The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Accord, New York, United States
“Great Vacation”
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Our first vacation to the Dominican Republic was to Lifestyle Tropical resort and "what a Blast" the staff was OUTSTANDING!!!! hats off to Hector aka Michalel Jordan from the entertainment team around the pool this young man really went above and beyond.....
Only complaint the lack of hot water, or sometinme no water to shower..
Going again very soon...
Became a VIP Lifestyle member...

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Mike H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,035)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I don't even know where to begin with this place. We were scheduled to stay 5 nights (2/3-2/8) but were forced to stay 3 extra nights because the noreaster back in Boston canceled our flights back home.

We went to Lifestyle with 17 people, 13 of which were in 2 villas. My girlfriend and I, as well another couple stayed at the Tropical in VERY basic rooms. They had the gold blacelet which gets you into everything. We had the yellow bracelet, which CheapCarribean.com told us was VIP, but couldn't have been further from the truth as we couldn't get into any of the "nicer" restaurants or beaches on the whole resort (unless you paid off the bartenders or the security) in some places like serenity beach.

The villas themselves were awesome, they had their own pool, flat screen tv, bedrooms, wifi, and a person that came every morning to make a crappy breakfast for them so they didn't have walk to the crappy breakfest buffet like the rest of the pool souls at the resort.

In our room at the tropical all the power went out the first night, which was pleasant. Certain things didn't work like the TV or the fridge; but we weren't there to stay in the room, we were there to drink and relax and as long as our AC worked I didn't really care. The AC in the other couples room didn't work any night for the entire 8 night stay and regardless of how many times they called to have it fixed no one ever showed up.

The first night we were there was the night of the super bowl and they put on a huge "superbowl party" where they had a massive tent with tons of overcooked, tasteless food. They did however have a few bar tents set up to drink. They had the game on 3 huge projection screens with the audio playing on a giant stage set up for music, it was pretty legit....that is until midway through the 2nd quarter when they muted the game and a black Kenny G came out and played the saxiphone for 20 minutes. It was the most bizzare thing I've ever seen. Anyone there who actually wanted to watch the game, left.

Food:

I'm not a food critic and I know I'm spoiled for growing up in New England and eating great food all the time but I've traveled all over the world and have never eaten food so bad. The only thing that I could stomach each morning was an omelate which they overcooked each day as well as (dominican style) fruit loops in a bowl of (I swear to god) breast milk. You know it's not good milk when they keep it mixing all day in a slushy machine.

Best food advice I can give is make reservations for the places that ARE NOT a buffet. The italian restaurant (Belini), the chinese food restaurant, and the mexican restaurant were the only ones we liked and ate at multiple times.

Service:

The only thing worse than the food was the service. They were the most unhelpful, manipulative, and shady people I've ever encountered and to make things comical, under each persons name tag was "we're here for you" which was like a slap in the face. You expect to be pestered by people trying to sell you things when you go to a country like this but the extent in which people go to sell you anything is both ridiculous and annoying.

ALSO: If you want to make it back home alive, stay away from the catamaran!!! For $70/person we were told we could go on a 25 person catamaran all day and drink, eat, and go snorkling. This was the only thing we left the resort to do. We all woke up early to catch an 8am bus that took us 30 minutes away to a catamaran which already had 50+ people on it (there were people on the roof it was so packed!!) We thought the tour guide was joking when 17 of us showed up and told us to head onto the boat. Long story short we didn't get on the boat (cuz we had a brain in our head) and demanded they take us back we were curse out the service people and after an hour got our money back.

Money:

Bring cash for tips, specifically all smaller bills because they WILL NOT break down USD for you even though they have it.

Last little story that pretty much sums up this place: The Wifi "Business Center" charges $4 for 15 minutes of wifi. We walked in and gave the kid working there 4 $1. As we were leaving this couple walks in and said we'd like to do 15 minutes and hands the kid a $5. The kid looks at the guy right in the eyes and says "Sorry sir, I don't have change for that" and the people walked out. We couldn't believe it, we had just given the kid $1's, he had them right behind the desk but he lied about it anyways. This happened everywhere! They would lie right to you face, even the "currency exchange" station refused to break down $20's for you.

I'm clearly venting but this was one of the most ridiculous experiences I've ever had. I don't understand how there are any positive reviews on this site about this place. Once again, I'm not rich, not a snobby food critic, and I've never written a review in my life, just couldn't let this one go after that experience. Beautiful beaches, beautiful resort (externally), but everything else was brutal. If you want a nice tropical experience go to Aruba, it'll be more money but at least you won't feel like you're being taken advantage of.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Tropical, rooms are a dump, stay at Confresi or in a villa if you can afford it.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
19 Thank Chris O
Berkley, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 26 February 2013

The staff is great until something happens. My cell phone was taken out of the room safe. They have a gaurentee on the reciept but did not honor that. I am out $300 even with insurance.
They also target you to listen to their presentation to sell you a vacation club. It took half of a day.
NOT HAPPY!!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Mark C
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I would like to begin my review by thanking John Cena for exhibiting the utmost professionalism by guiding me through my entire vacation and letting me know about the resort's daily activities. He made my vacation stay the easiest I have experienced with great ease. My vacation In the Dominican Republic was the best ever and I will certainly visit again in the very near future. It's superb service from employees like John Cena. He deserves a promotion and a raise. He is very intelligent and knowledgeable.

Room Tip: No comment, I had the best room service provided by Mirella? We love her. She's very attentive t...
1 Thank Elizabeth M
managementteam55, Manager at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Dear guest,

It is of great honor to us to receive a review like this one that you have kindly shared with us. Your compliment towards our staff really shows the readers the true results of our efforts to provide a unforgettable experience and also help us to always improve our service. We are glad to see that we have achieved your satisfaction and we hope to have you with us at our Resort in the near future.

Best Regards,
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 February 2013

The staff was amazingly friendly and helpful during our stay! I especially enjoyed my Spanish lessons with Lenny. We also went on an amazing tour of Damjangua Falls. Good place for beautiful weather and relaxation.

1 Thank M W
Dear guest,

We really appreciate that you took your time to write this comment, expressing how much fun you had at our resort.
It makes us feel proud to hear that our employees gave you an excelent service and that you could see part of our beautyful country.

We hope to have you back at our resort very soon.

Best Regards,
New Hampshire
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We purchased this trip from a Groupon deal so we didn't know what to really expect nor were our expectations high. This was a trip booked on a whim for a much needed getaway with a friend. Once we arrived we pleased with the location and look of the hotel. Check in was a breeze and they quickly brought us to our room which was perfect for what we needed. The only thing about the room was the shower leaked, which turned into more of a joke, and we never called to have it fixed. Our maid was friendly, prompt, and always remember us when she saw us outside the room. She helped us in many of our silly in need mishaps! Once settling in, we quickly booked it to the pool/beach and was instantly in vacation mode. There we so many pool area choices that it was never a struggle to find a spot to lounge in all day. The entertainment crew was a lot fun. They did an amazing job at keeping you active and laughing all day. John Cena, Johnny Bravo, Blackie, P Diddy, Banana, Choco Choco, I wish I could remember all there names, but the whole crew were very good and worked hard. Even the evening shows put on by the dancers were an surprise addition that we looked forward to seeing each night.
We never seemed to make it to any of our reservations to the restaurants so we don't have much to say on that side of the resort, but we enjoyed the buffet for what it was. We didn't plan this trip around our possible dining experiences.
Do try to get off property at least once. We did the waterfalls and it was incredible. Then our taxi driver took us on a detour coming back and showed us around town.
I also want to mention that our flight got delayed for a few extra days because of the east coast snow storm, and extending our stay was easy. They understood, and kept us in the same room.
Overall, we had a fantastic trip. We found the entire staff to be pleasant and friendly. Even the waiter who worked the "snack" bar from midnight to 5 am (you know that poor kid deals with so many drunk people at that hour) was upbeat and always smiling. We would def recommend this place to anyone looking to relax, laugh, dance, and enjoy each others company.

4 Thank August813
Dear guest,
First at all we would like to thank you for choosing Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort and Spa as the destination for your vacations, also for taking the time to post your comments about your stay among us.
We would like to express how glad we are to read that you had enjoyed a memorable experience due to the friendliness of our staff, in special from our Animation Team.
In Lifestyle we are committed to ensure to our guests a memorable holiday.
It will be a pleasure for the whole team to welcome you back at our resort.
Please feel free to contact us prior your arrival.

With regards,
Canada, Kentucky
Reviewed 25 February 2013

hey this resort was awesome and really nice,the staff was great .p.diddy or michael jordan its really crazy and he made my vacations great.thanks and ill come back soon,...

the food was good and the drinks as well the shows were nice...
about the welcome party is the best that i havent seen in all my trips i've been in usa,canada,germany but dominican republic and lifestyle has a good style..

Room Tip: .great....
2 Thank luz g
Dear Guest,

First of all we thank you, for taking your time to write this review, its wonderful for us to hear that you had an great week at our Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort and Spa.
I’s really nice to hear you think our staff is great and that you could enjoy your stay.
We hope to have you back at our resort very soon.

Best regards,