“Tips equal service”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto, Canada
“Tips equal service”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Returned last night from Royal Suites Turquesa ...booked vacation with Sunwing. This was our second visit in three years and while we really enjoyed the first visit, this one not as much. I paid for an upgrade when making the booking and at that time, requested a room on third floor as sometimes the rooms on the first floor smell mouldy . We get there and they has put us on the first floor even though I provided documentation reflecting my request. Their response ? It was Sunwing's fault as they did not pass on the info and they probably coudn't do anything for a few days. My husband took out his wallet and viola ...$30 and a minute later, a room was available the next day. In speaking with other guests, they had the same experience. A scam perhaps ? You be the judge.
My spouse and I only drink white wine. Guess what ? No white wine at the pool bar for 4 days and the lobby also ran out on the first day we were there. We had to go to another hotel on the grounds to get white wine. The butler sent a bottle of house wine to our room one day as it was getting ridiculous. When they finally had white wine, it was undrinkable and people were seen tossing in in the bushes or leaving it on the tables.
As for bringing money for tips, it has become ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS that every single staff person expects a tip for eveything they do. I get it that wages in the contry are low.... we paid $1200 more than guests at other hotels in the complex ( all owned by Palladium) to get great service. I didn't expect to have to give a tip to every person who even brought me a fork !! We gave tips often as we learned from one experience where we didn't have change for a large bill, the server took our order and never came back. Nice huh ?
The food is all the same, whether you go to the buffet or the al a carte, just fancied up in the al a cartes with showmanship designed to get tips.
We did the "Punta Cana Boogie" excursion...buggies are way past their prime and very difficult to steer. The trip through the country side consisted of going to a flea market and a small stall where they sell coffee/chocolate beans ...the very small children , 3 and 4 years old, did things like put flowers in your hair, brushed dirt off your legs, tried to unbuckle your helmet, etc....things we would find too close and personal for any of our kids to do to a stranger. Then they put their hands out for money. I found this very sad and not charming at all .....
I am not saying it was totally unpleasant...the beach was fabulous and our new room looked over the beach and pool. The hotel was very clean and our room was always well kept ( tips left on the pillow ensure this ). We didn't go hungry and we always managed to find a drink somewhere on the grounds , as well as catch two hockey games on the big screen at the sports bar. We met some really great people from all over the world and watched as a bridal party (bride and groom included) had to see the first period of game 4 between Pens and Flyers ! Canadian hockey fans are great !
We have decided to never to go there again . You do not get what you pay for and we prefer to spend our money elsewhere.

Room Tip: book rooms on the upper floors
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank fannymay25

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,023)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We spent two weeks at the Royal Turquesa at the end of March 2012 and found that it met all of our expectations. A modern clean well situated hotel with a good selection of food. It was certainly a 4 star in terms of food and a 5 star in terms of everything else. Many peole have mentioned the undrinkable Spanish house wine and we would agree - strange that you would couple a zero star wine with a 5 star hotel, but I guess Paladium must have their reasons - it had no impact on the enjoyment of our holiday. Tennis courts were in reasonable shape and the pros were always available for lessons ( free I suspect) , or to join in to play. The beach was in excellent shape and the water was perfect. Overall we wouldn't hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank headingsomeplace
New Brunswick
Reviewed 20 April 2012

This was our sixth visit to the Palladium and our 4th to the Royal Suites in the past 5 years. We had a late flight arrival so it was 0130 when we checked into our room. Geronimo was on reception and was very pleasant and efficient. Luckily for us there was availability and we were able to upgrade to a swim up suite. We were located in building #58 with afternoon sun. It was perfect for us.

On our first morning walk to the beach we met other Palladium Addict members, Bira and goldengirl. They were enjoying the morning sun of their swim up rooms. It was great to get to know both of them and their husbands. We found the resort less busy on our first week so the towel game wasn’t as bad as in previous years. We didn’t see any abuse of people saving chairs and not using them. They were used! The second week was the busiest. You had to be to the beach or pool area early to save a lounger. This was the week following Easter weekend.

Our room was absolutely beautiful. We had a wonderful maid, Lourdes. She did an awesome job. We became very close despite the language barrier.

The butlers were outstanding. So friendly and there to assist with any need. We had a lot of contact with Abel, Melky, Triana, Domingo and Carlos. They are very personable and I enjoyed getting to know each one of them. It is not necessary to see your own building butler. You can go to any one of the butlers at any time and you’ll never be questioned why. Sometimes they can be busy with things that take them away from their desk and may not be in your building but you can always find one at another site. I also had the pleasure of meeting David, Maximo and Zuray.

I really think there are more loungers at the beach than seen in other years. I am not sure about this but there were many. The palapa’s are kept up in good condition. I see that as they were replaced they were made bigger which is nice for more shade. The Bali beds were well in use and some of the brave souls tried the hammocks only to find it difficult to get out again! Good for a photo opportunity. The beach was well maintained as per usual.

We saw a trolley train and extended golf carts that went regularly. The golf carts are super quiet and more environmentally friendly than the train trolley. The Royal suites golf carts were well utilized and the bell boys are so willing to take you anywhere. Sometimes the best intentions to walk are replaced by “you are on vacation let us take care of you”. It was so nice to see Thomas again and to meet Gerison and Carlos. I can’t remember the other names of the drivers but they deserve mention as well.

I tell you one could not ask for better service in all areas of this resort.

We went to the Manager’s cocktail party and again were impressed with the way management connects with their clients. We met Daphane of room division and loved speaking with her. She secured us a drive so that we could make our reservation for the Steak house on time. We managed to walk a lot too but the golf carts were a bonus if you wanted to wear “heels” to dinner.

We are use to one week vacations and this time because we booked for two weeks we decided that we were going to go to as many a la cartes that we could while still going to the two RST restaurants. We went to the Spanish(El Quijote) twice as our friend Miquel works there. The whole staff there knew we were his “vacation family”. I love the ambiance of the smaller a la cartes and the El Quijote is one of my favorites. We went to the Pirates Beach Barbeque and had the perfect night for it. Warm, no breeze, full moon.....I really wanted to try it and am glad that I did. However,if I was only going for one week then I would have given it a miss because there are so many other options that I would rather try. We met a lovely couple from the UK. They were seated with us. I loved that they filled the tables so you got to meet other guests. We ate at the Bamboo, La Parrilla and Chef Raffaele restaurants. We were seated in the wine room at the Steak house. We got to see our hostess friend, Sonia who we met 8 yrs ago while staying in the Bavaro section. It was such a delight to call out her name and to see the recognition on her face. We took in the Japanese cooking show and met another couple that we shared stories and drinks with at Hemingway’s afterwards. We enjoyed all of our meals. We love the Palladium for its fine dining but sometimes our choices are also about the positive experiences with the staff and the ambiance of the restaurants. We ate at Le Chanterelle twice and the Royal Gourmet three times. The staff is exceptional here and the food goes without saying. I find the French decor very beautiful. The Royal Gourmet doesn’t have the ambiance of the other restaurants but makes up for it with their wonderful staff and food. Lunch was at the Royal Gourmet or Bohio. We went to El Arrecife once but preferred Bohio. Every day breakfast was at the Royal Gourmet.

My husband has become a fan of Imperial Rum. Even I who normally does not like rum could tell the difference when Imperial Rum was in the drinks. It was better. We walked to Cusie Boutique and I fell in love with this shop. Very nice merchandise. It is new, clean and so accessible from the beach. I bought good quality vanilla in a 6 oz size, sealed bottles plus a small bag of cacao and my husband bought his Imperial Rum.

It was nice to meet Ronny and Octavio in our travels around the Royal Suites. They are very eager to hear how your vacation experience is.

It was a great vacation. All you need to pack along with your luggage is a good attitude and a smile.

4 Thank NBmaple
Yardley,PA
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I like you read many of the recent reviews of this resort before selecting. Unfortunately I had choose to believe the reviews and booked our Spring vacation there, the first week of April. Because of the reviews read I was looking forward to sort sort of upgrade, or at least some attempt to make us feel welcome and special. Since I had also read about the swim up rooms I was surprised at how insignificant they made them sound and wouldn't entertain the possibility of even upgrading or offerring to upgrade for an additional fee (which was quite surprising). While I felt we had paid for a room that was NOT the basic one and was a grade or two above, the actual room did not seem special, nor did the musty odor that we complained about but did not seem to get any better. Complaints about the refrigerator or shower while not ignored were addressed very casually. And despite the diligent efforts by some of the staff (Melky, Provencial, and Triana), the overall experience was somewhat lacking. And if your into working out, take a break and skip it while there.....unless you enjoy watching the attendant work out while your looking to find towels that are not there. Food in the Gourmet and French was better than average and the grounds are extremely well kept. I doubt that we will ever be returning to Punta Cane again despite having a wonderful experience during our first visit to Punta Cane many years ago.

Room Tip: Check out mustiness of room before accepting.
6 Thank pmiles918
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We just came back from the RS and I have to say that it was our best vacations so far - all is good i.e. room, food, drinks, beach, pool, and most of all the services from the RS staff. We always felt like <royal guests>. We would go back without hesitation.

3 Thank JeanneR757
canada
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We spent a week at this resort the beginning of April and it was absolutely wonderful. We do a great deal of research prior to commiting our vacation dollars and a few of the reviews I read leading up to our holiday caused me a great deal of concern. So, I was a bit wary as we headed south. We upgraded to a swim up room on day two and it was worth every cent. We loved the pool outside our door. The staff were great. Nothing we wanted was too much trouble. Our dear butler even came running to save me from a bug!! lol. The restaurants on the royal side were great and enjoyed every meal we had there. Ate lunch at a couple buffets and it left a little to be desired - just cannot compare with the royal food. We did eat at the japanese show cooking restaurant - it was nicely done and the food was tasty. The italian restaurant was fine as well. The beach was beautiful, lovely to walk on and not too crowded. There were always plenty of towels and places to sit. All in all, I spent all week waiting for something to complain about, but there was nothing. All aspects of this hotel were up to par and everyone was great. I seriously have to give some thought to how demanding the people with a litany of complaints must be......or perhaps it is sometimes a case of you get what you give. Some people do not treat the staff at these resorts with much respect - therefore the service they get may be a little tainted. Regardless, I would definitely recommend this hotel for a nice, relaxing mid-range priced holiday.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
11 Thank codysmomCanada
Reviewed 14 April 2012

We booked a room at the Grand Palladium Bavaro. The first 2 nights we have been sent to Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe, because the hotel was overbooked. Then we didn't like the rooms of the GP Bavaro and paid for an upgarde to the Royal Suites Turquesa.

The upgrade was worth it and we loved our stay.

The room was in the "new" section, where the swim-up suites are. We stayed on the top floor. The room was good, but the details were not 5-star: the toilet door hinge was loose and the glass door scraped the floor (they fixed it, but 2 days later it was broken again), one of the two sinks was not working, the iPod base station had no power supply, the room service menu was missing. We told the butler about these and everything was fixed except the iPod power supply we received was broken.

What we really enjoyed about this location were the restaurants that were exclusive to Rolyal Suites Turquesa guests. We ate almost every meal there, after we have tried all the restaurants. These two restaurants (La Chanterelle, Le Royal Gourmet) are at a much higher quality level.

The beach is ok, but nothing extraordinary. A lot of people do the "towel game" of reserving the sun beds, but we always found a nice spot and could use a sun bed at any time.

We dind't "use" the entertainment at day or at night, because we were mostly tired in the evening because of the active days.

We found the Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe better and would stay there if we come again to Punta Cana. The rooms are modern and we liked them better. The hotel is more compact and everything is not far away. We thing that the Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe is more recently renovated. We have no idea about the price difference, as we didn't have to pay anything.

The buffet meals were a class higher at the Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe - a lot of fresh fruits and natural fruit juice everywhere, compared to the syrups at the Royal Suites Turquesa.

Room Tip: The "new" section, that is further away from the beach is very quiet and you can reach the...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple