“Worse food ever”

Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Eagle, Michigan
“Worse food ever”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

If you are not a Lifestyles member, you do not have access to better bars and restaurants. Membership costs $25,000 plus. Horrid, horrid food. Bitter coffee, no creamer. Juice tastes worse than Tang. Tough, chewy, tasteless beef, pork (including bacon and sausage), lamb. Chicken was the only good meat, but who wants to eat chicken twice a day. Tried five or six different types of seafood, mushy, tasteless, cheap fish. Awful salad dressing, runny and cheap. Poor quality fruits and vegetables. Food was at best room temperature. Oily, foul tasting soups, cereals, pancakes/waffles/French toast (and cheap syrup). Worse pasta sauces and pizza I've ever had. Never had even one good dessert, bread or roll. Most god-awful burgers, hotdogs, fries, meats and cheeses for sandwiches. I survived on eggs and toast (bread that I wouldn't take for free back home) for breakfast and chicken for lunch and dinner. Can't even make decent red beans. Alcohol: draft beer (one kind), cheap, awful wine (two kinds), and cheap, low-end alcohol. The food was so bad that I would not go back even if I were offered a free trip, premium alcohol, and free massages daily. Worse vacation I ever had.

Room Tip: Even if I had a superb room, which I odd not, the food and alcohol was horrid.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mary Jane R
The Management T, Manager at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Thank you for sharing your experiences of your recent stay at our resort. However in regards to the comments made on our food, with all our respect and taking in consideration that the client is always right, we need to point out that in this case we cannot agree on your comments. Please note that even though we are fully aware that we cannot satisfy each client’s taste and considering that during your stay we had approximately 2500 guests eating daily in our restaurants, we would like to advise that we always offer a big variety of different food and drinks in order to offer something for everybody’s taste. We sincerely regret that, on this occasion, we were not able to meet your expectations, but the mostly positive comments of other guests show us that we on the right track.
Best regards
Annett Fiedler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,035)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 28 January 2014

This is not our first all-inclusive vacation, but our first one to this particular resort. Overall, we had a very nice time. The resort itself was quite nice, with the exception of the rooms. The rooms are just very dated and the bed was quite uncomfortable, but honestly, who goes on vacation to chill in the room all day??...not us. For us, if the room is fantastic, it's just an added bonus! I will say that our hotel room and building were in a prime location though. It was noisy at night as it overlooked the main pool where all the entertainment was, but it didn't bother us.

The food would be my second complaint, but again, I'm not one to gorge myself in all you can eat buffets, so I would just pick and choose what I did like and stuck with that day to day. The restaurants (in which you need a reservation for) were all quite nice though, so we were very satisfied with those. Restaurant staff were all fantastic and truly made the experience of trying a new place.

The drinks on the other hand....AMAZING! These were legit drinks (especailly at the bar down by the beach) and it didn't matter what we got, they were all awesome! The beach beds were fantastic and we never really had much of a problem getting a bed each day, but we usually went down to save one early in the am. The actual beach, although pretty, was seaweed city and I will say I only put my feet in the water on 2 occasions during our trip due to the massive amounts of seaweed. Honestly though, I didn't mind utilizing the rest of the beautiful beach, beach beds and great pool entertainment.

The staff...EXCEPTIONAL! From the bar tenders, to the entertainment, they would go above and beyond. Now, we of course tipped well, as they deserved it, but they appreciated every cent you gave them and their service reflected that. I have to make a special shout out to Jhony Bravo...He was great! We spent most of our vacation by the beach, but the time we spent by the pool was a blast. He was so much fun and always made us feel like we were the only ones there! He absolutely deserves recognition for his hard work.

Overall, we really had a fun-filled, yet super relaxing vacation and I would definitely consider revisiting this resort in the future!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Courtney L
Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata. Thank you for choosing our resort for your holidays and for the time you spent sharing your review with other travelers on Tripadvisor.com.
We are happy to read that your recent stay at our resort was overall what you expected and we thank you for your valuable comments.
Thanks again and will be a pleasure to have you back.
Sincerely yours,
Alliston, Canada
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Well where do I begin, we booked this trip while looking at pictures on the internet followed by reading the info in a travel book. We were not booked at The Tropical but instead booked and stayed at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, a sister to The Tropical. Both resorts are located on Cofresi Beach and part of Lifestyles Holiday Vacations, there are shuttle busses / vans that run to all the resorts in the complex, we spent most of our time at The Tropical, The buffet was better with more selection and choices of freshly prepared omelets, pasta, and grilled meats, not to mention the attentive staff who were always there with a smile to top up the coffee or bring another drink. The entertainment was great, there was more staff to keep people moving and grooving. I think we most enjoyed our time at the pool doing aqua fit with Jhony Bravo, he is a small but built guy who makes working out fun. He clearly showed the workout moves, explained in English, French and Spanish and always ended with a fun group activity and massage.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Rowena,
We are glad to learn that you enjoyed all our services and facilities and that your vacation experience was a memorable one.
Your nice comments were passed to the rest of the team.
Thank you for making The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata to your preferred vacation destination and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future for another unforgettable vacation with your family.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I've been to this resort four times. My first experience was horrible and vowed i'd never go back, but I decided to give it another shot, I liked and went back two more times. I was there 2011,2012 and twice in 2013. This place has improved significantly, the food is better, non VIPs have more access to various parts of the resort than earlier years. The big sunday dinner and dance parties are awesome, the foam party on Thursday nights is a heck of a party, get ready to get wet and glittered up. The staff is friendly and i'm certain if you go back you'll see the same familiar staff( part reason I've been back here a couple of times). I hope everyone enjoys this place as much I did....... VIP beach club, cabanas, cabana boys/girls, whirl pool was where I spent a lot of time...... Enjoy.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank steve k
Dear Steve,
Thank you for choosing The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata for your holidays already for the 4th time and giving us your honest point of view about our property and services. Thank you for making The Tropical to your preferred vacation destination and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future for another unforgettable vacation with your family or friends.
Yours Sincerely,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 January 2014

jhony bravo at Tropical provides emotions with exercise classes in the pool. I usually take a break from gym activities during the holidays, but their level of creativity u r amazing jhony bravo sexy short boy good luck in your future.......

Room Tip: rooms 5225 very quiest that area
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank kristy v
Thank you for your comments which were passed to the mentioned member of our team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sunny regards,

Middletown, New York
Reviewed 23 January 2014

When we first arrived we were disappointed because they had downgraded us from a Crown suite to a room at the tropical. The tropical is definitly outdated & could use a makeover. The one thing that got us going & made us have a good time was the staff at the pool. We took spanish lessons every day with MOSQUITO, he was a pleasure to work with & even went above & beyond so we could learn the most in our short time. I took the aerobic classes in the pool every day with LENNY CRAVIZ. He is truly a comedian. JOHNNY BRAVO also gave a good class. Lenny & Mosquito had us dancing by the pool bar & on stage at the colloseum before the show. The waiters & waitresses at the beaches & the restaurants, especially the buffet at the tropical were outstanding! Your Brazilian restaurant, for me, had the best dinner that we ate. all in all we had a good time, but it would have been much better if we had the room we originally booked. You certainly can't complain about the scenary or the weather, but mother nature takes care of that! It was beautiful!

Room Tip: I don't have one. maybe book higher because I understand by talking to MANY people, downgrading...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Lucille,
First of all thank you for having chosen Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata as your holiday destination.
We are happy to read that your recent stay at our resort was overall what you expected. We take all guest feedback seriously because we want to improve with you. It was our pleasure to host you at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata and we look forward to welcoming you back with your friends or family.
Sunny regards

Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I traveled to DREAMS La Romana 10/16-10/22/2013 for my boyfriends birthday!!!(great trip and resort) Then came back home and found the greatest deal on cheapcarribean.com to traveled to Puerto Plata 10/26-11/1/2013 which fell on my Birthday week!! OMG how excited for $560.00 included 7days all inclusive trip.. We happily jumped on the plain and away we went again!! Well the resort itself is well kept and for the price we were not going to complain. The room was dated but clean. We had water,soda and beer in our mini fridge, dated tv but who watches tv while on vacation. We had a nice balcony facing the side of the pool. Small reception area, we thought that we would have to wait along to time to check in but it was pretty quick. We did have to pay for the secured lock box in the room per day. They gave us to pre-reserved restaurant vouchers to eat at 9:30pm which was to late for me to eat and plus thats the time we would head over to watch the nightly shows. I tried to reschedule several times and was successful on one of the reservations to the mexican restaurant. It was ok, but for what we paid we did not complain. We preferred to eat at the buffet anyways. The food was really good especially lunch buffet. It had a little bit of everything. We did do the tour of the resort and they try to convince you to pay extra so you can have access to the VIP section of the hotel! We had their top shelf liquor haggled with them and called it a day!!!
Things you must know:
If you buy through cheap caribbean you dont have access to the VIp areas of the resort. The minute you arrive to the resort you will be approached by a gentleman that will set a time for you to see the VIP seciton of the resort (he gets a $20 commission). I must tell you it is beautiful!!! You will be tempted but if they dont get you drunk enough you just keep saying no till they let you go!! We had our tour and then we were there haggling for about 1 hour (drinking). We didnt care to buy because you can just rent thru one of the owner/shareholders and enjoy the VIP that way.(I already booked a VILLA for 10/2014) the amenities are GREAT!!! You will see the tour guys in the morning running around asking people if they already did the tour.( thats how they make there money) We kindly said yes and kept it moving. They also have vendors on the property selling jewelry, cigars etc. We bought a few things to support them and even gave one of them my bathroom toiletries and a couple of dresses that i wasnt going to wear anymore he was so thankful and all very pleasant.

also they have two VIP PARTIES that you are invited to and it was so much fun!!! food was fabulous at the welcoming party and the halloween pool party was fabulous (my birthday)!! There is a VIP section of the beach that you can go to and it has these relaxing beds and jacuzzi, bar and food! We loved going there to relax! We had lots of fun!! For the price of $560. for 7 days all inclusive we could not complain at all!!! If you catch that deal on cheapcaribbean.com and dont care about the minor things in life then this is the place for you!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank elsa2048
The Management T, Manager at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear Elsa, It was certainly our pleasure hosting you at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata. We are glad to learn that you enjoyed our services and facilities and that your vacation experience was a memorable one.
We passed your nice comments to the rest of the team!
Thank you for making Lifestyle Puerto Plata the preferred resort for your vacation and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.