“Excellent value for $$$”
Review of TRS Turquesa Hotel

TRS Turquesa Hotel
Ranked #46 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I want to start off by saying that for the money we spent this resort was exceptional, our main disappointment was with the food served, but I realize that we paid half of what we normally pay for a vacation so fully udertand that there would be comprimizes. The intent of my review is not to discourage people from going their but merely to make them realize that this is a 4 star resort and don`t go expecting 5 star food. Other than the food however mostly everthing else was 5 star.

Pro`s
- Very nice beech
- With the resort being so huge, you have a variety of choice of what type of vacation you want to have, the swim up pools offer a quite and almost private environment, the main pool offers a quite but more public venu, the beach speaks for itself and if you want a more vibrant and active area you can go to one of the many other pools located throughout the resort.
- Staff is very friendly, many staff members have limited knowledge of French or English but that is not their issue, afterall we are in a different country.
- Drink selection was excellent
- Rooms are clean and huge, cleaned twice a day
- Facility very well kept and groomed, they could have spent a little more time however cleaning the bottom of the pools, but water was always very clean
- Golf carts for exclusive use of guest is a great touch as the resort is huge, so is the train(s) that go around the resort
- Evening entertainment for more the most part is quite professional, do not miss the circus
- The swin up area offers a quite and enjoyable get away
- Do everything to get a swim up room, definately worth the experience
- Bring with you some large insulated mugs as they will fill these up with what ever you want.

- For the money the food is accceptable, but do not go expecting 5 star level food and service. Also this was our first visit to the Dominican so not sure if food quality is much better at other resorts. Might be like CUBA where sfood selection is very limited.
- Best meal was at the Royal gourmet for Lunch and daily menu actually varied from day to day
- The chateaubriand at the Chanterelle is likley the best meal you will have at the resort
- Unless you have never tasted a lobster from the North Atlantic do not even attempt to eat the lobster served here as you will be disappointed
- Japaness Restaurant provides a great experience and the food is good
- Brazilian Restaurant serves the food like a typical Brazilian Steak house with servers going around the room with meat on scewers. Good experience but meat is so,so
- Steak House served a decent cut of meat, nothing exceptional but good
- Royal Gourmet, stay away from the pork tenderloin, but beef tenderloin was good and lamb chops are OK
- Wine is aweful, buy some of the ``à la carte`` wine as they have many at good value.
- Breakfast was very good with wide variety, but stay with the Royal Gourmet as all other restaurants offer basically the same food fair but are a zoo.
- Other than the Royal Gourmet the food at most other restaurants for lunch was buffet style, wide selection and food was generally good.

Advise for resort
- Might want to offer a more varied selection of wine, even if the wine offered was decent -which in my view was not- anyone would get tired of always drinking the same wine over the week.
- Limit towels to 1 towel per person to stop greedy guest from reserving more than one chair at a time.
- Provide more information in the room about the facility, i.e. restaurants, bar hours, beach facility etc.
- Provide daily news of what is going on at the resort, i.e. evening shows, carribean night, vendor fairs.
- Butler service in my opinion was useless, other than walking us to our room he did nothing, I ended up having to call the front desk twice the second day of our visit to get a working fridge. Also anytime we tried to reserve a restaurant he always came back with the same two time slots, not matter the restaurant 6 or 10.
- Health club could benefit from undated equipment, or at least a few fix ups.
- The Resort has all the essentials to become a 5 Star resort, but not quite there yet. Great value however.
Advise to vacationers

- Make your own reservation the eveing off for restaurants, as you have a gold bracelet they will most often accomodate you within 20-30 minutes, just enough time to enjoy a cocktail before supper.
-Remember that you need $10 each in cash ($US) to get into the country and also $20 (US) cash to leave the country at the airport. There is a bank machine at the airport in case you run out of money but upon arrival you need the money as they collect it immediately upon arrival.
- Brings lots of small bills as a small token of appreciation goes a long way in getting you good service.
- Instead of money bring some goodies for the maid service, they really seemed to appreciate these.
- If you leave a tip on the table it is divided amongst all staff, if you want to tip someone in particular for their service hand them the tip personally as they get to keep these to themselves.
- Get up early and go reserve a spot around the pool, if this is where you want to be, as these spots are normally all taken by 7:30AM

6  Thank Joe571

Reviewed 26 April 2012

Just returned recently from a week at the Royal Suites Turquesa ( April 11-18) and found the resort to be excellent. I am still amazed by the individuals that complain about everything - you are in a different country and things are going to be different . We travelled with Air Transit arriving early in the morning so check- in was very quick and service very friendly . We had booked in the older section to be closer to the beach and found the rooms to be great .We also had an opportunity to look at the Swim up rooms - very nice but a quieter area of the resort . We had originally asked for a room on an upper floor and took a couple days to get this sorted out but it all worked out with a great view of the beach area .
The beach was great- typical Punta Cana Beach - white sand, clear water, lots of palm trees and you could walk for miles . I have been south numerous times and still find the beaches here to be the best in the Caribbean. The resort complex was very large and on a couple extremely windy days I spent early mornings walking around the other three resorts . I get up very early and enjoy walking along the beach and seeing the sunrise .
For restaurants it was great to have both the Royal Gourmet and the French where you did not need to make reservations . The food in both was very good and also enjoyed the Japanese ( probably my favourite) , the Italian and and the Brazilian . There were many more to chose from but limited nights of course when you are going for one week.
I found the service to be fine ( perhaps a bit slow in the Italian Restaurant) and tipping does go a long ways. Everyone was very friendly and very helpful . Met some great people along the way and everyone seemed to be having a good time .
Having been to Punta Cana several times before we did not leave the resort although a lot of activities to do and excursions to take if you wanted. The main reason to go with my spouse and some friends was some R & R and the resort did fit the bill for this . I enjoy spending time on the beach for the day and then going our for a nice meal in the evening. With the resort being so large a great opportunity to stroll around at night and visit different bars in the other three resorts that you have access to. enjoying the warm Caribbean night and music . I am sure some would find this resort too large with 4 different areas but for me since I like to explore it was great .
Perhaps the only slightly frustrating time was trying to get the rooms changed to an upper floor . We have booked this up front but placed on the ground floor when we arrived and advised to come back the next day to get moved . When we did this two in the party were able to move to a second floor room and I was told to come back the next day- no problem . The next day I was told sorry no upper floor rooms available for the rest of the week . It took a bit but eventually my wife and I were moved to an upper floor with a great view( that day). However overall this was minor when you look at the resort and week overall.
You will not regret booking at this resort and would not hesitate to recommend.

Room Tip: Like the rooms in the older section since they are closer to the beach - block 50 and 52
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank curtip55
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My Fiance and I stayed for 7 nights mid April, this will be my third time to DR and my fiance's first. We were both blown away by it and was everything and more than we expected. We upgraded to a swim-up suite which I highly suggest upgrading to if there is one available. We enjoyed pretty near all the food and were quite impressed with many meals we had, the only restaurant we were not overly fond of was The Royal Gourmet at lunch, we did not have dinner there so I cannot comment on it. We also did not enjoy the room service. One thing we really appreciated about this resort was the ability to find a nice quiet place by the pool to relax and have a low-key afternoon, or there is always something going on in one of the four resorts in the complex if you feel like being around people or participating in some activity. The staff were amazing, very friendly and knowledgeable. There is always someone who can help you with whatever you need. Tips go a long way though, we noticed that we seemed to get a lot better service than some of the guests as we tipped and the staff were a lot more social/friendly. We will be returning again in the future and would recommend this resort to anyone thinking about taking a caribbean vacation.

Room Tip: Get a swim-up suite if one is available. After staying in one I couldn't imagine ever staying at...
6  Thank RiverSong2884
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We spent 10 days at the RST in late March 2012. We travel annually to Mexico or the Carribean, and this was our second trip to Punta Cana. The Royal Suites was everything we wanted and expected. Everything positive in the TA reviews is true. As for the negative, like others have said, I have no idea what those people were expecting. This is not the Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons! This is a fantastic 4.5-5.0 star in a tropical location at a fair price. We would return in a heartbeat. We were fortunate to upgrade to a swim up suite in building 53, which was worth it and then some. To Summarize:
Pros:
Great staff at the RST and across the entire Palladium complex. Seems like when they see your RST wristband, they treat you a little extra special. Check in, Butler service, maid service, bartenders were all good to great. Speaking some Spanish helps to engage with them. Our theory is if you act sour, that's what you'll get in return!
The golf cart service for RST guests was great, especially because it rained a couple days and a few evenings.
Liquor selection at the RST bars was good. Good rum choices, as well as many brand names like Absolut, Dewars, Jack, Jim Beam...
LIttle extras, like coffee and danish at the pool bar in the morning, mini pizzas around noon, snacks in fridges by the bar and pool hut., snacks in your mini-bar.
The beach is awesome. Nice and breezy with plenty of shade. We spent little time at the main pool because it was hot with no breeze.

Cons/Areas for Improvement:
Need better info for guests on check-in about the restaurant, snack bar and bar options. There should be something in the room with all that info. It was a few days before we realized there is a snack bar and a grill down the beach; nor did we know the pool bar by the swim-ups was open till midnight. We learned by talking to other guests.
The scent in the lobby..BLEH. It smells nice on check in but is overwhelming after a day. Seems like a combo of cinnamon and bubble gum!
Would be nice if coffee was available in the lobby all morning. From what we could figure out, coffee is available very early morning and then gone after 7am until the bar opens around 10am. How odd.
Shower drain very slow.

Other Tips:
Try room service breakfast! Fast, hot and delicious donuts. Snacks we ordered from room service one afternoon were not so good.
Check out C'usie just down the beach for your souvenirs. If you head to the right, it's the last shop and the only one that is an actual brick building. Coffee and rum are half the price as at the airport.
Our experience was that there were VERY few Americans at this resort. We met 4 in 10 days! That was fine with us but others might not like that.
We walked to the Ocean Blue resort one day to see some friends and it was a 45 minute walk.

Happy to answer any specific questions. If you are booked at RST or on the fence, go for it and enjoy your trip!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank julierickbleu
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Returned last night from Royal Suites Turquesa ...booked vacation with Sunwing. This was our second visit in three years and while we really enjoyed the first visit, this one not as much. I paid for an upgrade when making the booking and at that time, requested a room on third floor as sometimes the rooms on the first floor smell mouldy . We get there and they has put us on the first floor even though I provided documentation reflecting my request. Their response ? It was Sunwing's fault as they did not pass on the info and they probably coudn't do anything for a few days. My husband took out his wallet and viola ...$30 and a minute later, a room was available the next day. In speaking with other guests, they had the same experience. A scam perhaps ? You be the judge.
My spouse and I only drink white wine. Guess what ? No white wine at the pool bar for 4 days and the lobby also ran out on the first day we were there. We had to go to another hotel on the grounds to get white wine. The butler sent a bottle of house wine to our room one day as it was getting ridiculous. When they finally had white wine, it was undrinkable and people were seen tossing in in the bushes or leaving it on the tables.
As for bringing money for tips, it has become ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS that every single staff person expects a tip for eveything they do. I get it that wages in the contry are low.... we paid $1200 more than guests at other hotels in the complex ( all owned by Palladium) to get great service. I didn't expect to have to give a tip to every person who even brought me a fork !! We gave tips often as we learned from one experience where we didn't have change for a large bill, the server took our order and never came back. Nice huh ?
The food is all the same, whether you go to the buffet or the al a carte, just fancied up in the al a cartes with showmanship designed to get tips.
We did the "Punta Cana Boogie" excursion...buggies are way past their prime and very difficult to steer. The trip through the country side consisted of going to a flea market and a small stall where they sell coffee/chocolate beans ...the very small children , 3 and 4 years old, did things like put flowers in your hair, brushed dirt off your legs, tried to unbuckle your helmet, etc....things we would find too close and personal for any of our kids to do to a stranger. Then they put their hands out for money. I found this very sad and not charming at all .....
I am not saying it was totally unpleasant...the beach was fabulous and our new room looked over the beach and pool. The hotel was very clean and our room was always well kept ( tips left on the pillow ensure this ). We didn't go hungry and we always managed to find a drink somewhere on the grounds , as well as catch two hockey games on the big screen at the sports bar. We met some really great people from all over the world and watched as a bridal party (bride and groom included) had to see the first period of game 4 between Pens and Flyers ! Canadian hockey fans are great !
We have decided to never to go there again . You do not get what you pay for and we prefer to spend our money elsewhere.

Room Tip: book rooms on the upper floors
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank fannymay25
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We spent two weeks at the Royal Turquesa at the end of March 2012 and found that it met all of our expectations. A modern clean well situated hotel with a good selection of food. It was certainly a 4 star in terms of food and a 5 star in terms of everything else. Many peole have mentioned the undrinkable Spanish house wine and we would agree - strange that you would couple a zero star wine with a 5 star hotel, but I guess Paladium must have their reasons - it had no impact on the enjoyment of our holiday. Tennis courts were in reasonable shape and the pros were always available for lessons ( free I suspect) , or to join in to play. The beach was in excellent shape and the water was perfect. Overall we wouldn't hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank headingsomeplace
Reviewed 20 April 2012

This was our sixth visit to the Palladium and our 4th to the Royal Suites in the past 5 years. We had a late flight arrival so it was 0130 when we checked into our room. Geronimo was on reception and was very pleasant and efficient. Luckily for us there was availability and we were able to upgrade to a swim up suite. We were located in building #58 with afternoon sun. It was perfect for us.

On our first morning walk to the beach we met other Palladium Addict members, Bira and goldengirl. They were enjoying the morning sun of their swim up rooms. It was great to get to know both of them and their husbands. We found the resort less busy on our first week so the towel game wasn’t as bad as in previous years. We didn’t see any abuse of people saving chairs and not using them. They were used! The second week was the busiest. You had to be to the beach or pool area early to save a lounger. This was the week following Easter weekend.

Our room was absolutely beautiful. We had a wonderful maid, Lourdes. She did an awesome job. We became very close despite the language barrier.

The butlers were outstanding. So friendly and there to assist with any need. We had a lot of contact with Abel, Melky, Triana, Domingo and Carlos. They are very personable and I enjoyed getting to know each one of them. It is not necessary to see your own building butler. You can go to any one of the butlers at any time and you’ll never be questioned why. Sometimes they can be busy with things that take them away from their desk and may not be in your building but you can always find one at another site. I also had the pleasure of meeting David, Maximo and Zuray.

I really think there are more loungers at the beach than seen in other years. I am not sure about this but there were many. The palapa’s are kept up in good condition. I see that as they were replaced they were made bigger which is nice for more shade. The Bali beds were well in use and some of the brave souls tried the hammocks only to find it difficult to get out again! Good for a photo opportunity. The beach was well maintained as per usual.

We saw a trolley train and extended golf carts that went regularly. The golf carts are super quiet and more environmentally friendly than the train trolley. The Royal suites golf carts were well utilized and the bell boys are so willing to take you anywhere. Sometimes the best intentions to walk are replaced by “you are on vacation let us take care of you”. It was so nice to see Thomas again and to meet Gerison and Carlos. I can’t remember the other names of the drivers but they deserve mention as well.

I tell you one could not ask for better service in all areas of this resort.

We went to the Manager’s cocktail party and again were impressed with the way management connects with their clients. We met Daphane of room division and loved speaking with her. She secured us a drive so that we could make our reservation for the Steak house on time. We managed to walk a lot too but the golf carts were a bonus if you wanted to wear “heels” to dinner.

We are use to one week vacations and this time because we booked for two weeks we decided that we were going to go to as many a la cartes that we could while still going to the two RST restaurants. We went to the Spanish(El Quijote) twice as our friend Miquel works there. The whole staff there knew we were his “vacation family”. I love the ambiance of the smaller a la cartes and the El Quijote is one of my favorites. We went to the Pirates Beach Barbeque and had the perfect night for it. Warm, no breeze, full moon.....I really wanted to try it and am glad that I did. However,if I was only going for one week then I would have given it a miss because there are so many other options that I would rather try. We met a lovely couple from the UK. They were seated with us. I loved that they filled the tables so you got to meet other guests. We ate at the Bamboo, La Parrilla and Chef Raffaele restaurants. We were seated in the wine room at the Steak house. We got to see our hostess friend, Sonia who we met 8 yrs ago while staying in the Bavaro section. It was such a delight to call out her name and to see the recognition on her face. We took in the Japanese cooking show and met another couple that we shared stories and drinks with at Hemingway’s afterwards. We enjoyed all of our meals. We love the Palladium for its fine dining but sometimes our choices are also about the positive experiences with the staff and the ambiance of the restaurants. We ate at Le Chanterelle twice and the Royal Gourmet three times. The staff is exceptional here and the food goes without saying. I find the French decor very beautiful. The Royal Gourmet doesn’t have the ambiance of the other restaurants but makes up for it with their wonderful staff and food. Lunch was at the Royal Gourmet or Bohio. We went to El Arrecife once but preferred Bohio. Every day breakfast was at the Royal Gourmet.

My husband has become a fan of Imperial Rum. Even I who normally does not like rum could tell the difference when Imperial Rum was in the drinks. It was better. We walked to Cusie Boutique and I fell in love with this shop. Very nice merchandise. It is new, clean and so accessible from the beach. I bought good quality vanilla in a 6 oz size, sealed bottles plus a small bag of cacao and my husband bought his Imperial Rum.

It was nice to meet Ronny and Octavio in our travels around the Royal Suites. They are very eager to hear how your vacation experience is.

It was a great vacation. All you need to pack along with your luggage is a good attitude and a smile.

4  Thank NBmaple