“High "Z's" is all about Exceeding your Expectations”

High Z's Fishing Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Fishing Charters, Snorkeling, Beach Tours. Best rate in one of the best boat charters in Puerto Plata. Catch Blue Marlins, White Marlins, Sailfish, Wahoo, Tuna, and Mahi-Mahi, Barracudas and more!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
Reviewed 23 September 2017

I am 61 years old and this was not my first private charter. It was my 10th, spanning the last 25 years and with little to show for my previous experiences, so to be honest, my expectations were low. To have one good day fishing at sea was on my bucket list and I had decided this would be my last shot, having spent more than I care to admit on my previous trips.

I have a very close relationship with a family in the DR, and had planned a visit and decided to add my fishing adventure to the itinerary. Puerto Plata was my destination, so I started checking into charters and High Z's kept coming up in my search. The reviews looked good so I decided to book. I contacted Captain Nelson and he made suggestions on duration and type of fish (we agreed on a full day of Mahi-mahi fishing).

For a mere $800 dollars, I would get picked up at my vacation condo, fish 8 full hours, was provided lunch, snacks, drinks, including all the ice cold beer I could drink, and upon our return to dock, clean and fillet catch, cook some of the fish for a meal, and return me to my condo. Oh and I need to mention I brought four close family friends with me at no extra charge.

We arrived at the marina early AM. We boarded a spacious and extremely clean tournament class fishing vesel, with two mates on board to help us have the best fishing experience of our lives. The equipment was first class, accomdations outstanding.

We proceeded to have an outstanding day at sea, landing about 15 mahi-mahi and an assortment of other fish to top off the experience. The mates were experienced, incredibly hard working and did everything to make our trip great. And one aspect of the trip really got my attention, when it came time to come back in, we continued to fish all the way back to shore. I had never had a captain do that on a previous charter. Captain Nelson and his crew of the High Zs was all about exceeding my expectations - and man did they do that!!!!

So this isn't a review, it's an endorsement! I strongly recommend that you book your next Charter with Captain Nelson and High Zs.

Have your own expectations exceeded!!!

Todd M. Bennington

Nelson H, Captain at High Z's Fishing Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2017

Todd, it was a pleasure to give our service to you and your group, you are an excellent human being, I hope to see you again in the future.

All reviews
"in great shape"
"these guys"
"great trip"

Reviewed 6 June 2017 via mobile

We went out early in the morning, the Dominican weather is beautiful, and the boat is awesome! We caught a barracuda, and we had 8 people on the boat! Captain Nelson is knowledgeable and so helpful! Would recommend! He also supplied us with snacks and drinks!!

Nelson H, Captain at High Z's Fishing Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2017

Thanks Jaymee for your comment!, hope to see you again!

Reviewed 29 May 2017

My wife and I booked this trip with 2 of our other friends just a few days before heading to Puerto Plata. Capt. Nelson was very responsive over email and picked us up right on time from our resort at Playa Dorada. Everything was as expected and as pictured on the website. It is a comfortable clean boat and Nelson provided plenty of food, cold beer, and water for the trip. It was a slow start to the morning but on our way back in we hooked up with 3 Mahi-Mahi all at once! It made for a very exciting trip. Nelson went out of his way to even cook up our catch back at the dock. His homemade seasoning was absolutely delicious and it was fantastic to eat the fresh Mahi after spending the day on the water. Nelson has a very high success rate at catching fish and I would definitely recommend this charter to anyone looking in the Puerto Plata area.

Nelson H, Captain at High Z's Fishing Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2017

Thanks for your comment Scott! It was our pleasure! Hope to see you again!

My best regards to you and yours.

Reviewed 20 May 2017

My first ever tropical vacation with my beautiful wife to be Tracy. I have dreamed of hooking a Marlin since I was a child watching wild kingdom. We had first booked a charter with Buscapie fishing tours on Friday may 6th and they never showed at our resort to pick us up, even thought we booked well a head, I was very disappointed, my lovely Tracy called High Z's that morning and talked with captain Nelson and arranged a charter for that afternoon. Captain Nelson showed up at our resort at the time he said and we proceeded to go on our charter, he told me that he would do his very best to make my dream come true. I must say he and his first mate were awesome, nothing but professional,funny,and a wealth of fishing knowledge.......I landed the biggest fish I have ever caught in my life (45 minutes to bring it in) I might add that Captain Nelson sings very good LOL, 1ST mate Joel was amazing and even made sure that I didn't dehydrate while bringing in my catch (with beer) besides proposing to my beautiful wife to be, this was the time of my life. You can get fishing charters for a bit cheaper............but read the reviews, if you want to catch fish, be treated by a crew who knows what they are doing and are very dependable..............then choose High Z's.................you definitely will NOT be disappointed...................Captain Nelson.............we will see you again this November.............thank you so much............David and Tracy..North Bay Ontario Canada

Nelson H, Captain at High Z's Fishing Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2017

Thanks David & Tracy for your comment! My pleasure is your satisfaction! Hope to see you again!