The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
US$185
Iberostar.com
  • Breakfast included
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$303
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
Sunscape Puerto Plata Dominican Republic(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$317
US$198
Bookit.com
US$319
US$278
US$337
US$214
  • Breakfast included
Blue JackTar(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$154
Travelocity
TripAdvisor
Priceline
4,981 results
All reviewsvip beachjulio the rockgeorge of the jungleblue lagoonwelcome partyocean worldsushi barcasa blancasalamicasablanca buffetwater aerobicsdominican republicbeach bedsvip partyserenity beachthese guyshorseback riding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 February 2014

This was my first time in the dominican republic and i had to say that i loved it there! i didn't want to leave . All the workers John Cena, Taivis, Coffee, Moskito, Puchi Puchi, they are all very kind and nice people. They really know how to get everyone dancing and to have a great time. Im a shy person but they got me dancing and even got me to go on the stage and dance too. They get everyone involved and they know how to make a boring day an amazing one! Cant wait to go back to the resort and experience all of this and see them again!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
The Management T, Manager at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

It was certainly our pleasure hosting you at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata. We passed your nice comments to the rest of the team, espacially to the mentioned ones!
Thank you for making Lifestyle Puerto Plata the preferred resort for your vacation and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Some background details: I recently stayed here for 4 days for a friend's wedding. At this point I have been to 5 different all-inclusive resorts around the Caribbean and Mexico. This was my first Dominican Republic resort. I traveled alone for this event. I booked though cheapcarribean for this stay. I usually rate 1/2 a point higher than deserved.

My arrival was rather uneventful, got off the bus and checked-in. The front desk had a mix-up in their records and showed I was booked for 7 days which was wrong it should have been just 4 days. I had to show my printed reservations from cheapcarribean for proof. It was at this point I could tell customer services was not going to be their strong suit. O'well, I was traveling by myself so I just defaulted into vacation mode and dealt with certain disconnects.

The resort appeared adequately clean and landscaping was adequately maintained. My room was clean, the bed was adequately comfortable. Notice I used the word adequate three times.

The staff: In general, most of the staff were just there going through their daily grind, not inspired to say hello or willing do anything to make someone’s trip any better. The exception were the bartenders which is normal at any resort.

The food: So I didn't go through any "traveler’s discomfort" from the food, however, the food was below par ever by all-inclusive standards. I'm an experienced traveler and love authentic cuisine but in this case, everything was either bland or forgettable. Even the Dominican themed restaurant (which required reservations) was a let-down. I ordered a simple steak and it was easily the blandest and toughest steak I’ve ever had. No hyperbole, just bad.

The beach was small and narrow with not too many beach chairs on it. Also, the water had a pretty big drop-off after 20 feet in. This is one of those places you go if you enjoy the pool more than the beach. I’m not one of those people.

The management staff needs to be more accommodating and flexible rather than by-the-book and uptight.

There isn’t really one single thing at this resort that separates itself from hundreds of other mid-rated resorts. When I book my June trip, I will be going back to either an Iberostar or a RIU resort where the food is much better and the staff much friendlier.

The wedding was fun and it was great seeing old friends but it was funny, my reoccurring thought about this resort was “Can’t wait to go somewhere else in June”. Not a ringing endorsement.

Some bullets:
-General WiFi internet was present BUT NOT FREE.
-WiFi is managed by a third party near the front of the resort BUT ONLY ACCEPTS CASH (USD for that matter).
-BRING CASH; ALL 3 ATMs were either out of cash or out-of-order and the front desk will NOT provide cash from your Debit\Credit Cards.
-There is a free WiFi hotspot by VIP Beach

1  Thank hiltinuts2
The Management T, Manager at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

First of all we thank you for choosing our hotel The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata for your holidays and for the time you took to share your comments with us. We would like to thank you for highlighting our strengths and weaknesses. Please be sure that your observations are taken into great consideration for their analysis, in order to improve the points you mentioned. We sincerely regret that, on this occasion, we were not able to fully meet your expectations. Once again we reiterate our sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have encountered and we appreciate that they took the time to give us your feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
With best regards

Reviewed 20 February 2014

This was our 1st. time to the Dominican Republic. The resort was beautiful and the grounds are very well maintained and are very pretty. It is right on the ocean with a narrow sandy beach. They do have vendors on the beach which some are pushy but not all. The resort is very very large with lots of stairs, not for the handicapped or people with major health problems while walking. The food was ok, nothing special. Our air conditioner broke and it took them 2 days to fix. With the warm weather it made it uncomfortable and didn't offer us a different room. We would go back to the Dominican but would find a different resort.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank adventure46356

Thank you for having chosen The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata as your holiday destination.
We want you to know, that your opinion is very important and valuable to us. For this reason, your comments are taken with special consideration as they help us identifying our improvement areas, giving us the opportunity to correct them, and thus achieve to offer our guests a service of the highest quality.
We look forward to welcoming you on a future occasion, in this way show that your experience is not the norm at Lifestyle.
Sincerely

Reviewed 20 February 2014

The property and the rooms looked great and were spacious. Unfortunately, the feeling was it was more a façade of a great resort as opposed to a great resort. The staff was not friendly or inviting in too many areas. The food was subpar at best. All the food looked good, but the flavors fell short. The beach is great and the location was good. I saw one reviewer say you never needed to leave the resort. That is ideal as there is nothing in the area that is worth the visit. The rooms look beautiful but stunk of mildew from the AC system. One system was broken and despite repeated requests, was never attended to. Disappointing and a great example of the lower level service.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Disappointed608

First of all we wish to express our sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you may have encountered, as well as thank you for taking your valuable time to share your experiences with us. Please be assured that whatever corrective actions have to be taken to rectify identified maintenance and service issues will be taken and we sincerely regret that, on this occasion, we were not able to fully meet your expectations. Once again we reiterate our sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have encountered and we appreciate that they took the time to give us your feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
With best regards

Reviewed 19 February 2014

We just got back from a 5 night stay @ the Tropical Lifestyle Resort. Feb 11th-16th. Girls vacation. We arrived @ the hotel. Quick Check in. After we got to our room & changed, we realized they failed to mention where any restaurants or entertainment was held & certainly didn't offer us a safe. So back to the front desk to inquire about the safe. Check In never told us about the whole not throwing paper in the toilets either. Good thing we'd been to the Dominican before & knew about this. Oh well. Small deal. As soon as we finished checking in, the Time Share folks stopped us & told us to meet them the next morning @ breakfast for our Time Share meeting. Good thing I read reviews & knew to expect this. Next morning, sure enough, they spotted us, however, we got out of having to go through this meeting & they never bothered us again. On the note of time share or VIP's. I'd read reviews about how others who are VIP's or bought into the Time Share still prefer to "downgrade" to the Tropical. I can see why. Yes, the rooms in the Confresi Palm were a lot nicer, but, those properties are quite far from where all the entertainment is.
Room: We stayed in room 1121, which was considered Ocean View. Wasn't bad @ all. 2 double beds for the 3 of us! Our room faced the pool & had a view of the ocean. Had a balcony. It was clean. We did have an issue when we showered. Due to there not being a ledge between the shower & the rest of the washroom, by the time our showers were done, the entire washroom floor was soaked.
Resort: We did a tour of the other properties that are part of the Lifestyles resorts & the Tropical is certainly the best. Closest property to the Coliseum which held the evening entertainment. The pool had lots of pool chairs to lay on during the day, which we noticed the others didn't. We had daily entertainment around the pool from late morning to mid afternoon. We did the water aerobics with Johnny Bravo 1 of the days. Was a good work out. We absolutely loved the entertainment staff. They tried so hard to get everybody involved in all their events. We all had a good time. A shout out to John Cena, Johnny Bravo, Mosquito & a few others that I can't recall the names of. They worked really hard both during the day & at night! Kudos to them. We had a swim up bar/pool bar which was nice. The bar tenders were all friendly & gave good service. 1 night we went to the Ice Bar. Was a good time. We got massages @ the Spa @ the Tropical. Amazing. Got my nails done. Took 2 hours. Super disappointed cuz who wants to take 2 hours out of being @ the beach/being on holidays for that. Oh well.
Food: We were given 2 a la carte reservations @ check in. An 8:30 & 9pm @ the Mexican as well as the Asian/Chinese. I'd read about this, so I knew to expect them so late. 1st reservation was the Chinese. We didn't want to go that late because we didn't want to miss the evening entertainment. Went in at around 7:30 to see if we could get in earlier. They hesitated but the girl went & talked to the manager, who let us in early. Food wasn't bad. We skipped the Mexican reservation due to it being Valentines Day & we saw the decorations they'd put up around the pool etc. Basically, they moved the Buffet restaurant (the Casa Blanca), to outside around the pool, put up decorations & set up tables & moved the evening entertainment to the pool! The buffet restaurant food was all quite good. Little variety after a few days, but hey, they had salad & chicken & basically that's what us ladies were looking for, so we were fine. They had a variety of fruits & different meats. Their Dominican Beans were amazing. Dessert, well, there wasn't a lot of variety, but, we all aren't really dessert eaters.

Overall, the resort was great. I'd return in a heart beat! I will also recommend it to all my friends. I'm looking forward to returning again, hopefully sooner than later!

2  Thank Julie R

Thank you for choosing The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata for your holidays. In the name of our entire staff, we want to thank you for taking time to share your review with other travelers.
Thank you to give us your honest point of view about our property and services and for your feedback. It helps us to improve our standards of service.
Please feel free to contact us, in case you decide to visit us again.
Yours Sincerely,