“I would go back in a Heartbeat!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort

The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
New York
“I would go back in a Heartbeat!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

Ok so let me start of by saying I was prepared for the worst when it came to booking with this resort solely based on the reviews on Trip Advisor. I scored a great deal with CheapCarribean.com for $19/per night All-inclusive. With a deal like that how could one complain? (Well just a little). I was prepared to feel like a 3rd class citizen. But that was not the case for me and my two friends’ .We had a great time and met some really cool people at the resort. We stayed for 4 nights from Aug 26-Aug 30 (during the time Hurricane Irene was in the US, which thank God didn’t interfere with our trip as it has for the majority for others. We were really blessed to have a good trip.)

My friends and I only had two caste system experiences. As we were wondering around the resort we came upon the VIP Serenity beach. As we approached the steps we were told we do not have access to this area. But we did have access to the V.I.P beach which is the same set up as the Serenity Beach excluding the hammocks. Our second experience was after the nightly show at the Coliseum as we were leaving we saw some people heading to the direction of the VIP Pool Bar area so we followed suit only to be denied entry because of our wristbands. Besides the VIP Pool area looking real swanky it was DEAD almost every night…like total of 10 people or so. So we were not missing out on anything. And the truth of the matter is the majority of the people residing in the villas or suites hang out in the Tropical Beach resort area because it’s lively and a focus of where a lot of things happen.

KNOW BEFORE YOU GO: Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort & Spa is part of the Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort which includes 4 other resort properties enclosed in one area, so basically 5 living resorts in one. (The Tropical Beach, Presidential Suites, The Crown Villas, The Crown Suites, And THE RESIDENCE SUITES)This is the reason why there are different colored wristbands and different privileges that go along with them. Booking with the Tropical Beach gives you the basic all-inclusive privileges, booking thru Cheapcarribean.com (white bracelet) gives you some “VIP” perks such as access to the VIP beach and the “VIP Welcome Party and Ocean Word (only on Thursdays). This is the reason as some feel like it’s a caste system. The Tropical Beach resort is the budget resort (easy on the pockets) out of the 5 properties of the Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort. But do not be mistaken the rooms are just as contemporary as the other resorts on the property.
I manage to break down some of the color coding of the bracelet: white bracelet-cheap-Caribbean staying at the Lifestyle Tropical Beach resort, Gold shimmering bracelet: Presidential Suites, Blue bracelet: staying at the Crown Villas but is not an owner of it. Black bracelet: crème of le crème. Members that own the property they are staying at and have ALL the VIP privileges (even the cool helicopter rides to the airport). I saw a few with orange wristbands but didn’t get the opportunity to find out what it status meant.

Check-In: The lobby was very busy. Check-In was slow and disorganized around 4ish pm. The bell boy did a nice job explaining things about the resort and how certain things operate while carrying our luggage to our room.
Our Rooms: We were placed in Building 3 which was close to the lobby/bar and directly across from the Casablanca restaurant (all you can eat buffet). Our room was simple and clean and had a balcony with two chairs and a table. All the rooms have a balcony. The rooms were not outdated at all. The bathroom shower stall I was not too fond of only because there was no closing/barrier to prevent water from escaping the shower area, expect to use your white towels to soak up the water on the floor. The bathroom did have some toiletries. The AC and Fan worked very well. I loved the two big sliding closet mirrors. The TV had some US channels like ABC, CBS, and NBC which were great for tracking news reports on the Hurricane Irene. HBO in English was great also with the Spanish subtitles.

The Food/Drink: Man ..the buffet style food at the Casablanca restaurant was G-O-O-D. I honestly don’t know what is wrong with some of those reviewers’ taste buds if you couldn’t find one item of food that was good and to label the food as horrible. If you every paid $30 for buffet food at the Showboat at Atlantic City you would know that the buffet food there is horrible. So I have something to actually compare it to. Now let’s talk about the all-inclusive liquor they serve which s was downright HORRIBLE. I had had 3 drinks thru out the first day there and I got ill which gave me diarrhea. I stayed away from drinking all alcohol on the resort except from the VIP beach which serves REAL premium alcohol which I did not get sick at all. I spent most of the time eating from between Casablanca and the Blue Lagoon. The Blue Lagoon serves food when Casablanca is closed and prepping for the next meal time and it also stays open late nights when you’re hungry around 3 am in the morning like I was after partying..lol. You can also take you food to go from both restaurants just ask for a container.
We were able to book one reservation at the day of check in which was around 4 pm for the following day so we luck out because that restaurant still had availability. We ate at Trapiche Paradise (Mexican Restaurant). The food was somewhat good; certain items were a hit or miss, like their guacamole, which looked like runny green oatmeal. The margaritas were disgusting because they use the cheap nasty liquor. My soup and entrée was delicious.

The Welcome Party on Sunday’s is not to be missed. The food is in abundance and top of the line delicious. It felt like a big wedding reception party. The entertainment was on point. The saxophone player played his heart out. The fireworks …the champagne. It was wonderful.

SPA: Get the opportunity to get a tour of the spa it’s real nice. I booked an appointment for a nice package deal but cancel because I’ve spent too much money on excursions and shopping for gifts.

TIPPING: I didn’t do much tipping at the resort besides once at the VIP beach and for the bell boy who carried our luggage to our room and from the room during check-out. And I still received pleasant service. I do believe it’s about the aura you bring. You should ACKNOWLGE your servers and workers on the resort. Be friendly and say hello/hola..Buenos Dias. Stuff like that goes a long way.

Thanks to the reviews we were able to avoid the timeshare guys with their clip boards, mostly due to the fact that (1) they harass you at breakfast time at the Casablanca restaurant. Which we never had an opportunity to eat because of our early morning excursions or we missed breakfast time. They tried to talk to us but we just skip on by them and told them we don’t want any free gifts and kept it moving.

Check out my videos/pics

Room Tip: Building 3 was a nice location. Right next to the lobby bar area and across the Casablanca resturant...
13 Thank UrbanTravelBugg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,010)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Ridgewood, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

My family n I (19 of us) stayed at this hotel during the second week on August. We were very excited about our family reunion and our vacation together, but the very first impression that this hotel gave us was awful!!!! It took 2HOURS for check-in. I have never seen a front desk staff and supervisor so unprofessional! After finally getting our rooms (7 of them) one of the had no AC, we reported this right away but of course it took the hotel hours to figure out what they were going to do. I can go on and on and on about all the bad service given to us for 4 days and all I can say is that, the staff only caters to the VIP members. They even tell you in your face when you ask any question or have any request. They make you feel like your money is worth nothing if you are not VIP. I had a customer service concierge tell me "Oh that's what happens when you go the cheaper way" just imagine that. Very disappointed with this experience! If you wish to stay at this hotel and want to be treated like you are suppose to be treated u MUST pay the VIP accommodations if not you will feel like how we felt. Everyone that was not wearing a Gold VIP resort bracelet had the same complaint about the staff. Upper management should take into consideration of re-training everyone and not having the staff focus so much oh how much you paid for your room, because practically we eat at the same restaurant, bath in the same pool and walk on the same sand..........

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank Elizabeth S
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

Just don't go. The people are rude, the food is terrible. If you are not a member of the time share, you are a 3rd class citizen. There is a helicopter that is constantly flying over the pool. The rooms are nasty, they don't honor anything that they say, you can't make reservations at the other "restaurants".

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Mikey G
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2011

Shame on me for believing the good reviews over the bad ones. I generally give resorts the benefit of the doubt over a few grumpy traveler reviews, big mistake.

First, it does have a great location on a small beach in Puerto Plata. So I'll give it that. If you're buying a "VIP" package through cheap carribean, you're in for a rude awakening. The VIP area that cheap carribean provides you access to is a tiny sectioned off area on the beach with some nice beds and a pseudo sushi bar (they serve California rolls and salmon rolls). This is the only area where they serve import liquor; everything else is watered down Dominican brand liquor. The good at the restaurants is below average at best. Oh and if you're expecting to lounge around with a drink and some chips and salsa, don't. They apparently don't know what chips and salsa are.

The rooms are clean and quaint, I don't really care too much as ling as the bed is clean and they're a hot shower.

Their idea of service consists of the words, "later", "no", "we're out", and "I'm sorry, that's not a part of your package".

I avoided the pool like the plague for fear of catching it.

To top if off, the first morning a guy who called himself our concierge offered to take us on a tour of the resort and make our dinner reservations for it. This consisted of passing us off to a time share sales rep who spent the next hour showing us the real VIP areas that were just gorgeous. Of course, out VIP package included the use of not a one of these beautiful facilities. When I asked him to quit hoeing us what we couldn't do and start showing us what we could, he said have a nice day and left us standing in the middle of the resort.

One positive experience was after relaying all these experiences to the hospitality manager, she gave us a room upgrade to a better location.

Everyone on staff walks around with a shirt that says,"Tell only your best friends", we thought it better to tell only our worst enemies.

• Stayed August 2011
      Location
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank Ryanvantuyl
Bronx, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

Not sure why there are so many bad reviews here! I came back from Lifestyles this morning after staying a week and have nothing but good things to say about my stay.

I came with 2 of my girlfriends and we had an absolute blast!

The entertainment all around the pool is great. The guys who work in the shows and around the pool are very fun and good looking and are always making sure you have fun. The welcome party was wonderful...great dancing..music...fireworks..it was spectacular. The club was fun on the weekends. They play mostly dominican music - merengue, bachata, dembow..ect. Not for all crowds, but if you'd like to learn how to dance to Dominican music, you're in the right place.

The pools were awesome. The swim up bar was great. Had a great bartender too at the pool bar and the reception bar. I would see them every day, and they were so friendly, I had to give them all a hug when I left!

Not sure why people are complaining about the food. It was good stuff!! It's mostly Dominican food in the main buffet Casablanca. You're in the Dominican Republic, not America. Obviously the food is going to be different - DUH! I thought the food was great. For the most part, all of it was very tasty and there was a lot of variety. After a week there, I didn't get sick of any of the food, as there was so much to choose from. Went to the Asian restaurant, and it was also pretty good. Good service too.

The room was cleaned up always. The resort was spotless. There was always people cleaning the floors by the pool, sweeping leaves, mopping, landscaping. There were no mosquitoes on the premises....not even lizards which usually surround the island.

When hurricane Irene was nearby, there was a lot of rain and wind for 1.5 days, so the beach was closed because of the heavy waves, as were the pools. We ended up staying at one of the bars to pass the time. The drinks were pretty good. Make sure you get rum drinks with Brugal, and try the Presidente beer.

The resort is very large and pretty. It was nice walking through it from one end to the other.

The shows were fun at night. Lovedddd all of the guys...caramelo, scooby doo, cuchi..all of them so much fun. There was always something to do here. I loved it and definitely want to go back!

I still can't understand these horrible reviews. When you're in a different country, things are usually a little different. The service was great, the people were friendly....great place to be in..seriously, come here with friends/family, you'll have a blast!

9 Thank nkkny1
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

I was extremely sceptical of the Cheap Carribean $19/night deal. Also reading the reviews posted here I almost cancelled my trip. SO glad I didn't. I have no idea where all those who talked badly about this resort stayed.. NOT on this earth. The place was very clean. The amenities were awesome. The food was OK. If you think the staff was not polite did you stop to think of a language barrier? We are in their country. They speak Spanish! Don't get upset if they don't understand you!!!! I was there during Hurricane Irene & they wen't out of their way to make us comfortable. My only complaint is the limited wi-fi area. I will return and reccomend this resort to all.

5 Thank Renee1969
Gary, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

This resort was not representative of what was advertised on the Cheap Caribbean website. Cheap Caribbean advertise this resort as a 3.5 star. In reality, it is at best a 1 star resort. My complaints are three fold: facility, services, and natural disaster.

First, facility was not representative of the pictures shown in your advertisement. Your pictures are of a room that is spacious, nice and clean. The room we received was dirty. The ceiling fan, vents, and floor had visible dust that had been accumulating for many months. The room was full of flies, ants, moths, tree roaches (yes they live in the trees but when they exterminated ffrom the many complaints the roaches came inside), and other bugs. The city dump is across the street and the same flies that in the decomposing garbage for the city are in the open buffet Casablanca (and other resteraunts). I saw flies in the food that was sitting out-When I told the staff to remove it because of the bugs they acted like they couldnt understand until I asked for management. Then Their English got better. The room had a molded smell. House keeping responeded by bleaching the room and bleached my suit case in the process and we could barely breath because the bleach was so strong. Now I have a discolored suitcase from the bleach. The sink kept clogging when you ran the water. The water was apparently contaminated and not drinkable. I became very sick after the first day and the staff stated that I should not have used the water out of the faucet to brush my teeth with (HINT: bring bottle water-they give you 3-4 bottles a day in your room but I needed 1 bottle for brushing my teeth and rinsing and had to share the other 2 bottles with my girlfriend to drink-ALL DAY). The only other bottle water is at VIP beach and that was a long walk for 1-2 bottles of water. We ran out of water daily (every morning) and could not shower till afternoon. Our neighbor took the 5 gallon water jug from the drinking dispenser in the hallway to his to take a bath with. The electric power kept going out daily, even before the hurricane. Hence, so did the air conditioner. It is very hot there, so no air conditioner and no water is rough. They advertised cable TV. The tv was an old 19" that needed a new tube. The picture was very snowy and most channels did not show. There were messages from the Dish provider that they needed to pay the bill (contact the provider). Our sheets were never changed. The tile in the shower was cracked and jagged, I cut my foot open while trying to shower. They did not have face towels and hand towels after the first day. They only gave us large bath towels and stated that they would bring them later (usually late night). They woke us up every morning at 7 am with loud construction noise where they were building a walkway. We compained to management daily, but to get another room there was an upgrade fee. I guess you have to pay extra for a clean, bug free room.

Secondly, natural disaster, Hurricane Irene compounded the horrible situation with her arrival. The staff wanted to charge us to call about air flight status. They did not want to give us regular updates, just kept stating they did not know status. Late Monday night, they stuck a flyers in the door to stay in room after 10 pm and to bring in patio furniture. At a 3.5 star resort, why should I have to drag in heavy patio furniture. Plus, as I mentioned the room was so tiny, imagine how this was compounded by the patio furniture inside. Once again we lost electricity (air) and running water. This was too much because I already had been sick with diaherria for 5 days prior and could not flush the toilet. This became a very unsanitary living condition. The beach and pool were closed due to the Hurricane for days. They did not give us evacuation information. We had to walk in the rain and wind to go eat because only VIP could have transpotation to and from resteraunts. Subsequently, my health concerns were compounded by a very bad cold. When I went to the gift shop to buy aspirin and cough syrup, they stated that it could only be obtained at the medical facility. The doctor stated that I had to pay for services and be reuimbursed from my insurance. He also stated that the aspirin was 1 dollar (US) per tablet and the cough syrup was 20 dollars (US) for a small bottle. He stated that it was at least 110% mark up at the resort and we could get it cheaper in town at the Farmicia. This is a scam!!! Why should I have to pay for medical services if it was their resort that made me sick. I had a full check up two days before I left for my trip and have been sick after the first day that I got there. My symptoms are: fever, diaherria, nausea, vomiting, foot wound, chills, night sweats, coughing, sneezing, fatigue, dehydration,and insect bites. All at your advertised 3.5 star resort! I missed my vacation because I was so sick and I am still off from work because I am still sick.

Thirdly, services-horrible! I emailed in advance about my food allergies to you and the facility. I was assured that they could accomodate my issues. Well, this is not entirely true. From onset they did not want to give us reservations in the resteraunt stating that they were full already (a lie that they tell all non-gold wrist bracelet guest). When I asked for management, they found a spot for us everynight. This covered dinner only. So for breakfast and lunch they stated eat at Casablanca. On the first day I got there a woman got sick in Casablanca and was taken out in a wheel chair. The second day, a woman had to be carried out by her husband - she was sick too. After the first time I ate there I too became sick as did many of the people who came in with us. With my food allergies there was nothing I could eat at breakfast. At lunch I tried it and became sicker. So after the first day I had to wait all day to eat until dinner. I asked for carry out of some dishes that I didnt think would make me sicker. This too became a problem. The staff acted like it was a bother for them to make meals without dairy. I had to get many managers involved before these issues were resolved. The general working staff is very nice and willing to try to help. The front line managers have bad attitudes and try to get you to pay extra for basic services you deserve from a resort. Upper managment is helpful, but it is a chore to get to speak to them to resolve your problem. Just skip the middle man and go all the way to the top or you will get very frustrated because the front line staff try to deter you from getting the help you need and act like you dont deserve help unless you are a VIP club member. My problem with this is-IF YOU WANT TO CATER TO VIP MEMBERS-STOP SELLING TO UNSUSPECTING VACATIONERS WHO PAY FOR AND DESERVE A DECENT VACATION! They need to be a TIME SHARE ONLY! ALSo, they do have people who hound you to buy a time share, but they profile guest by bracelets and brand name clothes. They wont bother you if you look like you cant afford it. (BUYER BEWARE- They have lots of time share levels and upgrade levels, but at the end of the day if you dont get the top level-you have to eat in the same resteraunts, same service staff, go to the same beach, same facilities. You just get a golf cart and a VILLA) From check in, I heard so many guest complaining I could not believe that this place is still open. Even for the extrememly cheap price-it is not worth it! I was in Hell for 7 days and I am still dealing with the after-effects. What the other bad reviews are saying are true. If you notice they are all saying almost the same thing.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple