My husband and I just returned from our first trip to DR and we had a great experience at the Lifestyle Tropical. We took advantage of the 11 a night pp rate they had advertised last year. We did our homework and read that it was a timeshare so we were prepared to dismiss the salespeople with their "welcome package." And we had no expectations because the rate was so low. We were pleasantly surprised with a lot of things.
ROOM: The room was a good size with a queen bed and balcony. The bathroom had a very small shower and no curtain. If this is important to you then make sure you upgrade to something with a bigger shower. The furniture and TV were dated but this was not important to us as we were ever hardly in the room. However we heard from other couples that had flat screen TV's and sofas so there is a hierarchy.
FOOD: This was our first all-inclusive and the food was pretty good most of the time. There was a lot of variety and everything was not excellent but we always found something we enjoyed whether it be at Casablanca (the main buffet) or Club Lagoon (Great typical Spanish lunch of rice and some meat stew!) Or some snack from the VIP beach which we had access to by booking through Cheap Caribbean. I have read other reviews regarding the themed restaurants and here's my 2 cents: You go all the way to the Caribbean and expect to get great Chinese/Italian/Mexican at a resort, really? We did get reservations by simply going to the desk the day of or before to the Mexican (I heard it was good) and the filet mignon was very good but the only reason I would have been upset was if their typical DR meals of rice, beans and meat stews were not up to par - and this was never the case.
ENTERTAINMENT/ACTIVITIES - Every night they do strive to have something for entertainment and we partook of the Coliseum shows which consists of dancing, skits and audience participation game shows. These were good ice breakers and were easy enough to skip if not interested. As far as daytime activities, thanks to Juan at the resort we booked an awesome snorkeling trip at Sousa Bay for a group of 13 strangers we met and had the best time! We also tipped him and got a great price for parasailing which we had never done and was also great. Juan is the definitely the go to guy - he helped us find alternative sources for massage and also handles the scuba for those interested. The price is all in haggling and every once in a while tipping. Juan was awesome, personable and also guided us to Pedro who makes the BEST drinks on Harmony Beach. The spa has a gym that is sparse but can be used but their services in my opinion were highly overpriced. Sunday's party was awesome with a huge buffett, tables set up, dancers, performers, live band, DJ and fireworks. Definitely a bonus for us.
RESORT - Beautiful! Grounds well kept, manicured and plenty of pools, towels, drinks in the room replenished every day (2 H2O, 2 beers, 2 sodas) Plenty of bottled water everywhere (and this a credit to them because many top notch places do not do this) Staff was personable, well dressed and hardworking. VIP beds - plenty available if you don't mind being in the sun and if they were all full you could get lawn chairs to the beach or by the pool. Table tennis, bikes, and a separate kids world area.
OVERALL - Our experience was great in that we met other couples and really had a lot of fun hanging out, dancing, and hanging out by the beach. I am from PR so I can tell you that the beach was not the absolute best, the food was not the absolute best and the room was not perfect (Water would sit in the shower area) but again we had zero expectations, an open mind, and no set agenda. We just wanted to relax, enjoy the caribbean and have a good time. Taking that into account we had an awesome time thanks to a very friendly and helpful staff, great couples we met along the way and some tips from the locals.
We will definitely come back again for a no-brainer easy going vacation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within the sprawling Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, The Tropical offers a classic hotel vacation experience set within quaint, two- and threestory, Mediterranean-style buildings. The mood is laid-back and distinctively Caribbean. Guest enjoy all resort facilities and amenities (excluding the V.I.P areas) including swimming pools, a choice of excellent restaurants, exercise rooms, tennis courts, windsurfing and so much more. The Lifestyle Tropical is Ideal for couples seeking a private island hide-away with all the advantages of a world-class resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, LoveHolidays, Cancelon, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort And Spa
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Hotel Puerto Plata
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort Spa
- Hacienda Tropical
- Hotel Lifestyle Tropical Beach
- The Tropical At Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata