“what an amazing stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
gatineau
“what an amazing stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2009

i really really loved this resort, and no i was not a VIP, our room was always cleaned, sheets were always changed and we always had drinks and extra towels in our room all the time. the food i cant complaine there because not everyone will cook the same ways you do to me the food was good. i loved the hotel and all the staff they were always very greetful and all which made u seem more at home, i found that the location was excellent because we were 2 minutes away from the ocean and we had a verairty of pools to go. now the day and night shows that were put on by the staff was great they always new how to make you laugh and all, esp. spaugetti, ariel aka willy wonka (oh my god) which is his famous saying, manny, super joe, shakalaca, chicky sexy and all the dancers. i was never bothered by the vip staff only them saying hello, and i will be going back since i loved it so much. and i cant forget the bartenders who were amazing and amaking awsome drinks and all esp. my fav banana mamma the resort is also good to bring children the staff keeps them very entertained.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,010)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2009

Excellent place from check-in to check-out. Beaches are great, pool is outstanding, food great, service excellent, facilities great

Winnipeg
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2009

Our travel agent didn't tell us anything about this VIP before we got here, when you get to the hotel you notice it as soon as you get settled into your room. You can't even order whiskey, malibu or vodka if your not VIP. Bars weren't 24 hours, Our safe was broken I complained 6 times in 2 days when we left it still wasn't fixed, NEVER got water couldn't go to the a la cartes always reserved for VIPs.
The best part was when they overbooked the hotel they were trying to send us to another hotel not resort but a 2 star hotel!!!!
VIP reps literally stock the front door of the main buffet to get you to go to the timeshare info sessions to get you to spend between $5800-100000 for the year in membership fees.
This hotel is a joke. The entertainment staff Manny, Willy were awesome did what they could with what they had.
Please if you want to have a good time on your hard earned money don't go here it was bad enough we had to experience it, wouldn't want this to happen to anyone else.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Westhampton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2009

I found that the focus was on the VIP members of this resort. The food was average, with some resturants being borderline poor. I think the value was overpriced. The room furniture was uncomfortable with some needing replacing. The resorts helicopter was constantly overflying the units, at what I as a pilot, feel is an unsafe altitude over a congested area giving you a feeling of concern and aggravation. The staff was very pleasant and accomodating.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2009

I just returned from spending 4 nights at this resort with my entire family (11 of us). We were looking for a beach vacation to relax. Upon arrival we found that the suites were overbooked and people were forced to share 2 bedroom suites (can u imagine?). We were lucky in that we were not bumped. Our 2 bedroom suite left much to be desired starting with hot water. The shower only had 2-3 minutes of hot water before it ran out. The beds were like sleeping on brick and the living room area was terribly small and uncomfortable. in additoion, if we wanted to use the room safe we needed to pay $12 but our lock was totaly busted so we saved that $12. We were not time share members so to say that we were treated like second class citizens would be putting it mildly. Everything at the resort is determinded by the color bracelet you are wearing right down to the house wine you are served. The house wine we were served was undrinkable but that was perfectly paired with the food at this resort. We found the found inedible at EVERY meal, it was shocking! I suggest sticking to pasta and pizza. As a non time share member it took 1 1/2 hours to make a reservation at a restaurant and they would only give us 6:30pm reservations because our party was so large. When we got to the restaurants we found that they take your order and serve by the color of your braclete so VIP's get served first. We ended up waiting 2 hours for our food at both a la carte dinners while the restaurants were half full and they made us come at 6:30 or threatened to give our table away. As for the beach, the first day we went down to the beach around 10:30 and we were able to find 1 beach chair (for 11 of us) and NOT 1 towel. After about 2 hours they brought us some towels. The beach was the 1 thing we counted on salvaging this trip but found the beach very small and slanted while the water was murky and full of rocks and seaweed. The lounge chairs they offer are terribly uncomfortable (at first I thought i got a defective one). Quite honestly i could go on and on but think my point has been made. I recommend going someplace else!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank olive01
ONTARIO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2009

I've looked over the many negative reviews and I think collectively they sum up the typical experience a regular traveller will run into:
It is a Timeshare servicing resort. Your put second as often as possible. I know this sounds silly but it will disturb you when you try to book a decent dinner time and they won't let you and later you see that the restaurant is left half empty in case timeshare folks drop in to eat or you pay for a local attraction and won't let you on the bus that is for golds only, or you want to go to the nice part of the beach with the private bar and the fancy outdoor beds and chairs which is exclusive to timeshare members only.

I've been to many resorts and have never witnessed this in my life. I, along with the other regular bracelet folks all kept asking...why even offer packages for us if you don't want to provide the utmost in service? The answer is... it's designed completely to entice you into buying the timeshare packages they offer. Just look at the service the gold members get! Wow!

Well it didn't work for any of the folks I talked to. In fact, most couldn't wait to get home to write Trip Advisor or tell off their travel
agent for not warning them. I have writen my Signature Vacations contact. They were thankful for my feedback and will take it up in their next meeting. The last thing any agency wants is to have a hotel like this on their list. Not good for business.

Had the hotel not treated their one time visitors as second class, it was a beautiful resort, the food good for the most part ( except for the seafood night...most got food poisoning ), and the staff was very friendly. The entertainment group was young and not very creative like I have witnessed at other resorts. Lastly, if your leaving your room at 1pm and your not leaving the resort until late, don't count on the courtesy shower rooms. A whole group of us were told to sit in the lobby from 3pm and most never got a chance to wash. My friend and I paid a maid $5 to use a room that was under construction. Lucky it was there for us to wash up and change.

It's a shame because if the resort treated us like timeshare members they would have the makings of a 5 star resort. Maybe it was at one time? Folks, heed the warnings your reading here today and stay away unless your packing $25 000 or more to buy into the "lifestyle" experience.

Brad from Canada.

• Liked — Bed was comfortable
  • Disliked — The smell of the rooms were like sewage backup ( not just my room )
      Check-in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank OntarioSunlover66
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2009

I read some of these reviews after we already booked here, so I was a little nervous. DON'T WORRY! This resort is beautiful, and huge! The rain in Feb. was a fluke... it happens. I was there, and there were plenty of places to go. Not only that, but your rooms, and especially if you have a villa, are so awesome you could spend days in there and still have a great time. We had a Crown Royal Villa with 3 bedrooms and 3 baths. They came every morning and made us breakfast, booked our dinner at one of many resort restaurants, stocked our refirgerator, and our bar. The maid cleaned every day, and the pool boy cleaned the pool twice a day. The service was outstanding. There is something to the V.I.P. here, so let me help...

BOOK YOUR ROOM THROUGH AN OWNER! That will get you VIP Service, better pricing, better meals, better in-room bar, and lower all-inclusive rates. If you want to take advantage of that, just email me (Penny) at nanakins@comcast.net I can help!!!!

RESERVE YOUR DINNER! Dinner reservations begin at 9:00 a.m.. Call at 9:00 a.m. sharp and don't hang up, just let it ring (they are taking reservations on 4 lines)... someone will answer and you are done. Don't call at 10 a.m.- they make all the reservations between 9:00 and 9:15 a.m. If someone could't get in somewhere, they didn't call in the morning. I never saw a restaurant without a table available the entire time I was there, and I was there at the same time as the one above on her honeymoon.

ROOM BAR & FRIG: Here's the deal, you order your things for the refrigerator and your bar the day before. They stock your FRIG beginning at 11 A.M. If you want more water, pop, beer, ice, etc., tell them then what you want for the next day, or call customer service and tell them. They stock your BAR beginning at 4 P.M., same routine.

GETTING AROUND: This is a very big resort. Even after a week, you might still be wondering which way to go. The SHUTTLE SERVICE is at your disposal. Just call for a shuttle, and they will take you anywhere you want to go. They arrive about 10 minutes after you call. NOTE: Dinner at the restaurants are 6:30 and 8:30 P.M., those are the bust times for the shuttles, so call a little early for dinner- 15 minutes early is more than enough.

BEACH: The beach was beautiful, and groomed. You can walk from the resort for a mile on nice sand. There is a section in front of one restaurant (not part of the resort) that doesn't clean up the beach. It's maybe 50 feet long, but the things that washed up are up by their deck-you don't have to walk through debris. You just wonder why they don't take care of it.

STAFF: Some of the best I have seen. Sincere, warm, and VERY FRIENDLY! This is a well-managed resort. I never once saw anything remotely close to improper. Perhaps someone mistook friendliness for something else.

RCI: If you make an exchange through RCI, a gal named ANDREA will visit you every morning, and help you with everything you need. She is fantastic. She will book your dinners and anything else you need. NOTE: You will pay a lot more for your all-inclusive if you book through RCI. Again, try to find an owner. Just e-mail me at nanakins@comcast.net and I will hook you up.

CROWN VILLAS: I was worried they only had one like the picture. Don't worry, I tried to count, and lost track at 75. They really do look like the pictures, really do have gorgeous private pools, and gardens.... I could go on and on- you won't go wrong.

HELICOPTERS: There are (2) landing pads for the helicopters. One is by the VIP Beach, and one is by a villa. Again, this place is huge, and there are very few places where the noise from the 'copters would be annoying. Just mention when you book that you don't want to be near them.

QUESTIONS: I will be happy to answer any questions you have about this resort. Just email me and I will respond ASAP.

1 Thank penpenUsa