“This is gonna be a long one...”

Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in La Romana
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

So my wife and my 4 yr old and I stayed here from thursday to Monday. My travel agent wasn't very helpful seeing as All of May and 1st week of June are Rain season in DR. Not all day but enough. The meal plan is necessary because this is not a regular resort, meaning not BAVARO beach--- this is a more quiet rich people resort atmosphere. So every time we ate we had to sign a bill even though meal plan is paid!.. Golf carts are necessary seeing as this place is enormous. Fun but kind of scary driving on main roads with cars and buses. The beach is perfect but 10 minutes from hotel room by golf cart. And marina is great as well but another 10 minutes from beach. The room is not up to our standards and certainly not worth the $587 per night- minibar not included and crap coffee. 80's decor( mahogany)
And a view of a lawn no less! Horrible.......NO HOT TUB.......
La Caña restaurant had the better food on the grounds. Only one place to eat breakfast Lago grill- gross food. My wife is glutenFree, don't be gluten free when you come here, they don't know what that is. If you don't get meal plan, you will go broke! No exaggeration!
Next is Alto De Chavon- i was seriously impressed until i realized it was built in the 80's and not the 15th century. what a waste of my time- such a tourist gimmick.
I am a 10 handicap and play golf everywhere- the links course is now one of my all time favorites, if you can stand hurricane force winds and greens rolling at 14! The teeth of the DOG was too expensive. The golf courses here are absolutely pristine! Caddie sucked though and only required on the DOG so don't waste more money.
The pool could've been cleaner, the kiddie pool was gross. You need to show a room card for towels and when you eat or drink! Also, the shuttle doesn't go to the beach so when i was done golfing i couldn't get there because my wife had the cart at the beach already. No shops on grounds worth perusing.
Beautiful grounds but most of DR is- so do yourselves a favor and stay at Barcelo Beach in punta cana. You will thank me! Ciao

Stayed: May 2014
6  Thank Andrew E
casaguestmanager, Director General at Casa de Campo Resort & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2016

Dear Andrew,

Greetings from Casa!

Thank you so much for coming to Casa de Campo to celebrate your vacation and for letting us know about your experience.

We lament that our services and facilities did not meet your expectations; we have passed your concerns to the departments involved in order to improve these areas and no repeating similar situations in the future.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again at Casa and change your perspective about our hotel.

Best Regards,

Daniel Hernandez
General Director
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

The is the second time I have been to casa de campo. The place was fantastic. Rooms were as nice as the four seasons I have stayed at. The golf course is one of the nicest I have ever played I would say it compares to pebble beach. There were 7 holes on the ocean with great views. Each room come with a golf cart and is a lot of fun driving around the resort. The food was good but not the best. I would of liked to see a little more variety. We did the all inclusive and it was great. Very expensive if you do not do the all inclusive. The spa was top notch also. Would recommend this place for anyone! It is better to fly into la romana if possible airport is 10 minutes from resort and vey easy to get in and out of

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Billrftw
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We spent 7 days in Casa de Campo during the spring break this year. Travellers are two adults and one teenager boy. The resort is huge, they give you a golf cart to go around. There are so many things to do within the resort, and we didn't need to do excursion. We enjoyed golfing at the Teeth of the Dog and Dye Fore. My son loved shooting, horse back ride, boating, snorkling...I have to make a special comment on the food - they are not regular resort food. They are superb gourmet food. We did all inclusive - I highly recommend it, because the cost of food and drink is expensive. We tried all the restaurants covered by the hotel. My rating would be: for lunch - go to the Beach Club. For dinner, I enjoyed La Piazzetta in Altos de Charvon the best - we sat outside overlook the water and the food was fabulous! We also liked the dinner at the Beach Club and La Cana very much. I would go to the Chinois for lunch, but not for dinner. Lago Grill where they serve buffet breakfast and lunch is also very good and quick. La Marina is nice to see, but Altos de charvon is the must see! Overall, we had a great vacation. There are families bringing younger children. For me, if I have little kids, I would take them to other resorts that are smaller, just because it is easier to get around. You do need to drive about 10 minutes on golf cart to get to the beach in Casa de Campo. But for adults or with teenager kids, Casa de Campo would be a great place to go. Another comment - their staff is so wonderful and friendly and always helpful. Thank you to the Casa de Campo staff for a wonderful vacation.

Room Tip: You would get a better view if you are on the second floor than the 1st floor. 1st floor could also...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank JulianaPhiladelphia
casaguestmanager, Manager at Casa de Campo Resort & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Thank you for sharing your recent stay in Casa , we are glad to hear you and your family had such an amazing time. You were truly able to explore our entire property and enjoy Casa de Campo's "The Sporting Life" experience with all the sports we have to offer.

On behalf of our entire staff we would like to thank you for your kind words and we hope you and your family visit us again as you are already part of our family.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Stayed here in February 2014, and the accommodations , food, and service were very good. Played all three golf courses more than once, and can say without a doubt, this is the best golf resort I have ever been to. Will return next year with my friends...great weather, golf, and facility!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank jfkdeuce
Reviewed 1 April 2014

In February, my husband and I had the pleasure of staying here for a week. The hotel room was spacious, and the beds were wonderfully comfortable. During the day we spent many hours by the pool. The service at the swim up bar seemed good, however, the food and drink service around the pool was incredibly slow. The cocktails were delicious once you got them though! The food at all the restaurants we ate at were fabulous, including the cheese pizza I ordered on the beach. The resort is very large, so it was nice they give you a golf cart during your stay. I found that the terrain is very up and down, and would not be good for people that use a cane, walker, or wheel chair. (My mother is handicapped, so I pay very close attention to details like this.) This was a great resort and vacation.! I would highly recommend the Dominican Republic and Casa de Campo to anyone that does not need assistance walking.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Joanne069
casaguestmanager, Manager at Casa de Campo Resort & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

We would like to thank you for the time you took to write this review. We are glad to hear our rooms, food and drinks met your expectations. We will send your concerns regarding handicap accessibility to the appropriate department. However we do have rooms that are handicapped accessible with special bathroom and room spacing, our main area and restaurants have ramp making access easier. On behalf of our entire staff we would like to thank you and hope you visit us again soon.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Casa de Campo is a large private home development. There are a set of hotel rooms and villas near one of the golf courses. Distances are large: 2 miles to the beach from the hotel and 4 to the Marina. They give you a golf cart (you could also have a rental car). They have a shuttle as well, which we used at night. The beach is so-so. Shallow, rocky and full of seaweed on the bottom.
Marina has some nice shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2014

One of my friends was getting married at the DR in one of the Casa de Campo luxury homes. My husband and I decided to get there 4 days before everyone else arrive and stay at the actual hotel and make a nice vacation out of it.
I give the property 5 stars at any time. Beautiful homes, great golf courses, nice spa. The hotel is average. For the price you pay you get a basic room with no special amenities. The room walls are paper thin. There was someone in the room next door to us and we could hear them talking 24/7 and the hotel did not do much about it. I even went next door and very nice ask them to keep it down at least until 9am and they basically laughed at my face. The hotel staff (excluding restaurant personal) were very dry and almost unhelpful. Whatever you ask its almost "why are you asking this".
The entire property is beautiful no question about it. Its romantic and relaxing. Not so much of a family or I should say young kids friendly cause there is not much for the kids to do beside play at the beach.
The food is not so good. They need a lot of improvement on the menu and the food quality was very average. There are three restaurants at the marina which are not part of the hotel and they have nicer menu and better quality food as well.
If you like cigars and don't mind paying premium price the cigar shop at the marina has perfect selections.

Room Tip: Stay at private villas instead of the hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cukinadzakova
casaguestmanager, Manager at Casa de Campo Resort & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank you for sharing your vacation experience with us, we are sorry to hear they were not what you expected. We are surprised to hear you believe the resort is not family oriented as we have a great family program for kids 1-17 years old and we’ve just been recognized as Preferred Family Hotel by Preferred Hotel Group.

Your personnel and dining experience will be taking under serious consideration; we hope at some point you consider visiting us again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near La Romana
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana
Barcelo Bavaro Palace
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real

Been to Casa de Campo Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!