“very disappointed, won't be going back....”

Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in La Romana
Connecticut
“very disappointed, won't be going back....”
Reviewed 20 May 2005

Having read through all the reviews and spotting this resort in T&L, I thought this would be a no brainer. We were sadly disappointed after arriving. Our rooms were not ready for 2 hours after check in time. The pool at the main hotel had garbage floating in it from the swim up bar. The service was non existant. We had a mouse in our room (never get a ground level room) and we called the front desk at midnight and were assured someone would be "right down". Called an hour later, still no one showed. Called at 7:30am the following morning when someone came and said "no mouse". 4 nights later, we awoke to my daughter screaming that there was a mouse in her bathroom. There were suppose to be events on the beach for the kids....no events. There is so much security around that you begin to wonder...why???? We had previously been to Turks and Caicos, the Atlantis, various resorts in Florida and had a great time while going with the flow of normal vacationing but I was truly disppointed with this resort. Spoke with other families who were staying in the villas (thought that might be the difference) and they said they wouldn't return either (altho they wanted to bring their maid/caregiver/butler home with them). Oh yes, and to top it off, two of us became sick the last two days and dined on Immodium....it was a long flight home! Just do your homework and maybe expect less so you won't be disappointed. Sorry for the down review but I wish someone had told us.

38 Thank Michele O
casaguestmanager, Director General at Casa de Campo Resort & Villas, responded to this review, 27 June 2016
Dear Steve,

Greetings from Casa.

Allow us to express our most sincere gratitude to you for coming to Casa de Campo to celebrate your vacation and for sending us your comment about your stay.

We feel very concern to know you were though this situation based that we have not have this issue before, we will be fallowing up your case with our management department in order to not repeat similar situation in the future.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again and change your opinions about some of our services.

Best Regards,

Daniel Hernandez
General Director

Casa de Campo Resort & Villas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
New jersey
Reviewed 1 May 2005

I just returned from Casa de Campo. I just loveeedd it. I went with my husband and 2 kids ages 3 and 7. Casa de Campo was perfect for my family. The rooms are very clean. The staff was excellent. Service at restaurants is very slow but I am used to dealing with that at other islands. New York is the only fast paced place. The pool was very big and nice. We did not go with the all inclusive because we were better off paying for everything ourselfs. Before going I read lots of reviews complaining about the prices of food, I found their prices similar to NY and NJ. The only expensive things on the menu was seafood but that's everywhere. For breakfast we paid $21 per person in the lagos grill buffet, for lunch I recommend Starei in altos de chavon, but call ahead since they close early if they dont get enough customers (starei is not part of the all inclusive). We paid $54 for a dinner for 2 adults and 2 kids. The tropicana restaurant at the hotel has the best churassco. We paid about $70 for dinner for all 4 of us. Stay away from Chinois restaurant in the Marina the food is horrible specially if you know New York restaurants chinese food. You can pay $100 for a trip to Old Santo Domingo. The trip is 1 1/2 hours long and you can stay there for 3 hours from the time you arrive to old Santo Domingo and $13 for every extra hour you stay there. We had a great driver Alexander Bello. I have his card so if anyone needs his information email me. The beach was not the best because there is lots of rocks in the water. You are better off getting a cab to take you to Bavaro Beach for $100 for 1 to 5 people so if you are with a group you can split it. Its also for 3 hours and the price is for round trip transp. Bavaro is in Punta Cana which is 1 hour away. If you want a nice vacation with the security of not being robbed go to Casa de Campo, only residents and visitor can get in to the property. I will go back every chance I get. If you want to party all night then go to Punta Cana.

17 Thank zaly
Reviewed 21 April 2005

Casa de Campo is a beautiful very large resort, definitely geared to the golf enthusiast. The courses are both challenging and well maintained. The rooms are large and very well maintained. But other areas of the resort need alot of improvment. The waiters and waitresses in the bars and most resturants have little to no interpersonal skills. The waitresses/ bartenders at the swim-up pool bar and in the Cana bar, give you the feeling that it is a hassle to wait on you, if they wait on you at all. I do not think I have ever seen any swim-up bar, at a major resort, empty like theirs. Not just one day, but for the 6 days I was there. This was due to their staff. At one time the barmaid was sitting on the floor, behind the bar, and very displeased when asked to make a drink. The group I was with went to the store, at the Marina, and bought what we wanted to drink, and took that to the pool, including water. If you are not all inclusive, CHECK YOUR BILL ! We always found mistakes and additional charges. You should also know enough Spanish to get by, with out it you will have problems. Also get the golf cart, you will need it to get around, the complex is masive.

• Stayed April 2005, travelled on business
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 April 2005

Casa de Campo is a beautiful property. It's truly a tropical paradise. The beach is small, but clean and the water is clear and blue. Renting a golf cart is essential. Rooms are far from the beach, marina, restaurants and other places you'll want to go.
The rooms, while spacious need to be remodeled. While the beds were clean, the rest of the room seemed dirty. There were small ants EVERYWHERE. On the toilet, in the shower, on the floor, by the sink. I have been to many other tropical resorts and have never had a problem with this. Maybe a bug here or there, but not like this. It was truly disgusting.
But, I tried to be out of the room as much as possible and I really enjoyed the resort. Teeth of the Dog was one of the most beautiful golf courses I have played on. Also, Peperoni at the marina was a wonderful restaurant. the shops at the marina were wonderful too.
The restaurant where they serve the breakfast buffet had flies EVERYWHERE and made me lose my appetite upon arrival. You are better off getting the continental breakfast from room service and eating outside on your terrace (which unlike the unlike the rest of my room was bug free).
Overall, I had a great time, but dreaded going back to my room every night.
One last tip, check your hotel bill carefully before leaving. I was charged wrongly for a few things. Make sure you leave yourself a lot of time to check out (it took me 2 hours) and everyone at the front desk checking out while I was there had bill issues too. I guess that's how that make a lot of money, by hoping rich tourists just glance at the bill, not really checking it carefully and paying whatever amount they say is owed.

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
fabfinds
Reviewed 10 April 2005

This was one of our best vacations yet! We were there Dec. 04 rented a private villa one minute from the beach. We had our own staff and pool and hanging out at the house was a big perk. Normally we are so anxious to leave the room but here it was a pleasure to stick around.

The beach is on the small side and is not anything that impressive but its a beach and has all the ususal water sports, beachside cafe etc........

The marina is fabulous........great but very $$$$ restaurants, although they are more on the casual side, expect to pay at least 250+ for a family of four, minimum. But great food overall, except thought Chinois was way overrated. GREAT atmosphere and fun people watching.

Loved Altos de Chavon, beautiful, unique, and nice restaurants. We loved the horsebackriding and TOP tennis facility. The golfing is fabulous, although I didn't do it, several in our party did and claimed to be some of the best golf they had ever had!!

Overall we LOVED this place and will return for sure. The one thing I will say is the hotel itself was not impressive and would not have appealed at all to me, so staying in the villas is the only way we will go. But its a huge huge spread out resort with loads to do. Even riding around on our golf carts was a blast!

15 Thank fabfinds
Tampa, FL
Reviewed 31 March 2005

This was a return golf trip for two couples, eight years later, for a week
starting March 12, 2005.
The rooms (luxury, not villas for us) and the grounds are still lovely, the three golf courses fantastic. The new Dye Fore is a "must play"--don't forget your camera.
We noticed the travel advisory recommending malaria pills. Never saw a mosquito or any other bug.
We suggest you skip the Tropicana Restaurant. At Altos de Chavon, we enjoyed excellent food at La Piazzetta and el Sombrero (be sure to buy the burro a beer!) At The Marina, Limoncello was also excellent.
Bring lots of small bills. Caddies and other golf attendants depend on tips.
It was impossible to get any change at the hotel ($40- in fives and ones just one time only). The caddies are recommended for the first time you play each of the golf courses.
Keep all of your charge receipts, and carefully check your final bill.
Between us, we had almost $600- is incorrect overcharges. We were warned about this before our trip by friends who had been there recently. They were right.
Be sure to pre-reserve a golf cart for travel around the resort. It really is necessary if your room is not near the lobby, besides being lots of fun. They seat four, but each couple needs one if they are going to transfer golf clubs to and from the room.
The ride to the beach is fairly long, but most enjoyable. You can even use the carts to go to The Marina (during daylight hours)! However, the resort has excellent free shuttle service to all points of interest, leaving from the main building. Very dependable after dark. Note that we felt safe and secure at all times.
The beach is very nice--the drinks are pricey and tiny.
Shopping is limited. Check out the "functional" art by Bibi Leon, Plaza Portofino #5 at the Marina. First check her web sites, can be purchased in the US if you don't want to carry it--and want to pay in US dollars without being slammed by currency converstions on your charge bills.
The weather was perfect, 80's every day, not a drop of rain. Casa de Campo is perfect for golf and relaxation.

9 Thank yagercat
Reviewed 27 February 2005

We just got back from Casa De Campo yesterday. We traveled with another family of four. All together we were four adults and four kids ranging from 12-17 years old. Fantastic trip!!!!

We stayed at a Villa, which I highly recommend. The villa contained four bedrooms, each with it's own bath. The main space of the Villa was approximately 40 feet square with a dinning area, living area and sitting areas. The center of the main room has a peaked ceiling, which goes up almost 30 feet. Two of the walls of this space are made of sliding glass doors which all open to a patio, swimming pool and Jacuzzi attached to the pool. Very private. The villa is set in a reasonably sized development containing 60 other Villas of the same style. These units were not particularly close to any other unit which gave my son and I a great deal space to throw a baseball around on the lawn. There are many other similar developments through out the property. Televisions were in every room together with a sound system in the main room. I was told by our cook (yes cook) that our unit is privately owned and rented out by Casa De Campo when the owners are not using it. Our package included breakfast at the Villa, which was prepared by Freddy, our cook each morning. Very well done. Our Villa came with two 4 person golf carts which our kids drove extensively and was probably the highlight of the trip for them.

Regarding the package. I am aware of two options, all-inclusive and basic which only includes breakfast. We chose basic, and let me explain why. The all-inclusive package included lunch and dinner at any of the Casa De Campo restaurants, all you can drink and most of the activities other than golf (horseback riding, water sports, etc…) You can sign up for the all inclusive package at any time as far as I know. Each day runs from about 3:00 in the afternoon through the next day. I have seen a lot of comments that food is very expensive as being a reason for taking the package. I guess it depends on where you are coming from. I live in the New York Metropolitan area and did not find the prices out of line. Dinner for 8 as described above was $250.00 - $300.00. Lunch was usually under $200.00. Twice the kids had Pizza and hamburgers and loved it. The all-inclusive package for a family of four during peak season will run you about $500.00/day. We ended up spending a little more than half of that.

Also, staying in the Villa means that when you are not at the beach/golf/horseback riding/pool you can lounge at “home”. I would suggest that you go to the grocery store at Marina de Chavon and pick up some wine (very nice liquor store) or beer and other snacks. If you think you will max out on activities, then you may want to go for the package. We didn’t go over board on activities (no particular reason) and spent only a moderate amount of time at the beach bar. (I also suggest that you make a purchase at the duty free shop on your way down and drink at the Villa. Remember this is not a hotel room; you will actually want to spend time there. )

All of the restaurants were excellent. Italian and Mexican at Altos De Chavon – the views are wonderful. Chinese and Italian at Marian De Chavon. We had lunch at the beach every day, which ranged from a very nice cold mixed seafood salad to pizza – thin crust.

Obviously if you golf, you will be in heaven. I do, but didn’t go farther than the driving range and was more than happy.

This was a wonderful relaxing vacation. I highly recommend it and would love to go back.

50 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana
Paradisus Punta Cana Resort
Paradisus Punta Cana Resort
#26 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Casa de Campo Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!