“Sunshine, great food , gorgeous villa and exceptional service!”

The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #11 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 6 April 2010

We traveled to Lifestyles at the suggestion of a friend who is an "owner" at Lifestyle Crown VIllas. Our stay was in a 3 bedroom villa (47B) which was clean, nicely layed out, had beautiful island furnishings and a private pool in our backyard, which was a wonderful treat in the late evenings after the resorts pools closed. The food at the buffet was OK BUT, prepare ahead and reserve your nights in the other restaurants!! Azul and Jazz are for owners only however, non-owners can reserve in the Chinese, Mexican, Italian & VIP a la carte places & the food was delicious. There are private beaches and clubs for owners only BUT, there were VIP areas where blue bracelets were allowed. Ocean World is a great day trip and enjoyed by all. If staying in a villa, you will have breakfast cooked for you each morning which is a nice treat and very relaxing :) We did see the insides of several other accomadations & they were are very nicely decorated and up to date; the presidential suites were beautiful. There is a spa located by the PS area and its a nice quiet retreat with a lovely pool and hot tub..prices are reasonable as well! In the end, we chose to become a VIP villa owner as well & are looking forward to many , many return trips to Lifestyle Crown VIllas!

4  Thank pardo566
Write a ReviewReviews (4,876)

Reviewed 31 March 2010

We have done many cruises and one other all inclusive resort, and had a wonderful time at Lifestyle Tropical Beach. The facilities were immaculate, with a fresh coat of paint on everything. We always found something we liked at the buffet, which was well stocked with a variety of different foods. The staff was very courteous and did whatever they could to make our stay enjoyable. From reading past negative reviews, we wonder what some of these people were expecting. If you treat people with respect, you almost always get it back. If you're a condescending, demanding creep, it's likely you'll be treated that way. Some people complained about no doors on the shower...HELLO! try aiming the shower head down towards the floor and it won't spray out of the shower area. The timeshare vultures were the only negative we have about this place. They circle the buffet area and hotel buildings every morning looking for newcomers to pressure into buying into a timeshare. One of our most vocal travelers told them right at the start that we were not interested, and they left us alone the rest of our stay.

We booked through Cheap Caribbean and they handled everything from start to finish. The VIP upgrade included with our package was awesome! The VIP area was pristine, beautiful and the staff there waited on our every need. Kudos to Raul, the bartender!

The restaurant reservation system was a joke. They told us we had to reserve our restaurant between 1 and 3 each day for the next day, but only a couple of restaurants were available. One day, when we wanted reservations for our entire group (10 people), the concierge told us that we could not do that - we had to do that before 1:00. I guess those rules change based on the circumstances. We did manage to eat at the Bellini (great), the mexican (so-so) and the asian (okay) restaurants. The Blue Lagoon was never available to us.

Everyone in our group had a wonderful time, and considered Lifestyle Tropical to be a step above the all-inclusive resort we visited in Mexico. We will definitely come back to Lifestyle Tropical Beach & Spa Resort, and will bring more friends.

7  Thank Lifesabeach61
Reviewed 29 March 2010

OK, so to everyone who's already booked and is now freaking out by all the negative comments....do not dispare I was in your shoes 10 days ago. Do not freak out and cancel your vacation...you are a smart traveler, you know that for $40/day all inclusive you're not going to get the best wine, best food, or the most fancy room...you do get what you pay for here.

I booked via a VIP member so I did have access to the VIP beach and the VIP pool and all the VIP bars which made it nice (the Sports Bar has Budweiser incase you get sick of Presediente) To everyone who complaned about the "gross beach" they can't fault the resort for that. It's simply a geographical issue...Puerta Plata gets more Atlantic water than other places in the Carribean so if you're expecting white sand beaches and crystal blue water don't come here.

The food was just OK, but again, what'd you expect for $40/day??? The buffet did get tired but that's why there are other restaurants to check out during the day. Just a warning, bring immodium.

I wasn't harassed once about a timeshare and as far as the local craft folks, it's almost like they had an invisible fence around them because unless you walked right by them they didn't bother you. I just would walk through the buffet area to avoid them. Do the same, you're not missing much.

Would I go back, yeah, but I think there are other places I'd like to go to before I go back.

Just remember....you're not booked at a JW Marriott and you'll be fine.

7  Thank WorldGlobalNet1969
Reviewed 26 March 2010

Our group was very nervous before arriving here, due to the "BAD" reviews. We booked though cheap caribbean and their service was great. Our group had a great time, hot and sunny weather, food was good, VIP beach and bar was great! VIP is the way to go.

Tipping, not necessary, BUT these people work very hard and recieve very little pay, a small tip is appreciated. Saying that, Towels were never a problem, the refrigerator was filled daily, and food and bar service delivered to the spas on the VIP Beach was excellent.

Cellphones - we could receive in coming calls and texting worked both ways. However, the lobby has phones and is only $1.00 per minute.

Resturant Reservations -- Had to make these one day in advance between 1 -3 PM Very limited selection, if any, and 8:30 was the only time available. The resturant meals were very good. But not worth the aggravation of getting a reservation! I would skip this next time.

Parties- Sunday and Thursday Welcoming Parties -- Do not Miss! The food and beverages were great.

Wonderful time and are planning on returning!

6  Thank beavesgroup
Reviewed 25 March 2010

We used CheapCarribean for booking and I cannot say enough how good there service is. I would definitly use them again. our vacation started off very poorly as we were delayed in Newark by Continental who I will never fly with them again. They kept us waiting all day by delaying our flight multiple times using different excuses. Ww were all very frustrated by the end of the day and then they cancelled at 5 pm. Now everyone was scrambling to find alterative flights. We were lucky as we obtained seats for the next day but then they made us wait in line for 4 hours just to get hotel vouchers for the night. Continental just has terrible customer service. We finally arrived Monday night losing 24 hours at the resort but Cheapcarribean came through and was able to get us an additional day at the resort. As for the resort, rooms and grounds were very clean. Lots of hot water and no problems getting towels. Beds were very comfortable and rooms were well air conditioned. Staff were very friendly, helpful and most spoke english. The pools were nice and the VIP beach was just excellent. We spent the majority of our time there. Drinks were somewhat watered down but ok. We did not like the fact they had only one beer offering which is there local beer. We got tired of that very quick and the fruity drinks only go so far. We are wine drinkers and forget the wine as it was just terrible. The down side of this resort is it lies on the North coast/Atlantic so the water is not as nice as the Carribean and was not that warm. Also while we were there we only had 1 day of full sun. The rest were cloudy and it rained one day. The food was for the most part not good. We had 4 restaurants to choose from, Italian, Mexica, Seafood and Oriental for the evening meals and you had to make reservations each day you wanted to go and it had to be at 1 pm in the lobby. The food there was just average with the Italian the absolute worst and the Oriental the best. The main dining room where you get most of your meals was average. The resort does try and get you to buy into there timeshares but if you say no they do leave you alone. One downside was no cell service and if you wanted the internet it was very expensive as were any phone calls. Overall this was just an average place, glad we experienced it but would not return.

3  Thank alljp
Reviewed 23 March 2010

When u arrive the vip tell you to make reservations for dinner 24 hrs ahead of time.. well we ended up not having reservations 3 days out of 7 and we booked the floowing day for the whole week. They say nothings opened but all places had many openings.. They just prefer u to eat at their buffett and have no other choice.. Although most got the pukes and diareaha and some now being home for 2 days still have it they dont seem to care.. Included was a gulf card which was told will be at out villa.. nope, we had to go find it ourselves.. They hound u for tips but u have to wait forever for everything.. My daughter had her 23rd bday their and had no place to eat unless we split up our family of 4 and 1 ate alone elsewhere. The villa had screans and shutters which misquittos still got in and ate husband alive.. Air is on and remains cool but in daughters room we had them fix it 3 times.. when they felt like doing it. Shower pressure bad and no hot water at times.. Just a beutiful place but bad ownership and bad service and if that place was owned by us, we would of had a free vaca after everything we went through.. believe me the list goes on !! needs more shows and recreation.The land in beautiful as well weather. but thats about it !

4  Thank kimmersplace
Reviewed 23 March 2010

They have the logo Tell Only Your Best Friends written everywhere. I would only tell people I hate to come here. Thank you MARK for the incredible "HOOK UP" I wish I put this on my credit card so I could have disputed it. What a total disaster. Save your money and your sanity. I truly do not know where to begin about MY HORRIFIC EXPERIENCE.. The people are shady and you will spot it right away they annoy the hell out of you so you tip them. The Junior Suite with the ocean view (WHAT OCEAN VIEW??????) all I got is the top of the buildings and a construction site. To top it off it is one small room with a terrible shower without a door so your floor gets flooded and no water pressure. The doors to the patio are jammed shut so you can't even sit outside. You are locked in your room..... The food is something I never experienced before. They have a lot of restaurants but you can’t reserve them until the day before between 1 and 3. If you lose that window it is DOGGIE BUFFET every day. I will save you the stomach issues you will encounter.. They reserve the nicer places for the Gold Band members. I travel all over the world and this was BY FAR the worst food I ever came across. I can go on and on for pages but you get the point. If you are booked here and are not A GOLD BAND MEMBER in a real "SUITE" cancel lose your money and don't go. You will thank me. They also try to sell you the membership to join and show you the most beautiful rooms and the nicest restaurants and private golf cart and helicopter. ALL BS if you are a regular visitor like most of us. Do not fall for the VIP SCAM. You will feel like a true second class citizen and when you have to go back to your dungeon it makes it all that much worse. DO NOT COME HERE what a true disappointment and if you have any real enemies you want to really upset tell them to come here. Oh I forgot my massage nightmare at the spa but I would need a few pages for that alone.....I am getting so angry just thinking about this trip so I am stopping now. What a waste of my time and precious vacation time.....;(

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple