The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Be Live Collection Marien(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$160
Be Live Hotels
  • Breakfast included
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$156
US$157
Iberostar.com
  • Breakfast included
Sunscape Puerto Plata Dominican Republic(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$180
US$159
US$287
US$277
Hotwire.com
Great 4.5/5
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$303
US$244
  • Breakfast included
Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$203
US$130
  • Pool
US$158
US$128
  • Breakfast included
Blue JackTar(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$154
US$149
Great 4.5/5
ClubHotel Riu Merengue(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$112
TripAdvisor
4,986 results
All reviewsvip beachjulio the rockgeorge of the jungleblue lagoonwelcome partyocean worldsushi barcasa blancasalamicasablanca buffetwater aerobicsdominican republicbeach bedsvip partyserenity beachthese guyshorseback riding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 December 2009

Other reviews had us worried about Lifestyles. However, everything worked out well.

Wanting to confirm rather that repeat other reviews, the accommodations were fine. The AC pumped out on demand, the bed was comfortable, although the furniture a little worn. The shower design was incorrectly engineered so the water didn't properly flow out. It took a push with your foot to get the proper flow. The food was what we'd call "reasonable", some no, some OK and some better - with a few flashes of really good. The themed dinners at the buffet were done well and particularly the Italian dinner was better than the specialty restaurant Bellini. The pools were very well maintained and there were many more lounge chairs than patrons. The swim up bar is a hoot. The grounds were especially well done and interesting. The staff was excellent, which helped make the stay as enjoyable as it was - except of course for the timeshare guys (and we say guys because they were all male). They have a job to do but they detract from the overall atmosphere. We would laugh and tell them "been there, done that" and they'd leave us alone - but it would be much better without them.

Since we booked through Cheap Caribbean, yes we were VIP. The beach was great as was the staff, especially Hector and Ezequiel who worked hard always maintaining a sense of humor. The Sunday welcome dinner was done beautifully (a lot of work each week) and the Thursday show at Ocean World quite entertaining.

Come to relax and enjoy. Just don't drink the water!

Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kbrew
Reviewed 17 December 2009

We went to Lifestyles, after booking with Sun Village, to find out it was closed down,
We travel to the DR quite frequently, and have tried several different resorts.
I must say, that at first impression, I wasn't impressed by this place the lobby. wasn't so nice, believe first impessions set the mood. But during our stay I relized the old saying of "don't judge a book by it's cover" stands true,
The rooms are nice, but not as fancy as other resorts, but, I decided not to let this be an issue, don't get me wrong the rooms are nice and kept very clean, just not as fancy as other places I've been, The first resort I ever went to was the Colonial Mejestic, in Punta Cana, cost alot more, but was beautiful. Still, after spending 10 days at lifestyles, I have to say the Mejestic, doesn't hold a candle when it comes to fun and activity.
Lifestyles, has a beautiful VIP beach which you really don't have to be a VIP to go to, with beautiful king size beds with canopies. and curtians you can close if you just don't want to be bothered and take a snooze. At the VIP beach you never have to leave during the day to eat or drink, in fact you don't have to even get out of the jacuzzi (which there are about 7 big jacuzzi's there on the beach) to eat or drink, the wonderful staff there will bring it to you including the menu's! What wonderful service. of course you have to tip. but you can tip a $1.00 or give them $10.00 for the day,and they're keep coming back for the whole day without further tipping.
Of course you should tip, these people work for peanuts. All the staff at the place are very nice.
Now the time share people do becoming trying at best, but after a few days of saying no thank you, they stop bothering you.
The main resturant had theme night each nite and sometimes I didn't like it, the food isn't the best, but if you can't find something to eat then there's something wrong with you.
We went tothe Sunday night welcome party and it was fabulous, do not miss this if you go.
Tuesday night there's a pool side barbeque, and barbeque isn't the word for it, it was fantastic, with live intertainment on the pool, beautiful!
Thursday night you have the ocean world party, which is alot of fun, music, and dancing if you want, then you can enjoy the casino, of there's a dance club at the top of the building. Just going and seeing this place is worth it. We did go to Ocean Wold itself, but weren't very impressed, for $52 each, but we are use to sea world, and Disney world.
But it was nice, but don't expect Sea World.
We rented a cab with another couple we met who are VIP members and have Villa there, now these Vila's are beautiful, and have a maid come in every day and make breakfast, we went with this couple to Pureto Plata and saona for the day, total cost of the cab split by 4 was $70.00 can't beat that, and Bestista, our cab driver was the best, we even got to see where he lived and met his son, and some other family members.
The Ahora resturant is within walking distance down the beach a fun place, and bar, You rent a cab for $6.00 to go to the Casino, which is only about 10 min. away, or visit Cris and Matty's resturant and walk over to the Ahora Resturant and Bar.
Seems very safe there, Downtown Pureto Plata is nearby and a must see, go there, get out walk the cute streets and visit their stores How wonderful. We took the cable car ride to Mount Isabelle De'Torres, ( I probably spelled that wrong) but the trip up that mountian was breath taking,
Over all the first few days I was a little sick, (unusal for me) I think it was the stress of the trip. (flight was changed, ect.) and at first when I got there, I said I wasn't ever coming back to that place, again, I am use to more fancier places, but the staff won me over, and the place is beautiful. Its a great value and what you make of it is up to you. Building and grounds are beautiful and very pictureristic. Enjoy, if you don't have a good time its your fault.
Enjoy, and oh, for a person that said she won't never come back for the first 2 days there, we're going back Feb 8, 2010 for 9 more glorious day.
Smile.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wisconsinagent8
Reviewed 15 December 2009

I hesitated to write this review because I honestly think that even with all the problems, we got a great deal through CheapCarribbean. We stayed 3 nights/4 days, checking out at 4pm on the last day. We had VIP beach privileges and attended the welcoming party. We did not sign up for any of the Ocean World extras or excursions. For the two of us, we paid about $875 altogether (flights, taxis, accommodations, etc.)

Cons:
- The food. It is practically inedible. I don't understand how it's possible for someone to mess up such simple food so badly, but they did. The best meal of the day was breakfast, which was always hot & fresh. I disagree with most of the reviewers here; the buffet is much better than the food at the sit-down restaurants. Don't bother making a rez. We ate at the Italian and Asian spots. The pizza at the Italian place was laughable and uncooked. The Asian foods made me queasy even before ingesting. The "wine" that they serve at these restaurants is spiked grape juice. I don't understand who they think they're fooling. Don't eat the "sushi" at the VIP bar.
- The shows/entertainment. The staff and the dancers have a lot of heart and obvious passion. However, the show is one long pitch for Lifestyles, punctuated by young girls in thongs and flouncy skirts. If you've ever been to a major city and seen a show (ANY KIND OF PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTION), you will think this is a joke.
-The location. It's very secluded from real Dominican life. It's impossible to walk anywhere else to eat or commune with locals. This is disappointing if you have any taste for genuine cultural activities.

Pros:
- The staff. Very sweet and accomodating, even if none of them could speak fluent English.
- The VIP Beach Bar. Skip the iced drinks and go straight for the shooters.
- The VIP Beach generally was pretty awesome, though I find it terribly counterproductive to vacationing to rush out of bed in the morning to grab a daybed.
- The weather and beach. We swam at the beach every day and enjoyed it very much.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank minnymiddy
Reviewed 13 December 2009

We loved this resort. Especially for the money. Be sure to book through a vip member. We booked through this member and it went great: www.dominicanrepublicvacationresort.com.

The food is good, but not great, however all service is top notch. Do not miss the beach party. and def check out VIP beach.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2009

We are here now Dec. 12 and wanted to share some tips with others that maybe coming.

- VIP beach has free wifi so if you have an iPhone or computer you can call back to the States for cheap.
- wifi picks up best on the left side of the VIP area
- in order to get the best day beds in the VIP area you will need to get there around 8 am and put a book or mag down to save your spot.
- the food is average buy good make sure you make reservations for dinner at 1 pm for the next evening or you will be stuck at the buffet. The buffet changes themes daily but the restaurants are a little better.
- you can order drinks and food from the day beds at the VIP area. The staff us excellent so be sure to tip for good service. I tip 2-3 dollars fir getting us pillows and towels and 1 dollar for food and drinks.
- politely say no to the time share people and do not fall for the free gift trick. They only want to sell you a timeshare.

We are having a good time and much needed relaxation. I would defintley come back again. The resort is nice and the people are friendly. The service Is excellent. Happy Travels!

1  Thank underwateragain