The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
US$185
Iberostar.com
  • Breakfast included
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$303
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
Sunscape Puerto Plata Dominican Republic(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$317
US$198
Bookit.com
US$319
US$278
US$337
US$214
  • Breakfast included
Blue JackTar(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$154
US$132
US$160
Average 3/5
US$273
US$205
Travelocity
4,981 results
All reviewsvip beachjulio the rockgeorge of the jungleblue lagoonwelcome partyocean worldsushi barcasa blancasalamicasablanca buffetwater aerobicsdominican republicbeach bedsvip partyserenity beachthese guyshorseback riding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 July 2010

this hotel was sooo fun!! the ppl that worked there made it amazinly fun and worth while....there was sooo much to do!!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank casey12x
Reviewed 18 July 2010

First of all, I have read so many of these reviews and I think it really just depends on the person. I was so stressed out before going after reading these and I just have to say that some people can't let things go and expect perfection. If you are expecting perfection you will never be happy. This place rocks!

This was a trip taken with my entire family. My mom and dad are in their fifties and my brother and sister and I and our guests are in their mid twenties. We had planned this trip for 2 years, so needless to say we had high expectations. We booked this trip through an owner and we were staying in a 4 bedroom villa. I will say not to look at the pics of the villas you see online and expect to get one of them, because unless you are an owner you won't! When we first arrived we were told that we were going to be put in two 2 bedroom villas with two pools that overlooked the ocean. We were a little hesitant because we wanted to stay together but they assured us that these two villas were connected and it would be like we were all living together. We checked in quickly and were given yummy drinks and taken to our villas. These villas were TERRIBLE!! We would NEVER have stayed in anything this run down. We were 4 couples and there was 1 bedroom in one of the villas and 2 bedrooms in the other with 1 twin bed in each closet of the bedrooms. We flipped out and made a huge stink and they said they would see what they could do. My dad took the lady outside and had words with her and we were moved to a BEAUTIFUL (but still older) 4 bedroom villa. We had a wonderful pool and everything was great for the rest of the week. The only problem with our villa was that there was only AC in the bedrooms. The doors all opened wide so it wasn't too hot, but just know there is no AC in the living quarters.

The only other thing that wasn't top notch was the food and drink. They were good, but not excellent. The VIP Gourmet was fantastic, but other than that, it is typical food.

Now onto the good stuff! Everything else about this place is amazing!! We had blue VIP bracelets and were able to go to all but one of the restaurants. I didn't feel that we were treated any different than those with gold or silver bands. The entertainment and the staff are wonderful. Go to the welcome party on Sunday night and the BBQ on Tuesday! The show at Oceanworld is REALLY good, but get there early if you want a good seat. The drinks at Oceanworld were free and they were really good! Go to Oceanworld during the day to see the animals. You get to be really close to them. They were so cute!

The woman who works in the sports bar is so nice and will do anything for you. If you see a salesperson just say no and they will leave you alone. The VIP beach was the most amazing place I have ever been. The beds are so comfortable and we had no problem at all getting 4 of them so we could all be near each other.

I would recommend this place to anyone who wants a wonderful vacation at a decent price. This was paradise and we are already planning our next family trip here! Please don't believe all the bad comments about this place. It is what you make of it and if you are an easy going person who wants to relax and have fun with family or friends you will love this place.

Suggestions:
1. Make your reservations for the restaurants the day you get there.
2. Leave tips for those who give you good service. They will be good to you if you are good to them and a dollar or two a day goes a long way. (If you have villa, the pool boy and the maid make basically nothing so they really appreciate the tips)
3. Bring bug spray with you just in case (especially for excursions)
4. Do the Paradise Island Excursion and pay the extra for the Yacht.
5. DO NOT drink any of the water unless it's in a bottle.
6. JUST HAVE FUN AND DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
8  Thank jcohen721
Reviewed 17 July 2010

First I will say you definitely will want the VIP beach access by either booking through Cheapcaribbean.com or upgrading once there, it is worth it. With that said I would like to address a previous review about the time share people. First there are different lvls of timeshare packages for the villas, thats why some may have paid 50,000 and another couple paid 15,000. It isn't only the rest of your trip that you are paying for it is for access lvls to them in the future also. I sat throught he whole spheil cause my friend was interested, but if you politely tell them you can't afford one at this time or you just aren't interested they will leave you alone. After our tour we where never approached again by the salesmen.

Positives:
The staff at lifestyles was very professional and I never had any problems with any of them. They all spoke very fluent english and was willing to help us learn and practice our spanish. A tip goes a long way with your wait staff. On the VIP beach, Maria would have another drink for us before we had even finished our current one. I had to slow her down at times. David at the swim-up bar was the same way. Like I said a tip here and there and I had to slow them down even when others where crowded waiting for a drink I never had to wait. The dive shop guys where awesome also and we where able to get our open water divers certification and 5 dives in the week that we where there. The Reefs we dove on where very nice.

The other visitors, we met lots of quality people while there and did excursions with them. We met about 6 or 7 people we plan on going back and visiting at the resort with again. The VIP beach "hottubs" ( they aren't hot they actually cold water tubs ) are a definitely must do as well as the canopy beds. The hottubs are the meeting spots during the day and the swim-up bar in the evenings till midnight. the resort grounds are very well kept and very nice.

Negatives: The ala carte sign-up process in general. We where diving most every day and by time we could get back each day it was to late to sign up for the next day. Not the resorts fault really just tried to squeeze to much into a week.

The beach itself. The beach has a lot of rocks in the water and drops off fairly quick. It isn't the beach I expected but the beach we dove at in Sosua was beautiful, but this is the Atlantic side not the Caribbean side. The snorkeling was ok off the beach at the hotel though so it was ok, just wasn't the beach i was expecting.

Picking up scuba certification in a week. it is doable but it took a lot of our time away from other excursions we wanted to do. I think it was worth it but others may not. We missed out on our Oceanworld trip just due to lack of time.

That is my postives and negatives, but I will address what most others do. We ate every night in the buffet and I agree the food is rather drab, but I wasn't there for food. The rooms where adequate, nothing fancy. I honestly didn't spend enough time in the room for it to have mattered. Like I said the rooms where adequate and clean.

We plan on going back and as their saying goes "only recommend it to your best friends" so it doesn't get crowded lol. I would recommend what we did, or plan on doing in the future when we return. Meet someone while you are there who has a villa plan and rent it dirrectly from them and then just pay your All inclusive and airfare fees for the week. If you are looking for nightlife, then i wouldn't recommend staying here. If you are looking for a good place for family and friends to enjoy and relax then yes it is for you. I hope this helps someone. Oh, don't miss the Sunday night party, the food was awesome and show was also. pics included!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank DaveTex44
Reviewed 15 July 2010

The resort and people are great. I traveled with my wife and 3 boys 16, 14, and 11. We all had a great time at the resort. The staff were always very happy and helpful. Breakfast at the buffet was good, and there was variety available for lunch. Food at the restaurants was much better than some of the reviews state.
We booked a 2BR/1BA thru an owner website.
My advice is book thru an owner so you get most of their benefits. Go with an open mind and relax.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Simpson75
Reviewed 14 July 2010

Hotel staff was very friendly, food was excellent and there was food in abundance. We were VIP guests so that we could use the VIP beach which I sincerely recommend ...So, in other words, the resort is excellent and if have to describe resort in one word, for sure I would write - paradise...

Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family