“8th trip and counting!!”
Review of TRS Turquesa Hotel

TRS Turquesa Hotel
Ranked #47 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Dartmouth, Canada
“8th trip and counting!!”
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I apologize that I'm just writing this review now. I did have a previous one from several years ago of the Royal Suites, but can no longer locate it? As well, based on some of the less than positive reviews, I felt it necessary to post this recent one (not because everyone isn't entitled to their opinion, but rather to try to help those that are wondering about this resort be assured that it's a beautiful place). Let me start by saying that all properties are not for everyone, some things are more important than others to some people. I can honestly say that although we travel 3 or 4 times a year to different islands and destinations, the Royal Suites is our absolute favorite and the only one that we continue to go back to time and time again!!

DH and I returned to RST for the 8th time in December (2012). And have just booked 9th trip in May (6 weeks and counting!!). I won't say that the resort is completely perfect (haven't yet found one that is), but it's certainly great enough that we always leave wanting more...

We arrived Sun., Dec 2nd and used IBK servicios for our transfer to RST. We've used this service 5 years now and I can't tell you how nice it is to be picked up at the airport with a cold Presidente on ice waiting for you!! What a great welcome home!

As always, we requested a 3rd floor room in building #50. We are beach diehards and love the glorious view afforded to these rooms, as well as overlooking the pool in the afternoon, when we've had enough of laying down and want to read/catch up on email, etc and like to sit on our balcony and people watch. Unfortunately, this was not in the plans when we arrived and we were placed in building #51, at the far end. If you like privacy, this location is great--but we like to people watch! Surprising to us, they were at full capacity and couldn't relocate us that night. It was early December and we (wrongfully) expected occupancy to be a little lower than our usual visits of Feb/Mar. Nonetheless, Maximo (from guest services), showed us their reservation system at full capacity and asked us to come back the next day. When we did, we ended up being upgraded to #5038 (we PAID for the upgrade), which is our FAVOURITE room in the entire RST. This was our 3rd (or 4th, sorry, I don't track as well as I should) time in this honeymoon suite...and I cannot rave enough about it. We usually end up paying an upgrade for it, but to be honest, it's the only honeymoon suite that we would like to pay additional for, so we usually wait til we get there to see if it's available--and then we PAY for the upgrade (we don't expect a free one!)
Well, glory days began as we unpacked in our suite...

As usualy, the towel game was in full force. I sooo dislike this about the resort, HOWEVER, it's not only at the RST. We've stayed at several other PC resorts, and it's the same thing. And we've also seen it on a couple of cruises. I think it depends on the clientelle at the time unfortunately. I don't even mind someone reserving their 2 chairs (per couple) for the day. I just don't understand how people come from the beach at 3 and 4 in the afternoon and already have their shaded pool loungers waiting for them. Either one or the other people! There are not enough chairs for every person to have both a saved beach and pool chair, both the sun and shade. This is my only real complaint about the RST, and again, I can't say that it's unique to this resort and I have no idea how they could actually prevent it--other than a suggestion that I have read about each person being given a 'chair reservation' card and affixing it to ONE chair per person. May be something for RST to consider.

DH and I were so eager to visit the steak house and Italian restaurants--as both were new since our last visit. The Italian restaurant was extremely busy when we were there and we weren't overly impressed. That would be no different, however, than if we went to an Italian restaurant here in Canada that was very busy and service was less than you were accustomed to. The food was good enough that we will probably try it again this upcoming trip, we just didn't take the time on this particular trip to try it again. The steak house, however, was ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL!! We ordered the chicken wings, albeit a little hesitantly, because of being in the DR and liking my poultry fully cooked, I wasn't sure how they would be--boy, were we surprised. Several times while at the steakhouse, my DH and I said that "you would never think that you were anywhere other than a steakhouse in the US or Canada"--it was just that good!! We also ordered an onion soup as an appie--delicious. We then ordered the Rib Eye and the New York--both were cooked to perfection. We had eaten just way too much to order dessert. We walked out of that restaurant, again saying, "you would never know that you weren't anywhere other than a steakhouse in Canada or the US". Kudos to the steakhouse team!! I can assure you, if it hadn't been our last night of our vacation, we would have definitely gone back again. Even without a reservation and having to wait in line with a 'reservation disk'.

Other than that, we always ate at Le Chanterelle or Royal Gourmet (RG), because their service and menu selection is fantastic. One evening, in the RG, my DH ordered lamb chops. He was a little on the hungry side... So, after he finished his meal, we ended up going to the buffet at the Grand Palladium Palace, so that he could get something else. It was his fault, he decided to not get appies or salad that night! lol Anyway, he absolutely loved his chops, and although he could've ordered another dish from the RG, he was embaressed of his gluttony :) (no offence to anyone!) and wanted to go to the buffet. As we never really eat at the buffet anymore, I completely forgot how good some of the food is. So, while I was 'innocently' waiting for little piggie to put more on his plate, I 'slowly sauntered' around the buffet stations and ended up putting food on my plate--and I was already full from dinner!--but it all looked (and tasted) so good! How people can honestly say that they EVER leave this place and lose weight is beyond me! Our all time favorite restaurant is La Chanterelle, where the Chateaubriand for two is out of this world. We try to deviate from this once in a while in the restaurant and choose something else from the great menu, but it's difficult, because it's just THAT GOOD! On evenings that we don't order it, and someone near by orders it, just the smell of it as it's sizzling coming out of the kitchen is enough to make one's mouth water. :)

We did order breakfast on 2 occassions through room service. We did receive everything that was ordered, although I didn't have the utmost confidence in that. This area is the one place that I find that I struggle with the language barrier. I am not, for ONE SECOND, complaining that they are Spanish and aren't able to speak my English--because I can assure you, if anyone of a Spanish tongue came to where I live, they would likely be expected to either speak/understand English, or 'too bad'. So, my DH and I always travel with the attitude that the onus is on us to make ourselves understood by the natives to whom we are speaking (where ever our travels may take us). But, we always find that easier to do 'in person' than over the phone. So, whenever we call for room service, I am always hesitant about what is going to be delivered. HOWEVER, both times, they were bang on--and it was delicious!!! I will say, however, that the breakfast service at the RG was less than what we've received in the past. On two mornings, we probably waited over 20 mins before our orders were taken and it was extremely difficult to even get a glass of water. I did find that service was hit and miss in this area. As well, and I have read it in a few reviews, I did find that many of the orders were merely taken from the buffet heat lamps...most notably, the hashbrowns. I ordered some every morning, and each time, they were cold and didn't get eaten. However, out of a week of eating at a variety of places, several meals a day, if this is my only complaint, it's still pretty darn good!

We did miss having Danny at the pool bar this year. We're very happy for him, and did see him a few times going from bar to bar, but he was such a great addition to the lobby pool bar. And Octavio, sorry we didn't get to meet up for coffee! Hopefully we will in 6 weeks when we go 'back home'! Thanks again for another fabulous trip to the Royal Suites Turquesa!!

Room Tip: If you like rooms that are closer to the beach, choose the older section--buildings 50, 51 and 52. T...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank mlrandpkm
ltajes, Manager at TRS Turquesa Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Dear mlrandpkm,

From the staff of The Royal Suites Turquesa we wants to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay.

Once again thank you for choosing The Royal Suites Turquesa, trusting that we will give you your well deserved vacations, you are part of our Palladium family.

We really appreciate that you have highlighted our good service and details to improve, we work to satisfy your needs.

We will continue counting on your stays satisfied,

Best Regards,

Leandro Tajes
Gerente Residente / Resident Manager
The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium
Grand Palladium Palace Resort, Spa & Casino

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,092)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Nova Scotia
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Staying at RST now and as I write this it is 630 am and I am returning from the beach and pool which, of course are both beautiful and deserted, however, there are a total of 10 loungers at the pool with no towels on them (none that have any shade), and there are maybe 3 or 4 palapas on the beach in the back rows that do not have towels on them. This practice of reserving chairs is out of control here and for this reason I will not return. We have not played the towel game for the first 5 days of our vacation and gamely went down to the pool and-or beach at 1030 or 1100 and took what we could find in the midday sun without shade, IF we were lucky enough to find any open chairs. However, with 2 days left to go before going home, we wanted to enjoy a day at the beach with some shade.....this shouldn¨t be ridiculous to ask from an Adults Only hotel that bills itself as having a higher level of service.
Really this is a resort that is trying to be upper level but doesn´¨t quite get there....service is good not great, the rooms are very nice, entertainment is a 10 or 20 minute walk away (they really should have a piano or guitarist for a few hours in the evenings to liven the place up though), and the towel game here is absolutely the worst that I have experienced on my 6 trips to DR and Mexico. On the plus side, the food at the Chanterelle and Royal Gourmet are the best of any AI that I have been to....the staff is great at those restaurants and they have quality that is as good or better than nice restaurants in a North American city.
In summary, if you want to get up at 530 to be at the beach or pool, get frustrated at people hogging chairs at the beach and pool and possibly not using any of them, this is the place for you....otherwise go somewhere else.
One last note, we met a couple who had been sold a Palladium Vacation Club Package who had not been given the swim up room they were promised and had continous problems with the room that they were in, and they were 5 days into a 3 week vacation. Our experience with the front desk staff was good, but they were being misled on a daily basis on what they could expect from the hotel.

Room Tip: Really like the swim up rooms, they are a saviour to the towel game at the main pool and beach
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Land_and_See
Dear Land_and_See,

Received a warm greeting from the staff of The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium, we want to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay.

We would like to apologize for the inconvenience you had during your holidays, on the high season sometimes is difficult to satisfy all our customers, but I assure you we will consider your suggestions, we are working to improve our services.

Once again thank you very much, we invite you to return in any season of your preference.

Greetings.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 March 2013

After travelling and staying at many other five star resorts in Punta Cana over the past 11 years including Secrets Royal Beach, Ambar section of the Bahia Principe, RIU Palace and Palace Macao, the Princess and the RIU Bamboo we feel that we have experience a great deal of what Punta Cana has to offer from average to very good. However it is the Royal Suites Turquesa that stands out as excellent ---PARADISE FOUND!

For us we look for a resort that has a relaxing spa like quality, where we can spend the day relaxing and re-connecting with one another. We love to spend the day soaking up the sun on the incredible stretch of beach or float in the aqua coloured waters. We enjoy lying on the beach and never found it a challenge to find a great spot on the beach. We would often head down to the beach after an incredible breakfast at the Royal Gourmet Dining room. Between 8:45 and 9:30 and never had a challenge finding chairs near the waters edge. Before lunch we would pack up our things and head back to the luxury known as the swimout suites! We would float for a while at our suite while sipping an incredible top self liquor cocktail that were served pool side. The service was always warm and attentive. Then it was off to lunch, which was an incredible experience in itself. The afternoon ended with a lazy and relaxing afternoon enjoying our swimout room and soaking up the sun. Before we knew it the afternoon would be gone and it would be time to shower and dress for dinner. We would begin with champagne in the RST lobby bar and then head into either the French dining La Chantrelle's or the Royal Gourmet. There were other alacarte options but we were thrilled with the service and fair that these two exclusive restaurants had to offer. The evening ended with either quiet nightcaps in the RST lobby, laughter and fun at the Palace bar with new friends and the amazing bar staff or watching one of two live shows. There is always so much to do in the Palladium complex at night and if you are feeling a bit lazy there is always the option of calling for one of the RST golf carts to drive you to any of the locations. We do not find the complex too large and very easy to navigate. We love the meandering paths that lead you through the complex.

The food options at the RST are incredible. As a chef in Toronto, I understand fine food and the importance of excellent service and the two RST restaurants have this level of quality with a European flair. The lunch menu at the RST gourmet restaurant is incredible --offering, duck, lamb, quail, steaks and so much more. It is important to note that the lunch menu changes every day--this is unheard of at this price point of an all inclusive resort BUT the RST offers it! INCREDIBLE. A stay at the RST begs you to dine at the French restaurant la Chantrelle where they prepare a fondue that rivals some incredible fondues experienced in Paris, France. But that is only one of the amazing options available to guests at the RST. Furthermore one must experience the chateaubriand for two or the Royal lobster or surf and turf offered at the royal gourmet. Finally no dinner is complete without having crepes Suzette prepared table side--a show unto itself.

The service quite simply --pampering. Each member of the team really wants you to have the trip of the life time and that is what we had on this trip. You make such strong connections with the staff who very quickly become like family. Language is not a problem if you try. There was never an issue with frontline personnel being understood. It is amazing how far a smile and kind word goes.

Would we return absolutely --the next trip this summer is booked and we are trying to figure out how to manage a trip to RST for Christmas.

What is left to be said but go and experience paradise.

Room Tip: The swimout suites are worth the extra money and are only a short distance to the beach.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Chefwithanattitude
Dear Chefwithanattitude,

We want to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay at The Royal Suites Turquesa.

Comments like yours are the best motivation for us; we try to provide a good team and service to our guests.

Thank you for choosing The Royal Suites Turquesa trusting that we will give you your well deserved vacations.

We will be waiting for you on Christmas.

Reviewed 26 March 2013

We stayed at the RST the first week of March 2013. Overall, I felt that the resort was decent. But what a beach! We were fleeing winter weather, so having the sun, sand and the most beauttiful turquoise waters was all that we cared about!
But here's a list of a few things I noticed:
- RST is the adults only section of the Palladium resort complex on the Bavaro Beach. You definitely get better treatment overall: villa butlers, better beach chairs, golf carts to drive you anywhere, and most importantly in my mind, FREE BOTTLED WATER. The other three sections of the resort have to pay for bottled water.
- Food and drink were "so-so". I usually enjoyed breakfast, but lunch was boring and by Day 3, I felt like I expended all options. Dinner at Le Chantrelle was fantastic! And the staff there was AMAZING! I almost cried when it was time to say goodbye to them on our last day. The drinks were okay, but nothing spectacular and the variety was lacking.
- Practice your Spanish! Having a basic understanding will get you far.
- Bring small American bills with you for tips. There is an ATM on site, but only gives pesos for a poor exchange rate.
- We brought a few school supplies and some candy. We didn't go on any excursions so we left a little something with our housekeeper along with a friendly note and some money. We think it was appreciated because she'd add little extra touches around the room (towel animals, fresh flowers, etc.) My in-laws were right next door and didn't get those bonuses.
There are so many resorts on the Bavaro Beach that I doubt I would return to RST, but the resort did meet our "snow bird" needs for a week.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank SweetCDP
ltajes, Manager at TRS Turquesa Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Dear SweetCDP,

I really appreciate the valuable time you spend to share your experiences at the hotel.

I'm sorry that your perception of our services is not to your liking. All comments are very important for us, as well as other travelers, which is a valuable tool for us to continue improving.

We would like to let you know that at our hotel, the service is free bottled water in all the bars and rooms minibars, minibars are restocked each day.

In our complex we handle up to twelve different countries daily, with different cultures and customs time. The index of overall satisfaction our meal times is pretty good, we count with a 24 hours included bar service with national and international selected drinks, although we are aware that cultural diversity is so high that it is impossible to cover all the needs.

In our receptions we offer change from large bills to smaller, Foreign Currency (Euro, Dollars, etc…) to Dominican Currency (pesos) or vice versa can be done in the numbers authorized banks or exchange that is in the Bavaro village. We like all hotels, do not handle the same exchange rates than banks.

Thank you very much for your details to our team. We try to provide a good team and a good service to our guests. Comments like this are important for us to keep improving every day.

Once again thank you for your comments, as mentioned above, majority of our customers do not have the same perception you have about our services.

Best Regards,

Leandro Tajes
Resident Director / Resident Manager

Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa & Casino
The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium
Delmar, New York
Reviewed 24 March 2013

GREAT VALUE!!! Every where you go in the Caribean has sunshine, beaches and warm weather. The trick is to find a quality resort at a good price. The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium is that place.

Our suite was beautiful, well kept, and comfortable. The quality of food and beverage is the best I have experienced at an All Inclusive. The beach, resort grounds, and pool areas are extremely well kept. All of the staff (waitstaff, bartenders, housekeeping, grounds people) are friendly, attentive and professional.

The variety of restuarants is fantastic Hibachi, Seafood, Brazillian, Steakhouse, French, Spanish, Asian, Mexican, as well as several buffetts. Drinks are not watered down. A big benefit of the Royal Suites Turquesa over the other Palladium Hotels on this one resort was the ability to make dinner reservations. Nice to walk in and be seated right away.

I could go on and on, but it would all be positive, hard to think of something we didn't like. This was our 2nd trip to the Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort & Spa. Our 1st trip we stayed at the Grand Bavaro and we recommend that also. We are already planning our next trip there.

Room Tip: Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort & Spa is a great resort for families and couples. If you go a...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank JohnyQuest64
Dear JohnyQuest64,

From the staff of The Royal Suites Turquesa we want to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay.

We greatly appreciate that we have totally satisfied your well deserved vacations. We will be waiting for your next vacations. You are part of our family.

Mississauga
Reviewed 23 March 2013

We've stayed at the Palladium Palace many times, but this timed stayed at the Royal Suites. What an amazing experience. The swim-up rooms were unbelievable.
We were a group of 6 family members. Everything was top notch, the rooms, the restaurants, the grounds. The staff was exceptional and friendly as usual.
We were there for 8 days and got into a routine from day 1. Breakfast either at the main buffet (at the Palace) or our Gourment restaurant. A few cappacinos later, down to the beach for the day where we were served our drinks in our loungers. Around 4:00 to the pool and pool bar for a few more drinks and/or more cappacinos. As our swim-up rooms were beside each other, we all gathered around here before getting ready for dinner. Once again our drinks were served right to our chairs. Then to dinner, either the buffet or a-la-carte. Our favs -- Japanese, Italian, or the French Restaurant at the Royal Suites. Then a few drinks and dancing in the main Lobby at the Palace, then the Casino, followed by a night cap in our Royal Suites Lobby!!! Absolutely no complaints whatsoever!!! We've seen most of the shows from our previous visits, however we did catch the Michael Jackson show again this time.
I always say my husband and I will try another destination next time but somehow we end up booking at the Palladium Palace/Royal Suites!!
p.s. we always bring gifts for our favourite staff and as well as our maid, and we always leave a little tip at each restaurant, even breakfast, how can you not when everyone around you is working so hard to please you.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Beachbound007
Dear Beachbound007,

We are really thankful for you’re the precious time you dedicate to share your good experiences in the hotel with us.

It is a satisfaction to know that you enjoyed your stay at our resort and that we have totally satisfied your needs.

Thank you very much.
New Brunswick
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I am not going to go on and on about everything great about this resort, because I don't have room. We stayed at this resort from February 25th until March 11th, 2013. I want to say a hugh big thank you to the staff who were wonderful. Several remembered us from the previous year and we were so excited to see them. We made new friends again and loved the resort
We were in buildng 55 room 5522 and it was fantastic. The room was so clean and everyday our housekeeper, Eneria, who I might add was a jewel made our room look like something from a fairy tale. Elva our waitress that we made friends with last year was amazing. We were so happy to see Eneria and Elva who both met us with open arms. Karina at the buffet in the morning again remembered us from last year and met us with open arms, just wonderful warm people. We made another friend at the buffet his name is, Juan Miguel. One of the bartenders that stands out is Hector who made each day a completely interesting day. Such a great guy.
We had several butlers that stand out and one is Providencia who always had a smile on her face when we walked down the stairs to start our day or on our way back when we were finishing off the day.
William and Juan two of our other butlers were just sweet and made our stay wonderful they couldn't do enough to make sure we were looked after.
Maribel is another waitress who took excellent care of us while we were at our pool and the bar.
Diledia, our morning hostess at the buffett was always smiling and made our day start off right.
Our shuttle drivers also remembered us and so like I said I have nothing but good to say about this resort,
The resort was clean, there is always something being upgraded or taken care of. The food was really good, no sickness or problems.
We also used the spa services again this year and we left feeling refreshed and so relaxed. Loved it and would recommend this. Good price.
I want to make mention of one of the staff who was pruning the trees by our pool, his name was William and he took the time when we spoke to him to ask our names and to tell us his, I could see the pride in his expression that he was able to communicate with us, made my heart smile. Such wonderful people.
We took the half day excursion which was great, hat off the Kenny our guide and Calvin our driver.
To sum everything up we had a wonderful holiday again and our thanks to Charlyn, Guilamo, Ricky and Maximo,
Hope to see you all again next year. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone wanting to get totally away and be pampered and all of your needs taken care of.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Snowflake31
Dear Snowflake31,

Received a warm greeting from the staff of The Royal Suites Turquesa, we wants to thank you for dedicating your time to share your experiences concerning your stay.

Comments like yours are the best motivation; we work to improve every day; we try to provide a good team and service to our guests.

Once again thank you for choosing The Royal Suites Turquesa and for trusting that we will give you your well deserved vacations. We invite you to return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa & Casino
Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Green Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to TRS Turquesa Hotel? Share your experiences!