“LOCALS INVADE RESORT” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Lyman, South Carolina
“LOCALS INVADE RESORT”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2010

WOW What a DISAPPOINTMENT! Traveled here this past week 6/27 - 7/4 ROOM # 6319. After reading the comments on CHEAPCARIBBEAN.COM. We know now that the leave out all the true comments. We were CELEBRATING our 17TH wedding anniversary. Upon arrival we chose a room close to the beach. The room was just fine. Our house keeper, AUGUSTO OZORIA, was very particular about his service. You can tell that he took pride in the job he did. Our Concierge, LUCIA SILVETIO also went the extra step, along with AUGUSTO to surprise us on our anniversary day, with fresh cut flowers arranged in a heart shape on our bed, Champagne and a wonderful cake We had only two servers during a weeks stay that are worth praising, GABRIELLE AND GERARLYN DOMENECHE. Both of which should receive recognition for service beyond the quality of this resort. We are owners of a restaurant and these kids were terrific!! That's where the praise stops.On our second evening we had reservations for the mexican Restaurant. at 8:30 WE WE'RE SEATED AT 10:00. The Manager "PEDRO" tries to tell my husband that the person making the reservation (LUCIA) didn't speak English. My husband speaks 5 languages and 8:30 IS 8:30...dinner was horrible, TACO BELL would get a better rating. During our second course PEDRO THE MANAGER told us that we had to move to another table. We were already sitting in a breeze way in the rain and didn't complain. THEN I LOST IT, Telling him NO. We are not moving until we are finished. I further told him that he was RUDE AND STUPID! We received no apology. Just that as we were leaving he called me a b h. Next on the hot plate is the CASABLANCA RESTAURANT. Where all the buffet meals are located. The resort employees eat at the same time and location as the guests. Their employees should have their own meal time and section. We were cut off in line several times by hungry employees just pushing through the line showing no courtesy to the guests. JUST NOT RIGHT! The worst part is during a weeks stay the guests are invaded by the locals, families of the employees, a bunch of misbehaved loud kids....AND GOD WHO KNOWS WHO ELSE!... Who wants to spend a lot of money (it wasn't cheap) not knowing who they are letting in??? This place needs a lot of help...did I mention the timeshare reps? I had to walk around hold up a sign that had a big NO on it! every-time we had to pass them. We said no a few times and then just refused to acknowledge them. WILL WE BE BACK???? PROBABLY NEVER....NOT EVEN THE PEOPLE OF THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC ARE GRACIOUS. One would think that in this economy anyone relying on the tourist industry would be more welcoming. The only good thing here was the beach. THINK WE'LL GO BACK TO THE PALACE RESORTS IN MEXICO. THERE A 5 STAR IS A 5 STAR and the Mexican people gracious and welcoming.

7 Thank ZsaZsa52

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,010)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Dumfries, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2010

This was my husband and my first trip to the Dominican Republic. We had heard lots of things about Punta Cana but hadn't met anyone who had been to Puerta Plata. After reading some of the reviews on Tripadvisor.com I figured it shouldn't be too bad.

I booked the deal Cheapcarribean.com was running in April for 7 days 6 nights all inclusive. When we arrived at the airport, our transportation was promptly waiting which is always nice. The bus did breakdown on the way to the hotel however. We were able to get checked in right away and our room was ok. It smelled like mildew (which I had previously read about on here). And the shower situation was nuts. The shower head wouldn't stay up and then the shower itself would flood out into the rest of the bathroom because there was no door on the shower stall. We advised the hotel, but for the full 7 days we were there, nothing was done about it. All but one of the restuarants was closed when we got there and we were starving. The Bellini Italian restaurant offered a strange selection on the menu and an extremely unappetizing buffet (pink, sweaty cheese--don't know what that's all about).

So upon check in, we were advised that we had to meet with our "Cheapcarribean Representative" for a mandatory meeting at 0930 hours the next day...I'm on vacation- the last thing I want to hear is mandatory meeting!!! Well we went. All it was was an overview of the excursions offered through the hotel and you get to ask questions and book then and there. WELL- the hotel ONLY excepts cash! They would gladly WRITE your credit card number down for you and handle it that way but that's it no machines. So in an attempt to book the Zip Lining excursion, I went to the ONLY ATM on the resort to pull $ out. It was out of service. So I was not able to book my ziplining that day. Good thing we were staying for 6 more days. Also upon check in, they advised that we would need to make all of our dinner reservations at once, in advance with the conciegre. So on day 2, I went up to the concierge to do so. She advised that they had 3 spots available on Friday evening at only one of the restaurants and that was IT (there were 4 specialty restuarants at the resort). It was Wednesday! When I told her that was ridiculous, the hotel wasn't even 1/2 booked- she got a nasty little attitude and damn near threw my reservation ticket at me. So I then made a mistake of attempting to us the WiFi advertised to those privileged enough to have access to VIP beach (part of the Cheapcarribean deal we got- it's supposed to be exclusive). Well no luck with the WiFi either. According to one of the employees there, they suffered some kind of damage and the service would be down for 2 weeks. But instead of offering access to guests at their 2nd WiFi location (VIP World), they opted to have us due without. They did however offer E-Machines in the lobby of the hotel that had no firewalls and that you had to pay $8.00/hr to have access to, cash only of course. So being as though I had 2 small children at home I needed to communicate with, I paid the $8. The front desk had to find change for my $20 so she promised she'd get me my change by the time I ended my session--never saw the money again and then she acted like she didn't know what I was talking about. All this on day 2.

By the end of the week, we had lowered our expectations to the point of it becoming a joke. Every evening they allowed local vendors to come and set up tables to sell merchandise which is a good idea if the vendors were no pressure personalities that sold authentic merchandise. They all pretty much sold the same things and they were posted up directly in front of the main entrance to the buffet restaurant so you were harrassed going to dinner every night. We finally got our dinner at the restaurant we had reserved earlier in the week. We placed our order and then proceeded to wait almost an hour and 15 mins for it to come out. And no- it was not worth the wait. The food in general at this resort was nothing to write home about. On the 3 day, we were approached by a guy from the resort who kept insisting that he had additional merchandise he wanted to give us for staying at the resort. I of course didn't trust it, but my husband has a hard time saying no to free. So they trapped him in to bringing me to go get our free stuff...I had to be with him to get it. Do you see where this is going?! So we walk down to the timeshare office to go get our free STUFF and the man hands me a clip board. When I asked him why he needed my info and my annual income, he advised that it was so that he could show me the remainder of the resort. Once I advised him that I had no interest in seeing the rest of the resort because I had no intention of coming back there, he too developed a nasty little attitude and told me I could leave. I don't know about other people, but when I'm on vacation--I don't want to be trapped into obligations and sales tactics. Not on my dime!

The only good things the resort offered were the beachside beds at VIP Beach (I sent every day there after lunch) and the Sunday night party. They go all out and have a huge outdoor buffet and live music by the cliff side. Fireworks too. But don't think they don't take this as an opportunity to attempt to sell timeshares. They also offered a show at Ocean World called Bellisimo. The show was impressive, but the costumes were very riske. I had the uncomfortable pleasure of sitting next to kids that were no older then 10 who were so embarrassed at what they saw that they kept their heads down almost the whole night. Till this day I don't know where their parents were.

All in all, this was not my first visit to the carribean and I think that's what ruined it for me. I know it can be done better. I had great expectations since this was going to be my first all-inclusive. Lifestyle really needs to do something about their approach to their sells antics. Everyone we met while we were there pretty much agreed with us about the resort and our experiences. The locals whoever advised that Lifestyle was the best resort in Puerta Plata so if that tells you something.

To end on a good note, the kids who run the Zipling at Yessica were amazing and it was super fun. If you get the chance, I recommend it 100%. Very professional and good equipment;)

11 Thank nygrly
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2010

`Very nice resort with excellent service, very nice room with sitting area and lanai and luxury pools. The buffets are wonderful with many items to choose from. Drinks plentiful and good. Restaurants very nice and gourmet restaurants worth the extra price. Las Vegas show at Ocean World included in the VIP. We loved everything about this place.

2 Thank jgrubbs
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2010

Hello , im 15 years old and on june 20 I arived at life styles hotel Santo Domingo. Puertoplata while Ariving durring check in the light left from the hotel & 5 minutes later it came back .They decided to move us to some other houses that were accoiciated with the hotel but when we got their the pool was way to deep, and there was only 1 resteraunt and they only served italian food.So we decided to go back to the hotel. When we reseived our rooms day 1 was great .Me and my 2 sisters decided to go see a show we couldnt get into the v.i.p we were very disapointed .The next day my mom decided to ask why couldnt my girls go into the V.i.p So this nice man Decided to show us all these beautiful Villas. He showed us this display house i guess it was so beautiful He conviced my dad to spend all this money to buy a villa. When the money cleared we were ready to move into the villa but they put us into this ugly broken up villa, and then they told us if you dont like this villa you can get your 3 rooms back. and we agreed to leave but my sisters daughters granfather was with a lawyer and he was saying thats not right because we paid for PLATNUM deal to get a beautiful villa and there trying to place us in a 3 BEDROOM with 7 people That just wasnt ganna work. The guy who took us to the villa out of no where disapeared and when we went back to the V.I.p front desk my mom canceled the contract and then they kicked us out to the street we are not from santo domingo we had no where to sleep.They Literally Cut our v.i.p Braclets and kicked us out. They had all this security waiting for us and they were laughing at us and recording us they said we were maniacts And then they said we will transfer ur 5 days left to another hotel but when we left to the other hotel they had called and said not to take us because we were crazy . We were all so embaressed we had to pay 100 dallors to take a cab to Santiago almost a 2 hour drive to sleep in a hotel. Then we Moved again back to puertoplata the next day, Untill saturday But our flight left on sunday So we had to move again to another hotel This Trip was FUN and also a Trip from hell The hotel Life styles Is a FROAD they steal everyones money because there was also more people fighting that they owed them money.I SUGGEST do not BUY A VILLA IN THIS HOTEL THERE FROADS please dont let them ruin your vacation :) goodbye

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank Emocashx3
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2010

I'll write all the pluses first & minuses last.. I stayed there 3 days.. Based on the other reviews I don't know why people are complaining. I went on ORBITZ and payed on average 78.00 for 2 people.. thats an average of $39.00 per nite per person. All inclusive. The rooms where very clean, stocked fridge, iron & iron board, safe box, hairdryer, toiletries in bathroom, great AC. balcony w/table & lounge chairs, quiet. Very good Breakfast, Lunch ok, Good Buffet Dinner. The staff was excellent in the sense that everyone, any worker walking by you gives you a greating of some sort, & even a smile. Yes its not a 5 star. But $39.00 per nite what do you want ??????? I'LL TELL YOU A LITTLE SECRET ABOUT PUERTO PLATA RESORTS.. "What one resort dose'nt have the other does" This place even has nice fluffy pillows & king size bed in the room" ....the negatives many resorts have issues with providing hot water.. there was hot water during the day but not at night. The other thing I did not like was that when i asked to book a restaurant they said that there was'nt an opening available until 3 days later.. & the resort was not packed at all.. So i guess one has to stay there for at least a week to get restaurants booked...hmmm.

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank NJPR
East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2010

Stay FAR AWAY from this place. It is a trap. The food is awful. Many of the employees are rude. My best friend, her 3 boys and myself and my 2 boys spend 1 week for spring break 2010 there. We spend about 10 thousand dollars as a group and felt ripped off. The hotel gave us a better room after we complained. It was a much nicer room. But the damage was done. Even in the new room the beds smell very bad. There was never a bed by trhe beach unless you got up to make a line at 7am. My friend and I have vacationed in Punta Cana, Hawaii and Mexico before and always had a great time. This was the worst vacation experience ever. our kids were miserable most of the time. they do have a great welcome party, but that's about it. After we called Cheapcaribbean we were told we had to pay an extra 1200 to move to another hotel 2 hours away. We felt trapped in hell. We expected free tix to Oceanworld and were very disappointed when we learned our voucher was a fake and we had to read the fine print hidden in the contract. it was my second Cheapcaribbean vacation and the first for my friend. I don't think I will ever book with your office again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
9 Thank CASTILLOISA
Jamaica, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2010

My husband and I ended up booking this resort after finding an unbeatable deal on cheapcarribean.com for 7 nights that we just couldnt pass up. Based on the great deal, I would say that you get what you pay for. The service, food, and rooms are decent. We were there for 7 nights and did not get tired of the food because the main buffet has a vast amount of options to choose from. Some dishes are made really well and others are left to be desired so you just gotta feel it out as you go along. We ate good. I dont find going to the restaurants really worth it. We went to the Italian one and the Asian one and were not impressed at all. I prefer the main buffet area that has most of those cusines available anyway. Booking through Cheapcarribean gives you access to the VIP facilities and I would've gotten pretty bored without it. The VIP Beach is where we spent most of our sunbathing. It is Amazing and the highlight of the resort. The drinks are much better there and cigars are also all-inclusive. The beds on the beach are so luxurious and relaxing as you stare off into the ocean and the servers come up to you to see what you want. That section won me over. Since we were there for 7 nights, it was an absolute MUST for us to do some excursions. We did the horseback riding, day trip to paradise island, and the damajuagas (27 waterfalls). All of them were AMAZING and were the highlights of our trip overall. You really get to see the country and appreciate it's people and culture. I strongly encourage that if you come here you do the horseback riding and paradise island. The waterfalls are not for everyone as it is quite adventurous and requires you to be in good physical shape since you will be climbing, jumping, hiking, and sliding through the waterfalls. It was a bit intense but a great experience if you willing to take a walk on the wild side.
When it comes to the rooms, the structure of the showers is a bit of a disaster as you get water all over the place so you have to keep the pressure low. the lighting in the room is very dim but may not be much of an issue if you dont spend much time in the room. Room service can be a bit slow at times. Overall, its a pretty good value for what you pay and there are alot of Dominicans that stay at this resort which I found interesting and cool. The Sunday Night Welcome Party is Really Nice.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple