“Read this review before booking your wedding :)”

ClubHotel Riu Bachata
Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 25 January 2011

My review on the Riu Bachata is mixed. There are good and bad points about my experience.

First of all, we went there to get married and that part of it was beautiful. There were some little things, and big things, that could have made it a lot better though. First of all, when we got to the dinner and we wanted to do some dances with our family, all they had was this little CD player that the volume only went to like 3 and you couldn't hear the music at all, which meant I couldn't dance with my dad on my wedding night. I had already danced with my husband on the beach. they have a beautiful trio that plays after the ceremony.. that was nice.

Overall, it seemed a little rushed and the food at the a la carte steakhouse that night was not good. The beef was not nice, but this is mexico and if you have seen their starving cattle with their bones sticking out as you are driving by.. then you will understand why.

The food was kinda bland, but after a while, I think it would be anywhere.. The rooms were nice.. but I found this huge spider in my bed one night.. and they graciously offered to change our room.. I am a completed spider phobe.. not arachnophobic.. but I get creeped out.

I also sent my clothes to the laundry service and it came back moldy. They didn't do much to remedy that at all. It was all ruined.

The people that worked there were fantastic though. Eurys was my favorite and he worked at the front desk. Loved him. He was such a sweetie.

our maid didn't do much with our room either. We were there on our honeymoon the week after and there was nothing special that made us feel special.

Overall, just remember, we brought 60 people to the resort, but felt like our wedding wasn't that important to them. The co-ordinators were no where to be seen during our dinner reception and there wasn't even any one to talk to about the fact that the CD player wouldnt work. If you want to add any of the traditional things like dancing with your bridal party, dad ect. or MC.. you may want to make sure that they have the audio set up or can set it up for you.

• Stayed: February 2010
1  Thank SarahHiscock

Reviewed 24 January 2011

the view is fabulous - but the beaches have a lot of coral, so if you go swimming, you have to wear water shoes. It is in the mountains and the scenery is spectacular. I would highly recommend it if you are a pool person rather than a beach person. If you are looking for beaches to swim at, go to Santo Domingo or Punta Cana. - the only thing I would complain about (besides my sensitive stomach) is that smoking is permitted almost everywhere - so that was hard for me because I really have a hard time with smoke. Everything is open-air, but we always ended up next to someone smoking it seemed at night for the shows. The entertainment was great and the food was good... the rooms were very clean - I'd give them an A+ for our room service. The only other complaint I had, was that the second floor rooms were not well sound-proofed, and you could hear a lot of noise in the morning when room service came to clean (I stayed in a second story room for the first half of our trip with my parents). I was on the ground floor after my wedding and heard absolutely nothing except waves crashing and roosters crowing... get an ocean view room if you stay there - that is definitely my advice! Either building 5 or 6 ground floor is really nice - private, and beautiful views.

We went on this trip to have our wedding here - and all I can say is AMAZING. We had a wonderful experience with Maria & Nerys the wedding coordinators there, who answered all of our questions with ease! Everything went very well, we had additional parts to our ceremony and they all worked out just fine. We even had a battle with the weather, but still managed to have our beach wedding - not less than 10 minutes before it down-poured! Our photographer was great and made it look like we had a beautiful day out! We had our wedding dinner at the steak house, and the food was great. Our cake was one of the best cakes I have EVER tasted, and I am a cake fanatic. It was super moist - pineapple on the top tier and chocolate (my FAVORITE) on the bottom! How I wish I still had that cake...

We then moved to the pool side bar which we rented for a small fee ($400) From 8-Midnight. We got a DJ and our own bar tender to tend just to our 26 guests! We had a great amount of space to dance and party, and the DJ was able to hook up our IPod to play our song list.

The flowers were the best - orange was my color, and they made our flowers look just absolutely stunning. It went by far too quickly, and I wish I was still there!

We also took an excursion a couple of days after our wedding to Paradise Island. All I can say is WOW! Well worth the money... wonderful trip - water was cold at this time of year, but still beautiful. We also bargained with the tour company reps and got them from $120pp to $60pp - so definitely use your bargaining skills, and be willing to walk away before you come back. Also use the information that you can get the same tour for much cheaper in the city of Puerto Plata... because you can, and most of them will give you the price you want. Also be aware of the ability to bargain in the little huts on the beach where they sell souvenirs etc.

The spa was also fantastic - although I wouldn't spend the money on a manicure or pedicure. They do NOT have acrylic tips or filler - so don't expect to get a nice set of nails if your didn't come with them. It was fine for us as I have long natural nails anyway. I HIGHLY recommend the hydrating facial - my skin looked radiant on my wedding day (I got it the day before...). Hair salon did a fantastic job with all of us, and I am just so happy we went to RIU Bachata for our wedding. Can't say enough great things about the experience.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions about the wedding and or the resort. Great trip, fantastic wedding - just don't go there looking for something that isn't there (ie. white sand and calm bath-warm water.) Be realistic about the experience and you should have a fabulous time! The mountains are absolutely beautiful

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LaLuna333
Reviewed 22 January 2011

I just got back last night from the RUI Bachata and my suit case is still unpacked, thats how fresh this review is. I arrived Jan 16 and flew home yesterday morning, 7 days of fantastic sun and one of the best Hotel Resorts I have visited. As for a comment to some of the people that have written negative false reviews about the RUI Bachata, and I read over 50 plus reviews before I went Jan 16, some people need to get their head out of their butt and stop slamming this resort with bad reviews. Holy Cow man....this place is all it represents and I cannot believe or support the negative comments which I read before arriving her at the RUI Bachata .
But I will start by saying here with my MOST NEGATIVE COMMENTS on my trip first, as they are some that are NOT mentioned here anywhere.
To start with? The Toronto Airport and their park and fly.
I had to wait 30 minutes at the park and fly to even get to the airport, at 230 am and in the cold.Then after arriving at the Thomas Cook check in at the airport, I was about 100 people back from the check in counter. Now I 'll mention that I pre-boarded earlier and had my seat assignment already, which meant NOTHING once I got to the counter, 45 minutes later. I was pre-boarded and had assigned seats in row 6 and ended up in the 31st row. They had no explanation or apoligy but blamed a servor error and claimed the plane was fully booked and assigned. The Thomas Cook Manager had nothing to say either for their mistake and refused any apoligy or correction to their mistake but advised me to contact Thomas Cook on my return. That doesn't help me now but fair warning to all that have paid the pre-boarding fee or pre-board online.
The plane was spacious, leather seating and roomy enough, and other than the fact the earphone jack on my seat didn't work, my other complaint was that the width of the hips on the flight attendant were wider than the main walkway and jolted passengers as she thundered down the isle. The warm breakfast and good flight attendant service was a pleasant surprise and appreciated.
Upon arrival at the Dominican Airport after a rough turbulent flight and the worst landing I have ever experienced the airport was nice and clean and easy to get around in. More on the airport departure later and Thats the most important advise you will hear here and has never been mentioned ever here.
The tour busses were all lined up with assistance to each and every Hotel/Resorts and cold beers were available for purchase. About a 40 minute drive to the Bachata through some mind boggling traffic with numerous scooters and people just walking like chickens all over the roadways. Like I said, Mind Boggling!
Check in at the Bachata was quick and easy in the main lobby with reciept of the trip itinery and flight reciept. Everything was all pre-packaged with room keys, safe key and all maps describing the building locations. The property was beautiful with countless numbers of Domican vegatation and palm trees surrounding the buildings and poll area.The room was clean and neat. The mini fridge was filled with cold soda's,fresh bottled water and of course, cold beers. That was a huge hit with us as we were parched from the proceedings so far. The beds were two doubles together as one with marble floors throughout. The TV supported about 100 channels, I suspect on cable and had about 10 in english in some of the major networks, ESPN,NBC,ABC, SPEED...to name a few. But really people, are we here to watch TV anyways? Morning news was nice and a bit before shut eye.Other than that, we were never in the room.
The RUI Bachata support network,meaning as all the staff in the resort, I figure is about one to every five guests there.I mean their staff is HUGE in numbers! and all so pleasant and friendly. The management bent over backwards to make sure your stay was everything you expected and more. If there was a problem with anything? ASK and its resolved.Super friendly and very attentive to your every needs, and everything is impectably maintained. If I had one negative commment so far, it would be the beds as they are not the pillowtop high quality mattresses that some are used to and are the best quality that are available to the Domican Republic Resorts.
The food. Ok people, you can't find a better buffet in a resort for everyone's want, and have to haves. Fresh and abundant tasty dishes everyday with every night having a different theme for the main buffet. The service was bar none and again at your every wish with fresh water,a glass of wine, and a pot of coffee in the mornings. Tipping is not mandatory but even two bucks for dining for two, is well deserved and appreciated by the bar staff and waiter staff. They don't expect tips but are very appreciated if a buck or two falls their way, so please tip a few anyways.Their smile and gratitude is priceless and life enlightening. The bar can only be described as endless possibilities and plentiful. There are three bars, one at the pool open 10am to 7pm and another two in the main courtyard open 10am to 7am the next day. The entertainment has been well represented here by all already and in a word, fantastic both by the day entertainment staff and the evening entertainment on the main stage! There is some shopping that can be done on their own little Caribeean street with lots of local treasures at reasonable prices. PLus the biggest perk again not mentioned anywhere.... is the fact you have three RUI resorts within walking distances(5 minutes) apart. You can use all their facilities for the same price except for their dinners. The al a cart resturants, in my opinion both are over rated and I didn't care for the extra reservations and the food was not so different. The steak at the Barbeque was far better than at the Steakhouse and don't expect a 1" steak as you will be disappointed. I would say more like a 1/2" at best.
As for my opinion on bad children running wildly? Here it is, there are more BAD PARENTS that allow their children to run wildly than bad children. The parents have no consideration for other guests and their bad parenting. Some guests don't enjoy the company or carrying on of other people's children and the parents need to control and respect others. Enough said on that and all you parents know what I mean, or should.
Finally, and sorry to be longwinded here but here's the worst surprise at the airport at departure. They weigh your bags, all of them including carry on and you pay accordingly. The two suitcases my wife and I had were 20 kilo's each which is the allowable weight. But you add the carryon bags, and everyone was over weight as I packed my gifts in carryon to save the weight in my checked luggage. My cost was an extra charge of $180.00 and they have no compassion for no one telling you of this. And really All I and my wife had was some gifts and stuff in a shoulder bag. Talk about a rip off? Man was I ticked off and a good control of your temper is good advise to remember as they won't argue with you but will have their security deal with you.
Thats it! Great place and highly recommended. Email me if you like, I had a great time!

5  Thank trailboss05
Reviewed 20 January 2011

I have just returned from the Riu Bachata, O'h my god what a fabulous place, loads of sun loungers, fabulous pools, and the animation team were just the best (especially Jack Daniels) The service manager Freddie went around the complex daily chatting to guests to see how everone was, he was so nice. the rooms were big, very clean and the maids were on hand for anything that you needed. the only thing we were not keen on is the beach as it has too many palm trees.I had read some horrendous reports before we went, but to all of those people who had complaints you must all be crazy, i will definately be going back to this hotel. O'h and i would recommend the massages they are fab.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank jellybeanNorthwich
Reviewed 17 January 2011

Before I left I read the reviews on TA, I was a little worried because some of the comments really sabotaged the Resort,and were really really unfair and false some people said they were hungry? give me a break, there is ample food and it is pretty decent
Breakfast
Omlette station with ham,cheese,and veggies to choose from
bacon,sauges,fruits and lots of pastries that were covered and maintained, lots of bread variety, fresh juices coffee tea milk and a cereal section ,they bring you a big kettle of coffee on your table upon your arrival and ask if you want anything to drink (excellent breakfast) just no yogurt and limited cheese variety but that was ok
Lunch
most days there was; fries (really yummy )and burgers were really good and lots of protien grain stews like lentil, chickpeas, blackeyed peas, okra, and a variety of pasta, chicken and lots of fresh pizzas, a salad bar & much more to list

Dinner
Mexican night really good
Chinese asian night really good some sushi, fried rice,spring rolls lots of food (pretty good)
some nights they had a rack of lamb which was delicious also loved the variety of rice with beans and sometimes they had rice with veggies lots and lots of food
Ala carte Italian restaurant was really yummy chicken stuffed with eggplants (i loved it)
my husband got the steak he liked it better than the chicken
The steak house was excellent and really good, just a little salty for the veggies but didn't mind, o.k wine we got red and rose from both restaurants not excellent quality but suffice
lots of drink variety beer, pop and juice

Also the manager I think he was german, fluent in english on several ocassions personally came and asked how the food was, how our stay was, and asked if we needed anything while we were eating (5* hospitality)

Yes the food was not gourmet, but it was clean, we didn't get sick, (I fed it to my 10 month baby girl) and my mom and husband were also satisfied with the food, there's lots of it and always something good and healthy to eat, I would give the food with 10 being excellent 5*quality - a fair 7.9/10

I loved the resort, such good service and no one haggled me like some people said they ask once and they won't ask a second time if you want to see there shop, if you have time go by the shops on the beach bay, ask for henry he is a good guy and shows you some cool soveneirs to purchase, like art, mamajuana which is like a fertility drink, looks cool in a bottle and makes nice for conversation piece when u bring back!

Just book, don't worry you will have a good decent vacation if you are an easy going person you will have fun, if you are a pessimest lets face it even in paradise a negative person will find something negative to say!!

The resort is beautiful to walk around its fairly big and the mountains around it make it very serene

The beach is nice and o.k to swim in, there are so many different spots to enter the beach some are smoother sand than others, it didn't have rocks like some claim, it is just coral washed up on shore, just bring your beach shoes, I let my baby play in the sand near the bay and it was calm clean and good enough for her and me!

Rooms are always cleaned daily, fridge always refilled every day, and I used more water than most because of the milk for the baby, and they delivered extra to the room in 3 minutes after asking reception for it

SERVICE IS EXCELLENT
I have approached over 20 staff members for various requests all are pleasant and well spoken, courteous and willing to help with a smile
front desk 5+
Maid/housekeeping 5+
Doctor on site5++(husband got very high fever first hour arrival from people on plane that were sick) he saved his life and was there 5 minutes after we asked for him
Dr.Frankling is amazing and his assistants are excellent he came to our room, and it's a good idea to purchase medical insurance, because it covers medication and dr.visits god forbid you need it!

Entertainment 4+ (energetic and funny) micheal jackson show is good and karaoke is funny when you drink and watch

Bars overall 4.5 only because i like beer and I didn't like the local beer that much but they have pina coladas,strawberry daks just ask for alcohol otherwise they assume you want a virgin, and when you ask for alcohol OMG they put in so much LOL me and my mom got tipsy of two pinas! we tipped most times but I don't think it matters if you don't you'll still get everything you want because it wasn't that busy

HAVE FUN!!!

6  Thank linatravel
Reviewed 17 January 2011

Hotel was nice and staff was wonderful and always there to help! Beach was not so great, red flag was always up, too much seaweed and rocks on the beach! Before you go make sure to check out the weather pattern, cause it rain 5 out of our 7 days :(
Food was excellent, drinks were plentiful and nightly entertainment was good! Disco was fun, but you had to go to the Riu Mambo to get to it!!
Excursions were great, we did alot, Monster Truck, Paradise Island, Ocean World and a Pub Crawl! SOOOO Much fun! Overall it was a great experience, but probably wouldn't go back to this side of the island!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CarrienRobb
Reviewed 16 January 2011

Im just going to reply to the bad comments I read before my wife and I went down. I reviewed over 50 reviews(mostly about complaints) as I hadnt been there in 6 years. We like to be prepared if possible. First I have no control over policy/planning/menu or the weather at any resort. It is what it is get on with your holiday and enjoy life to the fullest.
Because of those earlier reports we took the usual items needed, facecloths, bug spray, air freshener, all kinds of medical stuff. Used the air freshener for the room some beause of (yes) the musty odor. We found it goes away if you just air out your room really well after your showers for a while. Some rooms have poor ventilation in the bathrooms and NO window to the outside. A little air flow and scented spray does a super job. The two rooms we had were both clean and insect free(of ALL bugs) Believe you my wife checked. We talked to several other and the only problems we heard about were self caused by leave a screen open or food about.. If there is a mechanical or technical problem with equiptment call them or speak directly to a customer service manager on duty IT WILL get fixed(although some times on Dominican time) And not usually between 1-3pm. The beach stretches about a mile or more and has a variety of shade and sun. Quiet places and sports places. Hundreds of loungers for all. The only draw back here is NO beach bars with mixed drinks and only one with beer and one end of the beach(Mumbo). A couple of days they had waiters around on bikes or walking for orders but personally I like beach bars for my large Canadian "cooler" cup.
We stayed a Bachata and could go to all three resorts at anytime for any meals.
If there wasnt something appealing at one we walked to another and "shopped" for something we desired..We ALWAYS were satisfied with every meal. But after two weeks it did drag on with a zillion ways to do chicken and pork. And to be frank I would not eat the burgers or hotdogs, mainly because of the way the meat in the burgers was cooked and I didnt travel 2000 km for a hotdog. Two or three times I could have killed a small flock of chickens the preparation was sooo good(wings)with beer. To my great surprise I located fried liver and onions twice. It was quite a delight and cooked really well to my astonishment. There's a nack to it, if U havnt done it prior. The carving stations were hit and miss, depending on the staff and his knowledge of what he was doing. But he can only do so much with what he has to work with. The roasts of Ham were the best I thought. Remember it is difficult to keep everyone satisfied when you have people from Europe, North America, South America, Asia, and locals(who also PAY). A good example I now of is Bacon. In North America we like long crispy strips usually salted, in the UK the like is soft and small, and in some baltic states it just horrible stuff on the breakfast menu. Much like Im not fussy about brown beans or chicken wings for breakfast, but I dont complain because there're there. Like I said before it is what it is make the best of it, enjoy.
The shows must be entertainment for some because they always were well attended and people laughed and cheered. Did I attend No because thats not my thing. Did I go expecting to see a first class act to sway my thinking No The "star" rating is for the Domminican Republic. The shows that I have seen(in 3 countries)could make a highschool stage but probably not a university is north america. They try hard, put in a good effort and attempt to Entertain for less than we pay for a soda here.
Will we go back to this resort, maybe. Did WE get our moneys worth? Soundly YES.
Were there problems, yes. Did they outweigh the negatives hell no.
Oh yes, can you shop on the resort yes, if you dont care about money. The hotel charges as much as 40-50,000 peso(1,300 US) a month from the owners of the shops.
Take the bus trip to town or go as a group in a rental and enjoy the day out. Those taxi guys will do just about anything for a buck or two and to keep U happy There are supermarkets like our superstore/walmart that sell, food, boose, tobbacco etc and reasonable prices. Be honest with them You want good stuff and cheap prices.
If you are easy going, want to relax always have access to alcohol this is the place to go. Dont expect a quiet pool area though at this end of complex. Keep you empty plastic water or pop bottles for the mini fridge to capture mix for your rooms. Each room has a fairly large ice bucket but U have to refill it(take a bag with U to meals).
Dont tempt fate if its of value to you it might be to someone else too. Lock it up, especially electronics. There were some incidents. The front desk will secure larger laptops if you ask I believe as one of our people did that.

2  Thank Mallard119