“Beautiful resort on the water!”

Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts
Ranked #34 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I organized a trip with my fiancé, two sisters, four nieces and nephew and brother-in-law for Christmas week. Not knowing what to expect with a new trip, my family and I had a fantastic time! The resort could not have been better! The staff was great and The activity organizer, James Bond, was terrific and made our trip much more fun and enjoyable. We would highly recommend this resort!

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Margy678
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having shared your impressions.

I feel proud and grateful to hear that your experience with us left a memorable impression on you and your family.

At Sanctuary Cap Cana we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, and it is a real pleasure for me to hear that we have achieved our goal. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence.

Thank you for the great review and for recommending our hotel to future travelers.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

My fiancé and I stayed at The Sanctuary Cap Cana from December 14th-21st. When we left for vacation, we were not engaged, but while we were there he set up, with the help of the staff, the Private Romantic Beach Dinner. It was the perfect proposal and of course I said YES! We stayed in a Junior Suite with an Oceanview. I loved our view and our room was so close to everything!

The weather was delightful the entire time we were there. It was 85 and sunny, but always a breeze so you did not feel like you were baking in the sun all day. The food was pretty good, except for Capriccio, the Italian restaurant. Neither of us enjoyed our meal there but it wasn't that big of a deal because we just went to the other restaurant that was open that night, or you could just order room service. I'm a huge dessert person so at the steakhouse, the Tres Leches (3 milk) Cake and Warm Chocolate Tort were my favorite. There wasn't too much night life, but then again, after drinking and being in the sun all day, we were exhausted by 10 or 11

I can't say enough about the staff!! They were so warm and inviting. They made our stay at The Sancuary Cap Cana unforgettable. From James Bond for activities, Junior the poolside waiter, to Rosa our housekeeper and the room service staff, it was incredible. We played beach volleyball everyday. Rosa even folded my fiancé DIRTY gym clothes (I won't even do that!!!) The staff put rose petals all over our room the night of our engagement and made us a bubble bath with rose petals too! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!!

The only thing I would say that we did not like was we were told that the resort was adults only, however it is not. We were looking for a relaxing vacation without screaming and crying children around (I am a nanny for 3), so getting away from children was a big deciding factor for us. There was not an abundance of children, but enough to notice and move chairs on some days. We did book our vacation through Expedia, so they may have made a mistake in their advertisement.

Overall, we had a wonderful time, met great people, and enjoyed everyday and night there. We are definitely looking to return here and would recommend this resort to anyone looking to stay in Punta Cana/Cap Cana.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jamie W

Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay with us and it is a real honor for me to hear your comments and it is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed our facilities, the walk through our grounds and corridors and the service provided by our staff.

Thank you for preferring Our Sanctuary!

We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

A beeautiful property with an old spaniard fortress look. The service was great. Although they need to improve the check in process; a little slow. The food was really good and varied with five restaurants to choose from. A real Sanctuary retreat. The best spa treatment my wife and I ever had.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Jaotmd

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure to read, that you had a wonderful experience in our Sanctuary, we are very happy to know that you enjoyed our facilities, our culinary experience and the service provided for all our staff. Our main goal I the total satisfaction of our guests, and we are very glad to read that we accomplish that goal during your stay.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed 14 night from Dec 21st 2013 to Jan 4th 2014 at the Sanctuary Cap Cana, we had the best vacation ever. We stayed in many resort at the Bavaro side and frankly I confirm the Sanctuary Cap Cana is our best experience.

Passengers information: 2 adults and 3 teenagers (18 & 16 and 13 years old)

Hotel : the resort is very nice, inspired design combines the charm of a Spanish colonial village.

Front desk: very polite and helpful.

The room: we booked the Ocean view room, we sent a request for the joining rooms and the hotel was able to answer our request.

The service: The stuff was very professional, outstanding service throughout the whole time.

Activities: Our kids played Volley Ball everdy they really enjoy it and I took the Spanish lesson (Thank you Rocky), Aqua gym & Samba dance by the pool ( Thank you James Bond)

Restaurant: At this resort no reservation for the restaurant a la carte is required, we loved to eat at lunch time at the Merlin restaurant (Ronald is always smiling he is the best) , also we tried the Steakhouse (our favorite) the Wok (is the best) and the Italian restaurant, there is also a buffet CasaBella very clean and a lot of variety of food.

The beach: Wow! Courageous! There is private beach and also you have the infinity Julliano Beach in the left side of the resort and another beach in the right side of the resort….Peace and heaven!!!

Entertainment: during the day, there is always something to do the stuff is always present to keep a nice ambiance around the pool. At night we had a life guitar show with a international guitar player : Arturo Fuentes….Everybody enjoyed the show it was magic.

Overall this hotel worth a real 5* no doubt on that! We are planning to come back this summer and we are sure we will be satisfied as the first time.

As a travel agent I recommend this hotel with no hesitation!

I would like to thank the Sales Manager: Joan Rodrigues for taking time to meet myself in order to visit the resort, I had a real professional service, thank you very much.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Aziza B

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am delighted to hear about your recent experience at Sanctuary, as well I would like to thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to write your impressions.

Exceeding the expectations of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this it is necessary to provide good service and attitude; therefore I am proud to hear that our staff went above and beyond in their effort to fulfill all your needs.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

I booked this resort through Jetsetter.com after reading several reviews. My husband and I were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and wanted everything to be special. I did become a little worried after seeing so many negative reviews but upon arrival, the staff was wonderful and the resort as beautiful as I hoped it would be. We stayed in a Junior Oceanview Suite which was very nice. It could use a little updating but was always very clean. Unlike others, we did not receive a Champagne drink upon arrival nor were we shown any other accommodations. We decided we liked the location of our room so did not request to see other rooms to upgrade. We ate at all the restaurants at the resort. We liked the Blue Marlin or Casa Bella for lunch and had wonderful meals at Capriccio and The Wok. The steak at the Steakhouse was just OK but the crème brulee was outstanding! I would suggest making a reservation when you arrive for the hibachi at The Wok - our chef was wonderful and funny - he truly made the evening. The pool service was excellent - we never had to try to find anyone to ask for a drink. We did tip for every meal and drink service - we wanted to reward them as they worked very hard to please. I'm sure the service would have been the same had we not tipped. Menor and Mammajuanna were wonderful with poolside activities - always encouraging people to join in but never pressuring. The beach is very rocky and my husband did cut his foot on the last day we were there. That is my main complaint as we are beach people but chose to spend our days at the pool because of the rockiness of the beach.

The vendors that are there a few days a week are very annoying and we did everything we could to avoid them. It is too bad they are allowed at the pool area - if they didn't constantly hound you every time you walked by, it wouldn't be so bad.

Many people we spoke with said they were upgraded free of charge when they checked in - I'm not sure what it takes to be upgraded, but we were not offered that choice.

All in all, we enjoyed our vacation at this property but will probably try another property when we return to the Dominican Republic.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Diane R

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana

The comments and suggestion of our guest’s are of the utmost importance and assistance to us and I greatly appreciate the time you took to post your review after having stayed with us.

I am glad to hear that your vacation have been better than you expected and it is clear to me that we have achieved our goal. Notwithstanding, your comments on improvement areas will be part of our daily work.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again at

Reviewed 6 January 2014

I loved everything about this hotel. The property is a lot more stunning in da flesh than in photographs. The staff is really friendly and helpful without overdoing it. The rooms match the overall look and feel of the hotel and are extremely comfortable and well furnished. Wish I Stayed more days. Lovely

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Karilyn C

Dear Guest,

Thank you for preferring Our Sanctuary!

We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed at Sanctuary Cap Cana in early December as part of a 6 person group for 5 nights. We enjoyed the experience at this beautiful resort.

Pros
- Beautiful grounds: Well manicured, lots of scenic views.
- Great pools: Highly recommend spending time at the Castle pool even if you aren't staying in the Castle. It has a great view and is more private than the main pool.
- No reservations required for restaurants except hibachi
- Beach: Check out the public beach next door.
- Decent gym
- Quality drinks: above average liquor available
- Entertainment: Go watch the Newlywed game. It's good for a laugh. There is also volleyball, big chess game, beer pong, etc around the pool.

Cons
- Internet: While WIFI is available in most public areas and a wired connection is available in the room (bring your own router if you want wifi in the room), the connections can be unreliable. The number of users seems to overpower the resorts internet capability.
- Food: While the food was never awful, it was hit and miss. I'd avoid the lunch buffet and eat at the blue marlin.

Be cautious of the room upgrades - we were "upgraded" to a bigger room but the view was a definite downgrade.

Overall, I don't think you can go wrong by staying at this resort.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends