The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$287
US$207
Be Live Collection Marien(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$160
  • Breakfast included
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$156
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
Blue JackTar(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$154
US$149
US$157
Iberostar.com
  • Breakfast included
Sunscape Puerto Plata Dominican Republic(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$180
US$156
US$158
US$132
  • Breakfast included
Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$203
US$130
Bookit.com
  • Pool
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$303
US$237
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
ClubHotel Riu Merengue(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$113
TripAdvisor
5,000 results
All reviewsvip beachjulio the rockgeorge of the jungleblue lagoonwelcome partyocean worldsushi barcasa blancasalamicasablanca buffetwater aerobicsdominican republicbeach bedsvip partyserenity beachthese guyshorseback riding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We had a wonderful time at The Tropical. Plenty of food and sun . The entertainment was great , we met some wonderful people . A special thanks to Jhony Bravo for his friendliness and some tough water aerobics. We will definitely go back and take some friends .

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
The Management T, Manager at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear Adrian,

Thank you very much for your nice comments and we are looking forward to welcome you and your friends for a nother unforgetable vacation at Lifestyle.
Best regards

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I have been to the this resort four years in a row. The staff and individuals responsible for entertaining guests are great. John Cena, Lenny Kravitz, Puchi Puchi, and Big Bamboo all work so hard to keep guests involved in activities and entertained. They do activities throughout the day for guests (water aerobics, games, mini dance lessons) and nightly entertainment ranging from performances in Vegas type shows to ice breaker and audience participation games. They made my stay so enjoyable with their friendliness, professionalism, and all around warmth. I wish my stay had been longer not only because of the beautiful location, but because of the people.

Room Tip: I should mention I was staying in a villa so did not stay in the tropical rooms so I do not know how they compare. My first year I think my family and I stayed in one of the rooms near the Italian restaurant through a point exchange for a timeshare my parents had and I thought it was very nice too, but I don't know which part of the resort it belonged to. The food for when you buy into the resort and get a VIP band is excellent, I don't remember being a huge fan of the food before that though, but again that was four years ago so I would recommend looking at another more recent review for room and food info. I wanted to write a review about the entertainment and people working there who are wonderful and deserve a lot of credit for how great everything is.

Dear Heather,
Thank you for having chosen Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata already for the 4th time and for sharing your experience with us through this website.
It is a pleasure to read, that you had a wonderful vacation in our resort.
We are also very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities. On behalf of all staff I would like to thank you for your nice words of recognition for our work.
We look forward to welcoming you soon back at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 15 November 2013

first time going there and it some awesome would recommend it to everyone staff and services are great and very friend and care about the guest the welcome is outstanding and the night shows are awesome very friendly staff members john cena ,big bamboo, and lenny kravitz are awesome guys and hell of entertainers great job guys keep it up!!

Room Tip: all the room i stood in were perfect
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank mike s

Thank you so much for your nice comments. It was our pleasure to host you at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata and we look forward to welcoming you back for another unforgettable vacation.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

I just returned from a stay of 4 nights at the Cofresi and one night at the Tropical, so I will post reviews under both properties, including the specifics of each resort.

First, overall the resort is phenomenal - The grounds are beautiful, most of the staff could not be friendlier, the Sunday night party is phenomenal and over the top from the food to the entertainment (one of the best sax players I have heard in years). The only food that we did not enjoy was Indochine, the Asian restaurant - Otherwise, we ate at Bellini (passable), The Blue Lagoon, the Mexican Restaurant, and both buffets. I was impressed by the quality of the buffet, but found that the buffet at Cofresi was much better - I blamed this more on the guests than the resort, because Tropical was much busier - the food was picked over and at the end many times, I don't think the staff could keep up with the demand. The pools were all lovely, and the beach was great at VIP beach. The property is huge, so I wouldn't advise trying to walk too many places - but shuttles were quick and plentiful.

The annoying part of it is the sales pitch - I understand that it is a vacation club - however, I do not want to be hounded at every turn - which is how I felt at some points by the men in white shirts who were trying to convince us that we had to come receive our welcome package - they actually receive payment if they get you to the welcome center and hand you off to a sales person, so I understand their incentive. We were fortunate on our first day to meet a shareholder with a golf cart, and he took us on a wonderful tour of the property and explained all the amenities - If I were seeking to buy into a club, this would be it - And if you have never been to the property, the tour would be helpful because it is huge. However, having said no, I don't want to be bothered again, and I don't want phone calls to my room in the early am by sales people - I am on vacation and want to enjoy my vacation, not have to get up and meet them. So, if you are of a similar mindset, avoid the men in white shirts that say "we work for you" on the back.

Now for the ugly - We had booked at the Cofresi through Cheap Caribbean, and then went to add an additional night before we left due to flights - which my friend did through Expedia. By mistake, she booked at the Tropical. From the day we arrived, we attempted to work with the resort to have this changed so that we could just stay in the same room at Cofresi. We talked to the front desk, the Expedia rep on site, the Guest Services, etc... EVERY single day, and were told that we could sort it out. Two days before we were to switch rooms, we even spoke on the phone to Expedia from the front desk, and Expedia spoke to the front desk. Each time, we were told by the front desk that it would not be a problem and would be handled. However, on our second to last day, it was still not resolved. So, we spent about two hours standing in the lobby of the Cofresi, on the phone with Expedia - Expedia was attempting to contact the reservation desk of the Tropical to confirm that the switch was approved. I stood on hold for an hour and a half, only to have the Expedia rep come back to me and tell me that the Tropical reservations had hung up on them six times, or transferred them to a voicemail box. We gave up and just switched rooms. While we were at the Tropical, each time we attempted to call the front desk or the bellman, we had the same happen to us and had to walk to the front to reach a live person.

When we arrived over at the Tropical (around 1pm), our room was not ready, so we headed down to the beach. We were told that the room would be ready around 3pm - We didn't return to get our keys until 6pm. The bellman took us to our new room - only to find that it hadn't been cleaned, the beds looked like someone had just woken up, and there was food on the dresser. When we went back down to the lobby and asked for a different room, the front desk tried to tell us they would send housekeeping to clean the room - which is totally unacceptable, and after some arguing they finally moved us. The room at Tropical was outdated - much smaller than what we had had at Cofresi, with a tiny TV and only a shower stall. We changed clothes and went to get dinner - only to find a note that our room was to be fumigated for bugs in the morning. The whole experience with the hotel part of Tropical was so frustrating, it was not a great end to the vacation.

I would definitely go back - however, I would stay at the Cofresi or rent through an owner rather than risk dealing with what we had at the Tropical again.

2  Thank suz
The Management T, Manager at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Thank you so much for your nice comments. It was our pleasure to host you at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata.
We are sorry for the inconveniences regarding your last night at the Tropical and we will look in to this matter. You can be sure that your experiences at this unit of our complex are certainly not the norm. We hope we can welcome you back for another unforgettable vacation.

Hotel Manager
The Tropical, Royal Suites,
Crown & Residence Suites

Reviewed 13 November 2013

staff was excellent with good stretching and water aerobics classes each morning john cena was professional and an excellent trainer as well as making it fun johnny bravo also did a great job wonderful vacation

Hotel Manager