“I'm in love!”

Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in La Romana
Briarcliff Manor, New York
“I'm in love!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

My husband booked a last minute trip here for our honeymoon in December. I came here without knowing what to expect but was pleasantly surprised! We drove here from Santo Domingo airport.The property is beautiful, meticulously maintained and huge! You are given a golf cart to move around. Every day we would drive to different part of the resort and explore. We booked the all inclusive plan, which is pricey, but absolutely first class! The staff know that we were there for our honeymoon, we were treated with a private dining cabana by the beach and serenaded by a guitar singing trio. It was most beautiful and romantic!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank iamjaneli

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Levittown, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Went to Casa de Campo with my husband and 4 year old son 5/8-5/12. We had "won" the hotel stay from a raffle prize... This included the hotel only, and we had to pay for our flight and meal plan. First off, our travel agent from JetBlue Getaways (Danielle Radzinsky) was the absolute worst. The few times we called her to ask questions her toddler was screaming in the background and she was never available, and very slow to answer emails (if she answered them)...We never had confirmation of my husband's golf times from her, (which were supposedly cheaper if we pre-booked them through her). She was rude when explaining about the meal plan, which cost a fortune, and seemed annoyed that I was asking about it. She also left out some information that a travel agent should know - like all of things that I am about to complain about, and, she said she had been there herself with her own child, so she knew about them first hand.

Arrival to hotel was easy enough, check in was smooth. We were told that although we had the "meal plan", it didn't include top shelf liquor (which the meal plan states it does). Our first meal was at the Lago Grill, which is the only place to eat breakfast. The buffet style cafeteria slop was really gross... and certainly not worth the $97 the bill came to. Even if you are on a meal plan, you have to get a check from every restaurant and sign it... a little unnerving when you paid for a meal plan and you don't know if you are now going to get charged, and really, an inconvenience, b/c you have to give them your room key, even at the pool or the beach, so they can check you out. Also, every single meal is subject to a 16% gratuity... highway robbery when you see the prices...but they give you the check to sign b/c they want you to add even more gratuity on!!! The only restaurants worth eating at (on the meal plan) were La Cana and Las Casitas... however you would've thought fresh fish would have been fresh... the "catch of the day" grouper was clearly frozen. I'm not impressed. I have a gluten intolerance, and even in explaining it to the servers in spanish they didn't understand what that meant. I was sick after most of my meals.

The grounds are very pretty, but you have to drive a golf cart, on a main road with speeding cars, buses and maintenance crew, to get to the beach (a 10 min golf cart ride) or the marina (a 20 min golf cart ride). If you go to Los Altos (which is built in 1980's so don't be so impressed by the "15th century architecture"), it's at least 25-30 min by golf cart. Our room had a view of a lawn (not even the golf course) and was very 1980s style decor... the floor seemed dirty, and there were dead bugs by the sliding doors to the balcony. We saw a fumagador truck a few times, so clearly they have a pest control problem.

Housekeeping came to the room to do turn down service at 9pm. Maybe I'm not cool enough, but on a family vacation with my 4 year old, we are already in for the night at 9. They didn't even knock, they just tried to come right in, the dead bolt on the door lock stopped her, but woke me up, so I realized what happened...

nothing in the minibar was included on the meal plan, and when we had to open a bottle of water, it cost $10.

The pool was not very clean, the kiddie pool always had bugs and leaves floating in it. The floor around the pool (some kind of slate I guess) was always slippery and both my son and myself almost broke our heads slipping... you have to show a room card just to get towels, and at the beach they right your room number and name down when you take towels and it said on the top of the sheet "subject to $750 fine if you don't return them"... except no one was there when we returned them!

In my opinion, for such a "fancy" place, they could've done better. I never felt like I could just relax and forget about things... always signing bills or worrying about what's not included and what we're going to get charged for.

We would suggest you save $$ and go to Barcelo Bavaro, where you can truly feel pampered and on vacation. This place just tries to milk you for more money wherever they can.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Melissa E
casaguestmanager, Director General at Casa de Campo Resort & Villas, responded to this review, 27 June 2016
Greetings from Casa

Greetings from Casa de Campo La Romana!!!

Allow us to express our most sincere gratitude to you for coming to Casa de Campo to spend your vacation and for letting us know about your stay.

At Casa de Campo we take the opinion of our guest as the most important tool to improve our areas and provide a better service.

We reiterate our gratitude and hope you can give the opportunity to change your perspective about some of our services and facilities.

Best Regards,

Daniel Hernandez
General Director

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

So my wife and my 4 yr old and I stayed here from thursday to Monday. My travel agent wasn't very helpful seeing as All of May and 1st week of June are Rain season in DR. Not all day but enough. The meal plan is necessary because this is not a regular resort, meaning not BAVARO beach--- this is a more quiet rich people resort atmosphere. So every time we ate we had to sign a bill even though meal plan is paid!.. Golf carts are necessary seeing as this place is enormous. Fun but kind of scary driving on main roads with cars and buses. The beach is perfect but 10 minutes from hotel room by golf cart. And marina is great as well but another 10 minutes from beach. The room is not up to our standards and certainly not worth the $587 per night- minibar not included and crap coffee. 80's decor( mahogany)
And a view of a lawn no less! Horrible.......NO HOT TUB.......
La Caña restaurant had the better food on the grounds. Only one place to eat breakfast Lago grill- gross food. My wife is glutenFree, don't be gluten free when you come here, they don't know what that is. If you don't get meal plan, you will go broke! No exaggeration!
Next is Alto De Chavon- i was seriously impressed until i realized it was built in the 80's and not the 15th century. what a waste of my time- such a tourist gimmick.
I am a 10 handicap and play golf everywhere- the links course is now one of my all time favorites, if you can stand hurricane force winds and greens rolling at 14! The teeth of the DOG was too expensive. The golf courses here are absolutely pristine! Caddie sucked though and only required on the DOG so don't waste more money.
The pool could've been cleaner, the kiddie pool was gross. You need to show a room card for towels and when you eat or drink! Also, the shuttle doesn't go to the beach so when i was done golfing i couldn't get there because my wife had the cart at the beach already. No shops on grounds worth perusing.
Beautiful grounds but most of DR is- so do yourselves a favor and stay at Barcelo Beach in punta cana. You will thank me! Ciao

Stayed May 2014
6 Thank Andrew E
casaguestmanager, Director General at Casa de Campo Resort & Villas, responded to this review, 2 September 2016
Dear Andrew,

Greetings from Casa!

Thank you so much for coming to Casa de Campo to celebrate your vacation and for letting us know about your experience.

We lament that our services and facilities did not meet your expectations; we have passed your concerns to the departments involved in order to improve these areas and no repeating similar situations in the future.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again at Casa and change your perspective about our hotel.

Best Regards,

Daniel Hernandez
General Director
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

The is the second time I have been to casa de campo. The place was fantastic. Rooms were as nice as the four seasons I have stayed at. The golf course is one of the nicest I have ever played I would say it compares to pebble beach. There were 7 holes on the ocean with great views. Each room come with a golf cart and is a lot of fun driving around the resort. The food was good but not the best. I would of liked to see a little more variety. We did the all inclusive and it was great. Very expensive if you do not do the all inclusive. The spa was top notch also. Would recommend this place for anyone! It is better to fly into la romana if possible airport is 10 minutes from resort and vey easy to get in and out of

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Billrftw
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

We spent 7 days in Casa de Campo during the spring break this year. Travellers are two adults and one teenager boy. The resort is huge, they give you a golf cart to go around. There are so many things to do within the resort, and we didn't need to do excursion. We enjoyed golfing at the Teeth of the Dog and Dye Fore. My son loved shooting, horse back ride, boating, snorkling...I have to make a special comment on the food - they are not regular resort food. They are superb gourmet food. We did all inclusive - I highly recommend it, because the cost of food and drink is expensive. We tried all the restaurants covered by the hotel. My rating would be: for lunch - go to the Beach Club. For dinner, I enjoyed La Piazzetta in Altos de Charvon the best - we sat outside overlook the water and the food was fabulous! We also liked the dinner at the Beach Club and La Cana very much. I would go to the Chinois for lunch, but not for dinner. Lago Grill where they serve buffet breakfast and lunch is also very good and quick. La Marina is nice to see, but Altos de charvon is the must see! Overall, we had a great vacation. There are families bringing younger children. For me, if I have little kids, I would take them to other resorts that are smaller, just because it is easier to get around. You do need to drive about 10 minutes on golf cart to get to the beach in Casa de Campo. But for adults or with teenager kids, Casa de Campo would be a great place to go. Another comment - their staff is so wonderful and friendly and always helpful. Thank you to the Casa de Campo staff for a wonderful vacation.

Room Tip: You would get a better view if you are on the second floor than the 1st floor. 1st floor could also...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank JulianaPhiladelphia
casaguestmanager, Manager at Casa de Campo Resort & Villas, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent stay in Casa , we are glad to hear you and your family had such an amazing time. You were truly able to explore our entire property and enjoy Casa de Campo's "The Sporting Life" experience with all the sports we have to offer.

On behalf of our entire staff we would like to thank you for your kind words and we hope you and your family visit us again as you are already part of our family.
Sylvania, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

Stayed here in February 2014, and the accommodations , food, and service were very good. Played all three golf courses more than once, and can say without a doubt, this is the best golf resort I have ever been to. Will return next year with my friends...great weather, golf, and facility!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank jfkdeuce
Billings, MT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

In February, my husband and I had the pleasure of staying here for a week. The hotel room was spacious, and the beds were wonderfully comfortable. During the day we spent many hours by the pool. The service at the swim up bar seemed good, however, the food and drink service around the pool was incredibly slow. The cocktails were delicious once you got them though! The food at all the restaurants we ate at were fabulous, including the cheese pizza I ordered on the beach. The resort is very large, so it was nice they give you a golf cart during your stay. I found that the terrain is very up and down, and would not be good for people that use a cane, walker, or wheel chair. (My mother is handicapped, so I pay very close attention to details like this.) This was a great resort and vacation.! I would highly recommend the Dominican Republic and Casa de Campo to anyone that does not need assistance walking.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Joanne069
casaguestmanager, Manager at Casa de Campo Resort & Villas, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
We would like to thank you for the time you took to write this review. We are glad to hear our rooms, food and drinks met your expectations. We will send your concerns regarding handicap accessibility to the appropriate department. However we do have rooms that are handicapped accessible with special bathroom and room spacing, our main area and restaurants have ramp making access easier. On behalf of our entire staff we would like to thank you and hope you visit us again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Romana
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Now Larimar Punta Cana
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real
Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa

Been to Casa de Campo Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!