The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
US$185
Iberostar.com
  • Breakfast included
Sunscape Puerto Plata Dominican Republic(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$317
US$198
Bookit.com
US$319
US$278
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$305
US$322
US$214
  • Breakfast included
Blue JackTar(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$154
US$132
US$160
US$273
US$205
Travelocity
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$158
TripAdvisor
4,983 results
All reviewsvip beachjulio the rockgeorge of the jungleblue lagoonwelcome partyocean worldsushi barcasa blancasalamicasablanca buffetwater aerobicsdominican republicbeach bedsvip partyserenity beachthese guyshorseback riding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 September 2011

First I must say that I was terrified when i saw previous reviews regarding this resort but i really didnt have any issues when it came to this resort. I booked with cheap Caribbean and was able to use the VIP beach area, this area was very nice well kept and food and drinks were great. People said you had to get there early to get beds but i had no issues, it was a bit hard on the weekend but during the week i was able to get beds with shade at any time>> Had no problems with check in, stayed in the 4th building which was close to everything, stayed in a standard room, the room was fine for the time we spent in there (which was only to shower, get dressed and sleep)/ many others stated that the shower was a problem cause there was no door or curtain but i simply put a towel on the floor and i was fine. AC worked well, staff came and replaced sheets and towels everyday and my fridge was filled almost everyday. Now, regarding the sales people with the white collar shirts that try and sell you a time share, the can be a bit annoying, just to get it over with i went on the tour, i did let them know i didnt have alot of time to spare and reminded the sales person a few time just so it wont take long, it took about 45 mins, (word to the wise if you like to travel and have the $ its a good investment to buy the timeshare, i bought it but not till the end of my trip cause i wanted to speak with others that have purchased it) once i did the tour, when i was approached i told them i did the tour and they did not bother me after that. Regarding service, i had no complaints, pretty much everyone was nice but remember $1 goes a long way with the staff so bring singles and if u run out the currency will be more than happy to supply u with singles. Food... they tell u to stand in line at 1pm to get reservations which i never did because i always forgot, but i simply went to the restaurants and let them know that i will tip the staff and i was able to eat at 3 restaurants, seafood, mexican and chinese, .. seafood place called blue lagoon was the best.. (steak was awesome).. I also ate at the buffet once on Italian nite, it wasnt that great but it was edible.. I heard the other nites were good.. i ate at the buffet for breakfast everyday and just be aware they serve the same breakfast everyday, but it was fine.. People said that they got sick and i did not get sick at all, The Thursday BBQ and Sunday nite party were really good... I did go to ocean world, it was fun.. The only thing i would warn people about when going to this resort is doing excursions, do it within the hotel, they have 2 onsite and you will be better off, i went outside for one of my excursions (people located next to the fake walmart) and was a lil disappointed but i learned my lesson, >> now my biggest and really only complaint is the merchants.. the resort lets these merchant on site by the pool, they are the worst, they will harass u everytime u walk by them even after u tell them no so try to avoid them when they are there by walking in the opposite direction/ Overall i had a great trip and the resort was fine, just make sure u dont go there with extreme expectations and u will have a good time

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
11  Thank missmara77
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Ok so let me start of by saying I was prepared for the worst when it came to booking with this resort solely based on the reviews on Trip Advisor. I scored a great deal with CheapCarribean.com for $19/per night All-inclusive. With a deal like that how could one complain? (Well just a little). I was prepared to feel like a 3rd class citizen. But that was not the case for me and my two friends’ .We had a great time and met some really cool people at the resort. We stayed for 4 nights from Aug 26-Aug 30 (during the time Hurricane Irene was in the US, which thank God didn’t interfere with our trip as it has for the majority for others. We were really blessed to have a good trip.)

My friends and I only had two caste system experiences. As we were wondering around the resort we came upon the VIP Serenity beach. As we approached the steps we were told we do not have access to this area. But we did have access to the V.I.P beach which is the same set up as the Serenity Beach excluding the hammocks. Our second experience was after the nightly show at the Coliseum as we were leaving we saw some people heading to the direction of the VIP Pool Bar area so we followed suit only to be denied entry because of our wristbands. Besides the VIP Pool area looking real swanky it was DEAD almost every night…like total of 10 people or so. So we were not missing out on anything. And the truth of the matter is the majority of the people residing in the villas or suites hang out in the Tropical Beach resort area because it’s lively and a focus of where a lot of things happen.

KNOW BEFORE YOU GO: Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort & Spa is part of the Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort which includes 4 other resort properties enclosed in one area, so basically 5 living resorts in one. (The Tropical Beach, Presidential Suites, The Crown Villas, The Crown Suites, And THE RESIDENCE SUITES)This is the reason why there are different colored wristbands and different privileges that go along with them. Booking with the Tropical Beach gives you the basic all-inclusive privileges, booking thru Cheapcarribean.com (white bracelet) gives you some “VIP” perks such as access to the VIP beach and the “VIP Welcome Party and Ocean Word (only on Thursdays). This is the reason as some feel like it’s a caste system. The Tropical Beach resort is the budget resort (easy on the pockets) out of the 5 properties of the Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort. But do not be mistaken the rooms are just as contemporary as the other resorts on the property.
I manage to break down some of the color coding of the bracelet: white bracelet-cheap-Caribbean staying at the Lifestyle Tropical Beach resort, Gold shimmering bracelet: Presidential Suites, Blue bracelet: staying at the Crown Villas but is not an owner of it. Black bracelet: crème of le crème. Members that own the property they are staying at and have ALL the VIP privileges (even the cool helicopter rides to the airport). I saw a few with orange wristbands but didn’t get the opportunity to find out what it status meant.

Check-In: The lobby was very busy. Check-In was slow and disorganized around 4ish pm. The bell boy did a nice job explaining things about the resort and how certain things operate while carrying our luggage to our room.
Our Rooms: We were placed in Building 3 which was close to the lobby/bar and directly across from the Casablanca restaurant (all you can eat buffet). Our room was simple and clean and had a balcony with two chairs and a table. All the rooms have a balcony. The rooms were not outdated at all. The bathroom shower stall I was not too fond of only because there was no closing/barrier to prevent water from escaping the shower area, expect to use your white towels to soak up the water on the floor. The bathroom did have some toiletries. The AC and Fan worked very well. I loved the two big sliding closet mirrors. The TV had some US channels like ABC, CBS, and NBC which were great for tracking news reports on the Hurricane Irene. HBO in English was great also with the Spanish subtitles.

The Food/Drink: Man ..the buffet style food at the Casablanca restaurant was G-O-O-D. I honestly don’t know what is wrong with some of those reviewers’ taste buds if you couldn’t find one item of food that was good and to label the food as horrible. If you every paid $30 for buffet food at the Showboat at Atlantic City you would know that the buffet food there is horrible. So I have something to actually compare it to. Now let’s talk about the all-inclusive liquor they serve which s was downright HORRIBLE. I had had 3 drinks thru out the first day there and I got ill which gave me diarrhea. I stayed away from drinking all alcohol on the resort except from the VIP beach which serves REAL premium alcohol which I did not get sick at all. I spent most of the time eating from between Casablanca and the Blue Lagoon. The Blue Lagoon serves food when Casablanca is closed and prepping for the next meal time and it also stays open late nights when you’re hungry around 3 am in the morning like I was after partying..lol. You can also take you food to go from both restaurants just ask for a container.
We were able to book one reservation at the day of check in which was around 4 pm for the following day so we luck out because that restaurant still had availability. We ate at Trapiche Paradise (Mexican Restaurant). The food was somewhat good; certain items were a hit or miss, like their guacamole, which looked like runny green oatmeal. The margaritas were disgusting because they use the cheap nasty liquor. My soup and entrée was delicious.

The Welcome Party on Sunday’s is not to be missed. The food is in abundance and top of the line delicious. It felt like a big wedding reception party. The entertainment was on point. The saxophone player played his heart out. The fireworks …the champagne. It was wonderful.

SPA: Get the opportunity to get a tour of the spa it’s real nice. I booked an appointment for a nice package deal but cancel because I’ve spent too much money on excursions and shopping for gifts.

TIPPING: I didn’t do much tipping at the resort besides once at the VIP beach and for the bell boy who carried our luggage to our room and from the room during check-out. And I still received pleasant service. I do believe it’s about the aura you bring. You should ACKNOWLGE your servers and workers on the resort. Be friendly and say hello/hola..Buenos Dias. Stuff like that goes a long way.

Thanks to the reviews we were able to avoid the timeshare guys with their clip boards, mostly due to the fact that (1) they harass you at breakfast time at the Casablanca restaurant. Which we never had an opportunity to eat because of our early morning excursions or we missed breakfast time. They tried to talk to us but we just skip on by them and told them we don’t want any free gifts and kept it moving.

Check out my videos/pics

Room Tip: Building 3 was a nice location. Right next to the lobby bar area and across the Casablanca resturant (buffet )
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
13  Thank UrbanTravelBugg
Reviewed 7 September 2011

My family n I (19 of us) stayed at this hotel during the second week on August. We were very excited about our family reunion and our vacation together, but the very first impression that this hotel gave us was awful!!!! It took 2HOURS for check-in. I have never seen a front desk staff and supervisor so unprofessional! After finally getting our rooms (7 of them) one of the had no AC, we reported this right away but of course it took the hotel hours to figure out what they were going to do. I can go on and on and on about all the bad service given to us for 4 days and all I can say is that, the staff only caters to the VIP members. They even tell you in your face when you ask any question or have any request. They make you feel like your money is worth nothing if you are not VIP. I had a customer service concierge tell me "Oh that's what happens when you go the cheaper way" just imagine that. Very disappointed with this experience! If you wish to stay at this hotel and want to be treated like you are suppose to be treated u MUST pay the VIP accommodations if not you will feel like how we felt. Everyone that was not wearing a Gold VIP resort bracelet had the same complaint about the staff. Upper management should take into consideration of re-training everyone and not having the staff focus so much oh how much you paid for your room, because practically we eat at the same restaurant, bath in the same pool and walk on the same sand..........

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
12  Thank Elizabeth S
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Just don't go. The people are rude, the food is terrible. If you are not a member of the time share, you are a 3rd class citizen. There is a helicopter that is constantly flying over the pool. The rooms are nasty, they don't honor anything that they say, you can't make reservations at the other "restaurants".

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Mikey G
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Shame on me for believing the good reviews over the bad ones. I generally give resorts the benefit of the doubt over a few grumpy traveler reviews, big mistake.

First, it does have a great location on a small beach in Puerto Plata. So I'll give it that. If you're buying a "VIP" package through cheap carribean, you're in for a rude awakening. The VIP area that cheap carribean provides you access to is a tiny sectioned off area on the beach with some nice beds and a pseudo sushi bar (they serve California rolls and salmon rolls). This is the only area where they serve import liquor; everything else is watered down Dominican brand liquor. The good at the restaurants is below average at best. Oh and if you're expecting to lounge around with a drink and some chips and salsa, don't. They apparently don't know what chips and salsa are.

The rooms are clean and quaint, I don't really care too much as ling as the bed is clean and they're a hot shower.

Their idea of service consists of the words, "later", "no", "we're out", and "I'm sorry, that's not a part of your package".

I avoided the pool like the plague for fear of catching it.

To top if off, the first morning a guy who called himself our concierge offered to take us on a tour of the resort and make our dinner reservations for it. This consisted of passing us off to a time share sales rep who spent the next hour showing us the real VIP areas that were just gorgeous. Of course, out VIP package included the use of not a one of these beautiful facilities. When I asked him to quit hoeing us what we couldn't do and start showing us what we could, he said have a nice day and left us standing in the middle of the resort.

One positive experience was after relaying all these experiences to the hospitality manager, she gave us a room upgrade to a better location.

Everyone on staff walks around with a shirt that says,"Tell only your best friends", we thought it better to tell only our worst enemies.

• Stayed: August 2011