“I agree with tainas review.. Expcept she forgot the horable time making dinner reservations”

The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
cicero ny
Reviewed 23 March 2010

When u arrive the vip tell you to make reservations for dinner 24 hrs ahead of time.. well we ended up not having reservations 3 days out of 7 and we booked the floowing day for the whole week. They say nothings opened but all places had many openings.. They just prefer u to eat at their buffett and have no other choice.. Although most got the pukes and diareaha and some now being home for 2 days still have it they dont seem to care.. Included was a gulf card which was told will be at out villa.. nope, we had to go find it ourselves.. They hound u for tips but u have to wait forever for everything.. My daughter had her 23rd bday their and had no place to eat unless we split up our family of 4 and 1 ate alone elsewhere. The villa had screans and shutters which misquittos still got in and ate husband alive.. Air is on and remains cool but in daughters room we had them fix it 3 times.. when they felt like doing it. Shower pressure bad and no hot water at times.. Just a beutiful place but bad ownership and bad service and if that place was owned by us, we would of had a free vaca after everything we went through.. believe me the list goes on !! needs more shows and recreation.The land in beautiful as well weather. but thats about it !

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank kimmersplace

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,024)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
NJ
Reviewed 23 March 2010

They have the logo Tell Only Your Best Friends written everywhere. I would only tell people I hate to come here. Thank you MARK for the incredible "HOOK UP" I wish I put this on my credit card so I could have disputed it. What a total disaster. Save your money and your sanity. I truly do not know where to begin about MY HORRIFIC EXPERIENCE.. The people are shady and you will spot it right away they annoy the hell out of you so you tip them. The Junior Suite with the ocean view (WHAT OCEAN VIEW??????) all I got is the top of the buildings and a construction site. To top it off it is one small room with a terrible shower without a door so your floor gets flooded and no water pressure. The doors to the patio are jammed shut so you can't even sit outside. You are locked in your room..... The food is something I never experienced before. They have a lot of restaurants but you can’t reserve them until the day before between 1 and 3. If you lose that window it is DOGGIE BUFFET every day. I will save you the stomach issues you will encounter.. They reserve the nicer places for the Gold Band members. I travel all over the world and this was BY FAR the worst food I ever came across. I can go on and on for pages but you get the point. If you are booked here and are not A GOLD BAND MEMBER in a real "SUITE" cancel lose your money and don't go. You will thank me. They also try to sell you the membership to join and show you the most beautiful rooms and the nicest restaurants and private golf cart and helicopter. ALL BS if you are a regular visitor like most of us. Do not fall for the VIP SCAM. You will feel like a true second class citizen and when you have to go back to your dungeon it makes it all that much worse. DO NOT COME HERE what a true disappointment and if you have any real enemies you want to really upset tell them to come here. Oh I forgot my massage nightmare at the spa but I would need a few pages for that alone.....I am getting so angry just thinking about this trip so I am stopping now. What a waste of my time and precious vacation time.....;(

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MAROV326
Burlingame
Reviewed 22 March 2010

OMG!! This place was absolutely HORRIBLE! The service was HORRIBLE! Everyone was RUDE! If you were not a VIP, you were not eligible to receive any kind of assistance. Security followed us around like we stole something the whole week. But, local men were at the bar every night trying to get into your room! The food selection was TERRIBLE! The pool was mediocre. The rooms were very plain and I had to call EVERY DAY to have maid service?? Then, she wouldn't come until after 6pm and she would not bring fresh towels!! I asked for shampoo and she gave me a HALF USED BOTTLE FROM ANOTHER ROOM! The electricity cut off EVERY DAY due to storms so we spent a lot of time just eating snacks (that we bought from the store due to the all-inclusive not being available 24 hrs a day) in our room. The worse part was that the staff felt it was ok for them to barge into your room WITHOUT KNOCKING at any time of the day or night!!!! THIS HAPPENED EVERY DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND IT RAINED EVERY DAY!!!!!! This was the ABSOLUTE WORST vacation I have ever been on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At check out, they gave everyone vouchers for a free week because it stormed every day and all the activities were cancelled. But, we didn't get one because we booked through Cheap Caribbean. Thanks. The only good thing about this trip was the snorkeling adventure at Paradise Island.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lenise75
new york
Reviewed 22 March 2010

worst vaca ever!!!!!
went with a large group out of 27 people over half got sick with extreme diarrhea and vomiting. the food was terrible with no variety on the buffet from day to day.
the room had ants everywhere we were in a villa with coackroaches all over the kitchen and to make matters worse the beach is so ugly!!! with seaweed and nasty brown sand the vip i beach was ok but the only reason it is there becuase the actual ocean front is discusting. the workers constantely want tips for everything and you cant even go to the buffet witout peple trying to sell you some dominican junk. no bathtub in the villa when my one year and 3 year old had diarrhea had to wash them down in the shower making it worse no tvs in rooms no night life either and to top it all off got 500 bucks STOLLEN out of room the mangagment did nothing to help and acted like it was our fault even sending the same maid back to us each day---- in one statement dont go there!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank tonya136
Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed 13 March 2010

First, the accommodations themselves were really good. The Presidential Suites are really nice, but a few small touches could really make them 5 star. Like an small paper with instructions how to work the TV (and a listing of channels), how to access the Murphy bed, and how to contact the front desk. The only things that went wrong is the coffee maker leaked and we couldn’t use it, both safes quit working, and the Jacuzzi in the master bedroom never had any hot water. Otherwise, the beds were comfortable, and the rest of the place was gorgeous.

We had prepaid for a golf cart, and they were out when we checked in. Come to find out later that the Presidential Suites don't come with them. The shuttle was fine and the transport to and from the airport was perfect.

I did notice that the level of customer service really drops off if you don’t attend a tour or are not an owner. We were asked 3 times to attend the presentation and I made it clear that I was there to relax, not attend any presentation or tour. They left us alone after that. I did hear other say that they were ridden pretty hard to attend a tour.

When we checked in, we were told they couldn’t move us to another suite (we had booked an ocean view and didn't get it) because they were booked up (we were right across from the bar and it was very loud at night with no view, but I had earplugs so no worries). Weird that when we talked with others around the pool, we found that they were NOT booked up. The bars and restaurants were never crowded…..I would hate to see what it was like when truly booked! Coupled with having to ask for towels 5 times the first day (over a couple hours) and 3 times to open the safe when it broke, I honestly can say that the level of customer service could use an overhaul. Maybe it is the DR way, but unless there is an emergency that is a priority, then seeing people standing around chatting when you know you have asked for help is frustrating to a paying guest.

I have to say that when I reported a fall I took off the stairs, (afterwards) they offered to call a doctor, but none was needed (thankfully-just scrapes and bruises). They really need to paint the bottom edge of the stairs red so that people will know to step down.

The pools were great! And the beds on the beach were a great touch. Totally relaxing and wonderful! Grounds were well kept and beautiful.

Some suggestions I have are:

The food was not really what I would expect in an upscale resort (except for Jazz and the VIP Gourmet, which were wonderful. Also, some dishes in the Blue Lagoon were good-specifically the linguine with shrimp). Lunch and breakfast could really use alot of work. Putting meats on ice would be a start, as well as the same with the cheese. And the welcome buffet…..was NOT good at all. Even the hamburgers were poor, and I thought the lobster would be great-it wasn’t even edible. Deserts were just gross. If they would spend some more time and money to get better quality food and drinks, perhaps people would not be complaining as much about the food (and I heard plenty). For instance, a strawberry daquiri should be made with strawberries, not strawberry flavored syrup. Little choice in premuim liqour and no choice in beer.

Luckily, the weather was terrific. No complaints there at all. I couldn’t imagine, however, how we would have done if we had been there four days earlier, when all it DID do is rain! We were promised Ocean World tickets (they were never given to us) and the free scuba lesson in the pool (couldn’t get ANY info about it, and I was really looking forward to it). I had booked an individual day sail and snorkel trip to Sousa before I got there, and that was great. The company I booked through was Viator and they are on the internet. I recommend them highly. The town itself is the typical third world town-dirty, crowded, busy and sketchy. We didn't go off the property except for the sail and snorkel tour.

All in all, you get what you pay for, but it's a damn shame that with a little more attention and effort, this resort could be a jewel.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ddsandy
NY
Reviewed 12 March 2010

Seriously, if you pay 1055 for the full week and you go to a 3 1/5 star resort, WHAT DO U EXPECT? A royal 5 star quality and service?? pay for 5 star, you'll get 5 star.

For those with realistic expectations, possitive, for those who don't complain over every little thing:
Rooms - very simple. No jacuzzies. Simple TV, bed, closets, drawers. What else is needed?
Food - food is ok, but choice is pretty poor, and if your stay is long it gets kinda old and boring. Its pretty much same thing every breakfast, lunch, dinner, with few dishes that they change here and there.
Entertainment - was fun, great stuff.
VIP beach - great place to hang in. Internet (wireless) works there, beds make it very comfy, stuff is cool, drinks are delicious.
Beach - no clear blue waters. But.....amazingly soft waves, clean, warm, great beach. I didn't go to the pool at all, beach was more then enough.

For pet lovers: resort has few great homeless dogs, that are very very sweet. Thinking of adopting one of them. really, great dogs! Be kind to them.

Time shares - if you are not interested, say so. They didn't bother me, and when they tried, I kept on walking. Do the same. Its NOT a big deal.

When you will arive they'll tell you to meet with your representative next morning. Don't waste your time. You can come up to him anytime during ur stay (before noon') they'll help you out and you won't need to listen to things they say at the first meeting that takes time and that you most likely won't need.

Trips recommended: Catamaranda boat, Paradise Island. + enjoy outside of the box, there are things to explore, beatiful are around the resort.

ps: room service = extra charge. safe use = $3 charge per day

Pix:

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank tosa83
Washington DC
Reviewed 10 March 2010

Where to begin?! I will try to make this short and sweet. Booked through Cheap Caribbean for a decent price. I guess you get what you pay for. This place (DR) and resort was horrible! The food at Lifestyles was gross and I love food! I can say the only reason I didn’t lose weight was because I was eating ONLY bread..and occasionally fruit. I mean I tried the cardboard pizza but...again tasted like well.. cardboard. The restaurants you have to make reservations from 1-3pm a day ahead and since got we got there at 5 pm we couldn’t make reservations for that night OR the next day so basically we missed two nights of potentially semi-good food.

You go on vacation to relax..get some warm weather and beautiful ocean views right?.. Well not at this resort you don’t…at this resort they bring people off the streets trying to sell everything under the sun ALL DAY and ALL NIGHT right by the buffet. So EVERYTIME you walk by you gotta tell them no….. Also on the beach it’s the same thing. There are like 5 different “stores” and people walking up and down the beach trying to get you to come “look” saying “its free to look” blah blah. Also, Don’t be fooled by the pictures you see of the water/white sandy beaches beause this is NOT the case. This is not Caribbean water its North Atlantic water so it is NOT so blue and crystal clear. I was there from Wed at 5pm til Monday-130pm It rained CONSTANTLY from Wed night till Sunday. And I mean didn’t stop.. it slowed down for maybe an hour or two. Yet this is abnormal for this time of the year it made my trip just that much more worse. I got to see sunshine for about 2 hours on Monday just in time to head to the airport. The one good thing about the 5 days of rain was when we did the buggy car excursion on Sunday there were huggggge puddles which did make it fun.

The grounds of the resorts were actually not too bad. Just don’t ask for a towel.. they take your room number and who knows what happens if you don’t bring it back. Keep in mind in the DR they are allowed a shotgun but ONLY 2 cartridges. Yikes! Ok so when you book with Cheap Caribbean you get this V.I.P beach access. Don’t be fooled it seems anyone can really go there. At the V.I.P beach bar I had ordered some French fries and a turkey sandwich..which was ok it you like soggy bread. Anyway. It came with 1 packet of Ketchup. 1?!! SO I asked for another one and he actually said no we don’t have it here its in the restaurant where the food came from. … okkkkk well can you get me some?! I mean come on this is supposed to be the V.I.P Beach bar right?! So I had dry French fries instead haha

All in all I have never been more happy to be back from a vacation and in the USA! We actually tried to come back early. If it wouldn’t have been more then the trip we would have been back way sooner! Just make sure you are in good company like I was. That’s the only way to make it through. I wouldn’t even go back if I won a FREE trip. Going there makes you appreciate what you have for sure. Its a very poor country.

5 Thank CarrieRobinette