“"run forest run" cancel now if you have booked!!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort

The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
USA
“"run forest run" cancel now if you have booked!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2009

if you are looking for a 4/5 star resort, this is not it. Food is recylced throughout he week, Multiple restaurants on site is a joke. All the food comes from one locaion on the resort. (The Buffett) You can only eat at certain ones on certain nights since they are shuffeling food from place to place. Nothing is fresh and lush as you would think. Fruit is substandard at best. Meat is who knows what it really is and fish, well you never have fish anywhere. If you are not used to good food, you may never know the difference but mcdonalds would be considered 5 stars compared to this place It is a joke. The Food buffet is unclean and would never pass inspection standards in the USA. I am surprised people are not getting sick daily with bird flu etc. birds feed off the same buffett as people, bed bugs were found in rooms, service is not even at a star 1 rating. I would never stay there again. Showers don't work, toilets don't work, airconditioners don't work.... etc. Not to mention the entire resort is a TIMESHARE and they bug the [--] out of your from the time you land until you leave. This is never mentioned on the website, and is very misleading. I will not recommend this resort to anyone. The pictures you see are only a few select places in the resort. The rest is third world standards at best. If you have booked, CANCEL NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,010)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
coventry
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2009

please see my face book page its called lifestyle dominican, please upload any pics and videos and leave a reveiw so people can see for themselfs exactly wot this place is really like
well wot can i say, this is a time share hotel, like most are in the dominican.....i stayed there from the 18th march till the 2nd april. on arrive it all looks very impressive...room was spot on, the staff are allways there to help and always smilling, and is surprizing as they only get paid 5 dollars aday.....
helicopter is a nightmare as you will see from my face book page, please take the time to read it look at the pics as they all have comments

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2009

This resort was very nice and the staff, very friendly. The food was pretty good, but not the best; however, there were many varieties of foods to choose from and I liked that very much. I very much enjoyed the VIP party. I didn't get to see but one small show on the resort but it was very entertaining. The disco was ok. You have to make your own party really, but it is that way at most resorts. I think they should stay more current with the music too. The tours offered were awesome!
All in all, I would go there again if the opportunity presents itself.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2009

The food was boarderline but other than that a wonderful time. We will definately go back

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JimiXFlorida
Cole Harbour NS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2009

I have to admit once reading the reviews after we booked we were a nervous about what to expect. Maybe we expected the worst I donlt know, but we had a great vacation and we would go back in a heartbeat....if you booked here....I would rocommend.
My wife and I (early 30's) and my 7 yr old daughter were welcomed with open arms. This was our fourth trip to the carribian but first with our daughter. The pool staff and pool bartender really made our vacation even more memorable. Thay all seemed to pay extra attention to our 7 yr old daughter....special thanks to Manny, Tiger, Winston, Willy Wonka, Chucka Locka, and of course the best bartender ever Happy Happy. They work so hard all day, then perform all evening at the show. I suggest giving them a tip at the end of the trip....they don't expect it but are very thankful for it.
We did the Outbck Safari tour with Kenny as our guide...had a great time, learned alot about the country, visited a typical Dominican home, public school, fruit plantation, beach, etc....all day tour. It was a great experience especially for my 7yr old girl...she will never forget this trip.
As for VIP....I was actually very surprised how "little" I was approached. Only one morning I was at breakfast around 7:30 alone...one of the workers passed me a card and asked if I would like a tour of the resprt and would like info regarding time shares to meet in the lobby at 9am. I said ok thanks knowing I was leaving the resort for the day. The next morning the same guy asked why I did not attend ( they have a good memory), I explained that we left the resort for the day,. he asked for us to attend that day because he gets commission ( I heard 20 bucks) for anyone that attends...I said "Amigo, I am not interested in VIP or time shares, besides I don't have a credit card"....I was told if you tell them you don't have a credit card they won't bother you anymore. I wasn't bothered anymore...or someone siad they gave him 20 bucks to ensure nobody asks him anymore...really all you have to do is say no.
The food was pretty good....we always found something. People - you are in a 3rd World Country....you can't expect MacDonalds or Subway. Most days we wen't to Blue Lagon Resturaunt for Chicken Wings and french fries for lunch!
Got to check out Ocean World...only a 5min shuttle from the resort....almost like a Sea World in Disney!!
Overall great trip and we were sad to leave....glad we didn't listen to all the negative reviews....make your own opinion!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank HabsCup2009
Shelburne, Nova Scotia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2009

I just returned from a great Holiday thanks to the wonderful staff at Lifestyles! Where do I begin, we arrived around 11:00 pm at night on March 24 th. There were around 25 people on our bus and the check-in was really fast and within 5 minutes we were being excorted to our rooms. The buffet was always good and had a great variety, I like the theme nights they had. We only went to the Italian buffet but it was a nice treat to be served by waiters. We did not find any problems as many had reported being second class if you are not VIP. We were treated great by all of the workers, and my group did not tip so that did not make a difference. Pedro the pool bartender was our favourite always had a smile on his face, I'll never forget his "Happy, Happy!" We went on the Safari Jeep excursion, and had a great day, if you go I hope you get Jesse and Scooby as tour guide and driver they were excellent! I would highly recommend this tour it was $79.00 US per person and worth every penny. Beach was nice but for swimming stay to the right of the beach, less coral and rocks. One morning our shower broke and we reported it in the morning and by the time we went back to our roomin the afternoon, they had installed a new shower head, now thats what I call service. Overall I just want to tell everyone please go with an open mind and you will not be dissapointed!

3 Thank ShelbSunseeker
Halifax Nova Scotia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2009

I went down from March 17th to 24th with my Girlfriend, we are both in our mid 20's.

This resort is excellent with a perfect layout.

Rooms

Rooms are clean as a whistle, bedding/towels ect changed every day, floor moped, you name it. Fridges restocked with sealed bottled water. Ice cold AC, comfy beds, nice balcony.

Restaurants/Buffet

We had no problems making a reservation, just show up at 12:45 the day before and you will get one no problem. The Buffet has good food with a different theme every night so you won't get sick of the food, if you don't like the theme they also have other things you can eat. There is no shortage of fresh fruit.

The Beach/Pool

The pool is nice and separated into sections, it is clean and did not bother my eyes one bit. The swim up bar is really neat. There are lounge/beach chairs everywhere. The dreaded helicopter that everybody posts about is not bad at all, yes it flies over the pool area but it literally takes it 15 seconds to fly over, land and power down, same thing for take off. It did not bother us one bit. The beach is clean and actually fairly big. There is a cleaning crew there every morning picking up and cups/garbage that retards threw on the sand and raking up anything the tide may have brought in. The water is warm and has decent size waves which I really enjoy. A few parts in the water depending on where you are on the beach is a bit rocky.

The bars

The bars are nice and stocked with local brands. Hint, do what I do and tip your bartender, on day one he would give us drinks in a small plastic cup with local brands. By then end of day 2 and throughout the rest of our 7 day stay we got served very fast, and where drinking pina colada out of coconuts/cantaloupes/hollowed out passion fruit and large fancy glasses, made by expensive brands which they keep hidden from view under the bars. For a couple bucks a day its more than worth it. The Local beer is good and comparable to any popular beer you can get in Canada.

The Vip Sales people / Venders

On our second day there we where approached by a VIP salesman, he gave us his card and said if we where interested to meet him by the buffet at 11Am. We did not meet him, and we where not asked again for the remainder of our stay. End of story. There are a few shops set up along the beach, they do not bother you to buy stuff, we went into a few, he showed us what he had and we left. Occasionally they will come and set up shop around the buffet area at night, but again nothing to serious, occasionally they will try to show you something, just say no and they leave you alone. If you are going to buy something do not pay the asking price, I bought a wooden mask, I asked him how much he said $45 US, I put it down, he said 25 and he would throw in a second mask, long story short I payed $6US for the mask I wanted.

Entertainment/Activities

The entertainers where great and we became friends with them very fast. they all speak English very well. There are tons of activities going on all the time at the beach and at around the pool area, a few include, dancing, water aerobics, volleyball, drinking games, lets just say if you are social you will have a blast. There are plenty of shows going on later in the night at the Disco that are entertaining to watch.

Off the Resort

There are plenty of things to do off the resort, Ocean world which is a MUST is only 10 min walk along the beach. There is also horseback riding, safari, tours, all close to the resort, and don't worry about finding your own way, they shuttle you for free everywhere to and from and you are kept well informed so you don't have to feel nervous about what is or is not going on.

Conclusion

If you are social/outgoing and adventurous this is the place to be. Little things will happen that don't go your way or you will not be up to par in your opinion but don't let it ruin the moment.

Seriously I read so many bad reviews about this place on here i was scared to go but I am so glad I did. Feel free to contact me if you are planning on going and have any questions about the resort.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank sjcon