“I will never return to this place”

ClubHotel Riu Bachata
Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 4 June 2009

I will never return to this place again. This resort charges and holds its self out as a 4 star. No way, the top of the rate I will say is only 2 or 2 ½ stars. I read reviews about this resort, and they so truths. It was our worse stay in the Hotels. Clean service people very rude, they put everywhere in your room small flowers, but you will wait all day for the bath towels, make sure to bring yours. I would highly suggest that you chose another resort and another location. If you do chose to stay at the Riu Puerto Plata, you know what to expect. Good luck.

1  Thank book2009
Write a ReviewReviews (5,440)

Reviewed 31 May 2009

Just got back from the Riu--we were first supposed to stay in the Merengue however, once we arrived at the lobby check-in, we were told "we've been upgraded to the Bachata".
I was at first excited, thinking maybe we were upgraded to a suite, but we were not...it was just another regular room.
At first, I was annoyed because I wanted to stay at Merengue but after touring the grounds, I was okay with staying at Bachata.
We were in 919, which is convenient to the main bar and right next to the theater & casino.

Food:
Bring Pepto!
No seriously, bring some sort of stomach aid because I have a pretty strong stomach and despite that, I found myself throwing up [and my bf running to the bathroom] at least once a day.
I think the sun + alcohol + rich/saucy foods did not help. For breakfast, I stuck with eggs, bacon, sausage and toast however, there's also cereal, yogurts, fruit, pancakes [or another sweet item], cheese & meats, croissants, danishes, etc.
Usually by the main dining room entrance, there is someone making fresh juices but I never tried them because I figured they were too sweet [all the "juice" drinks out of the machines are SOO sweet].
Lunch was the most disappointing.
We tried lunch at Bachata and Merengue and they were more or less the same: pizza [sometimes with nutso nonsensical toppings], three choices of pasta [red, white, pesto], rice, beans, some sort of vegetable like yuca or eggplant, sometimes fried chicken or bbq chicken, fruit...it was pretty bleak.
Most of our lunches, after trying the main dining room, were eaten at the "all day" restaurant, Marcuya.
In Marcuya, they always have burgers, hotdogs [but I didn't try them because hotdogs are a sketchy thing in general], ham & cheese sandwiches, fries [always french fries!], rice, beans, pizza--picnic-y stuff.
Also, there's a cold case of assorted salads, regular lettuce salads ["Ranch" dressing, a 1000 island imitation, and I think a faux French dressing], and also this really strange and really delicious cold sandwich with cheese and peppers inside.
I tried everything once or twice and the pizza/hamburgs are definitely not something you'd find in the backyard at your neighbor's BBQ--there's just something off with the food...not completely intolerable just overall so-so.
ALSO! We made reservations, with NO problems, for the steakhouse [they alternate steakhouse/italian every other night] and it was a total waste.
RIbeye was about as leathery as my belt, the beef filet was just okay but the sauces all tasted like watery gravy plus the accompanying veggies were just really overcooked Brittany veggies [cauliflower, haricot verts, etc].
There's really no need to eat here because the buffet at dinner as a lot more choice.
Dinner buffet was the best: always a special station of the night, making Caesar salads, pasta, chicken, etc.
There are theme nights but we only remember seeing Chinese [actually not bad food--eggrolls and lo mein were good] and I think Mexican...there's lots of choices nonetheless for every night... more elaborate than lunch.
FInally, late night snack food is only available at the Merengue restaurant.

Drinks:
Drinks in room are somewhat watered down--whiskey definitely isn't but rum and vodka are, so just add more if you make drinks in the room.
Tonic, Club soda, a gallon of water are also in the fridge.
At the bar, the frozen drinks allegedly have alcohol in them but I never tasted it, so I always asked for a shot of rum/vodka etc and added it to the drink.
The first night I was there, I went overboard with shots, etc and paid for it the next day haha.
My bf and I did notice that one night, while drinking at the theater bar, we each drank maybe 10+ pints of beer [Brahma is the only beer they have on tap] and we felt totally fine...not sure if that means the drinks were watered down or perhaps we're just boozehounds??? hahaha.
Either way, if your drink taste weak, just ask for more alcohol and the bartenders will kindly oblige.

Room:
The room wasn't nearly as bootleg as people on Tripadvisor previously stated.
Yes, the room could use a little "facelift" but its not like your staying in a crusty Motel!
Didn't see any bugs OR cockroaches [yay!].
Room is musty, but I think it's from the wood trim being a bit damp--I brought room spray and it didn't bother me after the first day.
Yes, the bed spread is thin like a table cloth but why do you need big blankets while you're sleeping in the Caribe??
Yes, the A/C is weak but the fan combination + the A/C was fine during the night--didn't wake up in a sweat or anything; we were perfectly comfortable every night.
The maids slack-off a bit: getting towels was an issue but if you just ask, they'll bring more.
Also, we had to call the front desk to request the mini bar be stocked and they said they'd come "right away" but really, it was like 30-45 minutes later, so do not get P-O'd when someone says "right away" because their "right away" is really "when I get a chance" haha.

Weather:
It's bi-polar.
Most days we'd wake up to sun and then by 2pm, it'd pour for 3 hours and then stop and be fine for dinner time.
Other days, it'd be overcast with sun and clouds and no rain and on other days it was sunny from morning to night.
Everyone has an umbrella, so you can still navigate around while it downpours.

Pool/Beach:
Bachata was the best!
Merengue pool is very, very small and cramped and I can imagine it'd be hard to get a sun lounger there--however--at Bachata, we had no trouble get a chair [even later in the morning].
People do put towels out early but it's mostly families who have babies and don't want their children frying in the sun [so they choose the cabanas].
Bachata has lots of space and the pool in front of the swim-up bar is the most active, so sit on the opposite end if you don't want to be around that craziness.
As for the beach, Merengue has a less obstructed beach, as Bachata has lots of palm trees to sit under.
However, there definitely are places to sit in direct sunlight at Bachata, its just a little limited.
Merengue also has Scuba Caribe and other water sports on the beach [kayak, windsurf, sun fish sailing boat, etc].
Yes, the water has a a lot of coral along the shore but once you get past that, it's pretty smooth--you can go out pretty far because there's a sand bar [not deep].
A lot of people were snorkeling right in front of the Bachata beach.
If you do choose to go to the Merengue to do kayaking or whatever, the men that assist you will no doubt ask you if you want to go on a "catamaran, horseback riding, ATVing, etc"--just say 'no' if you are not interested: be firm but be polite.

Entertainment:
When I read all the previous reviews about how "hard" the Animacion team works, I really didn't understand it but know I do: they literally sweat and work their butts off ALLLLL DAY.
My bf and I realized that one of the team members, Cappucinno, was literally working/dancing/entertaining/running activities from 9am until well past 10pm!!!
I seriously can not even imagine working like that all day, in the sun, always smiling, listening to the same music over and over again: I'd go insane haha.
But like I said, they are always smiling, always loud, and always trying to get you to join in activities.
We played horseshoes, I did a dance class, etc...its fun, so do something one day, even if you think its foolish.
At night they put on a show in the theater--I can't believe no one on here didn't mention the Kids Show!!!
That was seriously A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E.
All the kids get onto stage and try and mimic this girl that does all these really difficult moves and it's a riot, seriously, hilarious.
After that, they announce game winners of the day and then their nightly show begins.
We only watched the Caribbean dance show, karaoke and the African show...Caribe show was decent--this isn't Broadway or Vegas so take it for what it is--they practice, so give them some credit.
African show was interesting--pyrotechnics, etc.
Karaoke was fun because some people were really good and other were really bad haha.
They also have a Thursday night party on the Caribbean street--it was sort of boring and we left [but we were also exhausted and just wanted to sleep, so that didn't enhance our patience!].

Disco/Pacha:
It isn't huge, it isn't lavish but it's big enough were you can dance like no one's watching haha [literally, there's corners in the club where basically no one can see yuo].
The music earlier in the night is all reggaeton, etc but if you ask the DJ to play you something, he'll play literally anything--so don't be afraid to ask him.

Shopping:
I really didn't think that things were too expensive--I got a pair of shorts with Puerto Plata on them and a T-shirt for 20 bucks, which I think is completely reasonable.
I bought some Mama Juana booze and two cigars for 11 bucks.
People were buying chips and stuff and they weren't crazy expensive.
We bought Red Bull one night and I think two Red Bulls were like 3 bucks, same as in the US.
There's no bargaining in the Riu shops, so maybe try to weird shops at the end of the beach by Mambo and by the cove near Bachata.
We didn't go down there but we saw other people walking to the shops.
Also, you can buy junk at the airport Duty Free.

We didn't go into Puerto Plata or do any excursions because we didn't see the point.
Jet-skiing was 75 bucks for 30 minutes...all the excursions were just stupid expensive.
Ocean World is only a few minutes away, so if you like dolphins and all that stuff, you can check that out.
Oh, Casino is super sad and depressing hahahhaha.
There's a few people in there at the tables playing, a few people at the slots, and that's it.
We played Caribe Stud Poker and I was too intoxicated to keep up and lost my money [only $25 but still haha].
There's lots of couples, lots of children, lots of topless ladies, lots of men in speedos--the age range is probably 35-50 but there were also "young adults" and groups of guys from Jersey roaming the place.
I'd say we were probably 2 of maybe 50 Americans at the resort; the remainder was made up of a heavy influx of Europeans, Canadians, and then some Americans and a few people from DR.
The vacation is really what you make of it...so if you want to go crazy, drink your face off and play volleyball for 2 hours, you can do that and if you want to quietly read your book in the sun, you can do that.

2  Thank TravelwithSauce
Reviewed 26 May 2009

My partner and I spent 10 nights at the Riu Bachata at the end of January. We had originally booked and paid for the Riu Mambo, on the same property, but when we arrived, we were told by the hotel that we had been "upgraded" to the Bachata. I am glad that we didn't pay the extra cost of the Bachata, because I can't see where it was any better than the Mambo or the Merengue. The best thing about this resort was the Animation Team. They did an outstanding job of entertaining guests of all ages. Of the 11 days we were there, it rained for 5 of them. The Animation Team was always there with something to do, rain or shine. The buffet restaurant offered a wide variety and it was easy to find something tasty at all the buffet meals. We ate once at the Italian ala carte and once at the steak house. It was nearly impossible to get a reservation for the steak house because there are weddings almost every day of the week at this resort, and the wedding receptions are held in the steak house. Most days, we walked around all 3 resorts to see what was going on, and it was the same food, and same activities at all three. My only complaint about this resort was the cocktails. If you like sweet syrupy frozen drinks, you will have no problems, but the bartenders didn't really know how to make anything else. The liquor served is all Dominican, nothing top shelf. I feel that we got a lot of value for our money on this vacation, but I'm not sure I would book another Riu resort in the future.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank librarynurse
Reviewed 24 May 2009

Arrival: Aiport at Puerto Plata is slow slow & slow. Luggage took an hour to come through.
Hotel Arrival: Fruit punch on arrival in Reception (very nice as its so hot). Check in was good.
Room: Clean, mini bar (beers, coke & optics with rum etc).
Beach: Nice beach area, quite narrow & not very long.
Pool: Too many rowdy Americans for our taste. Foul mouthed, drunk, etc etc etc....soooo boring!
Food: Nice, but choice is limited.
Public areas: Gardens are lovely, bars, reception, show area etc nice - get taken over at weekends by Dominicans who come either for 1 or 2 nights or on a day pass - any other nationality then has to wait & wait & wait.....rude! Intimidating for people with young families - screaming in the gardens till 5/6 am etc. We went down for a coffee in the reception bar area at 5.30 am one morning as we couldnt stand lying there listening to it any longer security & reception had loads of calls over the weekends from people complaining but NOTHING! & someone had vomited all over one of the sofa's....food from the all night buffet all over the floors. A mess! We assume that this happened most nights, but was normally cleaned up by the time breakfast was on at 7am. (HOPE). The hotel have a policy written down that there should be no rowdiness etc in the room areas after midnight...JOKE.....if you have kids - dont bother!
Local Area: is in a group of 3 hotels, which you can use the facilities of all 3 - nothing else in the area....very expensive for taxi to town £35 return...shopping in the resort...rip off. But as they have the only shops there they charge what they like.
Staff: The most pleasant staff were people like the gardeners & the boys cleaning the beach each day.....all the rest just werent interested unless it is weekend & you're Dominican.

In all...beautiful area, nice enough hotel, but only a 3 star due to the poor location & the fact that you cant get a drink or a seat to eat at weekends (watch your valuables on those days too). we were ok but somehad sunglasses, suncream etc etc just taken from sunbed when in the pool/sea etc. Security so not interested.

2  Thank Peaches55
Reviewed 23 May 2009

Four of us stayed in the first 2 weeks in May 2009. out of Manchester and what a bargain..

Consisting of three RIU hotels all inclusive. and it really is all inclusive even down to a fridge full of beer and soft drinks.
The scenery is everything one would expect of the Carribean with warm nights and hot lazy days by the beach or one of the three pools..
The food in the Bachata was brilliant and eating on the open air terrace at breakfast and dinner truly wonderful. The staff could not be bettered with friendly waiters and even the chefs becoming first name friends.
Animation guys worked non stop to liven up our day and nights, but we could always pass their games and dances for a quiet laze by the blue sea..
We WILL be back for sure.... 10/out of 10 for RUI..
Ps Take $US for small tips

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 May 2009

We are not snobby travelers in any respect. We often eat in dives and stay in cheap hotels. However,based on the reviews I read before booking this resort, I was very disappointed. In brief, if you’re looking for sub-denny’s quality food, drinks mixed very strong with very low quality alcohol, and not leaving the resort, this might be the place for you. If you have visited a Bahia Principe or Dreams caliber resort you will be highly disappointed by the quality and variety of the food and bar service. If you like to get out of the resort to partake in things like scuba diving or surfing and enjoy actually using the water sports equipment you would be wise to choose another resort. I will not stay at another Riu resort. Other options are much better for a small additional price. The following is a detailed account of our experience. The good and the bad.

Getting to the resort: We purchased airport transfers from Coco Tours. After reading about airport “porters” I grabbed my bags after checking through and made my way past the swarm of airport staff. If you don’t need help simply say “no quiero aydame” and keep walking. After spotting the coco tours sign the guy grabbed our bags and led us to the bus. (It’s about 40 feet, it’s a small airport and the parking is just past the doors.) Once the bags were on the boat he told us that we owed him $10 for putting our bags on the boats. What? That was outrageous, but they have you captive and you have no choice. Apparently he wasn’t even with coco tours, although there is some agreement obviously. Rip off and waste of money. The return trip was better, but they only offered us departure 4 hours before our flight so we had to sit in the airport for 3 hours waiting for the plane.

The rooms: The rooms were reasonably spacious and all have a balcony. Upon booking I emailed a request to be near the pools and entertainment. We were placed in the closest building to the entertainment. That was nice. Our room had two queen beds pushed together. It was cleaned well. The toilet seat was broken, which made it difficult as it would not sit on top of the porcelain bowl and you had to kind of balance it to make it work. The refrigerator was very loud like cheap small fridges often are. We just unplugged it. Problem solved. There were ants in the room. Interestingly there were two different species that appeared to be battling on the dresser. I took a few pictures with a macro. It’s the tropics, you’ll have bugs. The rooms come with a small safe. It’s fine for everything we had, but don’t plan on putting a laptop in it. Also the rooms only come with one key, and it’s a regular key, so you’ll probably want to put it on a lanyard or something to carry with you.

Dining: The food was very low quality by American Standards. In fact if it were served at Denny’s it might get sent back. The meals were essentially the same every day with a few small changes. For breakfast you can expect the usual eggs, omelets, a few pastries, and some fruit. There was also usually French fries and mash potatoes as well as rice and beans for breakfast. Lunch will be fried chicken, not breaded, some type of pork dish, French fries, mash potatoes, rice and beans. At some point during every meal a European will cut right in front of you in line as if you don't exist. Expect it. It's gonna happen. I'm sure if they have yet to discover the idea of a line, or if they are just so arrogant that they feel they have a right to violate a social norm. Either way it gets old. I think I might actually prefer tweens to Euros.
Generally if something is not eaten at lunch or dinner you will see it again for the next meal. Dinner will be similar to lunch. The small snack area will have burgers that are unlike any burger I have ever eaten. They are filled with tendon and cartilage. I thought the first was bad and tried a second, but they were all the same. You won’t wonder why after seeing the living condition of the local livestock.
The Ala Cart restaurants are just the lunch/snack area sectioned off. While they say that there is a dress code, in practice there is not. Don’t worry about bringing a nice set of clothes. About half the diners were in shorts and t-shirts. The food was nothing special. In fact the steak and seasoned potatoes was a low quality thin cut of beef and French fries with a seasoned salt on them. It was also covered in some sort of brown gravy not listed on the menu. I don’t like gravy and would have asked for it on the side. The menu will be notably vague. It’s just the same stuff from the buffet. No point in going twice.
I’ll repeat this again. If this is your first time to an all inclusive you might accept the food. If you’ve been to a nice all inclusive or on a cruise, or even to an home town buffet you’ll be very disappointed. That’s not a joke. Home Town Buffet is a substantially higher level of quality.

Sports/Recreation: The sports and recreation department is absolutely terrible. In fact they are amazingly bad. The only thing they will get off their behinds for is a commission. They will continually try to sell you any type of excursion rather than allow you to use any of the equipment. Twice we tried to play ping-pong and were told that no one knew where the paddles were. They have tables, but lost the paddles. They appeared later. Apparently they don’t have a set location so they just store them around at the various bars or wherever. They have three pool tables, but only two sets of balls. And if you want to play you have to schedule a time. Even if the schedule is empty and it’s 9:35, you’ll be waiting till 10:00 before you can play. Not once during our stay were the water sports open other than about two hours one day the kayaks were available. Even then the staff just laid around. Literally, they were sleeping on the paddle boats and wouldn’t lift a finger to get you a life jacket or a paddle. Then as you were getting back they offered a horseback riding excursion. Moreover, while it was a “red” day, the staff had no problem taking out the windsurfing gear and playing with it. Of course no one else was allowed to use it. And when you ask why they conveniently forget how to speak English. (The are perfectly capable.)
The scuba diving is run by the same shop. Not a chance in hell would I trust my life with this group… ever. The only guarantee that they would bring you back alive would be the chance of getting another commission. There are much better dive shops in the area. Especially in Sosua. We are also seasoned divers and have a fairly easy time spotting a reputable dive shop and a shady one. While PADI licensed, this is a shady one. Also they charge $106 for a two tank dive. That’s more than the dive shops in Honolulu. Most dive shops in the area are priced from $50-60 dollars. And many have nicer rental equipment and are actual professional dive shops, rather than excursion operators.
The same experience can be applied to essentially all of the excursions. For example they will charge you $65 for the taxi to the 27 waterfalls while you can take the bus for 1 dollar. It’s about 5-7 miles away. Taxi’s are outrageously expensive. It truly is a burden to keep you from leaving the resort.
I almost forgot. The tennis guy is there all day according to the staff. However what they don't tell you until you complain is that he only waits 30 minutes at 8 am and if no one shows he leaves for the day. When we actually got to play tennis he was so drunk he passed out on his chair and then against the fence. I have pictures. It was probably one of the funniest things we saw while there. I took pictures.

Entertainment: I’m not even sure what to say. It’s more or less spring break type entertainment based on adolescent humor. Kinda funny at first, but it gets old quickly. The performance type shows would not be good enough to perform at most high school talent shows.

I guess that’s my thoughts at the moment. I would highly suggest that you chose another resort and another location. If you are on a budget Cozumel Mexico or the Yucatan south or playa del Carmen. Both would be substantially better options and likely cost less. They are also safer areas. We are not snobby travelers. We happily stay at cheap motels in Mexico, but we don’t expect a high quality of service. This resort charges and holds its self out as a 4 star, but should really be considered a 2 or 2 ½ star resort. If you do chose to stay at the Riu complex, you know what to expect. Good luck.

3  Thank jetboymt
Reviewed 20 May 2009

Over all good service ,but food was the same every day ,great pool and drinks and entertainment ,no wire less internet in rooms ,rock hard king size bed ,weak AC system and broken in room phone upon arrival otherwise the price was right 1300us for 2 , 6 days ,@ air from Newark NJ