“Caribbean Golfers Paridise”

Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in La Romana
Reviewed 28 January 2012

After hearing about the Famous Teeth of the Dog for many years I finally got the opportunity to play this January (2012), and it was entirely worth the wait. The holes along the Ocean are jaw dropping good, and the course was in great condition for all 7 rounds i played there. The Dye Fore track also had some stunning views but i would avoid the new 9 for now if possible. Many thanks to Gilles Gagnon for putting on a 1st class Pro-am that I won't forget anytime soon.
The resort itself was definitely 5 star all the way, having your own golf cart to motor around the property was insanely fun, but definitely required as the property is bigger than anything you've ever been to. The food was excellent, and the service was even better. The only thing I felt was missing from this property when I left was me :)-

Room Tip: Choose 2nd Floor or an Elite room if possible.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank golfeveryday

Reviewed 21 January 2012

This is the best there is!!!!!! The hotel was recently remodeled and looks fantastic! The food is 5 stars. The scenery is breathtaking whether at the golf course, the hotel rooms, the villas or the beach. If you want peace and calm there are so many things to do and if you want a crowd ask for the dates on local holidays and you will get nightlife and fun.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank anagrullon
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Just got back from a week in La Romana, Dominican Republic, where my 18 y/o son and I stayed at Casa De Campo. Everything was terrific. The food everywhere on the resort was very good, but we especially enjoyed breakfast and lunch daily at the Lagos Grill overlooking the 18th hole of the Teeth of the Dog GC. Everything at that gril was outstanding: the food, service, cleanliness, hospitality. Never felt rushed, always asked for "muy pequeno" on the coffee. All the workers there had us leaving with a smile every day. We stayed at the main hotel overlooking the driving range...it was immaculate, the service was terrific and everyone was very cordial. Both the DyeFore as well as the Teeth of th Dog course were outstanding. We both enjoyed the Teeth the most of the two. Our caddy the whole trip, Hector Sanatana, was a great guy w/a good sense of humor...he knew his stuff and when we followed his suggestion on the greens, our games improved. A few things of note on the downside: I wish we had known about the blue ray player in the room because we would have gladly brought our own blue ray movies to watch since the "library" of movies at the front desk was pitifully limited to about 6 selections...none of which were recent. The hotel would do well to update it's library to accommodate it's clientelle. The other thing is that I had a hard time breaking up large US currency. I found it hard to believe that the front desk could not break up a $100 bill first thing in the morning. I wanted $5's and $10's to tip the staff, but was forced to come back later for said denominations. We also realized that the week were there must have been an "off" week since we noticed that when there was a crowd the service in one restaurant suffered dramatically. We were in La Cana one night and ordered the chocolate fondue cake..but it came out later than the "expect to wait 20 minutes" time frame noted on the menu. It also came out without the fondue chocolate filling. When we brought this to the attention of the head waiter...he just nodded and walked away. There was no apology, no offer of another correctly prepared...nothing...and that was a busy night there. Word to the wise would be to visit during an off time...and not settle for a nod and absentminded forgetfullness on anyone's part. Overall the stay was outstanding...the food well prepared and the service exceptional. Enjoy...and be generous for good service!

Room Tip: Be sure to get a 2nd floor room since all the golf carts will probably make quite a racket.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank jdnugent
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We go to Casa every year, and have fallen in love with it. We are getting ready to return, and we can't wait to get there. The people are amazing, the food is delicious, and the resort is
magnificent. The women are all beach lovers, and we take full advantage of the beach, while the husbands are playing on three of the greatest golf courses in the Caribbean.
If you like to relax, play golf, tennis, horseback ride, and just enjoy life, this is the place for you.
Maybe I shouldn't be telling everyone....it's so peaceful there right now!!

Room Tip: Most times we rent a house, but the casitas are beautiful. If traveling with a group, look into th...
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TravelorPhila_Pa
Reviewed 3 January 2012

I hope this review will be very helpful. Please read it until the end ! My goal is not to trash the property at all, but I do want to be honest and "keep it real". First, the golf....I have heard about "teeth of the dog" forever. It is supposed to be the Best of the Carribean. Not a chance. This is a golf course that is living on its past accolades and glory without a doubt. Yes, there are some water holes on the Sea that are beautiful but the inland holes are OK and you could be golfing anywhere once you leave the water holes. Also, the course is not well manicured. If you are already booked to go, play the Dye Fore course at Casa. In my opinion, a much better course from start to finish. There are three nines now at Dye Fore. Try to play the Chavon nine and the Marina nine. If they put you on the Lagos nine for one of your nines , don't despair. It is only three months old and needs to mature, but there is nothing wrong with that nine at all. The Beach at the Resort....yes, it is tiny and was a mob scene, a la Coney Island. Just be warned. The real kicker in my book (and that of my eight fellow travelers ) was that the food was MEDIOCRE everywhere at Casa at best. I was stunned by that and for that reason alone , we would not go back.

Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
32  Thank Bosox02
casaguestmanager, Owner at Casa de Campo Resort & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2012

We want to thank to you, for genuine feedback and are truly sorry your trip to Casa de Campo did not meet your expectations. We know how greatly anticipated vacations are and take great pride in presenting the vacation you can expect at our hotel in an honest light, so you will not be disappointed. With regards to the quality of golf we are very proud of our Pete Dye designed courses – however please note, the ranking of our courses have been bestowed by outside professionals in the fields of golf and travel industry based upon the experiences of their readers, writers and client experiences. With over 32,400 golf courses around the world, the Teeth of the Dog was recently ranked #47 in the world on Golf Magazine’s list of the Top 100 Courses in the World (Sept. 2011 issue) and has consistently been ranked on this prestigious list since it began. Additionally Golf Digest and Golf Week also have rank golf at Casa de Campo among the best; and travel agents around the globe have ranked Casa de Campo as the World’s Leading Golf Resort for the last four consecutive years. We saw you and your friends / family recently visited in Dec. 2011. While you were at our resort, our inland Links course was closed as Pete Dye has been totally renovating this course since it closed in May 2011. I am pleased to inform you the Links will re-open as an all new 18-hole course in mid-March 2012.

With regards to the cuisine, Casa de Campo has six resort restaurants on the inclusive plan; two of them whose chefs come direct from the internationally recognized Maccioni Family restaurants (Le Cirque & Il Circo). Additionally Casa de Campo has been acknowledged for its high standard Food & Beverages cuisine and service by representatives of Cristal Consulting and by is constantly monitored by their representatives with unannounced visits to our resort.

At last with regards to our beach experience. When any guest schedules a vacation to island in the Caribbean, no doubt a quality beach experience is important – and to ensure our guests have just that, you will see Casa de Campo has four beach experiences on our website that our guests can choose from: the beautiful private Minitas Beach located within the resort and a golf cart ride away from your room or villa; and for ½ day or full day excursions there is Catalina Island, Saona Island and the very unique an my personal favorite: Palmilla Beach!

Again, I truly thank you for your comments and hope you might reconsider a return visit to Casa de Camp in the future. But until then, please know we wish for you and your friends and family only wonderful travel adventures and experiences!

Reviewed 29 December 2011

I have now visited Casa De Campo 3 times in the last year, each time I have a hard time leaving. The hospitality is fantastic, the hotel has been remodeled and is top notch, combine those with great food and unbielvable golf and you have Casa De Campo in a nut shell. The relaxed island atmosphere and charming staff are always there to help. If you are a fan of golf like I am, it will not disappoint. They offer some of the most spectacular golf holes you will play anywhere in the world. It is not typical resort golf (pitch and putt), the Teeth of the Dog and Dye Fore are true Championship Golf Courses. They are all you want from suggested tees and the tips can make for a long day even for the best of players. On our first trip (last December) my friends and I looked into staying in a private villa on property instead of booking through the hotel. When we looked at the overall value, it was a much better deal to stay with the hotel, mostly due to the higher golf rates. If you are a golf nut, there is a substantial difference. There are lots of other great things to do as well, horseback riding, relaxing at the beach, hitting the spa or relaxing poolside.
P.S. I am compelled to share a few comments regarding the post from "SeaPinesMiserable". I was unfortunate enough to witness this gentlemen's behavior firsthand. To say his point of view of the situation is out of touch would be an understatement. His threatening, profanity filled tirade was a stark reminder of why I was there... to get away from it all. The staff handled his brutish, childlike behvior with class. True golf is $300 for 18 holes if you don't stay at the hotel, his sticker shock could have easily been handled by making a tee time in advance (which is customary golf etiquette) and making arrangements directly with the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for an Elite Room, 2nd level, very nicely appointed with vaulted ceilings
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jon A
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Our family rented a villa back in January 2004 I think and it was wonderful. I can't tell you how much I loved having someone come in and cook us breakfast in our villa kitchen every morning. My father enjoyed the golf course, which was the reason we booked here in the first place. My husband and I enjoyed the scenery from the golf cart and singing songs serenaded to us at dinner. I also had a massage at their spa which was not too expensive and very relaxing. It is a beautiful place and we plan on returning, and there will be breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana
Barcelo Bavaro Palace
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real

Been to Casa de Campo Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!