The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Monroe, New Jersey
“SO MUCH FUN!”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This was my first time in Puerto Plata and I absolutely loved it! I traveled with four of my best friends (all 25 year old girls), two moms, and my best friends’ grandmother… And what a FUN girls trip it was!! Having the VIP membership is the only way to go. The VIP beaches, pools and restaurants are awesome! Serenity Beach is SO gorgeous and the ‘Oh Crêpes!’ station and the Half Shell Oyster Bar there are delicious for mid-day snacks! Harmony Beach was my favorite beach – The mimosas at the entrance, the comfy beach beds, the mini pools to cool off, the beautiful views and unlimited drinks made this a very relaxing spot. I loved VIP Pool! The bartenders, servers and security guards were really friendly and personable – especially José, Jarol and Dreilin! The hookah bar, The Spot, was a fun way to unwind and relax. The party that was held Thursday night at VIP Pool was a blast! My friends and I danced the night away…covered in glitter (and we loved every minute of it!) The shows and entertainment throughout the week were fantastic. I loved seeing the beautiful costumes and watching the different routines and choreography. My two favorite entertainers were Caramelo and John Cena. John Cena is a great dancer and water aerobics instructor. Caramelo is a wonderful MC, host, and is such a sweetheart. Every time he saw me on the resort he made it a point to say hello to me, which made me feel really special and welcomed. The Welcome Party (or in our case – The ‘Adios’ Party) was SO much fun and a great way to end our trip. I can’t wait to come back to see the staff and have another amazing vacation with my girlfriends! December 2014 can’t come soon enough! :)
<3 Chelsea

2 Thank Chelsea W
The Management T, Manager at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.
We also are very pleased you enjoyed the all-inclusive program which includes a wide range of delicious food and beverage and the different activities.
It is an honor to know that our staff is providing our guests with the natural warm and hospitality that characterize the Dominican people. Please be assured that your nice comments will be forward to our staff. They will be delighted to know that they are making a difference in each guest experience.
Looking forward to welcoming you once again in December!
Sunny regards
The managment

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,019)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Avon Lake, Ohio
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Well, it took me sometime to want to write a review. Very mixed about this vacation, It was our 1st and probably last vacation for my family of six, 4 teenagers, big expectations, as I have older teenagers growing up and moving on with there lives. This meant the world to me and I was so sad at the events that happen. We spent more than this vacation was worth, let me put it that way. We could've gone to some European beach.
Our Flight was delayed 24 hrs, we lost a day at the resort, so we had traveled with a family of 6 for 24 hrs to finally get there. Arrived at 4:30 am for them to tell us we only had 1 room for us. We booked 2. And only 5 bands were given to us not 6 total. They added an additional $400 to our bill and told us its for the holiday dinner, we were NEVER told about. And added an additional $480 for another night stay. And our travel agent didn't tell us this. NEVER book with Vacationcities, ( the worst part was they had a rep on the resort and she dodged us the whole trip and wouldn't talk with us) Mind you we had already lost a full day. They wouldn't give us the key unless we paid the additional cost. Totally scammed us. We had to pay or leave. So we finally got rooms and 1hr later now 5:30am and they give us 2 crappy,small rooms for 6 people with one King bed in each room. We were ready to scream to the high heavens. Now 1 hr later we get rooms, pretty crappy and as basic as can be. The front desk was nasty and unfriendly, I feel he could've cared less. The service people are so nice, all of them on the resorts. Its the management people, very RUDE. When you don't speak spanish your at there mercy. So we practically wasted another day to sleep and stayed in the Bldg 300's. In waking up early afternoon at this point we look out to a lovely resort, the room was convenient, right by the Casablanca and close walk to the beach area. Food was good, my family was happy for a buffet and fresh fruit. Most of the days all the same Breakfast. We are simple, so food was okay. The service staff was outstanding and so friendly everywhere, That truly left a wonderful impression on my family. Andre at the pool bar was awesome--ask for his specialty drink- pretty delicious. I found the beach not so great, it look like the beach we had back home off Lake Erie, USA. The resort was kinda boring at night unless you found one of the shows.They won't let you walk the beach at night, security reason, disappointing . So I need to mention this VIP thing they have you take part in. YES this resort is ALL about the VIP thing. I felt very secluded and not as important as the VIP. They do make you take a tour and sit for a resort speech, we didn't accept the offers, waste of time. So the resort is limited to NON-VIP. For sure. The landscape on the resort is beautiful and you do feel tropical and at peace. The big Holiday party and VIP shows are over the top. But they do want to entertain and thats what they do. All for the big show VIP. We went horseback riding up the mountain, very nice trip, my kids really enjoyed that, we did the excursion to the waterfalls, great time, would recommend that. We did a city tour, on our own- don't book from the resort. Go outside the lobby and there are guys who will sell you a taxi tour with a guide pretty cheap. 6 of us 40.00 taxi, then you tip the tour guy with him. They take you through the city, not much to see then to the fort at the end of town. Enjoyable. My daughter was very disappointed not seeing 1 sunset on vacation. The mountains block the view. The water is extremely salty and had a hard time wave boarding, we did our best. My oldest son loved going to Cofresi beach, younger crowd to do some beach volleyball. We loved the beach beds to relax and take it easy. I couldn't rave about them enough. The Bartenders were fantastic and made great Pina Colada's. My daughters were there best customers. It was nice to be able to hop on both resorts for restaurants. We tried as many as we were allowed. We did get our dinner vouchers, which they gave us at check-in and the times were not so good, and hard to change. Good Luck with that. We loved the Dominican restaurant, felt authentic and thats what we wanted. Italian restaurant, so so. Had better at home. Eat what they make local. Overall I wish my stay there was more of what I thought it would be, I had a great time spending it with my family, I will cherish that always but overall I don't think I would go back to this resort simply because I wasn't a VIP member. I truly loved Dominican Republic and would definitely return, not at this resort. The people of this country have a good soul and are proud of there heritage. Thank you for that.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 300 Bldg. It was quiet for us. My children had poolside and parents had courtyard...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Lisa O
In the name of our entire staff, we want to thank you for taking time to share your review with us.
We take all guest feedback very seriously because we want improve with you, and we're constantly changing all aspects of our service and facilities. Thank you to give us your honest point of view about our property and services. On behalf of the entire Lifestyle staff, please accept our apologize for any discomfort you may have encountered.
We thank you for your feedback. It helps us to improve our standards of service.
With best regards
Salt Lake City
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We got the blue bracelets. The room was just fine. Being entitled to eat only at the buffets got a bit old. Having only one bar for free drinks was inconvenient. Closing the pools at 6:30PM with nothing to do in the evenings except drink and party seemed unnecessary. Having no chairs or lounges on the beach meant either sitting on the sand or the narrow sea wall. I came to see and hear the ocean so wanted to be on the beach. The tour to Sosua and Cabarete was a waste of time since we only saw one street and nothing of the local culture. The resort felt so artificial and
contrived I felt I was either at Disneyland or in The Truman Show. Staff in the buffet were pleasant, but spoke so little English that it was difficult to talk with them about anything except food. No free WiFi???? Snacks in shop were VERY expensive. How about just shuttles to take people into town on a regular schedule? Are there any local markets with crafts and artwork done by locals?

2 Thank traveler4070
Thank you for taking your time to share your experiences with us. Our ultimate aim is to provide service excellence; our guests’ feedback shifts our focus on any possible deficiencies that may exist throughout our Resort and helps us improve the quality of our services and facilities.
It was certainly our pleasure hosting you at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata and we are glad to learn that in general you enjoyed our services and facilities and that your vacation experience was a memorable one.
We look forward to welcoming you in the near future again.
Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I didn't know what to expect when I booked this trip. Last year I went to Punta Cana and I heard that I would be disappointed with the beaches in Puerto Plata but I can honestly say that I was the furthest from being disappointed. Not only was I completely happy with the beaches I was the most impressed with the staff on the resort. They made my trip! Every morning I was greeted with happy faces by Marino, Jose, Melvin and Kelvin. Thank you for cutting my mangos :).
I have never laughed so hard from the after dinner comedy shows, pool side entertainment, and amazing,theatrical shows at the colosseum. All you guys are so talented and so welcoming. (Thank you John Cena, Jhoni Bravo, Leni Cravitz, mosquito, Puchi Puchi, and my favorite..COFFEE).

I have never felt so relaxed after spending an afternoon at the spa and getting a coconut milk massage (Thanks Gary, and the girls at the spa!!)

Thanks to our amazing bartenders down at VIP Beach 2 (Denny, William and Isabel) who were always greeting us with a HUGE smile and who made delicious "dirty Monkey" drinks!

If you want to do horseback riding see John Wayne on the resort. One of my favorite memories is galloping up the mountain. Thank you for an amazing experience. You have to see the view!!

And last, but not least Thank you to our photo shop guys (Charlie, Baby Face and Manual), you guys take the most beautiful photos and thank you Charlie and Manual for Spanish lesson and funny drawings. To everyone that wants to books here..just do it. Enrich yourself by getting to know these amazing people and look around and realize that you are in paradise. You wont be disappointed. The people that complain on these sites are ones that are picky. The alcohol was great, the beaches are like Sauble beach in Ontario, and the food is delicious! I want to go back as soon as possible.

2 Thank Corvagl
It was certainly our pleasure hosting you at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata. We are glad to learn that you enjoyed our services and facilities and that your vacation experience was a memorable one.
We passed your nice comments to the rest of the team!
Thank you for making Lifestyle Puerto Plata the preferred resort for your vacation and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
The Managment
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Yes, our fourth time at this resort. We upgraded via a Groupon to the Crown suites which has it's own check-in desk that the Groupon didn't really state and we didn't know. The cab drivers all know the entire property by Lifestyle and didn't know where to go from there. But with some help from some handsome security gaurds we were all set. We met tio Frank at the reservations and he was so fabulous, I don't know how we ever stayed there without him. Now we know where all the dinner reservations are when we could never get them as a regular guest. We always have an amazing time here and plan to be back next year. We were so in love with Frank all the way. My boyfriend and I arrived Sunday and the welcome party was cancelled as it was supposed to rain and it did. Fortunately we've done that party before and were happy to keep it casual the first night. But instead we both got Dominican tattoos. We saw all of our friends John Cena, Pushy (we call him Sticky), Lenny, Tiaris, Captian Jack on the beach with Joel and Toto, Jabe, Javier and Jose in the buffet, David and Jorge at the pool bar. My aunt and girlfriend arrived Tuesday and I was nervous that the resort would not be fancy enough for my aunt but she loved it and loved Frank too. Thursday we went on an Excursion with Captian Jack's crew called the Party boat and for $50 we had a ride out to Sosoa and back and two different snorkling spots and lunch on the beach made by a Dominican hole in the wall. Amazing worth every penny. My aunt didn't go because she had too much sun already and tio Frank found her to set up a last minute cancellation at Oceanworld. Then we had VIP party that night and it was lacking the foam party we are used to but we still had a great time and danced in the rain. Tio Frank is one of a very few small percentage of people in this world, rare for customer service even certainly in the states. A part of me wishes we could live there or invite all of them to stay with us in Chicago. My only problem was that the Crown suites are nice but you kind of have to wait every time to get a shuttle from the hotel rooms to the VIP beach or Lifestyle resort to get anywhere, kind stinks when before you could just walk out. But we had more access this time so who's complaining? Also, the food standards in the Dominican are the lowest of the all-inclusives and we usually get bloated or something and I came back with some kind of stomach bug this time not sure from what exactly. Would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: In the Lifestyle resort Builings 3,4,5 or maybe get bumped into a Royal suite. If you can book anyt...
2 Thank hannar3dd
Thank you for having chosen The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata already for the 4th time. It is a pleasure to read, that you had a wonderful vacation in our resort.
We are also very pleased of your appraisal of our team, services and facilities. On behalf of all staff I would like to thank you for your nice words of recognition for our work.
We look forward to welcoming you soon back at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata.
Kind Regards
The Managment
Tega Cay, South Carolina
Reviewed 5 May 2014

If you care about laying around on the beach, swimming in the pool, eating a buffet for most of your dinners and drinking very bad liquor, then this is the place for you. If not, look else where. This is a 2 star resort, possibly a 3 on it's very best day.

Bands:
First of all, there are the bands that you were that represent your value at the resort. Most people get a blue, tan or red band depending on who you booked your trip with. The gold bands are people who bought a membership into the resort and the black bands(best) are for shareholders. The gold and black are for people who spent an insane amount of money to have the privilege to have access to everything the resort has to offer. The best of the best. The rest of us wearing the blue, tan or red bands will have very little access to everything at the resort. You may have or will read that you will be VIP and have special access to extras. Well everyone gets that access no matter who you booked with. If you are wearing any band that is not gold or black, you are not VIP. Let me say that again, YOU ARE NOT VIP unless you have on a gold or black band.

(*Important* Cofresi Palms is next door and a short walk. Use their amenities as much as possible. We spent 90% of our time over there. Everything is much nicer and more up to date).

Unless you are a member or shareholder, you are limited to the beach, swimming pools, certain restaurants, spa and a dance club. Anything that sounds really fun, you will not have access to. There are many restaurants that are only available to members which includes the sports bar. There is a VIP world with everything a normal person would want to do, but it is off limits.

VIP beach:
There are 3 VIP beaches. 2 are for the members and the other is for the "little people". I will not be able to comment on the other 2 beaches since I wasn't allowed in, but they are a lot smaller. The VIP beach was very long, clean and well kept. There are numerous covered and uncovered beds as well as 2 bars. Supposedly, they have premium liquor, but what a normal person would consider premium and what they consider premium are 2 different things. We most stayed near the 2nd bar (furthest from the entrance) because of Nalley. She was great and took good care of our group. If you show up just before 8am, you wont have a problem getting a covered bed and they become available throughout the day. You can also get decent food on the beach. There are wait staff that will bring you what you need. You can also leave the VIP area and get out to the beach and ocean.

Room:
They are old and out dated. There are 6 buildings and originally my wife and I were in building 1 along with another couple that went with us. 2 other couples in our group were in building 4. All but 1 couple moved rooms because of unsatisfactory conditions. Bugs, broken equipment, unable to lock a window or door were the causes. The bathroom window is faces the hallway where people walk. These are only frost slated glass windows. We found that most of them did not lock and anyone and I mean anyone walking by can hear everything you are doing in the bathroom and could open the window from the outside if they wanted to. I was moved to building 6 and another couple to building 5. These buildings are newer and do not have a window on the bathroom and the bathroom is over double in size. I would recommend buildings 5 and 6 so request them. They are also the furthest away from the noise. Oh by the way, if you like TV, all you will get are pretty much Spanish speaking channels. We only used the TV at night while we were getting ready for bed so it wasn't that big of a deal.

Food and restaurants:
They will assign you 2 reservations when you arrive. Probably the Dominican and Italian restaurants. Those were decent and had fun. They say you can get reservations at guest services at 8am. Well show up at 8am and guest services will tell you that you need to come back between 2-3pm. We were not able to get reservations for anything the entire week other than what they booked for us. We did get into the Chinese restaurant only because we went there and begged them to let us in since it was our last night. We saw people wearing the black bands being turned away from restaurants so if you think you can eat where you want, think again. You will mostly be eating at the buffet. The Pearl at Cofresi Palms is the best. Go there.

The "Sharks":
These guys are the ones that will circle around the buffets during breakfast and lunch to give you your "welcome packet". Unless you are interest in becoming a member or want to waste 3 hours of your day, I would recommend that you avoid them at all costs. Do not stop and engage them in conversation. Just keep walking and politely say you are not interested. They will try to engage you at any chance they can get.

Sunday and Thursday parties:
The Sunday party was supposed to be great and many people told us that it would be, but it was cancelled due to weather. I recommend you go since you will have good alcohol and food. The Thursday party with in the coliseum at the VIP world. That is a fun show/dance party with better alcohol.

Tipping:
Overall the staff is nice and helpful so tip as much as you can. $1 here goes a long way for someone. Tip $5 on the beach or bar and you are set. Also leave a note with what you want and tip the one that services your room and you will get extra beverages.

Water:
Don't drink it. Just use bottled water or the water they server you at the restaurants. You will have bottled water in your room.

Alcohol:
They serve Royal brand liquor and El Presidente beer. The beer is fine, but the liquor is horrible. Get a few in you to help with that.

That is pretty much it and I hope this helps. I will say that we will not be attending any Lifestyle resort again. They limited you too much and they are annoying with trying to get you to buy into the membership.

Room Tip: Choose buildings 5 or 6
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
15 Thank Brad A
The Management T, Manager at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
First of all thank you for having chosen The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata as your holiday destination.
We want you to know, that your opinion is very important and valuable to us. For this reason, your comments are taken with special consideration as they help us identifying our improvement areas. We would like to apologize for any inconveniences that you may have experienced.
We appreciate that they took the time to give us your feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
With best regards
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

My friends and I love this resort because there is always something new to discover and we love coming back. We stayed in the crown suites this time from a deal through Groupon and we were VIP and it was so amazing. We were taken care of and the restaurants were so good. We loved Frank and Olivier from crown suites they were so nice and accommodating to us each day. We love Jose and Javier from Casa Blanca. The entertainment staff works so hard there and we have bonded with them: john cena, puchi, Tairis, Lenny kravitz, mosquito, lil bow wow, Caramelo. We will definitely be back :) <3

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Alee0033
Thank you for having chosen The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort Puerto Plata already for the 4th time and for sharing your experience with us through this website.
It is a pleasure to read, that you again had a wonderful vacation in our resort.
We are also very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities and I know that my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs.
Kind Regards