“OK..but definitely not a five star resort!!..” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of ClubHotel Riu Bachata

ClubHotel Riu Bachata
Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
ny
“OK..but definitely not a five star resort!!..”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2010

Scene:When arriving you see the beautiful palm trees and catch a glimpse of the pool and think to yourself wow! the scenary is fantastatic.

Rooms:
Then you arrive to your room. Immediately the smell of cigar hits your nose as if someone were smoking in your room prior to your arrival. (yuck). The shower curtain was dirty and look as if it never were changed. The window curtain reeked of a foul odor. The toilet made whistling noises for minutes at a time(very distracting when trying to sleep). All of the oulets were covered! so any devices such as cameras, cell phones, ipods, etc. could not be charged. The floors were sticky. The bathroom mirrors were dirty as well. The room itself was 90% dust! The only plus were the porch outside of the room.

Housekeeping/Front Desk:

Although the staff were super friendly. Request such as irons, adapters or anything extra was promised but NEVER resolved.

Food:
HORRIBLE! Who goes to Dominican Republic to eat American Foods? No althentic Domican dishes were available. The drinks were watered down.

The beach was beautiful from a far but close up looked more like diaster struck. Their were which seemed like a million rocks in the water. There were more trees then branches on the beach which loss the natural appeal.

Riu Bachata is more a family based resort, so if you are single i wouldnt recommend this resort. The shows were entertaining but there isnt much to do otherwise.

All exclursions were over priced.

Overall, if you just want to get away and your not concerned about cleanliness, great customer service then this is the place for you. Otherwise find another resort and get your money's worth!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ChettaNY

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,003)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
nova scotia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2010

We stayed at RIU for fourteen days...7 Jan. 21st. Jan
As you can see from my rating I am not bias, but being honest.
The pool was not large enough for the number of people using it, therefor it seemed unclean even though I know the staff were doing maintenance every night(I wouldn't use it).
The food was very good and nobody got sick from it or the booze which IS watered down.
A good thing or there would be a lot of wrecks around by lunch.
The nightly shows were super-- the best we have seen in our 14 years of traveling to DR
The three resorts are wheelchair accesable but a scooter would be better--I know I brought my own!
The staff went the extra mile to make our stay memorable.
My wife says the beach wasn't very good but went every day.
In think having a safe in your room is a good thing BUT I'm not sure you would need one here.
The maids are honest and pleasant.
This is a good resort for the handicapped , only the beach is out of bounds
Bill & Donna , Clyde River, Nova Scotia

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
north west
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2010

moan moan moan!! do u people ever stop moaning about this hotel?? we flew back yesterday and we had the time of our lives the food woz great, the people were great the surrounding and sights were breath taking, i cant say one bad thing about anything and we were there 2 weeks! please people book this hotel its fantastic, the catermaran and quad biking is a must to!! it rained the first four days but that cudnt be helped, thats the weathers fault not the hotels! christ there is no pleasing sum people!! riu bachata is the nicest out of the three so ure best there, the pool is the best out of the three resorts! enjoy ure vacation! xx

2 Thank riubachata
liverpool
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2010

Two week holiday and it rained ..rained..rained... only had 4 days of sunshine. I have stayed at various RIU hotels in dominican republic and so knew what to expect.
The hotel itself is fabulous, beatiful surrounding an amazing beach. I dont understand the concerns over the food. We enjoyed it, was always piping hot. It can get a bit repetitive but thats it.
My main problem with the hotel was the alcohol. I had read on here that it was watered down but i didnt take much notice but its all Watered down. All the drinks are weak an it got on my nerves. I ended up buying bottles of my own rum from the shops in the complex( total rip off). You can ask for branded drinks but i suspect they are just local drinks poured into the bottles.
the only good entertaiment was the magic show... yes i did say magic show!

we did a few trips. the off road bugging and white water rafting which was awsome and really is rafting.
We also did the outback safari . It rained all day but we just got drunk on the bus. It was an amazing day and would recommend it.
overall the hotel was ok but was let down by the rain and booze!!

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2010

I travelled to the Riu Bachata with my partner for a 2 week stay from the 11/01/10 - 25/01/10. On arrival we were greeted with a cocktail and by a friendly informative member of staff we were then shown to our room and our bags were delivered shortly after. Our room was located in the block behind the bar and it was a great location, the room was very clean and comfortable although the air con wasnt great and if a ceiling fan hadnt of been provided it would possibly have been unbareble. When were staying at the hotel the earthquake in Haiti happened and this meant we were without water for almost a day, but the hotel handled this well and things could definately have been a lot worse, there were also a couple of power surges when we were there. On booking this vacation were told by Tompson ( and its stated in their brochure) its a 24 hour food and drink resort, this is false, we were advised by the reps that the snack bar is open until 2am on leaving pacha nightclub and arriving at 1.30am it was closed, we then discovered about halfway through the holiday their idea of 24 hr food is pre made dried up sandwiches located in a fridge next to the bar - not nice! The bar was also not 24 hours this is closed for a few hours a day too.....we wento Cuba a few years ago and stayed in a hotel which knew the true meaning of 24 hour all inclusive! The alcohol here is terrible, its blatantly watered down and was actually giving us tummy upsets from drinking it we resluted in getting a cab into puerta plata to buy our own bottle of alcohol to drink...the food was good and not repetative always a good choice....my partner suffered from a continuous upset stomach for the last 4 days of our holiday, wether this was due to the food or alcohol we arent sure. The pool and beach areas were lovely and the hotel staff were friendly. They really promote cleanliness by way of the alcohol hand cleaning sprays there are maids standing with these on every corner so thats great. The entertainment are amazing so full of energy and always playing practical jokes on one another, the Tompson reps are great too and are fabtastic at what they do, the reps charity night excursion was great fun and the Catamaran was an amazing day out - but they are sooooo expensive we couldnt believe the price of the excursions they certainly know a tourist when they see one and that goes for the shops on the beach and Carribean street too. We had a nice time and i think the people we met and the catamaran exvursion is what made the holiday for us, we made th epost of what was available. We certainly wouldnt say this hotel was anywhere near a 5 star as advertised by Thompson and it also should not be advertised as 24 hour all inclusive, i really think Thompson need to look into it. We went with an open mind and werent expecting the property to be a London idea of 5 star as we have stayed in Cuba before and we know they are poor countries, although we had a good time we wouldnt come back to this hotel as we found Cuba had a lot more perks and we preferred our stay there.

Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2010

Sunquest rates this a 5 star property...we've stayed at Ocean Blue(Punta Cana), and Sirenis (Mexican Riviera) and let me tell you, this is not a 5 star in comparison. The grounds and property are beautiful no doubt, but the amenities are lacking. The pools are pretty basic....no bowling alleys or lazy rivers. The restaurants are minimal...the food was fairly repetitive and there was little to "write home about." Who'd think in a tropical paradise they would serve papaya, pineapple, cantaloupe and oranges only? The a la carte restaurants you needed to reserve between 7 a.m. and 10 a.m......ridiculous....how about accepting reservations all day until they're full? The WINE, oh God! The wine was awful....I'm no connoisseur, but red wine out of a "keg" was unbearable.....by day 4, I had to buy a bottle of Chilean red from the gift shop for $17 so that I could actually enjoy wine with a meal.....There was NO ALCOHOL except locally distilled....at other 5 star resorts, we've enjoyed real Grand Marnier, etc.....alchol must have been watered down significantly because I can tell you I got more of a buzz from one bottle of wine than I did from drinking rum punches all day! Noone had problems with sickness in the family. In fact, they were extremely concerned with it doling out hand sanitizer everywhere you turned......I think gastrointestinal problems are more likely related to ignorant guests not washing hands after using washrooms....I certainly noted quite a bit of that.
We had pretty terrible weather, rain and cloud for half our vacation, but you can't hold the resort responsible for that, however, that's when amenities become all the more critical...the health club was pretty out-dated, internet service was very good and reliable.
Thank god for the in-room safes.....we were out by the pool all day and I came back to my room to find that either the maid or the bar-stocking service had left my room door wide open for god knows how long....not unlocked, WIDE OPEN!!!! Lucky for me, nothing stolen, semi-valuables left out, and all valuables were locked in the safe.
The first couple of days, running water availability was inconsistent and toilet didn't flush....that may have been a result of city water service interruption because of water main breaks related to earthquake.....phone in the room didn't work, had to request service on that twice.....otherwise, rooms were quite nice and well cleaned. The air conditioning in my room barely cranked out any cool air when I needed it.
We had three young children and I found that the kids club was pretty typical.....doesn't hold the interest of the kids over 7, and restricted to kids over 4....and the hours were so brief.....not like the full time Nannies at Pebbles in Jamaica!!!!(well worth the extra cost and 2.5/3 star ratings. The ladies at the kids club were very good and kind though.
There is something to be said for smaller resorts.....this one was so sprawling and so many guests, it lost its intimacy.....
Oh yeah, and what do you have to do to be better than those ignorant tourists that go out and hog lounge chairs by the pool at 6 a.m. by spreading 4 towels on them and then not showing up until 10:30 and sitting in them for maybe 1 hour before they're off to lunch or other activities and continue to reserve them? If anyone ever figures out an answer to that, let me know.
The entertainment was really quite good(the shows)...and the audience particip. ones were fun.
The beach was very natural and quite beautiful if you're not single-minded for fine white sand.....lots of palms on the beach for shade and lots of beach lounges.
Babysitting...the hotel can arrange it, for $10/kid/hour!!!! holy cow, bring Grandma with you! It would have cost us $100 to go to the smoky casino, or disco for a short evening out!!!! OH YEAH.....WAY, WAY TOO MANY SMOKERS!!!!!! (and of course no restrictions really)
Guess I could go on, but who's going to read it all anyhow? LOL You likely won't dislike it, I just can think of much better.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2010

Stayed at the Riu Bachata for a one week stay with my wife from January 16-23, 2010.

There are too many bad things to say about this resort I will only highlight some of them.

ROOM:

The room we were originally assigned to 1317, it was damp and moldy. A/C was not functioning, television was broken, no towels, the list goes on. We specifically requested a King size bed and were given two separate double beds. My wife and I are not fussy people but this was a bad start to what was supposed to be a relaxing vacation.

Upon speaking with management we were immediately upgraded to an oceanview room with a king size bed. We were pleasantly surprised and pleased even though we would have to wait until the next day to transfer rooms.

The next day we finally made the switch but not until 2pm, upon arriving we were quite upset to find the room damp, moldy, the A/C barely functioning and trees completely blocking the oceanview. The only improvement was that the television was not broken and we had our ''king size bed'' (two single beds pushed together!!)

My wife and I have never stayed at a 5 star resort whereby two single beds side by side are deemed to be a king size bed. Clearly unacceptable but we decided to try to enjoy our vacation.

FOOD & DRINKS:

One word describes both of these aspects; DISGUSTING. If you like bland, lukewarm and tasteless food then by all means this resort and it's two other sister resorts the Mambo and Merengue are for you.

If you want to eat french fries as part of your entree at an a la carte restaurant then this resort is for you. If you like tons of grisel and fat on low quality cuts of meat then you will not be disappointed.

If you enjoy having wine that is watered down, served from a draft tap then by all means book your trip now! If you want to have slushies all week long served from slushie machines and having to tip to get watered down alcohol added then by all means you are meant for this resort.

Throughout the whole week, I did not once see a new bottle of liquour being cracked open. On several occasions I witnessed staff carrying boxes of untapped liquor bottles to each of the main bars.

The beer, well let's just say it's like drinking watered down bud light....enough said.

SERVICE:

Let's just say that the service you get at a Comfort Inn or Days Inn far surpasses any type of service you will get at this resort.

The waiters would always show up at the end of the meal asking if we would like anything to drink. After the third day I just gave up, getting up myself to get drinks for my wife.

LOCATION/BEACH:

The worst beach I have ever seen in my life, way too much shade. There are sand fleas so beware, my wife and I decided to stay away from the beach after meeting several people that looked like they had been attacked by them. This one couple had what looked like 30 bites on each of their legs. Once again if you are looking for a relaxing beach getaway in the Caribbean stay away from Puerto Plata!

VALUE:

What can i say other than you get what you pay for. Despite all the negatives about this resort I cannot fault the price my wife and I paid $1,436 CAD for the both of us for a one week stay. Considering that airfare is roughly $450-$500 per person the price we paid was unbelievable.

We met several other couples who stayed during the same week who paid close to $1,200 each. This being said, if a family member or friend of mine were to find the same deal ($1,436 per couple) I would tell them to SAVE THEIR MONEY!

I was duped, I saw the deal and saw the rating (5 star) and booked immediately, I should have read the negative reviews on tripadvisor.

I will definitely not be returning to Puerto Plata and for that matter I will no longer even consider a Riu Hotel or Resort for my next vacation no matter what the price.

I hope this review was helpful and will atleast deter one couple from visiting this dump.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa
Grand Bahia Principe Turquesa
#61 of 110 in Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,029 reviews

Been to ClubHotel Riu Bachata? Share your experiences!