“the most miserabile place on earth”
Review of TRS Turquesa Hotel

TRS Turquesa Hotel
Ranked #43 of 113 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 12 December 2013

deplorabile place, swiming pools not clean with portions of yellow on bottom, bed sheets and towels smeled and had a dubious color, rude people and fhe food was a disaster, low quality frozen and reheated, all cold cuts had a greenish color, nobody did anything without a tip.
We left after one day lost the money and went to aruba. the worst plase we went. the place and the personal there SUCKS

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank mitch b
ltajes, Manager at TRS Turquesa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Dear mitch b,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments after having stayed with us.

We truly regret to hear that we were not able to fulfill your expectations. Please be assured that we will never cease in our effort to improve the quality of our services and facilities.

L Tajes

Write a ReviewReviews (6,773)

Reviewed 12 December 2013

We spent 2 weeks in November 2013 in The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium courtesy of an upgrade from First Choice as there was building work going on in the Bavaro section of the resort that we had originally booked for. This on its own was a bonus, so when we were offered an upgrade to our upgrade we were over the moon. We cannot fault this resort. The staff (special thanks to Ramonita, who was always smiling and Maximo) were fabulous and although sometimes the language barrier made for interesting conversation, we were after all in their country so as we see it, it is up to us to make the effort to make ourselves understood . The standard of cleanliness in the rooms was first class and the food and the overwhelming number of cuisines you could have was just fantastic!! We have holidayed in Grand Palladium resorts 3 times now and I can say for certainty we will be back!! Thank you to all the staff and management for making our holiday so memorable.

2  Thank Janet S
Rsegarra, Manager at TRS Turquesa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Dear. Mrs. Janet S.

We would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Royal suites Turquesa & spa. For your vacation’s destination, as well as for letting us know about your recent experience, by the Posting of such comments in this important website. We put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinions. Our objective is not only to fulfill, but also surpass all our guest’s expectations like it was with yours.

Finally, I would like to thank you again for your constructive observations.

We deeply wish you merry Christmas.

sincerely.

R segarra.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

Enjoyed our stay at the Bavaro, however the upgrade to The Royal Suites was wonderful! I would like to give a BIG shout out to Nicholas, Maximo and staff for helping me celebrate my 40th birthday creating lifetime memories. I had an awesome time and we are already planning our next trip. See you sometime in July *^_^*

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear. Mrs. Fatima R.

We would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Royal suites Turquesa & spa. For your vacation’s destination, as well as for letting us know about your recent experience, by the Posting of such comments in this important website. We put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinions. Our objective is not only to fulfill, but also surpass our guests’expetations as it was on your birthday experience

Finally, I would like to thank you again for your constructive observations.

We deeply wish you merry Christmas and lookfaward to welcome you in july, please do not hesitate in contacting us before your arrival.

Your hospitality.

R segarra.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

Firstly I would like to say, I am totally astonished by some of the awful comments people have put about this hotel. Those people just complain about anything and everything!!! Of cause everyone has own opinion but when your talking total rubbish, keep them to yourself.

Checkin was fine, quick gave us champagne while we signed stuff and a cold flannel as was so hot. This was a nice touch.

Rooms are lovely, spacious, very clean, cleaned everyday from top to bottom. Mini bar stocked everyday. However nuts sometims forgotten. Huge bed, docking station, t.v, the service kept going off quite alot but there on holiday not for TV, had separate toilet and shower room, basic shower, good sized jacuzzi bath, which is heaven, couch and table. Over all very impressed,

Food, some people are correct food is not 100% the best however, not as bad as some make out, u will always find something that you like. Service in all restaurants could be a little slow but again not the 20-30 people have said, I did order steak a few times, asked for well done.but got.medium. As we were RST we had the 2 restaurants just that we could use, always nice to.go there if u want a relaxing.meal time.

Pools, we mostly stayed by the RST pool as was very quiet and relaxing. However I will agree with the towel on beds situation, I think this is awful and needs to be stopped. It's not fair the same people pick the same beds all thetime,.are there for about half an hour then go but still leave their towels on the beds!! Something the hotel staff could maybe look into changing. However you.could.go to a different pool and get a bed no problem.

All off the staff were amazing all so helpful, all said hello with smiles, expecially Manuel, who was on the RST pool bar of a.night.time. And Jose, who was our butler, couldn't do enough for you. Thank you. Clara, margerita, sandy dominga and annMarie were all lovely to.

We went on two trips while there for 3 weeks. Sahona island and dolphin explore, both booked in hotel from Kelly,a lovely man who is always there to help. We didn't see much.of our rep so found our own way to book,

Over all this.holiday was amazing, hotel staff everything about it!!!! Very very highly recommended to anyone.looking to go. Everyone has to make up their own mind.

• Stayed: November 2013
Rsegarra, Manager at TRS Turquesa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear. Mrs. / Mr. Shepo.

We would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Royal suites Turquesa & spa. For your vacation’s destination, as well as for letting us know about your recent experience.

In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinions. Our objective is not only to fulfill, but also surpass our guest’s expectations.

Finally, I would like to thank you again for your constructive observations.

We deeply wish you merry Christmas.

Your hospitality.

R segarra

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Just got back from this resort this morning, an hour late due to the moronic woman swearing and playing up on the plane. Luckily for us we had only just started to push back when the air stewards decided to get her off the plane, so at least we wasn't diverted mid flight and delayed for longer. Top marks for First choice in doing this and not the tour operators fault whatsoever.
First of all this resort is not a 5* at a push I would give it 3.
Come back tomorrow or I'll put you on the list is their favourite sayings, of course tomorrow never comes!

I emailed the resort a week ahead of us arriving and requested a swim-up room. We had a reply that day saying that requests came on a first come first served basis but they would try to accommodate us if they could. True to form at check- in there wasn't any swim-ups available. But they said that we had a deluxe room ( I'll use the term deluxe loosely, but more of that later) I will point out I wasn't expecting a swim up room for free and was prepared to pay the $20 a night that they charge for this luxury. In hindsight I should have bribed the reception staff with some cash then miraculously a swim up would have become available! A point to note - if it's first come first served and I am already in the resort then why were people arriving after us and getting these rooms - especially as I was already 'on the list'. These rooms are advertised at the bars, on the butlers' desks and all over reception. If the resort is banged out to capacity and no rooms are available then why advertise it!!! We were always asked come back tomorrow and try again. After 5 days I didn't even bother. I was told not to worry about having a swim up as we had a deluxe room that was better than a swim up, it was huge and we could entertain 20 people in it if we wanted! It was just me and my OH so why would I want a party room!

THE ROOM

This was in block 55 and on the top floor. the location is excellent as it's between the reception where you can access the main turquesa pool and the exclusive RST restaurants (the gourmet and Le Chanterelle). It was huge and looked great when we arrived. It was very clean and our pillows from the menu arrived that night. We had a separate toilet/shower room with 2 basins. We had a separate lounge area with a tv and a huge bed with a tv on the wall and the jacuzzi tub was a huge circular one that could easily accommodate 6 people!
However both the tv's didn't work, the jetted shower didn't work unless you just used the removable shower head spray and that gave you one hard jet of water that could strip paint and 3 squirts that spayed in every direction except over you. The shower door fell off and my OH had to mend it. When we switched on the jacuzzi tub there is a detachable shower head attached at the side of the tub, this was broken so we ended up with water being sprayed up to the ceiling and all over the tiled floor. The blinds in the room didn't open. We were supposed to have 'mood lighting' over the bed and this didn't come on. What is the point of having a 'luxury' room if nothing works! I would have preferred a standard room where everything works. We don't normally complain but we had a disastrous romantic meal so enough was enough and we trotted down to our butler to complain who referred us to reception to complain, who gave us a form to fill out that had to be handed back to our butler! We went out on an excursion the next day and came back to a fixed room. Everything except the blinds was mended hooray! Then I noticed a letter had been pushed through the door inviting us to the managers cocktail party at the zentropia spa that evening so we could meet the managers and discuss any issues.......mmmmm cynical....me!
The housekeeping left a lot to be desired, the bed was made and the bins emptied and the shower tray hosed down and that was about it, the floor was never brushed/mopped so it was just as well we had the slippers to keep our feet clean. The drinks from the minibar was replaced each day and at the beginning we were getting Budweiser but since Thanksgiving when a lot more Americans arrived we weren't getting it anymore................maybe I'm being cynical again!

THE RESTAURANTS/FOOD

We booked a romantic dinner under the stars to celebrate my OH birthday! DO NOT BOTHER! A complete waste of money. It was a very windy night, we had ONE candle which due to the wind was encased in a 6pint plastic milk carton! It had palm leaves sticking out of it. It gave us the highlight of the night because we laughed about it so much, It looked like a Xmas decoration my 4 year old nephew would make! The food was atrocious. I can only assume that they like you to eat in the pitch dark is so you can't see it! First of all they give you bread rolls (hard) with margarine, I hate margarine so asked for butter, they gave me more margarine! I asked for butter in Spanish and got more margarine! I'm not a big drinker so asked for a regular coke, I got a diet coke, I can't drink diet drinks I hate the artificial taste so asked for a regular coke and the waiter laughed and said they don't have it. Was he taking the p*** we are in an all-inclusive resort right by the El Bohio restaurant and he can't get a coke......really? He then presented us our starters, we had pate which was rock hard too and looked like slabs of cold meat slices, all in all it took nearly an hour for our drinks and starters to arrive, considering you order your meal in advance and are designated a time slot surely it's not rocket science to have things prepared and ready for you!!!! When he came back to take away the plates the food went back virtually untouched, so no starter! Then after another 20 mins he gave us our soup. I tasted it while he was still there and it was cold and salted to the max! It tasted like a solution of salty water that my mum used to make us swig when our milk teeth fell out and as it was too dark to see it could well have been! We had both had enough of it by then so we told him we were leaving and got up to go, as he could see his tip walking with us he became more helpful trying to get us to stay and saying he would get me a coke (WTF) and try to sort something else out for us to eat. We ended up celebrating this birthday eating at the El Bohio which was probably better than the main meal we were supposed to have. So in effect no romantic dinner! Like I said before I did complain and was told that we wouldn't have to pay.

Le Chanterelle
Ate in here once, very bad service, took 20 mins to get a drink and another 10 to give our order so 30 mins all in. Ordered the avocado and prawn for a starter and as everyone raves about the chateaubriand we decided to have this as our main. The starter took another 30 mins to arrive so all in an hour of being seated till the starter being presented. The starter arrived and it was wrong they gave us french onion soup, so they took it back and 10 mins later we got our starter, The prawns were huge, rubbery and still had the black stuff on their spines so they obviously haven't been cleaned, didn't eat the starters because of this. I wasn't taking any chances and luckily for us we wasn't ill for any of the holiday. The chateaubriand arrived 20 mins later and this was as tough as old boots! After chewing and chewing it still wasn't going anywhere so I had to spit it in my napkin, not very ladylike but better than choking to death, and as we already know the service in here is so slow that by the time a waiter came to do the Heimlich manoeuvre I would already be in the ground.

Le Gourmet
Again very slow for service especially at breakfast, it takes a good 15 mins to be acknowledged and to get a coffee. The breakfast are all the standard stuff in the buffet section I.e cold meats, cheese, salad, rolls, bread, MARGARINE! Jam cereal etc. The omelettes, eggs, and pancakes are cooked to order so they are lovely and hot when they arrive, you just have to be prepared to wait for it.
They do a lunch here too, and the menu changes daily, I had the best meal of my holiday here, try the flank steak ravioli! Had cheeseburgers here twice, both times very good.
Had most of our evening meals here, a bit hit and miss if they get your steak right! We ordered a well done and a medium, both came to us bloody! The lamb chops were nice, a lot of bone but the meat was cooked lovely. mash potato is just plain boiled potato mashed, no butter or milk added and the baked potato is very hard. Makes a change from rice though!

Torres
We also had breakfast at the Torres buffet when we had excursions booked to save time. The wait time for a coffee is still 15 mins or so. Its a bit un-dignified like feeding time at the zoo! Lots of staff trying to look busy but no body actually doing anything. It's the same in the evening, they have themed nights, Sunday is Asian, Monday is American, Tuesday and rest of week I didn't bother because food is so crap. Everything is over cooked like the chicken, so that when you take the skin off half the chicken comes off with it or undercooked like the chicken that was pink in the middle. You cannot help yourself to meat so have to get the server to carve it for you, ration size portions, I asked for ribs and got 3, which was mostly fat and no meat, considering this was the only thing that looked appetising this night and would be the only thing I ate I was quite disappointed.

El Bohio
This is where they do the buffet lunch, again very monotonous, pasta, paninis, burgers, pizza, salad, all the norm and of course rice, chicken, fish, always spoiled by being served in a horrible sauce.
The evening menu is much better and the service here was the best we had in the whole resort, Luis was the manager on duty our night here and he was in the gourmet a couple of days later and remembered us, a very friendly guy, nothing is too much trouble. he should be made head of all the staff, he has all the people skills and excellent customer service!

We tried to get into the other restaurants but they only have specific eating times, 6 pm (too early for us) 8pm and 10pm (too late). We asked our butler to make reservations for us at 8pm but was told they are all fully booked, try tomorrow and then I'll put you on the list! If you do come here talk to your butler as soon as you arrive, sit down with them and book your restaurants all at the same time if you want to eat in any of them, it's probably the only way you will be guaranteed an 8pm eating time.

All in all I lost 6Ibs while I was here! And like I said I wasn't ill but that may be because I'm fussy, if I didn't like the look of it then I wasn't going to eat it. Please or offend I don't care that I've waited an hour for food to be served to me. I would and did walk out!

ENTERTAINMENT

Dated and not worth staying up for, was looking forward to the circus show, we saw it advertised outside the Torres, was told it was on in the bavaro section that night at 10pm, we turned up and it was a completely different show. None of the staff have a clue! Go to the board outside the Palladium Palace, this generally has the best info

BARS

Palladium palace in our opinion had the best service and atmosphere, they have a small band playing most nights, the music is a bit repetitive but it's the best way to relax and unwind, just get there early if you want to sit at a table. About 8pm it gets busy and you are trying to find somewhere to sit, as soon as you get up you've got people waiting to jump in your grave.
The pool bar at the royal pool is lovely when you come off the beach. There is also a bar in the swim up section, at this bar you can get cold wraps and sandwiches at lunch time, but it's hunt the chicken in the Caesar salad and chicken wrap! Twice I had one minus the chicken, just a lot of lettuce and sauce! Sometimes it service with a smile, depends who is working there as the staff seem to get rotated around the different bars. Our last day, the girl on duty liked to favour serving the men before the women, and kept me waiting even though I was there first! Its an English thing I know, I just don't think anyone else gets the concept of queuing! Or maybe I wasn't tipping her enough! I do tip but not every time I want just a coke otherwise it would be cheaper for me to buy a bottle instead.

SPORTS BAR

Seemed to be open 24 hours, came here once to eat at 10.30 pm because we missed dinner due to watching a show. one poor guy working on his own, taking orders, cooking orders and all the stuff for the buffet bit, ie pizzas, chicken, hot dogs etc and serving them too. He was rushed off his feet, looked really harassed but he still produced a great philly steak panini. I would have spent more time here but it was too loud! Lots of whiny, noisy, shouty, voices from drunk -so -much-alcohol- people who are old enough to know better. I thought all the noise coming from there was from a bunch of teens but when I looked over it was a group of 40+ year olds. And it wasn't just here they were loud! It was all day by the pool too! Bring your Walkie-talkies and stop shouting- other people have paid a lot of money to come here to relax!

GROUNDS

Absolutely spotless, the gardens are beautiful and well maintained. The yellow paths are always being washed down and are very slippery so be careful. the pools were always clean but cold! You just have to be brave and jump straight in

POOLS

If you want to get a place by the royal pool then on your first day get up at 5am. Leave your dirty towels here overnight and an old magazine and you will have the same bed the next day! It's lovely being adults only, you can try to relax while loud mouthed people get pi***d and shout all around you. If you prefer the gentle laughter of better behaved children then you don't have to get up at 5am and you can always find a nice place to chill out at the palace pool. The pool in the Bavarro section was quiet too.
Note that as RST guests you don't have a towel card system, hence the leaving of towels on beds and loungers all day with nobody sitting there! Really frustrating and about time this was looked into. It means that if you don't have a towel card you cannot pick up a towel in any other part of the resort, only in the RST section. We got to the Royal pool to get a towel and the guy there didn't have any. He was even too busy making palm leaf origami animals to acknowledge us so we had to traipse round the resort to the swim up section pool area and get a towel here. Also in this section behind block 55 is a lovely quiet, clean pool and lots of loungers that you don't need to reserve at the crack of dawn. I don't get it, you're on your holiday. Why do you want to get up earlier than you do when you've got to go to work?

BEACH

The jewel in the crown, absolutely stunning, soft sand, palm trees, turquoise sea, always a lounger available, especially near the palace section.

Check Out

I wanted a late check out as we didn't get picked up until 3.30pm was told that you can't request it until 24 hours before as they don't know if they need the room back by then. Went down there the day before and guess what ..............come back tomorrow at 9.00am. The reason I want a late check out is obvious, I don't want to wait until 9.00 on the day I'm flying home to be told no then I've got to rush around like a blue ar**d fly to be out of the room by 12!

Was told I owed them $150 for the romantic meal, when I told her that I complained about the meal at the time and that the bill had been wavered her smile dropped and she got an attitude, I showed her the yellow piece of paper which was my copy of the complaint form I filled out ( I had a feeling they would try to[--]me - but hey she tried it with a smile) and she stomped off to see her manager, then she came back with a face on her like I had given her a 10 bob summons and got on her Walkie talkie to get someone to check our room, no doubt to try to squeeze more money from us.

EXCURSIONS
Booked them on the beach, be sure to haggle as some groups got the same trips cheaper. we only booked 2 trips as a lot of what is offered we have done in other countries. We went to Soana Island, a beautiful place, nothing much to do but it stops you going stir crazy staying in the resort all day. Lunch was included and to be fair it was nice, edible and cooked properly!
Wee also took the courtesy bus to the 2 shopping malls. They have Ralph Lauren, Guess and a few other brands but to be honest the prices are cheaper at home. I love to shop but I didn't even spend all my money which is virtually unheard of!

TOUR REP

what tour rep?????? Didn't see her once, we didn't even get a letter through our door to let us know what time we were getting picked up from reception. Never ever in all of my travels have I not been given the departure time of when we are supposed to be picked up! it is just as well that I had checked the book where the tour operators sit and found out myself. Otherwise it would have meant I was staying another night with the girl who got kicked off our plane!

By the way the only queue that had any speed to it was the one at the airport coming home when you have to pay your departure tax! CYNICAL.........MOI?

Would I come back here.......A BIG FAT NO!!

2  Thank millwallshaz
Rsegarra, General Manager at TRS Turquesa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for selecting The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium as the place to spend your recent holidays as well as for the time you took to share your inquietudes.

With great concern I have studied all of your observations and I regret to learn that we could not reach your expectations. Please receive my sincerest apology for any inconvenience you may have experienced while on vacation.

The comments of our guests are of the utmost importance to us for the fact that we can detect rooms for improvements and can therefore take the appropriate measures to improve our product as well as the quality of our services.

R. Segarra

Reviewed 8 December 2013

This was our second trip in a year to the RST. We are now pretty familiar with the "lay of the land" and how things work here. We like this resort very much, and as with everybody we have comments about different things:
General: The people who rate the resort one or two stars have no clue and seem to be the type of traveller who criticize everything due to some crazy notion of what they perceive high quality service should be at these all-inclusive resorts. They live in a dream world where their expectations could never be achieved at any resort. We generally ignore outright all the one and two star reviews as being the ramblings of people who just don't get it, and won't be satisfied on any trip they take, no matter where.
Here are our thoughts:

Reception and management:
Cudos to Ronny Avila the RST room manager who gave us without hassle a tour of some of the deluxe and swim up rooms when we asked. He seemed to remember us from our last visit also. Generally a pleasant guy. Thanks Ronny. We had no problem with reception or check in... very fast and easy. Someone was always available to assist. Sean M. (again) who said he couldn't find any managers anywhere must have been looking in all the wrong places, or not really at all. We never have a problem.

Rooms: The resort is pretty good for an all-inclusive, although some sections are older than others, but there are renovations in progress, I guess on a rotating basis. Mainly other sections of the Palladium are being re-furbished rather than the RST. The rooms are showing a bit of wear and tear. For example we had a Junior Suite in building 50 overlooking the pool. The ceiling over the Jacuzzi had taken a water hit, likely from the room above, and was not fixed properly, so paint was peeling. The Jacuzzi itself did not work at all (The jets), but we didn't report it until the end of our stay. There were a few chips here and there in the tiles, nothing major. Over all, the room was good, and we intentionally booked in the same building as we did on our previous trip as it is close to the beach, with a partial ocean view. I have to laugh at some comments such as Sean M. (From Ireland) who was annoyed his (all included) room supply of liquor (gin, rum, vodka, and Scotch) were not in full bottles. I wonder what he thinks happens to the bottles if a guest only has a drink or two? That they pour the rest of it down the toilet and replace it? Come on Sean M., for the price you pay for this vacation, and unless you drink all that booze yourself, I am sure it's adequate for everyone. However, we had 4 full, unopened bottles in our room. The fridge was also restocked every day. One comment: would be nice if they turned the hallway (breeze way) lights out earlier than sun-rise, since they shine through the opaque glass in the shower and into the room. Have to block them with towels.
Oh, and one hope is that they could do something with the pool generator pump system as it buzzes all night outside the building 50 rooms closest to the main building. Is there a solution?

Pool and Beach:
OK... there is definitely an issue here with getting palapas at the pool and the beach unless you understand the system. The only way to get a good palapa at poolside is to either wait until all staff leave the pool bar after midnight, and then claim your spot with towels, magazines, etc., or do the same at 5am. The beach is a bit easier, maybe by 6 - 6:30 am. Some idiot even stole my magazine! I agree that there should be a fairer system, and easier. We shouldn't have to be forced to wake up at 5 am to do this at a 5 star resort. (Thus our rating of 4 stars)

Restaurants:
I have got to say, the food at all the restaurants we ate at was much better this trip. One of the main reasons we go to RST is because of the two dedicated French restaurants: Chanterelle and Gourmet. These two have great food, even by some city standards. The Chateau Briand for two at Chanterelle is amazing, as is the table side Crepe Suzette production complete with Brandy and Cognac. Cudos also to Robinson, one of the nicest waiters around. But they are all good, and friendly, and smiling all the time. People who can't see this are just not nice people themselves. How the Domincans put up with some of these idiot travellers I don't know.
We also enjoyed the food at the newly renovated Mariachi (wonderful new deck!), the Marenostrum sea food (no one can complain that RST guests get FREE Caribbean lobster here), the Parillo steak house (still laugh at the rhinoceros heads on the walls !! - long horns!!).

Bars

We have found a home at Hemingway's, and made friends with the indigenous piano player, Juan Manuel Perez. Love how he knows most tunes, and will even try your request if he hasn't played it. Send him a drink, and see him smile! Love the RST lobby bar also. Love the guitar guy playing at the Palace and Bavara lobby bars from time to time. Actually did "Stairway to Heaven" on a Spanish Guitar!

Our main beef about this resort actually is the huge cell tower just beside it in the neighbouring village. At least they got them to turn off the red light at night !

Please tip the waiters and waitresses, bell boys, etc... they deserve it. Anyone who complains about their efforts is an idiot.

Well that's it. We will be back.

Bill and Debbie

Room Tip: email in advance to suggest your room location preference.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bill d
Rsegarra, General Manager at TRS Turquesa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Dear bill d,

On behalf of The Royal Suites Turquesa by Palladium I would like to extend you our gratitude for choosing us a second time as well as for sharing your experience with future travelers to our destination.

We are more than glad to receive your valuable feedback. This kind of communications is the best way to maintain the level of standard of service that we strive for and also help us to detect the rooms for improvement.

Thank you for highlighting the attentions demonstrated by Ronny Avila during your stay. I will personally pass on your compliments.

We thank again and will be attentive to your next visit at this, your second home.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

R. Segarra

Reviewed 7 December 2013

We arrived at the Royal Suites on 20th November and stayed until the 4th December. Thomson and the hotel had upgraded us from the Bavaro due to building works as we booked back in January and we were so excited as the hotel was the best we have ever stayed in.

We were in block 55 between the swim ups and the lobby, great location and the room was on the 3rd floor 5528 everything worked great and was in great condition. Our Butlers Juan and Dylan were lovely and did everything they could for us. We were desperate to upgrade to a swim up for the last week and they managed to find us a room in the same block with all day sun (5509) for the last few days which was a great finish to the holiday!

Restaurants - We tended to stick to Royal Gourmet, Chantarelle and other ala carts as it was a major treat being served excellent food every night, so cant comment on buffets for dinner. We went to beach buffet in Bavaro couple times for breakfast as it was a nice walk along the beach and the palace buffet was ok for lunch once but they were just so busy and hard to find a table and get someone to give you water etc. The RST restaurants were superb the food was excellent, the salads, choice of dishes and drinks service mmm. I'm sorry we don't know many of the names but they were all lovely, Robinson was always smiling and kept our drinks topped up! We also went to Brazilian, Japanese and Steakhouse, all were excellent!

We did a mixture of the beach and swim up pool area during the day. It was impossible to get round the main pool as chairs were taken very early but you could get loungers on the beach by about 8, the beach was lovely and had drinks service which was reasonably regular. As the sea was a little rough for us we tended to stick to the pool around the swim up rooms as you could always get a Bali bed anytime of the day, it was very quiet and the bar was handy and never too busy.

Despite previous reviews the pools were not dilapidated, yes there was a couple missing tiles but that's all. They were cleaned daily and tested throughout the day. If I had one small criticism I would say that they needed to hose the area around the pool at swim up area to get rid of collected rubbish.

Bars were great, drink was never hard to get hold of and measures and quality was great. Being able to get cava/champagne at any bar was a treat (mimosa at 9am :-) ) Coffee was also excellent if you had too much the night before haha.

Shopping - We went to the San Juan shopping centre twice using free bus (pick up from Palace) and would recommend, plenty of tourist shops and the supermarket is dirt cheap for drink/coffee/cigars! Stay away from the resort shop as its well overpriced but would recommend the short walk about 300m along beach right hand side of hotel to Russian supermarket (Cussie) as the prices are much lower than hotel if you didn't want to go to San Juan. You need to battle the onslaught from local traders along the route but a simple no gracias and keep your head down is enough!

No issues with reception staff language problems despite previous reviews but as we had no issues we didn't need to speak to them very much. If you tried a few words of Spanish it is appreciated but as long as your not rude and smile then you will get great service from all staff. I was shocked the attitude of some guests and how they treated the staff... so rude at times it just wasn't necessary. These people work long hours for little money and I'm sure have bad days like the rest of us but I would say 90% of time they are fantastic.

We would definitely recommend this hotel, it gave us two weeks of complete relaxation and was above and beyond our expectations.

2  Thank mcpaints
Rsegarra, Gerente at TRS Turquesa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear. Mrs. Mr. Mcpaints

Thank you for choosing the Grand Palladium Bavaro suites Resort & Spa. For your holiday and the publication of your opinion in this important network.

We are very pleased to know that our atmospheres of calm and relaxation, the service from all our staff have provided you an unforgettable stay.

Always we congratulate those whose work makes you feel in a friendly ambiance to have a wonderful experience as we desire.

We look forward to welcome you back very soon.

Merry Christmas.