“Fantastic Vacation”

Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania
“Fantastic Vacation”
Reviewed 29 October 2011

This was one of the most memorable and awesome vacations that we have ever taken.. DO NOT believe all the negative reviews. The people that have written the negative reviews are either to snobby and spoiled to enjoy such a beautiful resort.
After reading all the negative reviews, I was very nervous traveling to Lifestyles Resort but we went with an open mind. We traveled with another couple and from the moment we stepped off of the plane we were treated with such genuine hospitality, something that you do not get here in the USA.
Check in was a breeze. We were in building 5 on the 3rd floor and had no problems at all. The room was clean, well stocked with water, soda and beer in the frig daily, stocked with towels and if you needed extra, all you had to do was ask. The bed was extremely comfortable, I think we slept better here than at home. There is no need to tip but tipping will go a long way and is very much appreciated.
We were given a reservation at check-in for the Mexican Restaurant which was very good. All of our other meals were eaten at the buffet. The assortment of foods was great, if you can't find something to eat than you must really be a picky eater. The only food that I would suggest you not eat would be the salad. Other than that, you should be fine. I have stomach problems and went with plenty of immodium thinking that I would be taking it everyday and I didn't have to take it at all..
The pools and beach were awesome. Yes, if you want a cabana in front of the beach, you will have to get in line by 7:15-7:30 am but it is well worth it.. You will meet some wonderful people from all over the world while waiting and the beds are well worth it because you will spend the entire day there.
The Welcome Party was great and they also had an American BBQ Party with all the fixings and even included several American Flags. "nice touch"
Parasailing was awesome and Paradise Island is a must... But make sure you bring a towel with you, they don't provide towels on the Island.
You will find that the Dominican people are very genuine and friendly.
The second day after breakfast we were greeted by the 'clipboards', but if you don't want to go, it is no problem. We went on the tour (it is called a Vacation Club, not a timeshare) and it was actually very nice. You got to ride around in a golf cart and see the suites, villas and private beach which was beautiful and in the end, we received 2 t-shirts, a bottle of Rum and a bottle of Mama Juana. It was painless and enjoying..
All in all, this was by far the best vacation that we have ever taken. And we definately knew when we were back in the good ole' USA, welcome back to snobby and rude people.
Can't wait to go back to Lifestyles Resort, it will be our home away from home..

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank MaryLee121

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,019)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Sioux City, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 29 October 2011

We booked on CheapCaribbean this summer for our stay last week (Oct) for the $19/night per person deal, which includes the VIP.
WOW, WERE WE FREAKING HAPPYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This place was just INCREDIBLE. Let me clarify, that this was my first all inclusive resort experience, aside from staying at an optional all inclusive resort in Egypt once, but not buying the AI package, and just paying the cheap room rate. We were all completely blown away. There were 4 of us. 1 married couple, and 2 single guys, in 2 rooms.
Possibilities are endless as there's a bar on the beach, then a nicer bar on the VIP beach, a swim-up pool bar open LATE, and a bar in the reception!!! I don't drink alcohol, but believe me, I was pounding down 12-25 non-alcoholic cocktails and pina coladas a day. If I was on a cruise or anywhere else, the bar bill would have been $100 a day!!!!

Not to mention the buffet, and restaurant options!
LOVED the beach and the pool. Gorgeous layout.

The rooms are pretty standard. This is a 3* resort and ***YOU ARE IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC***, so you are not going to have huge flat pannel tv's, and marble countertops in your bathroom, but we thoroughly enjoyed our room, bathroom, tv, and porch. Very relaxing, and the staff would stock our fridge every morning with Water, Pepsi, Sprite, and beer if you wanted it. Of course - all free.

The food isn't INSANE, but being free, I was full every day and very satisfied!! Some of the options if you were a member (property owner) looked nicer, but I was happy the whole week.

As for the timeshare guys with the clip boards. They tried to use fancy wording about a "welcome package" for our 2nd day there after we checked in, and I just told them a stern "We're not interested in a timeshare, sorry", and was never bugged again for the remaining 6 days. EASY!

When they run a cheap deal for 2012, I will for sure be coming back, and I have told all my friends!! What a blast. We booked several excursions and took a few trips into town on our own as well.

TIP - DON'T PAY $100+ FOR A MASSAGE IN THE RESORT SPA, JUST PAY $26 FOR A 1 HOUR MASSAGE BY THE LOCAL GAL W/THE BED ON THE BEACH IN FRONT OF THE RESORT!!! Nothing better than getting a massage while listening to the waves crash.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank David M
Florida
Reviewed 28 October 2011

We got a great deal at this hotel through Cheap Caribbean, and I have to say, for the price paid you can't really complain, but I still want to mention some things here that need attention.
The property itself is beautiful and kept clean, great pools, common areas and beach area (especially VIP beach with comfy & very private beach beds).
The line at check in was very long and moved slow. It is an open air check in area, so it is pretty hot, and there are no fans when you are waiting, except for if you are already directly at the desk.
The rooms are nothing special but also kept clean, mattress is not very good, but we had slept in worse. The picture on the TV wasn't always too good, but we didn't really watch TV anyhow, except before going to bed.
Room service was ok most of the days, one day though, the room hasn't been made up until about 5pm and then they did not leave us fresh towels in the room. We had to wait until later to get towels because, supposedly they were waiting for the towels to come back from the laundry. That was kind of inconvenient, especially if you wanna shower after a day in the sand and there are no towels to dry yourself.
The food was edible, but far from good. The best was probably breakfast or the snacks at the VIP beach. This includes the buffet as well as the a la carte restaurants. The italian restaurant had overcooked pasta, with not very tasty sauces. The Seafood restaurant was the better one, and my mum and my husband acutally quite enjoyed their meal. Mine was ok too. We did not try any of the other a la carte restaurants, one because we could not get a reservation and two because we acutally wanted to eat locally to experience the real Dominican Republic. The day of our check out, I also saw a bunch of sick people waiting for medical attention, that was the day after the welcome dinner buffet - they said they thought it was the food. I can't tell if that was the problem, we did not eat at the Buffet that night.
Staff in all of the restaurants was not very friendly, and especially at the buffet you had to wait a while for your drinks.
They had some good shows for entertainment in the evening, which we enjoyed watching.
One more thing. At check in we were assigned a "Concierge". This supposed concierge was to help us throughout our stay. The next morning he catched us at breakfast and told us he had a welcome gift for us, that we should come with him. Well, they did give us a gift, but they also wanted us to listen to one of their sales people for the membership. I really did not appreciate them telling us stories so we come and get stuck at one of their presentations.
All in all we had a good time, and as mentioned at the beginning, for the price paid we really can't complain.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Martinsburg, West Virginia

WOW!!!
Where should I begin..
After reading some of the other negative reviews, myself and my fiance decided that we would travel with an open mind. We were very surprised in a positive way. All that we read was individuals blasting the resort, staff, weather and food. We can only speak for our trip which took place Oct. 2011. Once we arrived at the resort, we were made to feel welcomed and appreciated. We requested building 5/6 to be away from the pools and bars and it was granted. We were able to make dinner reservations with a few dollars as tip to accomodate our desired times and days. We were pleased with the welcoming staff and great food and drinks. We were actually interested in the "owners" tour of the resort property for sale for membership. After a little wrangling, we went back the next day and purchased into the resort. We traded another timeshare and they gave us more than we paid for it. Also, we were able to haggle on th requested price and we're both very satisfied. The VIP membership which we bought from Cheap Carribean for $19 a day was fantastic. For $265, we received round trip transportation from the airport and 5 nights, We received all the food and drinks in which you could want. Again, the staff are very friendly and helpful and eager to help. You do not have to tip, but just one or two dollars go long beyond the day you give them. The DR economy is very depressed, so when asked what will $2 buy there, I was told that it would purchase rice for a family of six for one week. So, you can tip accordingly-but not required. In closing, I have been very blessed to travel a bit in my life, but this by far was the best vacation ever. We do plan to travel down there a couple times a year in the future. Travel with the anticipation of receiving a great time, great food all for a great price. Bravo Cheap Carribean!!!

Room Tip: If you like peace and quiet and would like to have a peaceful nights rest, request buildings 5 or 6.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank thebly35
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2011

Before leaving for Dominican Republic, we were really apprehensive as it was the cheapest resort that we could have booked with the travel agent. We got a really good deal price-wise, which wasn't to be grumbled at. Whilst on our connection bus after getting off the plane, we dropped a lot of people off at really shabby looking hotels and were getting more worried by the minute. We were thinking "if ours was so cheap it has to be worse than this right?". How wrong we were!! The hotel was by far the best one we'd pulled up to. Check in was really smooth and hassle free, and the service. We were really impressed with the room too, possibly one of the best hotel rooms I've stayed in, everything worked and was spotlessly clean and had a really nice finish. The restaurants, pool, staff and bar are all top notch. Although I will say that you have to get to reception early to book into one of the a la carte restaurants as they get full up fast, but well worth it as the food is a lot better than the standard buffet. The only real downside was the really apparent preferential treatment of VIP guests over standard guests. This means they get bookings over other guests at the restaurants and other facilities no matter if you get there first or not. We had to ask our Rep to get us a table at the fish restaurant for example because we were turned down every time. But I guess that's why you pay extra for VIP. One other bother was the guys with clipboards trying to sell timeshare at the VIP apartments. Just tell them you're not interested and they seem to leave you alone though. In all this is was a great holiday, which was made great by the hotel to be honest! Ideal if you go as a couple (as we did) or with friends, I'd never take a family there though... If I was going back to Dominican I would definitely go back here, rather than risk somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AlexJames_11
Reviewed 23 October 2011

This was by far the best vacation of my life! I have to say that the staff MADE our week! Sexy Face, Carmello, Bon Jovi, and Scooby are the best! We met nothing but nice people the entire trip! I plan on going back next year and will make this an annual trip! Yes, they will ask you to purchase a very reasonable membership but when we started the tour we just told them that we weren't prepared to put down that kind of money and we never heard another thing about - and we were still treated with the same respect as we were before. Their slogan is "tell it only to your best friends" I say I'm telling EVERYONE because everyone should go and experience this! So much fun! Can NOT wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2011
5 Thank AnnaMckeon
Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Days before we left for lifestyles resort and spa me and my girlfriend read some mixed reviews and were a little apprehensive about our upcoming trip.
There are many truths to both the good and bad reviews.
The guys with the "white clipboards" that reviewers mentioned are real and they are ruthless! They need to sell a certain amount of packages I understand it's their job, however they will relentlessly find ways to get to talk to you, even trickery. One trick was as we walked by one of them said hey sir we need to meet to confirm your departure. So we get nervous about not meeting we don't wanna miss our shuttle or plane. Upon meeting the guy doesn't even know our names I was a little bothered. I'm sure they have to target certain people more than others too, it's all about marketing i suppose we were a target.
In any event The resort is gorgeous! The VIP beach was fantastic but you must must arrive there early before the doors open at 8 to claim a good beach bed. Yes waiting in line on vacation like a black friday Christmas shopper seems contradictory, but believe me it's worth it, especially if you're lucky enough to run in like many of the other crazy guests and snatch up a nice canopy bed with private curtains.
Walking and biking around the large multi-sectioned resort was one of our favorite memories, the resort and the time-share homes surrounding are absolutely wonderful to see.
Now to the part I hope you read and beware the food, it was good a decent selection, but I got extremely sick the last day of our trip due to food poisoning. I was completely conscientious about what I ate, trying nothing uncooked or new, how my personal sanitation was, and how much bottled water I drank to fight dehydration. Many reviewers have posted about getting sick and I thought it was what they had eaten or their water levels due to sun exposure. Not true. The resort clearly is mishandling food and causing people to get sick. Be careful of what you eat I thought I was but for 2 days of pain I was clearly mistaken.
The staff at the resort, with the exception of the salesman are wonderful they try as hard as they can to please their guests and they do it for very little money please tip these hard working happy people!
A couple of notes we like many of the other guests in our uniform rooms had no door to the bathroom this was doubly awkward and embarrassing coupled with the fact that while sitting on the bed you can gaze into the eyes of your partner on the toilet through the mirror on the wall outside the toilet. And make sure you ask for water bottles we never received them in our fridge like many others had mentioned but was very important for keeping hydrated and for toothbrushing.

• Stayed October 2011