“What a Great Time!”

Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Montgomery, Illinois
“What a Great Time!”
Reviewed 22 December 2012

I went to Lifestyles for a girls weekend all the way from Chicago just returned home last week. This place is huge! Even though we were VIP for 8 days there was allot of the resort we were unsure if we could use or not. We stayed on the Tropical side but visited Confessi quite allot for dinners. Many think that Pearl buffet is much better than Cassablanca. I liked them both. All of the resteraunts were pretty descent and we even got into the Brazillion one which was amazing. Mind you it is off season and there were only two of us which is probably why we got in! We went to almost all of the shows in the Colosseum and after meeting others were told these shows were way better than the other theatre. The entertainment staff like most places are pool side by day and in the shows and the couple night clubs for a bit every night. This makes everything much more fun if you haven't met other people to hang out with yet. Ice was allot cozier than Vibe but Vibe was in the VIP near Tropical so it was much easier for us to go there and walk back to our room every night. We stayed on Tropical building 4 but understand that building 5 is much nicer and newly renovated. All of the staff in the Dominican were very nice and helpful.

The entertainment crew are so much fun. Kudos to my favorites by poolside, Lenny Craviz and George of the Jungle! These two guys are such cuties and they just make you join the party and have a great time if your ready to or not! Everytime they see you they have a smile on there face, something nice to say to you and find something fun for you to do. Carmelo and Choco Choco are very fun too. Lenny and Carmelo were tons of fun at night in the Vibe night club too. We were a little sad when they left for the night but we had so much fun with them we kept dancing until almost close even though we were the only people in there besides the DJ and Bartenders. We didn't mind, again it was off season. They make you feel really comfortable about being there.

If you go VIP style you definately want to hang out on the VIP beach. We were there at least 4 days of our trip and everyday said this is the life we need nothing more. Juan C Batista is amazing. He is always checking in on you and bringing your next drink before you even ask and making sure you eat!! Juan always knew if we wanted a drink or water or whatever. Another adorable man. Juan is only allowed to work his assigned section of VIP beach which we didn't know at first. When we figured it out we saw two spots open in his and immediately moved. Not that the others aren't attentive too but Juan was by far the best one out there!! Juan made your day out there on the beach, if he saw you sleeping he knew to leave us alone and was super attentive the moment you woke again. The beds on VIP are amazing and the food was awesome too. The Beach days were the most relaxing of my vacation of course. What more could you ask for than sitting in bed being served drinks and food all day under the sun! We even sat out there in the rain!

The only issues I had were having enough towels and wash clothes everyday. But we eventually got them but we had to ask for them. The view was pretty descent from our balcony we could see part of building 4 and 5, the garden, the adult pool and the beach! We booked our trip with Cheap Carribean. They were all very nice and they told you on the way to the hotel and when booking excursions not to drink too many coconut drinks or the water. Make sure you ask your agent questions when booking so you know everything up front of what you can and can't do. We ran into quite a few people that weren't informed of anything. The welcome party the first night was amazing, Dinner and drinks by candle light on the beach and then an amazing show! Don't miss it on Sunday! The only disturbing thing was when your eating on your first morning try to avoide the guys in the white polos. They are there to have you become hotel members. We spen our whole first day being shown around the hotel to really nice rooms, pools, resteraunts, bars, beaches etc all to find out we can't enjoy those amenities unless we join. If you don't mind it is a good way to see the grounds and the differences from side to side of the hotel and differences in room options because this place is huge but if your not going to buy you want to just tell them right off to not waste either of your time. If you have the money it does sound like a descent deal depending on what you choose as it's not just for traveling there but everywhere. We met a couple that did join and they kept talking them down till they got the deal they wanted.

If you book excursions I can tell you that the Outback Safari is an amazing way to get to know the community and different ways that people are living. This excursion is a reality check and really makes you appreciate life a whole lot more. The excursion also gives back to the community and helps the schools. The other one we did was Dune Buggies. That was allot of fun too we were covered from head to toe in mud but it was worth the experiece..lol. Bravisimo is pretty nice at Ocean World also. We went because it was included in our Cheap Caribean package. It was a great Spanish version of a Vegas show! I heard allot of good reviews on the city tour/cable car ride but didn't get to do that. If I go bakc it's on my list!

Any ways make sure if you go that you check out all the fun and different lessons with the boys Lenny Craviz, George of the Jungle, Carmelo and Choco Choco. These guys are sweeties and will definately make your stay awesome!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Heidi H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,019)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
maine
Reviewed 22 December 2012

First of all I dont know how there are any negitive comments about this place, it is truely ridiculous to leave anything negative about this place in my opinion, and the opnion of 3 other people that went with me, I guess you just cant please some people. The resort was very nice and looked just like the pictures online. Food was great at the restaurants and the buffets were good as well. Dont expect carribean water here though, this is northern dominican and you are still in Atlantic waters, but the water is warm and we had fun at the beach. All the staff was great and did a great job making this vacation awesome."CHOCO CHOCO" was a lot of fun, he did a GREAT job getting everyone to have a great time. We played lots of pool vollyball, basketball and got to know him a little bit, this is a guy that truley loves his job and the resort is lucky to have a worker like him!!! Also David hernandez, Danny santaria, and Juan were also great staff workers that went above and beyond to make everyone happy. We loved our time here so much that we have already booked to go back in May 2013, cant wait!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Zig P
Guatemala City, Guatemala
Reviewed 21 December 2012

I waited a month to write this review because I was hoping my feelings about my wedding would have changed by now, but every time I think about the experience, it makes me so sad. My now-husband and I had been talking about having our wedding at Lifestyles resort for the past two years since that was where we met. We figured that it was such a beautiful hotel and threw such lovely parties that a wedding there had to be amazing.

We had been in contact with the wedding planner from the resort for about 5 months prior to the wedding. Our problems pretty much started from the beginning. We had various questions about prices, food, and entertainment, and each question took an average of 2 weeks for a response. Furthermore, usually the responses simply stated “I will find out and let you know.” So, my mother-in-law spent 3 weeks at the resort about a month before the wedding in an attempt to organize everything and setup a budget due to the fact that we weren't getting much response via email. However, in those 3 weeks she was still unable to acquire a budget or speak to someone about the changes we wanted to make to the menu. We had wanted a simpler, but more elegant dinner. And I had asked for crepes to be added (with the understanding that it would be extra).

We kept asking for a budget after my mother-in-law returned and even arrived 5 days before the wedding to try to get everything organized, but did not receive a budget until the night before the wedding. I didn’t even have a chance to see the budget because I was preparing for the wedding, and my mom signed off on the budget NOT realizing that they were charging us an extra $30 a person for a cocktail that I never agreed to (with appetizers I never agreed to as well) on top of the $70 a person for horrific buffet food that was not anything like what I had been asking for for months. Additionally, they never brought the crepes that I had been asking for since the beginning. In the U.S. you could get a very nice meal for $100 a person.

Additionally, the tents, chairs, and decorations all arrived late, so we had to postpone the start time of the ceremony which left only about 30 minutes of light left after the ceremony for pictures (when I had planned for over an hour of picture time.)

Then, when it came time to cut the cake (which was not the correct flavor I had requested), there were no plates. So we started serving people in their hands! We asked where the coffee and pastries were that were supposed to be included in our meal and the servers stated that no one brought them so it was too late to ask for them.

Additionally, we paid extra money to keep the 5 bartenders there after the 3 hours that were included in the dinner. The bartenders refused to leave the bar area to serve people, did not offer to help pickup the dirty plates and cups (so eventually some glasses were broken and cut the feet of some attendees), and they got drunk, and stole our $45 bottles of Ron Zacapa that we had brought from Guatemala.

Then the next day they told us we had to return to the office to pay $400 more for the tents, because they had forgot to include them in the budget the day before. We were furious about the events of the wedding, and the unexpected extra $30 a person charge, so they agreed to cover the $400 tent charge at least.

For such a beautiful hotel, they should really re-think the service they provide for weddings. It was overall a really horrible experience, and I advice you to look elsewhere for a destination wedding!

Room Tip: Book through an owner to receive the gold bracelet. It's definitely worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank jgarnant
Reviewed 21 December 2012

I want to say the service was unbelieveable the.staff is amazing especially Jonny bravo,lenny cravitz,chocho lol these r nick names of the employess they were wonderful were definately going back. The room could be better and some of the food could have been better but i never let that bother me its was a beautiful place and it was a amazing experience and the staff was so great

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank franziska0361
Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 December 2012

Hello. I have been meaning to get to this review for a while, and now finally have the time to provide a thorough description of my trip at The Lifestyle Tropical Resort. We stayed on the Tropical side, not Confresi.

ABOUT ME: My name is Ashley. I’m a 28 year old woman from PA who arranged this May 26 2012 trip through Cheap Caribbean for my slightly younger sister, our parents (51 and 60) and another couple. We all flew in from different states to meet up at this resort for a 1 week trip. We booked it based on the amazing 2012 promotional price ($12pppn), the photos of the grounds, and the positive reviews from about 70% of those who have been there. I will admit, the negative reviews did scare me, but I know that some people have experiences that they take no responsibility for and unjustly assign blame (such as those who had delayed flights, lost luggage, or had an air conditioner break). These things happen, especially in a 3rd world country, and you should consider them stories to tell, not tragedies which ruin your whole vacation. I can say that after my week here, I would love to go back, and am currently planning to do so this year. All right, let's go over everything...

FOOD: During my stay here, the resort was pretty busy, and every restaurant was open. I was worried about all 6 of us being able to eat at the same places, so I wrote to the hotel ahead of time to request group reservations. They responded that they would try to accommodate us as much as they could, which was nice. While I did not get my requested restaurant choices, we did all get to eat together the majority of the trip. Maria was incredibly helpful, and she would constantly run us reservation slips a couple hours before dinner, based on what was still available. We actually ate dinner 2x a couple nights. lol The buffet at the Pearl IS open air, so it does have its issues with flies and the occasional bird, but so what? The staff tried their best to keep all the pests away, constantly chasing birds away with brooms. :) It was quite entertaining to watch. So while there are animals around (this is the Dominican), they really don’t get too close to the food. The Pearl buffet was more upscale, but it was kind of warm inside the restaurant, and it made me with for the light breeze of Casablanca. But the food was fresher, with better options.
While I personally did not get to try the seafood restaurant, 2 other members in my party did. One of their meals was somewhat bland, but the other they raved about for days. I wish I could remember what it was. I think it was a seafood pasta, so if you see it on the menu, grab it. The Mexican restaurant was my father's favorite, while mine was the Chinese restaurant. We hit that one up 3 times in one week. This was the easiest restaurant to get in to by tipping, if you don't have a reservation. Don't even try it at the Brazilian Steakhouse. My crazy yet lovable mother pitched a fit when they told us that they didn't have us listed the night we had a reservation, only to find out that we had the DAY wrong. Oops. Haha. We all had a big laugh about that one. The food was very good, although you did not get more of something if you liked it, they served everything once. But the best part of that meal was the dessert, pineapple that was cooked in rum and possibly honey and sugar. it was heavenly, and I'm not even a fan of the fruit. This was the only restaurant I remember getting wine at, your choice of white or red.
I did not try the Dominican restaurant, and the sushi at the VIP beach was clean, but kind of bland. But it was fun to eat while lounging on the beach. Be prepared to possibly wait for a while in line.
The Thursday night party at the pool was very fun, and the food was what you expect when you hear about really good BBQ food. Was definitely better than the restaurants and the buffets.
But nothing, absolutely nothing, tops the Sunday night Welcome Party. It was truly a magical night. Our family had been getting a little crabby after spending so much time together, but this party bonded us all. First off, CHAMPAGNE!!! We FINALLY got our Champagne that we had been crazing. Was it great quality, honestly, I couldn't tell you because I was just so happy to have it. My dad tipped our server the moment we received our first glasses and asked her to "Keep them coming" for all 6 of us, which she did for the next few hours!!! We had piles of empty glasses, and full ones, on our table throughout the night. This was the only place that served lobster too! It wasn't Red Lobster lobster, but when you can grab 5 of them, it evens out. :) The entertainment was amazing, much better than what I've seen at other resorts in the Dominican and in Mexico. All of us girls, aged 26-55, all got on stage and danced our way up and down the catwalk. This was the first and only night where we thought we may have had too much to drink, since we were getting the Real Thing. But we all managed not to fall off the stage, which both surprised and relieved me. Word to the wise, if you are in building 5 like we were, just walk to the party, don't wait for 45 minutes or so for a shuttle. We waited about a half hour for one, then a man decided to walk anyone over who didn't want to wait any longer. We went with him, and ended up passing right by our room. lol How silly of us.
But a word of warning, anytime you go to another country, especially if you aren’t a seasoned traveler, or if you have a weak stomach, you are going to most likely have issues with the food. Because of this, some of us chose to stick to the American Food Plan in the buffets, which was Breads, cereal, and meat. We held off on anything questionable, especially the fruit. The one of us who didn’t was the one who ended up having stomach problems the entire trip. This person, however, also had the same issues on his trip to Japan 2 years earlier, so I assume it had nothing to do with this resort specifically, but the fact that he’d only had food in another country once before coming to this resort. Advice, take an enema, antacid, antidiarrheal medicine, Advil, and Pepto with you when you come here, or any place in a 3rd world country. We were all very happy I had these things, although only 2 people needed to use them.

ROOMS: The room was kind of small, and our safe was broken, but the ones in the other rooms worked so we didn’t have an issue. The balconies were very nice; some had better views than others. The beds weren’t bad, I was expecting worse. My father had 2 back surgeries recently, and he didn’t have many complaints (which if you knew him, you’d know is a compliment when it comes to beds). We were on the second floor of building 5, which I had requested in an email before our arrival. I had asked for us all to be close together and we were all about 3 doors away from one another. The toilets are like in Europe, and not very high pressured, so be smart and don’t wait until the very end of doing your business to flush, or you may end up with issues. Towels were hard to come by, I think the room always had 3, which is an odd number. But whenever we’d track down housekeeping and ask, they’d bring us new ones. Do NOT hand them your used towels and tell them to come back later, as you could be waiting a long time without any. Oh, and the air-conditioning worked perfectly, although some rooms were noticeably cooler than others. I also never saw a single bug in the room, although bugs are usually the reason I request an upper floor. Also, note that there are no elevators in the buildings, and that Confresi is one huge HILL. I don’t think our vacation would have been tolerable for my father if we had stayed on that side of the resort. Heck, I know I would have been hurting after a day of walking from the rooms to the pool, to the beach, to the restaurants. The Tropical side was significantly flatter, thus better suited for those who are older, in less than perfect health, or just plain old don’t feel like walking uphill for upwards to 30 minutes. Anytime we wanted to visit the Confresi side, we just walked along the beach to get up to the main pool area.

POOLS: The Lifestyle side has a great pool, better suited to families with children, although we loved it as well. It has a place to check out floaties, and basketballs, and there’s a hoop in the pool. My father and I would stalk the little children, and as soon as their attention was diverted, would grab the toys and play with them ourselves. Only in the Dominican will a somewhat respectable family get into a life or death game of monkey in the middle in the pool. LOL We had a great time, playing around there. They also had a drink making contest, as well as a dance contest later going on that was fun to watch. There is an area to swim up to the bar, but it doesn’t connect to the main pool, which I thought was bizarre.
The Confresi main pool was my FAVORITE. There was a lower lever ice bar that was igloo/cave themed. Very cool, with tables in the water, and waterfalls which gave us all great back massages. The bar however was not open, but it was still a fun place to grab some shade and a massage for a bit.
The pool was very clean, both pools actually, which when you consider the kids and the drinks in them is a miracle. At night, there were fun things like dance lessons going on outside the Confresi pool, which was fun or us to do.

DRINKS: Except for the Sunday night party, none of us really got tipsy let alone drunk during our stay here, and it wasn’t for lack of trying. HAHA So no, the drinks are not super strong, however it’s not hard to simply ask for a topper or two in you mixed drink when they try to hand it back to you. I can say I hated the Yellow Bird, although it packed a punch, and we all LOVED the Rum punch. The cocolocos were nothing like the ones in Punta Cana, and they were different every place we ordered them, but still a couple of them were delish. OK, here is the MOST IMPORANT DRINK ADVICE I can give you… lay off the Coconut drinks. I repeat, lay off the coconut drinks. Coconut milk was the reason so many of us had issues on our first 3 days here. We didn’t think that 8 CocoLocos, along with Pina Coladas would have any negative affect on us. We were WRONG, and lost a few hours each day because of this. After realizing this, things went a lot more smoothly for us.

BEACH: The beach was not a white sand, picture perfect beach like in Punta Cana, and occasionally, there was an interesting smell that popped up, but we didn’t really spend time on the beach. It is more like the beach of a small deserted island than it is like Miami Beach or Punta Cana. It had a different type of charm. The beach area on the Confresi side was MUCH better than the Tropical side, however the VIP each area and the regular area with huge covered plush beach loungers made the Tropical side our favorite. We preferred the regular loungers to the VIP section loungers because the VIP ones didn’t seem to get any breeze, and in May, that was a huge problem. We abandoned our VIP spots almost immediately. However, the VIP section was fantastic because of their cold water Jacuzzis and their premium beverages.

TIMESHARE: Yes, this place tried to get its guests to attend a timeshare presentation. But for $12-$100 a night, can you blame them? My group was asked if they were interested at check-in, we said nicely but firmly that we were not going to spend our time doing that on this vacation, and we were never bothered again. I had my guard up for no reason the first 3 days. I kept looking at the people in those shirts, just standing around, and was waiting to make a dash for it if they came over to me, but they never did. I finally told myself on day 4 that they weren’t after me, and I could relax and actually smile at them if they walked in my direction. Lol The other couple with us actually decided to go just for fun a few days later, and they said it was very interesting, not there was no pressure to buy. She said it was almost like her tour guide knew she wasn’t interested, and still had no problem showing her all the resort had to offer. Her tour guide was actually a woman from the U.S., who came to the resort on vacation one year, and just decided to never go home. Can you believe that? From what I hear, she was very nice and treated our friends like her friends, never making them feel bad when they mentioned they couldn’t afford it with 2 boys in college.

GOLF: Oh my god, do NOT play the course that is “Free” for Cheap Carribean customers. You end up paying about $60pp, and it is a cow pasture. Seriously, the best part was when one of the caddies offered to climb a tree and pick my mother a fruit off a tree. Although we’ll admit, seeing the machete in his hand did take us back or a second. Lol But the caddies earned their pay. Helped us locate our golf balls, which was tough on such a dump of a course, and the entertained us without meaning to. After one shot my dad’s friend took, the caddie shook his head and said “Aye Carramba!”. Lol That MADE the entire golf experience worth it, but seriously, do not play there. Go somewhere else, even if it’s pricy. But my recommendation is to leave the clubs at home.

CASINO: While there is no casino on the property, the hotel will be more than happy to call you a cab to take you to the local one about 5-10 minutes away. We went there about 3 times over the week. While not grand, it was much better than we expected, and we were really hot on the table games. Cabs to and from the hotel and casino are free (due to an agreement between them). But, you’ll most likely be expected to tip a couple dollars to the cabbie. Our cabbie even offered to pick us up at a time of our choosing after we gave him a $5 tip for driving four of us there.

Overall, this place was an amazing value for the price we paid. It is a HUGE resort, so while there’s a bit of walking or waiting for trams, there’s always something going on. You will not be bored. When I vacation in the states, I expect different things from a resort than what I expect to find in the Dominican, so I did not have any issues at all with my vacation that pickier, stuffier people may find. This was truly a tropical paradise for an easy going family vacation. I would recommend this place to families, both young and old, and also as a girls getaway. I will return, in the near future. Thanks again to the staff, for making a good vacation great!

If anyone is interested in this resort, and has any specific questions, I’d be more than happy to answer them for you. I’m always happy to help a fellow traveler out.

Room Tip: Email a room request ahead of time. State where you'd rather be, either by a main pool, in a qu...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
16 Thank AESWillowGrove
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Service people work here do their job excellently. Food is ok, nothing special. Rooms are really bad, they smell, mosquitoes are everywhere. It really depends on where you book your room from. Tropical is bad, that is where I stayed. I think it is the cheapest one. The sea was too wavy, but I went there in December. It should be ok during the summer. Take a room from Royal Suites.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Bb C
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Lifestyles is a great place to stay, there are a few things to know first:
This resort is massive - it has different sub resorts all in one big one. This makes it fun but also confusing.
Town isn't very accessible - it's a minimum $50 US cab ride there and back but you can barter with the drivers.
We purchased a groupon for the "Crown Residence" and went with another couple. We requested adjoining rooms and had to change our reservation at the last minute because we flew standby. The hotel was incredibly accommodating and we still had rooms that were a few doors down despite last minute changes.
Crown Residence suites were large and comfortable. They had balconies and had been renovated with tile. They spray your apartments so there are no bugs.
They try to sell you a time share but since I had read about this online we said no thank you to the tour and went to the beach. Some other friend we had met there said the tour took up to 5 hours (when you're only staying for 5 days or so that's a waste of time unless you're looking to buy). So when they tell you it's time for your "Welcome Package" and start being overly nice just say no thanks.
The people are all very genuinely nice otherwise.
You have to make a reservation at 9 am to get a dinner seating and each "sub hotel" is only given a choice of a few. A minor inconvenience. The Casablanca buffet sucks. Italian, Mexican, Dominican and Seafood are good. We all got sick at some point, just make sure you bring immodium and pepto and you should be fine.
There are so many pools and beaches here we didn't even make it to all of them. I suggest exploring.
The alcohol is sub-standard, we had access to one VIP beach and they had brand name liquors so we drank there most of the time.
At night there's not a lot to do unless you make your own fun. The 'shock' the pools every night so you can't swim after 7 pm (or just don't get caught) and bring a deck of cards - they have nightclubs but I guess we're not nightclub people.
We brought pool floaties - an amazing accessory.
Some of the night clubs and restaurants are VIP so you can't use them but who cares.
The 'free WIFI' on the VIP sucks as well so don't plan on working.
They have an obnoxious helicopter they fly the VIP's in around the resort. It was very distracting from trying to sleep, get a massage or relax.
It was a wonderful vacation. We all loved the Dominican Republic and the people. The resort was a lot of fun, they had lots of games and free equipment rentals. Food was the best I've tried out of all the all-inclusive resort destinations I've been too.
Our flights were delayed again so they upgraded us to a two bedroom villa for only $80/night each and moved all our luggage for us.
The staff are so happy and helpful - they really want to make sure you have a great time, they have interesting stories to tell. We brought jewellery to give the housekeepers and they really liked that as well.
I would go to this resort again but only if they did another Groupon. If we had paid full price I would have been disappointed with a few of the things aforementioned.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple