“Second Visit-Even More Awesomer!!!!!”
Review of TRS Turquesa Hotel

TRS Turquesa Hotel
Ranked #46 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto, Canada
“Second Visit-Even More Awesomer!!!!!”
Reviewed 25 December 2011

Ok, I know Awesomer is not a word, but this resort deserves so much praise!

My husband and I visited this beautiful resort for the second time in Dec/11. We enjoyed it even more the second time. Upon checkin, we really wanted to upgrade to a Swim up Suite, but unfortunately for us there were none available. We were upgraded free of charge from a Jr Deluxe to a Deluxe Suite. It was absolutely beautiful and quite large. We stayed there for the first 3 nights, then we moved to our Swim up. It was hard to leave our first Suite, but we had our hearts set on a Swim up and were so happy to have it for the remainder of our Vacation. (Thank you Maximo). We had fabulous weather the whole week except for one afternoon of rain. We spent every day on the beach and enjoyed our Swim up for the late afternoons. It was like having our own Suite with our own private pool-that's how special it was.

We enjoyed all our dinners. We ate at the French or the Royal Gourmet. The food was great last year and even better this year. If they would only dim the lights it would make the ambiance that much more romantic.

All the servers are very attentive at all the bars and restaurants. Delores and Tomas are 2 very special people. It was welcoming to be remembered by some of the staff. Our maid was very thorough. (I wish I could remember her name). She always had a beautiful smile. The fridge stocker was awesome-he made sure we were stocked with MGD after my husband's first request. Melky was our first butler and she was very accommodating. I don't recall our second butler's name-we only saw him at his desk one evening. All the staff are so dedicated and hard working-they so deserve tips. Please don't forget to bring lots of $$ for them!!

We are in the midst of planning our Spring/12 Vacation and are leaning towards RST again.

Do not hesitate-just book it. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
18 Thank MariaandG

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,083)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Swim...Up...Suite.

Had it not been for the swim up suite, I'm not sure how much I'd have liked this resort. The swim up suite has pretty much ruined me for all other resort experiences. If it's at all within your power or budget, do book a swim up suite-they are fantastic!

We stayed in building 58, room 5808 and I was pretty pleased with this location. This particular room had only afternoon sun, so from about 2pm onward we had full sun. There were a few rooms that did not get sun at any point in the day because they are tucked away in the corner of the building. The room itself was nice enough and certainly spacious. My comments about the room are essentially the same that I had for the resort overall--there needs to be more attention to detail. When we arrived it almost seemed like they hadn't been prepared for anyone to take this room. There were only two towels and they are left over by the jacuzzi, not the shower. There were scuff marks on the walls that could have easily been scrubbed off. The iPod dock didn't have any batteries in it. The minibar had one Diet Coke and NO WATER. I understand they do fill it to your wishes during your stay, but in a place where you can't drink the tap water, they should have had a few bottles of water already in the room. The orientation we got from the butler was perfunctory at best. For example, when asked where we could go for buffets his answer over and over was the Royal Gourmet. While the Royal Gourmet does indeed have a small buffet area, he did not mention any of the many other buffet style restaurants within the resort which would have been helpful. All of these are really minor things though and did not pose any problems. Going in, I had read a lot of reviews and so my expectations were set that there may be some very minor inconveniences. If, however, you are someone who needs perfection or faultless service, you would likely be disappointed here.

We spent a lot of time by our pool and only went to the beach once. Folks rave about the beaches in DR and compared to some of the places we've gone in Mexico (Isla Mujeres, Playa Maroma, Tulum), this just did not compare. Yes, you can walk very far, but the water was very rough when we were there and just not all that appealing. It reminded me much more of Cancun, but perhaps we just hit a rough patch.

Having spent a lot of time at our pool, we did order room service a few times. One time it did not come, another time the food was a little off, but overall, it's a nice option to have. The food at the rest of the resort was great. We mostly ate at Las Torres buffet, but we went to Behique and El Bohio for their buffets as well. I preferred Behique or El Bohio. El Bohio was fine, but seemed a bit less polished than some of the other spots. The wait staff in Las Torres got to know our preferred drinks pretty quickly and provided awesome service.

Speaking of service, the drink service by the swim out suites was awesome. Staff was regularly coming by to see if we wanted anything. The only minor drawback is that some of them would walk around the ledges of the pool to get to your deck while others would wait on the other side of the pool, so you might have to jump in to get your drink.

We did not go to any of the shows or the casino, but we did take the train around the property and that was fun if just for the novelty of it. I attempted to check out the spa facilities one day, but it was impossible to get a chair so I just looked around and left as it was just not very enticing. They have a couple of hot tubs, a sauna and steam room that you can use for free, but I would suggest perhaps going in non-peak times so that you can snag a chair.

Overall, this was one of the best trips we have taken and I attribute that almost entirely to the swim up suite. It was so nice to be able to open the patio door, take a few steps and jump in the pool! We will definitely be going back to RST!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
12 Thank cokier
On
Reviewed 19 December 2011

This was our 7th trip to the GP in PC ( 11th GP trip) flight was uneventful. arrival at the airport however was markedly different then what we have experienced in the past. First the line though customs was so slow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was as if they were looking for someone! next after we got our baggage we were flagged to have our baggage searched! thankfully they only looked through my carry on ( which had no red flags) as our other luggage had gifts for staff and donations that would be over the limit allowed on such items. When we

arrived at the resort and received room 5709, lovey swim out suite with morning sun! thank you GP!

since we arrived around 3pm we left our stuff in the room and headed to the main pool bar ( DH must say hi to Danny before his shift ends at 5 pm) it is so welcoming when the staff all remember you! so we hung out at the main pool bar until the day staff left and then we made it into the lobby and surprised Migulina! and were greeted with hugs and kisses. We also then met Margarita ( as she tells it not the drink LOL) next we headed off for dinner at the RG and had lobster of course!

since we had no excursions planned we mostly hung out around the royal, venturing to the other sections to take pictures of the construction areas and the areas we had not seen before like the logo shop, We
had coffee with Octavio on Friday, so nice to meet up with him again! most of 0ur days were spent relaxing, we did skip the tour rep orientation meeting on the Friday ( its when we met with Octavio) nasty rep called us the next morning at 7 am to reschedule!!!!!!!!????????????

one of the bar staff told us about this great ap for iphones, blackberrys and some other phones its called whats ap http://www.whatsapp.com/ what is neat abut it is that it works on wi fi and allows you to text and send pictures ect for free ( as far as I can see) I had kept the data turned off on my iphone while at the resort and we were able to text each other and DHs phone is pay as you go so he was able to check the usage and said he had no charges when he used the whats ap.

Dining:

we ate at the RG, mostly loved it although did have 1 dish that the shrimp were over cooked ( I am picky about that) Loved the outdoor dining area! esp since they now have sun shades, really made it much more enjoyable. Service, no complaints, top notch as always! oh and I have to mention the new crepe station, Just love love love it! I think they should offer made to order crepes at breakfast as well, it would be a nice diversion from eggs every morning.

Brazilian, great as usual

Japanese show table, good but as expected ( after having Tepenakki in Hawaii, everything else pales as they have many Japanese visitors it is more authentic )
still it was enjoyable as was the company.

Mediterranean , did not care for my first choice on the menu, second choice was wonderful as was the dessert

French, generally loved it, although my scallops were over cooked, I am sure it was more of a 1 of, as scallops are so easy to over cook

buffets, we did eat at El Bejque on Mexican night, and be forewarned, the spicy fajitas are spicy, I added jalapenos cause I do like spicy food and I was unable to finish it. other then that it was a great meal. Again the crepes were lovely! I did go into the buffet attached to the RG ( bathrooms are common) one morning and noted that they really both had the same items ( noted for those that are concerned that the RG wont have enough selection)

We also enjoyed lunch at El Bohio in the palace section, no complaints at all ( other then you cant take food out, wanted to take it back to the royal pool) and I did find vinegar for my fries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( its a Canadian/British thing)

people we met: had fun with Kev and Sue, so nice to hang out with people we know from before! met one fellow who had locked himself out on the balcony ( we saw it, ) bartender Ruben was the hero and got the couple recused, we did cause another couple to be rescued from being locked on their balcony but we never saw them after. PLEASE people in the older section of the RST dont go out on the balcony and close the doors completely as they will lock!

General observations

-the new kids club is going to be awesome!!!!!!!!! I feel it will make the PC section the place to be with kids !!!!!!!!!!!!

-the village of El Corecceto, the grocery store is closed, the cusi shop coffee is 3.50 $ us, los pinos has it for 5.00 us.
- the rum is half the price in the cusi shop as it is at the resort.
-palladium travel club personal, very persistent, and
annoying! if you are staying in the royal take note of where you sit, one breakfast we sat next to a table that was a palladium travel club rep and 2 people who took the free breakfast in the royal gourmet ( guests from another section), even though the rep was speaking in Spanish it really decreased the enjoyment of our breakfast to listen to his constant yammering on. While I understand why the resorts need the time share people heck even Disney has it) people that are not interested in it need not be hassled daily, I felt Like I needed a button that said " I already said no" still for us it was not really a big deal as we have been to the resort many times, but I can see how it could intimate first time visitors.

thats all except to say that we booked to go back!

all all and awesome trip, already booked for trip # 12!!!!!

pictures to be posted as soon as I finish labeling them

our most recent albums
http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff12 ... 0turquesa/

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff12 ... ?start=all

Image

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank sukie63on
Sudbury
Reviewed 17 December 2011

I have been to Punta Cana 11 times in the last 5 years. This is by far the best resort i've been too. If your seeing bad review, I think these people are hard to please. I've stayed with almost every chain of resort in Punta Cana and the Palladium TOPS them by far for the price. The Royal Suites are amazing If your looking to have the best service and be treated like a queen. Any of the other Palladiums are just as good.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank LisaShy
Corner Brook, Canada
Reviewed 7 December 2011

I've always meant to post a review of the resort since this forum was very helpful in choosing it in the first place. My wife and friends were there in March 2011 and had an excellent time!

Arrival:

Getting there is a bit of a pain in the bum...about 1.5 hours from off the plane to arrival at the resort on a crowded bus, but still fun as the excitement of arriving looms.

Checking in was very quick and easy. The employees spoke good English and as soon as we had our bracelets and key card there was an employee waiting to drive us to our room in a golf cart.

Room:

We had a swim up room that was a 2 minute walk from the main lobby, pool and beach! The room was awesome. Bar always stocked in the morning and again when the staff turned down the bed while we were out for dinner. The only negative was (and not a big deal because there were more fresh towels than you could possibly use) the stand up shower leaked onto the bathroom floor. But with a few extra towels laid out at the showers edge you were fine.

The swim ups are well worth the extra $$$! It is nice to go back there in the afternoon if the sun gets really hot and relax in the pool right outside your door. Nice and quiet and staff walks around and gets you drinks too!

The Resort:

The resort complex is enormous. There are four resorts on the complex under the Palladium flag. You can catch the train that drives around to all the lobbies or have one of the staff at the Royal drive you were you want to go on a golf cart.Royal guests are permitted to use all the resorts pools restaurants and bars, but the Royal is exclusive to its guests, so the are no children. Having kids myself this is nice because it is a vacation from all the running, yelling, and playing that I'm having a 7 day break from ;)

The first few days we were there the pool and ocean was a little on the cold side but this was because the wind was coming from an unusual direction for Punta Cana. As soon as it changed direction they both returned to bathtub warm. There is no towel game here just grab one by the pool and away you go! Take as many as you want as often as you want they will be there.
The beach was beautiful and always plenty of seats, lounger beds, etc.. The pool was a little more crowded for seating but we liked hanging out between the palm trees on the beach. The pool needed to be cleaned a little more often as there was a small area that film from everyone's sunscreen and whatever else seemed to collect. A little bit gross but once it was brought to their attention it was never a problem again. From the beach or pool you are never more than a few steps from the bathrooms which are nice and clean. The pool bar is always well stocked with whatever you like from bottled water to Scotch. A staff member is always walking the beach too if you don't feel like getting up to get a drink!!

The lobby has newspapers from most large cities available daily to read and 5 computers with high speed internet for use at no charge anytime, or if you bring a laptop there is wifi in the rooms. The lobby bar is stocked with a lot of high end booze which is nice for after supper.

Food:

No complaints. You won't have any trouble finding something that you like. We ate at the royal gourmet a lot. Especially breakfast. For the speciality restaurants it is first come first serve on the complex. Your butler (the guy or girl who sits at a desk in the lobby of the building your room is in) will make reservations for you, but there are a limited number per restaurant each day. We didn't eat at all of them and never thought "oh my god, what am I eating".

Entertainment:

The entertainment is the typical stuff you expect to find on vacation down south. We checked out a couple shows and that was enough for us.

Staff:

The staff was always very friendly and helpful. They always had a smile on their faces and always greeted you wherever you went with Hola! and a smile. Their English was passable for the most part and if it wasn't you could try Spanish. Either way if it wasn't working they would always go get someone who spoke better English. They never expected tips from us which was nice because it eliminates that uncomfortable moment afterwards. We tipped a few times throughout the week to the staff we dealt with and daily to our room maids.

Overall The Royal Suites was awesome! One of the couples we travelled with go south every year to a different place and they liked it so much that we both chose to return in March 2012! Can't wait to get back there in a few months!

Room Tip: Swim up near the lobby
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
17 Thank Rob36154963
Powassan, Canada
Reviewed 6 December 2011

A group of 28 of us went to this resort for a wedding on November 20-27th 2011. I would hardly say that this is a 5 star resort. Yes, the resort is beautiful with lush gardens, beautiful beaches, food was decent, and drinks were decent (except for no real pina coladas or daiquiris) and the workers were generally pleasant. Sounds great doesn’t it…. Well that’s unless you have a problem. There were little things throughout the start of the trip that can be expected and overlooked (rooms with not enough beds, late luggage, no welcome drink etc.).
Our issues started on the Tuesday before the wedding, the bridal party was given the gift of manicures and pedicures at this 5 Star Spa, oh la la!! Your thinking pampering, champagne, chocolates, overstuffed seating, a relaxing fun day with the ladies at the spa; right?? Well get that out of your head because this “Spa” is a far cry from that. I’ve never had such a painful pedicure in my life. Cuticles pulled out, scalding water in the foot bath, a paint job that I could do myself, and another bridesmaid had her skin sanded off on her toe, a “staff” member getting her own hair done while yapping away to anyone that would listen. The manicure I was told was not any better. Again, we overlooked this terrible service and noted it up to them having a bad day, I mean were on vacation we don’t want an issue.

So the next day, is the wedding day we have booked our appointments with the “Spa” months in advance and paid a hefty deposit. Our appointments were at 11am & 12pm in order to be ready for the wedding at 3pm, lots of time. Since it’s a wedding day all 6 of us went for 11am because this is supposed to be a fun filled day of pampering and girl time. We were there for 4 hours, without being offered a comfy place to sit (we were all sitting in $20 office chairs), no food, no drinks, they had other “workers” hovering over us while our makeup was being applied talking & laughing in Spanish, the makeup chairs were the same office chairs with towels rolled for our necks, and they took the mother of the groom out of the chair to accommodate a walk in bride, and to top it all off we were late for the wedding by 30mins. The bride and maid of honor had to leave ahead of the other ladies in order to get her dressed. We spend over $1000.00 dollars that day and the service was the absolute worst.

The next day we asked how to file a complaint and did so with our butler, who in turn emailed it to all appropriate parties (he showed us the email and responses) this was Thursday evening. Every day we followed up continually, just to get the run around until we went directly to Nicolas. First of all he acted as if we had no clue as to what we were talking about to which we explained again. Long story short we were still chasing an answer up until as hour before we were set to leave. Our final meeting was basically to say that there was nothing that they could do, the “Spa” is not related to them, it was our fault our appointment was late, and that we got our hair and makeup done so what’s the problem. Not even an apology, a complimentary robe, nothing for our aggravation, time, or waste of money. The only person who was sincerely sorry was our butler who was fantastic.

I warn you all, that everything looks great on the outside; they believe that they’ve given you food, drinks & a bed and that’s where the service stops. There right and your wrong!! Our group consensus was that we would never return back to any Palladium resort or the Dominican for that matter. We had ten times better service at the Comfort Inn, Airport Road in Toronto then we did for $40,000+ dollars at a 5 star resort. This resort is not worth your hard earned dollars, with its terrible resort management, brutal customer service & an absolutely horrible “Spa”, which to me counteracts the location, food & drinks. P.S also at this 5 star resort we didn’t have water for a day & a half.

On a side note, beware when leaving the Dominican airport, the weight scales at the baggage check-in are in definite question, at least 10 people from our group had to pay even though they left stuff behind and were well under leaving Toronto. And we’re not talking 1 kg were talking $120.00 dollars over, but have no fear you can even barter your baggage fees. Another person from our group didn’t have the $60.00 so the Sunwing Rep bartered them down to $40, only is the Dominican.

Room Tip: We stayed in block 56, 2nd floor, the new section. It was very nice, we weren't in them very muc...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank stacey c
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Just back from 5 days at the Royal Suites Turquesa (returned on Sunday November 27th). Can't say enough great things about what a wonderful experience and holiday we had.

Loved the adults only atmosphere. Stay in building 53 - new building - and had privilege of staying in swim up suite. Worth the price of upgrade.

So many great things to say about this place - don't believe some of the negative reviews on this site. Yes, things sometimes can take a little longer to get done but you are on a tropical island and things will not be exactly as they are back home. But you are on vacation - relax.

Beautiful beach, beautiful grounds and loved that it was not crowded. Yes, there are carts available but most things are within easy walking distance so enjoyed the fresh air and exercise and most things were within 5 minute walk. There are plenty of beach towels available - no limit, no stupid towel cards, etc.

Food was fantastic. Ate at both the French restaurant and the Gourmet restaurant - both reserved for Royal Suites Turquesa guests only - and no kids. Also went to both the Italian and Spanish restaurants but best meals were at the adult only restaurants. Went to the beach restaurant for lunch and had great meals there too. When, not if, I go back again, will likely eat only at the adult only restaurants. Plenty of choice, great food quality, etc.

Liquor and wine available at the Royal Suites bars and restaurants definitely seemed better than at the rest of the resort so did all our drinking at these places. Rooms also have 4 liquor bottles and fridge is restocked with beer daily. 2 large bottles of water are also in fridge and replenished daily. Additional smaller bottles of water are available at the bars and there did not appear to be a limit.

Rooms were lovely. Not a huge fan of the open concept bathroom and not having a separate room for the toilet - there is just a frosted door for the area where the toilet is and it does not go all the way to the ceiling so not a lot of privacy .... but if that is all I have to complain about I think I am doing pretty good. Loved the large jacuzzi tub and used that a couple of times.

All in all, a great vacation. Relax and enjoy the beautiful beach, the beautiful resort and please be nice to the staff. They do try and fulfill guests needs/requests but we need to remember that we are in their country so we should be trying to speak their language and not yelling at them in French, English, German, Russian, etc.

A very international resort which I really enjoyed. I have found that in Punta Cana before - not a lot of English speaking tourists - lots of Europeans, Russians, etc.

Can't wait to go back.

#45 of 112 in Punta Cana
AlSol Tiara Cap Cana
#21 of 112 in Punta Cana
No photo provided

Been to TRS Turquesa Hotel? Share your experiences!