“Fool's Gold... Terrible accommodations, management and customer service”

Presidential Suites A Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I recently went to Presidential Suites with 5 of my friends (6 of us total) for my bachelor's party. I was excited to get to the resort because the website looked awesome and the VIP perks seemed really nice. Unfortunately this was NOT the case.

Dinner reservations/ VIP Perks: We arrived around 2:40 pm on Saturday for a 3 PM check -in. We were planning on staying for 3 nights. After checking in to the hotel, the front desk directed us to the VIP desk to make dinner reservations and to choose our 1 bottle of liquor per guest (bottom shelf Brugal variations = instant hangover). When we spoke to the representative she told us that all the dinner reservations for Saturday where already filled; there was dinner provided at the VIP reception party on Sunday night, but it had been canceled due to rain (it never rained on Sunday) so we would have to go to a buffet; and the only reservation available was for the Steak & Seafood restaurant at 8:30 pm on Monday. We reluctantly made our reservation for 8:30 on Monday night, disappointed that as “VIP’s” there were no reservations available at restaurants even if we checked in before your scheduled time. As the weekend went on, we eventually called the desk to check on another mater (the broken AC) on Monday only to find out that our reservation had been canceled and rescheduled for Jazz (New Orleans Cuisine) without any notification to any of the 6 people in our party. When we arrived at our reservation at Jazz things got even worst. The hostess told us that we would not be seated because some of the members of the party were wearing shorts (in 90 degree tropical weather). I immediately ask to speak to the manager, but he declined to allow us to be seated indoors. He then proceeded to tell us that they could prepare a place outside for us to sit and have dinner (like second class citizens). At this point we are all starving so we agreed to sit outside and have our meal while swatting mosquitoes.

"Presidential" Suite: Our next adventure had to do with our room. We deiced to stay in the upgraded presidential suite instead of the standard room due to it being a special occasion. When we arrived to the room we were thrilled. The bedrooms and living rooms where spacious, and the bathroom and kitchen were very clean. But after further inspection, this was NOT the case. The shower in the master bedroom did not have any hot water all weekend, and one of the other bathrooms toilets and emitting a faint "sewer gas smell". To make matters worst, our AC broke down on day 1 of 4-day trip (90+ degrees inside the suite for 3 days). After several calls and visits to the front desk to complain about the lack of AC we only received the same "We are working on it” response. When I got to my breaking point I approached the night manager JESUS MARIA to ask him when the AC would be fixed and I immediately got the WORST ATTITUDE AND CONDESCENDING tone I have ever experienced while on vacation. At one point during the conversations he literally threw his hands up and lunged at me yelling, "We are working on it!!!” I have never been so disappointed by a lack of customer service and I let him know that I would be contacting his supervisor and corporate office to voice my displeasure.

Overall, my recommendation to all travelers would be to STEER CLEAR OF PRESIDENTIAL SUITES. Though your first impression of the facility will blow you away, you will quickly realize how little your money is appreciated there once you experience their inadequate accommodations, rude/condescending management, and poor customer service.

Room Tip: Inspect your room to make sure AC is operational, hot water is functional and bathrooms are not emit...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank SportsPT1
The Management T, Manager at Presidential Suites A Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for having chosen our Presidential Suites by Lifestyle to spend your holidays. We appreciate you took the time to express your experience. We are deeply sorry that your experience was not as good as you expected and that you were not completely satisfied with our service.

We wish to assure you that we take any comments as a constructive criticism. Our management will take note of your comments to evaluate how we can improve. We thank you again for your comments and for having been part of our hotel , we wish to restore your confidence in our product and hope to see you in the future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 14 July 2014

First thing first we are time share owners and exchanged into Lifestyles through Interval international.158 dollars for the week. and 40 dollars a person per day (5 In my party so we paid 1400 for the all inclusive NOT BAD compared to other A.I. we have stayed at) with that said we had a two bedroom at the Presidential Suites VERY NICE!! 1 room with a king 2nd room with two queens and a murphy bed in the living room fully equipped kitchen(didn't use) all three areas had there own mini fridge stocked with water, soda and beer
Everyday whether we wanted it or not the room was cleaned and the fridges were restocked. GREAT house keeping!! The resort is HUGE there are like 6 or 7 resorts on the Lifestyles Holiday property so just know walking around to everything although not impossible will tire you out shuttles are greatly appreciated and utilized.
Food: the ala cart restaurants are only for dinner. Breakfast and lunch are either at your beach or at the buffets we tried all that we available and on our next to last day we found the diamond in the rough The Pearl!! go there you will love it....It is on a different level from Casablanca(HORRIBLE) and The Blues(good but not great).the best restaurant we liked was the Dominican. We ate at at every one we could an they all were just average food I cant explain it the food just didn't have a lot of flavor and the quality was not there. but for 200 a day I couldn't feed my family in the states for that much.
Medications: DO take tums, you will get the domican squirts, sun block a necessity!!
We went to the VIP beach and the Cofresi Beach we really liked Cofresi because the cabana beds aren't on top of each other as they are at VIP. as well there is a pool if you don't want to get in the ocean water. Drinks were great regardless of where we ordered.
Service was hot and cold some people were excellent and others were horrible.
You will pay 10 a person at the airport to get a "Tourist Card" to get into the country RIP OFF and you will pay it cash only. we did not have to pay to get out as I read in other reviews.
souvenir's on the beach are great price and don't be afraid of haggling and one thing that I found works is put the cash in the their hands they don't like giving it back and I would say that 90% of the stuff we bought we paid half of the asking price.
The excursions through the resort are expensive but we haggles there too tell them you know you can take a taxi too the excursion spot and get it for a fraction of their price and they will drop there price the excursion we did was 90 a person for a total of 450 for five of us and we got them down to 240.
Bring lots of cash no one likes to take credit cards and according to the people most don't have CC machines. take American dollars the Dominican Peso is horrible 1 usd = 43 DRP so remember it may only be a dollar to you but its a lot more to them.
wrapping this up by saying the resort is beautiful. very large(we didn't care for this) the food is average at best(Mexican restaurant had no guacamole) if you go to the Sunday VIP party go at least 45 minutes early or you will get NO seafood of anykind and once it is gone they do not replenish it.
Entertainment is decent but if you have young kids be wear their idea of "Family Friendly" shows is vegas style shows with women in thongs im not a prude but I don't want my kids seeing that at 10....

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ktfitness
The Management T, Manager at Presidential Suites A Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for having chosen Presidential Suites by Lifestyle to spend your holidays. We appreciate you took the time to express your experience. We are deeply sorry that your experience was not as good as you expected and that you were not completely satisfied with our service.

we take any comments as a constructive criticism. Our management will take note of your comments to evaluate how we can improve. We thank you again for your comments and for having been part of us, we wish to restore your confidence in our product and hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

My husband and I stayed in the Presidential Suites as VIP guests and that is the way to go! The room was more than we needed -- it was ultimately two hotel rooms as one! We were fortunate to travel as guests of a shareholder, so we had transportation to/from the airport and resort. Upon arrival we encountered a brief hiccup, but the men checking us in was oh-so fabulous! Being there as a VIP guest we had to immediately made dinner reservations for the week. We lucked out and only had to eat at a buffet once, thank goodness! The buffet's are absolutely horrible and I feel terrible for those who pay so much money and have to eat that garbage. We ate at Casa Blanca and the best food there was the corn dogs and the bread bar. Overall service on the resort was top notch. Be prepared to get stopped and hauled off to a sales pitch to buy in as a shareholder. If you're VIP definitely check out the VIP pool and the little bar that's along the side. Have Raul be your server, he's the best! Our favorite beaches were Serenity Beach and the VIP Beach. The shows and parties are over the top entertaining so do not miss out on those!

My only complaint would be in the evening our room smelled like smoke. So, evidently the suites are not smoke free. Also, towards the end of our stay we noticed the hot water never got hot. We literally had to jump into the shower, clean, and jump out. Not sure what happened there...

I encourage those who are thinking about going to pay the extra to be a VIP (gold bracelet) or go as a regular guest and pay for the upgrade. The gold bracelet will allow you access into so many more places than the blue bracelet will.

1  Thank LoveTryingNewThings

Dear Guest

Thank you for having chosen Presidential Suites by Lifestyle to spend your holidays. We appreciate you took the time to express your experience in this review. We are deeply sorry that your experience was not as good as you had expected and that you were not completely satisfied with our service.
We wish to assure you that we take any comments as a constructive criticism. Our management will take note of your comments to evaluate how we can improve our services.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Enjoyable! Loved the various restaurant themes each night. If I changed something, it would be the nightly entertainment. Tips could be taken from Ocean Blue and Sands (Punta Cana) nightly entertainment. The choreographer there was excellent! The shows were great!

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our Presidential Suites by Lifestyle. It is of great importance to know our guests experience in order to improve our services.
We are happy to hear that you had a relaxed time in our resort and of course your comments are taken very seriously, we will use it to improve our product.

It would be a pleasure to host you and your husband again in the future.

Best Regars,

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

I could not possibly have been more entertained or enchanted with the night life and daytime activity crew! Amazing!!! MiniMe/Disel, Stephanie, etc were fabulous and quite honestly if they are working somewhere else next time we visit, I may go there instead! I went with my boyfriend and my 16 year old son...there was something entertaining and appropriate to do at every turn that all age groups could enjoy! The food was good...the Italian was the best of it all. The room was oversized and bright but had an unbelievably foul smell that front desk had to come up and take care of...on day 6. TIP!! We didn't see a lot of people tipping and it's an absolute shame...too your waitstaff, bartenders, entertainers, etc. It goes a long way. We traveled from Boston and are already looking forward to returning!!

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear guest

Thank you for your nice comments about your stay in our Presidential Suites by Lifestyle. It was nice to read such a nice and detailed experience. Thank you for making us to realize the importance of our staff hard work.
We will make sure our intertainers know about your comments so they can be proud of their job. About the smell in the room we will follow up with our maintanance staff.

We thank you once again for having chosen us to spend your holydays and for taking the best if it.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

After reading some of the horror stories about people's vacations here, I honestly did try to switch resorts. However, we had gotten such a good deal on our week stay, there would have been no way to switch without paying significantly more money. And you know what...for the most part we really enjoyed ourselves, minus a few VERY big employee issues. I'm going to give a detailed report of what I found, so if you have a short attention span stop reading.....NOW. :)

Things to know:
1. This is a very poor country but with amazing people. A little respect goes a long way! So does your money. Most resort workers get 5.00 (US) a day. Most of them spend about a 1.00 a day to get to work. Food and basic supplies are VERY expensive, so the other 4.00 goes towards basic necessities. The tips you give to deserving employees really do make a huge difference. We took 100.00 singles and spread it out throughout the trip.

2. There are some great excursions. Rather than go through the excursions at the resort, we went through Marysol Tours (with Francisco). We saved about 300.00 US dollars and got similar tours. You will need to set up contact with Francisco before you go and get your total. (You can barter a bit if you book a couple of excursions). When you get there, Francisco will send a driver to get you to take back to his little office. That way you can make sure you are getting the excursions you want by seeing pictures and videos. Then he takes you back. Well worth it!!!

3. There is a great foundation that helps build homes in the DR - Puerto Plata area. By chance we ended up meeting the Director while we were there. If you want to help in a positive way, please check out their website: dominicanstarfish.org. What we saw while we did a home tour literally changed us and the focus of our trip. They also have a distribution center so you can find out what kind of things are needed for donations.

4. Dress code is rarely enforced in the restaurants. You will not be able to go into restaurants with a wet bathing suit, but that seemed to be the only thing enforced.

5. We did not change our US dollars into pesos. We were able to barter just fine with US money. Don't be afraid to really barter the price down. Printing out a little money conversation chart right before you go really helps.

6. Buying tourist stuff on the resort is way more expensive than getting it off of the resort.

7. Make sure you take plenty of sunscreen, stomach medicine (I'm NOT kidding on this one!!!!), a nice big insulated cup, bandaids, pain relief tablets, aspirin, etc...

8. Check your cell phone rules about going here. Don't assume your international plan will cover the Dominican Republic. Verizon was VERY expensive to use in the Dominican Republic, so we got a prepaid International calling card and just turned our cell phone off. We were charged a small phone fee(8.00 US total) by the resort but that was pretty common.

9. Think about renting a car? You might want to reconsider. Seriously. I have been a big city driver for many years, and I can honestly say I still have NEVER seen anything like I have seen here. Signs are loose suggestions and lines on the road are not followed at all. Motorcyclists are everyway and weaving in and out. People driving on the wrong side of the road. It's crazy! No joke! "Buckle up..it's going to be a bumpy ride!" If you want affordable pick up and drop off from the airport, look at suntransfers.com. We got a private round trip transfer for DIRT cheap and got wonderful service both ways. They will have your name on a paper when you exit the airport so you aren't confused as to whom to go with.

10. You will need to pay 10 US to get into the country and 20 US to get out.

The Good:
1. We stayed on the third floor in the Crown Suites area. It was beautiful. Most of the time there were hardly any people at our pool. The staff in the Bellini restaurant were very accommodating about filling our large cups with virgin pina colodas whether or not we were eating there.

2. The serving staff at Bellini were amazing (Juan...you're awesome!). We did leave US 1.00 tips and occasionally things like toothpastes and floss. (And regardless of what some people say, the staff really liked getting those extras as we were heartily thanked multiple times).

3. Our room had amazing views, amazing maid service (thank you Pauline!), and it had wonderful air condition and fans. We left two to three dollar tips and various supplies each day for our maid.

4. People talk about the horrible time share people. We took four excursions and all of them left early. As we went to the buffets, we would just tell them we were off on an excursion and they scattered away from us. With our "designated" time share guy, we told him we would consider sitting through it on the last day, but wouldn't if he kept bothering us. He was very respectful and actually picked us up in his cart and drove us around whenever he saw us. (I'll get to the actual timeshare stuff later.)

5. VIP beach was nice. We were there in mid June so we never had a problem getting a cabana. We don't drink so we can't say anything about alcohol quality, but I can say that they know how to make some GREAT non-alcoholic drinks. Great to cool you off while you are soaking in the sun.

6. Since we are not partiers, we enjoyed staying at the Crown Suites section. It seemed as though Tropical and Cofresi were definitely more party oriented. After dinner, we had to walk through both areas (on various nights) to catch a shuttle. Loud music was bumping from the rooms, drunk people throwing up, cackling and laughing coming from every direction. Going back to our quiet area was definitely a treat. Also, you get more guaranteed dinner reservations staying at the Crown Suite than the other two.

7. I literally had the best massage I EVER had at the Spa. If you go to the VIP beach, there should be a guy down there that will offer you a major discount. Go there first before booking something.

8. The resort is kept very clean. You will see workers out cleaning up the garbage and grounds very early in the morning.

9. The only smell we smelled was the sweet smell of flowers blooming. We didn't experience the sewer smell others have.

The "Are You Serious??" Stuff:
1. Shuttle Drivers - Some of the shuttle drivers were very nice, but quite of them were just rude. They did not want to drive us to the Crown Suites which was to the back of the hotel. One night, three shuttles wouldn't take us even though they had room. The fourth shuttle came and tried to say the same thing but my husband ignored him and we got in. That guy rolled his eyes at us and drove like a MANIAC, popping over sidewalks and everything. NO JOKE. When we got off he tore out of there without a word. When we tried to complain to the front desk guy, he pretended to not understand English until I said, I know you understand English because I talked to you yesterday. Then a miracle happened and he could understand me. Because I knew he wouldn't report it, I did the next day.

2. Waiting for your shuttle - If you are at the Cofresi or Tropical and are waiting for a shuttle, make sure you walk up to the shuttle and stand your ground. Otherwise, people will snake in front of you and take the limited seats and you will be left waiting another 15 to 20 minutes.

3. Since we are getting involved with helping sponsor having homes built, we knew we would be going back to DR next year (hopefully with a group of people). We decided to sit through the time share presentation to see if it would be worth buying in. We had to leave during part of it because of a prior engagement, and made plans to come back to our sales rep after we were done. We walked out to the front desk area and told the girl with braces that our original rep said we could trade the rum in for a t-shirt and hat. She said, "we don't do that." She then grabbed the bag with the rum out of my hand and took it back. I said, "sooo...we get nothing for our "welcome gift"?" She looked at me and gave me a dirty look and said, "Nope...." So I handed the paper back to the sales rep and said: "Just so you know, this girl cost you a membership over a t-shirt and hat. We will not be coming back to this resort if we are going to be treated this way." My husband asked for us to be taken back to our hotel room and she waved her hand toward the door (looking at her computer screen) and said, "go out there." He said, "Are you serious?" and she continued to wave her hand toward the door and ignored him. If I had been the sales rep I would have stopped her attitude, but he just stood there like a bump on a log. Me thinks we dodged a serious bullet if that's how we are going to be treated WHILE we are in the VIP building. (Needless to say, I didn't give her a tip or dental floss...) So much for a welcome gift! haha

4. The food - It is what it is. We LOVED the Pearl buffet and the Dominican Restaurant. The little pizzas at Bellini were great. However....the Chinese restaurant, the other buffet, and the seafood restaurant were a bit yucky. We ended up heading to the buffet after both of those experiences. Don't be shy about ordering two appetizers because the food portions really are small.

Would we stay here again? We might. For 19.00 a night, I can put up with a few yucky experiences here and there. Now I know what to expect, so it probably won't bother me as much a second time around. However, we do like new experiences and there are a lot of different resorts. So we will see....

Room Tip: I gave a 10.00 tip as we checked in. Got a beautiful 3rd floor room with amazing views. Well worth t...
6  Thank Evenstarr1
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I have posted of the Puerto PLata forum about what I see as problems with the management, but my review of the PS is very different. We arrived and were checked in at once. Bags taken to our suite (a studio) straight away. Disappointed that it was as far as is possible from the dining room and up a very steep hill. Still, we should get a golf cart so no probs. No golf cart. No change of rooms. The suites were not full but there were bookings for later in the week so I suppose they had to keep them free. Not happy. Made friends with porters so husband who can't walk very far managed to get to breakfast. Spent a lot on tips for drivers, but we had excellent service.
The room was excellent. Very clean and bright. All the time we were there (2 weeks) we saw no bugs or other nasties, and the room was fumigated. Towels and sheets changed daily. Air con worked very well and the only prob we had was that the cold water went off one morning. Reported it on the way to breakfast and repair had started within 1/2 hour. It was a broken pipe outside the block. It was amazing to watch the workers dig the hole so fast, replace the pipe all by the time we got back from the beach.
We are long standing members and know the resort well, but iit seems to increase in size every year. No matter where you stay on the resort members have access to all areas, except for ! beach and 1 restaurant which are for shareholders only. We ate at a good selection but I think the quality of the food and service in some of the restaurants is less than it was and economies are noticable. Some restaurants, Gourmet and Blue Lagoon we thought were great as usual, but Jazz was a great disappointment with less than good service and poorer quality food. Dominican was great - portions huge - husband had sancocho and could have used that as a main course. Brazillian also very good, but we couldn't get in a second time.
Many reviews have noted a smell on all parts of the resort. We caught it at the back of the suites, but it is much worse on the Cofressi side. There has always been a smell near VIP world, they seemed to have fixed it a few years ago but it's back and spreading. We caught it a lot on the terrace at VIP tower. Possibly the amount of new building not taking into account of inadequate drainage. I hope it gets sorted soon but, knowing Lifestyles, I don't hold my breath.
We have stayed in the PS before and will do so again. It is our favourite area. Quiet if that's what you want and if you don't, there are plenty of places to have some fun.

2  Thank SeftonScouser
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Plata
The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
The Crown Villas at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
The Residence Suites at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Presidential Suites - Punta Cana
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only

Been to Presidential Suites A Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort? Share your experiences!