“This is the place you are looking for”

Casa Colonial Beach & Spa
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 29 June 2014

There just isn't much to say other than they don't miss a thing. The property is beautiful, the rooms are very comfortable, the food is off the chart. Lunch by the pool on the roof is not to be missed. We only had a two night stay before meeting friends at another resort for the rest of the week and wished we would have brought them to Casa Colonial instead. We could not quit talking about Casa. I don't have a lot of experience at high end hotels to compare with but I can't imagine that it can be a better experience than this.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Resort_Team, Manager at Casa Colonial Beach & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

We very much appreciate receiving your glowing review. Thank you! Our team truly appreciates your kind remarks and we hope you will stay with us again.

There are newer reviews for Casa Colonial Beach & Spa

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Beautiful place, luxurious rooms, beautiful views, great food and impeccable service. I tried all things Dominican they offered and was not disappointed. I tried their Sancocho for lunch one day, excellent! I had a Dominican breakfast the next morning which consisted of fried eggs, fried white farm cheese, Dominican salami, and mangu (mashed green plantains with pickled red onions) what a great way to start the day. I had a sample goat appetizer and it was so tender and flavorful. I also had something not Dominican, the lobster raviolis. OMG! Thanks Casa Colonial for a great stay. Kim Mitchell

Room Tip: I don't think there's a bad one.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kim M

Thank you for your kind review. We are glad you enjoyed the resort as well as our local cuisine. We hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

My husband and I went to DR for our 4th Year Anniversary. We were so excited since it was our 1st time in DR. We stated at VH Gran Ventana Resort. We wanted to try the spa service and they told us that they have it at the sister hotel (Casa Colonial) around the corner named Bagua Spa. We had a little tour of the site. They claimed being one of the best hotel in DR (5stars) and even Versace was there, so we reserved it for the next day. My husband got the Aromatherapy and I got the Hot stone massage. The therapists were very professional and we were totally relaxed. After the treatment, I came back to the resting area and put my mask on. Few minutes later the receptionist came to the room and rushed me saying that they're closing in 20min. Since I just had put my mask on, I wanted to wait at least 5min more to let it dry, so I said ok. But she was starring at me and waiting for me to move! Oh mine!!
We came out all rushed up to the counter before 4. When we got the bill, we were charged for something called "servicio" (service), so we asked if this was the tip for the therapist. She said it was for all the staff working there. Then we asked: "so is it optional?" She yelled: "No!!"
We were so confused and as we were trying to figure out the situation, she crashed the drawers to the counter making a BIG noise. Finally we asked: "Is this the tax??" Then she goes: "Yes!!", rolling her eyes and looking at us as stupids. She was totally NASTY and RUDE!!!!
Although we were very displeased, we didnt want to make a big deal out of it so we let it go.
After this, we said that we wanted to add the tips to the total. She snatched the receipt from my hand, made another receipt with a new subtotal and leaving the tips in blank.
We had a feeling that the tips won't go to our therapists so we asked if she can give the tips to them now. She yelled at us saying: "No, they will get the tips in 2 weeks!!"
And just closed the counter and kicked us out since she was rushing to be out from there before 4!!
It was the worst customer service ever and the most disrespectful employee we ever met!!!
We came back to our room very displeased and irritated that I ended up having a dispute with my husband that night.
After this incident, our whole perspective of the hotel changed.
This receptionist, Noemi totally ruined our vacation!!! We will NEVER come back to this place just to be treated like a crab!!!

• Stayed: May 2014
18  Thank Yemima L

We are so sorry to hear that even though you enjoyed your spa services, that one employee ruined your experience. We will, of course, discuss this review with the staff to ensure this situation does not happen again. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

A very nice hotel with exceptional service. Highly recommended to any one coming to this area. The breakfasts were particularly lovely and the roof top pool quite amazing. DON'T undr any circumstances go to the Jade Garden Chinese restaurant as the attitude sucks

Room Tip: Beach front
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Marjorie B
Resort_Team, Manager at Casa Colonial Beach & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

We appreciate receiving your kind review. We are sure your tips will come in useful for future visitors. We look forward to being of service on your next visit.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

My wife and I traveled in mid February to Casa Colonial. We were originally scheduled to go to an all inclusive in Puerto Plata, but after reading a few too many poor reviews leading up to our trip, we decided to splurge and go to the #1 rated hotel in Puerto Plata. We didn't know what to expect at Casa Colonial, but we were pleasantly surprised. We prefer the flexibility to eat where we want. So, not being in an all inclusive was great for us. There are many things to say, so let's start with the room. It is large, elegant, yet simple. The balcony for us overlooked the pond and a lot of foliage. It was beautiful. There is a refrigerator with snacks and drinks for sale in the room. The cleaning staff left a couple of bottles of water each night. I liked the sitting area in the room and on the balcony. The wireless signal was weak to nonexistent on the bed in the room. I could get it on the couch somewhat, and on the balcony. The wireless signal was excellent on the beach though. I would guess the cement walls were the reason for the weak signal in the room.
The beach was fantastic. There was a resort to the left and to the right of us that looked crowded. However, it was my wife and I, and about 2 other couples in our section of the beach (Casa Colonial residents only). The peace and quiet was amazing. There is a resort person there for your assistance. It could get a little windy, but that was okay. Enjoy walking the beach in either direction. It is a nice walk.
We had breakfast, lunch and dinner at various times at the Casa Colonial. They were all good. I actually had goat for the first time. It was very good. The breakfast and lunch items were very nice. We ate lunch up by the pool overlooking the beach. It was a nice view. Our in room dinner order was messed up a couple of times one night most likely due to communication issues.
What I liked about Casa Colonial's location is that we were able to eat at multiple restaurants within walking distance in Playa Dorada (this is where Casa Colonial is). The "Mall" is very close. You can eat there and do a little shopping. We also went to the opposite end of Playa Dorada to a restaurant. It was walking distance if you like a good walk, but the amazing doormen at Casa Colonial drove us there in their golf cart, and offered to pick us up afterward. We walked back though. It was a nice luxury touch though.
We enjoyed sitting under the gazebo by the beach at night for a nice view of the water. It was a great way to relax.
The excursions we went on picked us up right from the hotel.
My only complaint was noise related. The resorts on both sides cranked loud booming music from 11pm until about 1 or 2am every night. I am a light sleeper, so it was a little tough to sleep. We were in a room on the side. I would recommend an ocean view if you are a light sleeper.
The staff was very friendly and helpful. I would bring more than you think for tipping. I used US dollars almost exclusively.
If you like a smaller boutique hotel with a touch of luxury and privacy, then this is the place for you. We loved it and recommend it!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank P B
Resort_Team, Manager at Casa Colonial Beach & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

We are truly delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay at Casa Colonial. We will be sure to pass your kind words onto the chef. We do apologize if our neighbors kept you from sleeping. We do our best to provide a true ‘oasis’ away from that sort of thing… We do very much hope to be able to welcome you and your wife back to Casa Colonial very soon.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

My fiance booked this hotel to celebrate my birthday and I can honestly say it was the best birthday ever. The place is completely majestic. The architecture inside first of all is just breathtaking. They had art all through the space which made you feel like you were in a museum. The outdoor landscape is gorgeous with giant palm trees to gorgeous orchids blooming beautifully all around. The room itself was very nice and the bed extremely comfortable. We had room 37 which was the ocean view suite. They brought treats every evening like cookies and 2 bottles of water. I looked forward to that every night.

The service is top notch and definitely 5-star quality. The breakfast was so great. They had choices between American breakfast and Dominican breakfast. We tried both and we loved the dominican breakfast with the eggs, fried cheese, dominican sausage, fruit and more. For lunch we usually ate by the pool and it was also very good. For dinner we tried the restaurant in the hotel and it was very delicious as well as room service which was very good and fast. For my birthday dinner, we had a table by the beach. It was so beautiful to have dinner while the sun was setting with the nice cool breeze coming in over the waters.

We had our driver who picked us up from the airport to the hotel (that the hotel coordinated) take us on a city tour. That was really awesome since we went to the Brugal Rum factory, the cigar factory and went in a cable car up a mountain for an aerial view of Puerto Plata. It was aboslutely gorgeous!!! Everyone should try this at least once. Once we got to the top of the mountain, we used a guide to tell us about the plants, flowers and the history of the place. That was just $18 for the both of us and it was well worth it. Definitely have someone from the hotel drive you to a local restaurant because that was an interesting experience too. Just to sit amongst the locals and eat what they were eating was really fun.

We used the spa a lot while we were there because they gave the best massages!!

We really had the most amazing time at Casa Colonial and we are even planning on coming back for our honeymoon.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MiloandBobby

Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your recent vacation with us. We are so pleased to know that you enjoyed your birthday! We hope to be able to welcome you back for many more celebrations.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

After spending a few days doing volunteer work in Sosua I spent the final 2 nights of my trip at the Casa Colonial- it is a beautiful, peaceful resort that has everything one could wish for. The rooms are well appointed with large bathrooms and a tub for 2. The sitting area and portch are additional perks to the room. The pool overlooks the beach and the breeze is welcomed. Resaurants serve delicious food.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lynel T
Resort_Team, Manager at Casa Colonial Beach & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

First, we would like to thank you for your volunteer efforts in our country. We are certainly glad we could give you a pleasant post-work vacation and we very much hope to have you back with us again soon.