“worst trip we ever had” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Kissimmee, Florida
“worst trip we ever had”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

my wife and i went just recently bad expirience for started we try to make reservation for the restaurant we were told that they were book gave us a hard time, the two girls that they suppost to do that htey were unprofesional after ravin with them they gave us to the chinnese the restaurant was empty, more empty tables thand people, told them that my wife birthday was in three days to mae us a reservation for one of restaurant i was told to go and see my travel rep.which idid he did got us a reservation but they need to fire those girls and have a better system. workers at buffet they were excellent but one the one that those the eggs omlet .not freindly at all. the beach is share by hte local people to get to the beach you have to walk down hill and them climp back my wife have to kneed replascement done i have to hold her to get back up have to push from the back is to hilly. rooms forget about,fred flinston have a better television.first time and last was not the only one complaining,and do speak spanish which should have no problem.to all of you that read this i warm you,go on your on risk. couples from kissimmee,florida

Room Tip: theres nothing helpfull that to say about the rooms,they are old
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ISRAEL D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,010)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Long Island, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

Stayed the Columbus day weekend. I booked it through Cheapcaribbean.com and paid a very economical rate. When you use cheapcaribbean you get a white bracelet which alows you access to the VIP beach. The beach and the amenities in the beach are great! However, I saw a roach in the blue lagoon restaurant. In addition, I stayed 5 nights and wasn't not able to book a specialty restaurant because of the politics involved around the actual VIP customers and the collabration of the Presidential customers. Furthermore, the water went out with no notice, the lights went out a few times which can be expcted when you travel out to another country. I would have appreciated a courtesy call as I was washing my hair when the water went out. The food in the buffet was just ok, but the celebration on Sunday was extrodinary and offered very good quality food including lobster... The most annoying thing was the workers trying their hardest to lie and scandal you into timeshare... With all this being said, I have to say that I did enjoy myself and had a relaxing extended weekend for a great price!! I do recommend this hotel..

3 Thank cumaylin
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2011

ok, i was very skeptical when i first heard about lifestyles. i got the deal through cheapcaribbean.com. we paid 19 pd pp. and for the money its a "cant miss". yes, its a time share promotion but that takes only a few hours and you get it out of the way. hey, if you want to buy the time share i think its a good deal. lifestyles is an even better deal for those of you who are in the airline industry and can fly for free. the vip member ship that you are automatically included into (if you go through cheapcaribbean.com) is great. the vip beach for prospective buyers is the place to be everyday, if you do not do the daily excursions. the paradise island trip is a bit pricey i thought but so much fun.
vip beach has canopied beds, both single, double and double decker. the service is good considering 100 people are constantly drinking for free. they work non stop and have a generally positive attitude. the workers, not the drinkers.
the food is good, but i have to say that my gf and i had the runs whenever we had fruit. the specialized restaurants are good, indochine has a good tom yom that i think is great. and bellini's has a nice seafood fettucini alfreado.
the dinner reservations are made the previous day between 1-3 pm. but when you do the timeshare tour you need to make sure you get the reservations with the timeshare tour. they make them for you. no res, no tour. no tiki, no shirti.
like i said, you can't beat the price for the amount of money you are paying.
the wine sucks, and the liquor outside of vip beach is bottom shelf is bad. but the room are cleaned everyday and you get beer, soda, and water in your fridge in your room everyday.
the resort shows are highschoolish but the productions at ocean world and the sunday party, a must see, are professionally done.
check the place out and get the deal through cheapcaribbean.com.
we had a really good time and we made good friends.
as for the negative reviews on here, well, you paid toooo much.

Room Tip: you have to be a member to get a better room but you might do better if you insist. there are no rea...
4 Thank Leonardo U
Santa Barbara de Samana, Dominican Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

We got a great deal from a discount vendor cheap Caribbean. Paid like $15 per person per day for 3 days. The food was plentiful but not great. The rooms were big and clean and fairly comfy. The cable was junk but that's why you have the beach and the large pools. The beach was very nice. This hotel is close to many exciting attractions including a water park where you can swim with dolphins. The staff were super friendly but they have a lot to do when they are working so you might wait for a while if you ask a waiter to get something for you when you eat at the main buffet restaurant. If you get up early and get a VIP bed it is well worth it.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2011

I read some of the reviews before and after booking and a part of me was scared that we would get bombarded by sales people the whole trip and eating bad food with ants all around us..... not the case at all!
tips:
sales people?
go to that first meeting and get the info, its not that bad and you get a bag with mamajuana, rum and 2 t shirts, actually our guy was so cool he took us to check out serenity beach and we sat drinking cocktails and getting 2 free cigars in at the members only area
ants?
ask for the 2nd or 3rd floor, we were on the 3rd floor of the 5th building and it was quiet with no bugs. and the AC was kicking 60 degrees every night, so much so that we were not hot at all....
food?
buffet breakfast and lunch are really bountiful with many different choices, my husband is super picky and he had no problems eating skirt steak, roasted chicken with garlic sauce for lunch, do the omelet station from breakfast ( you put anything and everything in a dish and he omlette's it up for you) and the fresh juice (you tell them what you want and they peel it and blend it right in front of you)
Mexican: decent, not bad best choice fajitas, a friend ordered the filet and loved it
Chinese: Tom Yum soup was divine
Italian: didnt hear good things so never went
The Sunday show was something unexpected, we had passed by the area a few hours before on our way to serenity beach and there was nothing there but empty chairs and an empty stage but hours later hundreds of chairs and tables were covered in white table cloths, chairs with gold ribbons and the show was full of great music, fire works, really good food (try the homeade ravioli) and people all around dancing (they even gave us a free cd of pictures taken that night when you go into the gala
cons:
people are freaks in the morning to get the "best cabana" on the beach. My husband went down at 9:30am and was able to grab the last one, the next morning I grabbed one of the swinging beds up front around 8am, the next day we just chilled by the pool- everyone was so preoccupoed with getting the cabanas that we had a whole huge pool to ourselves where we could chill in and out of the sun (buy a raft form the gift shop near the buffet area)
Be prepared to say and hear hola every time you pass someone that works at the resort ;)
To everyone that works at lifestyles, thank you, you truly made our stay so enjoyable. Special thanks to the woman at the guest service desk and behind the lobby bar and Rolando, your a gem

Room Tip: choose building 5 or 6 as they are the newer ones and closer to the VIP beach
4 Thank shesha76
Catawba, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

I been here 2 times had a great time,food And drinks great. Happy Happy good drink. We own a time here it is has been a good investment. great deal on stay.Very nice people that work and help make your stay fun.Love this place.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

My girlfriend and I booked through Cheapcarribean.com for 19 dollars /night and stayed from Monday to Saturday. Initially, I was a little apprehensive about this trip since we were going during the low season and especially after reading some pretty scary reviews.I will provide a general rundown of my experience including the airport transfers, taxicab and excursion rates since I found that lacking in this thread.

After we landed and walked outside of the airport, we were be surrounded by cab drivers. Going to Lifestyle Tropical (Cofresi).the standard rate is $45 as displayed on the official “Price list” board.
Despite my girlfriend’s insistence (95 degree weather while lugging 2 suitcases) on paying the asking rate, I said “that is too much” as we proceeded to walked right past the crowd of cab drivers and headed towards the parking lot. (note that I had no idea on where I was going but I’ve read somewhere on this thread to do exactly that) Four cab drivers pursued out of the bunch and I negotiated the rate to $35. (thank you tripadvisor)

When you arrive at the resort after checking in you be approached by a guy in a white shirt and a clipboard, he claims to be “our concierge”. He had gotten me a dinner reservation and asked us to meet him in the morning for the tour. (I’ve also read on this thread to haggle with “the concierge” for more dinner reservations in exchange for a 30 minute tour) The tour is basically a timeshare pitch, and I learned that they receive money for each person they bring on the tour which would explain their persistence. If you flatly turn them down they will not bother you again.
Room: We stayed at Building 5 second floor which decent clean room and pretty quiet except the for the occasional helicopter in the morning.
Be sure to brush your teeth with bottled water since the tap water is obviously undrinkable. We brought our own shampoo, the ones provided do not seem to lather well. I’ve read that people complain about the lack of hot water, they were probably mistaken the cold water for the hot water. Apparently,it’s setup on the opposite side.
Food: We ate mainly at Casablanca Buffet which was great for us. It changes themes daily to which they offer a different variety of food each night. I recall several themes: Mexican, Asian, Seafood and Dominican night (my favorite). On Thursday the buffet down is moved down to the pool area with live music. The ambiance reminded me of a poolside candlelit wedding reception and my girlfriend loved it. Thanks to our “concierge”, we also had dinner at the Mexican restaurant which was mediocre compared to Casablanca.

Entertainment: The shows in the resort are terrible in my opinion, but Thursday’s show “Bravissimo” at Oceanworld is a must-see. The regular admission would cost 999 pesos ($27) if we didn't stay at Lifestyle. There are shuttles that are provided by the front desk. I recommend to get there early, around 8pm to miss the rush. There was already a band playing live music when we arrived and whoever the singer was at the preshow, she's an amaizing performer. There is also a casino and a nightclub there to explore. The Open bar is only until 11, so take advantage of it.Drinks are not usually included at Oceanworld we didn't know about the time limit.

VIP Beach: Best place on the resort, includes free wifi and sushi bar prepared in a cool room. Wake up early to claim a beachfront cabana, it’s worth it. Just drop off a shirt or a book down at 8 am and go back to sleep. The closer you are to the entrance, the better reception. This is the only place people that booked with cheapcarribean can have top shelf liquor. We also brought our own large size shaker cups which were perfect for all kinds of drinks.
We headed down to the beach for souvenirs at a fraction of the cost of the resort. I bought a gift for half off the asking price so negotiating is a must.

Metamorphosis Spa: The sales rep (Armando) frequents by the pool and the VIP beach which sells packages for 30% less than the menu price. I think it was 85-90 dollars on the menu. He offered it at $68pp and we got it down to $61pp for the (anti-stress) couples massage at the beachfront cabana.

Lifestyles Tropical is a great place to be if you keep in mind that you aren’t staying at a 5 star resort. Although it tries really hard to become one.
Unlimited food and drinks and fun in the sun, at $19 pp. I can’t understand what other people are complaining about. I had a fantasitc fun filled vacation without breaking the bank. Especially after negotiating the the taxi rates, booking excustions outside of the resort.
I believe we received mutually reasonable rates. I didn't low-ball nor felt ripped off at the same time.So everyone was happy.

I hope this provides some insight on your future trip, enjoy!

Additional recommendations:
Do not call for any Taxicabs and book excursions in the resort. It seems that the resorts charge a nominal fee and/or an escalated rate for the same exact services. Go outside of the main (second) security gate and directly to the left (the presidential suites sign will be on your right) and you will see the tour guides selling the exact same packages for (negotiable) better rates and also find the same exact taxi cabs Lifestyle uses. Take their card with the cab company’s number and you can call yourself.

Excursions:
Rancho Lorilar: prebooked through Joyce at via email (#1 Tripadvisor things-to-do) for $70pp for a full day, you would have to wait outside of the security gate but it's worth it. Great experience, which also includes a delicious organic homemade lunch! I recommend you do this on your last day because we were sore the next day. It would costs the same for a half day trip if it were booked at the resort.
27 waterfalls: (#2 Tripadvisor things-to-do) Must-do if you are adventurous. We went outside by ourselves past the security gate and got a cab outside for negotiated rate of $50 round trip (initial price started off at $80). The cab driver waited for us the entire time (3-4 hours) and we paid at the end.

We also managed to negotiate my return trip to the airport for $35 with the same driver. He gave me his card and I called the night to prior to checking out and informed him of the time. the following morning when we checked-out he was already waiting for us outside of the check-in area with the engine running with AC on.

Tipping:
Bring a lot of singles for to tip the staff. The resort probably pays them minimum wage (if there is such thing) and they work very hard for tips. I assure you and it will go a long way and will not go unnoticed. I have read on this thread that many people that had complaints about the bad service..
I can be almost certain they didn't tip at all.

Housekeeping: 2 dollars per day: mini fridge, towels and toiletries were always restocked.
Bartender/Servers: Tipped a dollar per drink: Servers always came back to make sure we were okay. The pours for the drinks were decent and not too light.
Taxi: 3 dollars The cabbies made additional stops to the store and at the pharmacy no with questions asked.

Side note:
My girlfriend gave her lightly used Nike's to the housekeeper prior to leaving and her reaction was like a kid opening presents on Christmas morning.

Room Tip: Building 5, 2 second floor is quiet. be sure to tip your housekeeping and you will not have a proble...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple