“Loved it! Relaxing, beautiful sanctuary.”

Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol
Ranked #41 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
“Loved it! Relaxing, beautiful sanctuary.”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at Santuary Cap Cana for seven nights in late Feb 2014. The resort's scenery is flawless. Gorgeous palm trees, ocean, pools, perfectly-manicured lawns, flowers, and plants. You're greeted with "Welcome Home" and given a delicious drink upon arrival. Temps in the mid 80s everyday. It was a wonderful experience and I loved spending my birthday in paradise. :)

Rooms: There are many options for rooms: gorgeous Spanish-style buildings, the Castle (adults only), or private villas. All rooms have available ocean-front views. We originally booked a junior ocean suite but were upgraded to a private villa. While I cannot speak to the Castle rooms or other room types, our stay in our private villa was amazing. It was like our own private house in paradise. Super comfy, king size bed. Fresh flowers placed on our bed and towels each day. High ceilings, nice furniture and decor, everything worked properly. 24 hr room service available, rooms cleaned everyday.

Pools and Beaches: All unique. The main pool is always very busy. Tough to get a towel/seat at times. Main pool has a swim-up bar and the water aerobics class at noon is always fun and high-energy. We enjoyed the infinity pool to the left of the main lobby. The water spills down into another pool below. It was always less crowded, had hammocks, and the view from there is beautiful. Another hidden gem is the pool on top of the Castle. Not much seating but quiet and great view! The resort beach was nice. Again, usually crowded. The beach to the left of the Castle (Juanillo Beach) is beautiful and worth seeing. A bit windy though. :)

Food and Service: All Inclusive. Food is okay. I mean, not terrible, but not terrific. Everyone will have different tastes as far as favorite restaurants. Our favorite for dinner was the Italian place, Cappricio. Small portions, but we liked the food. Can't beat Blue Marlin for lunch (the view alone made it our favorite lunch spot). Service was a bit slow, but who's in a hurry? You're on vacation! ;) Everyone was polite and always smiling. Drinks and bars were good, and I liked the "Drink of the Day" thing they did. Bernardo at the Love Bar is so entertaining. Try the Mamajuana shot at least once. ;) For my birthday, my boyfriend booked us a romantic, private dinner on the beach. It was lovely. And, the door to our villa was decorated with a Happy Birthday sash and balloons. I also had a bottle of champagne and a birthday cake waiting for me inside our villa.

Excursions: We did Hoyo Azul and Catamaran boat experience. Hoyo Azul was great (see my review of it) and the Catamaran was awesome! You go out on a boat, see the coast, snorkel in the Caribbean (my favorite part of the trip!), then drink and dance on the boat. Then we anchor in the middle of the Sea to drink, listen to music, and enjoy each other's company. SO FUN! You can book them both from Santuary Cap Cana, very easy.

The only place where we had issues was getting through to the resort to confirm our booking. It seemed impossible for awhile...always being transferred around and never getting to speak to a person who could confirm our reservation. But, it did work out, and I'm glad it did. We had the best experience and made great memories. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Private villas are the way to go. :)
2 Thank Crystalite23
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am delighted to hear about your recent experience at Sanctuary, as well I would like to thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to write your impressions.

Exceeding the expectations of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this it is necessary to provide good service and attitude; therefore I am proud to hear that our staff went above and beyond in their effort to fulfill all your needs.

Thank you for the great review and for recommending our hotel to future travelers.

Ignacio Perez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,247)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Amazing resort, 5 star staff! We are a slightly older couple and we went to Cap Cana to get married/ honeymoon there and just returned. Hector, Stephanie and Metz at reception were great!! They upgraded us to the castle room with a private beach entrance for our honeymoon to ensure all was perfect. Jose at the front door was always eager to help and constantly had a smile for us. Jean at the Casa Bella served us every am & always had a table for us. Food was great, plenty of choices! Resort older but so well maintained, this staff works feverishly on up keep. Grounds are gorgeous and immaculate!! Our wedding planner Stephany was top notch and did a great job. Pools are beautiful, rooms clean and spacious. Romantic beach dinner is a must. Restaurants were great!! Our favorites: The Wok, The Casa Bella, The Blue Marlin, The Steak House and The Capricio. Drinks were great, top shelf alcohol was the norm. Maid service 2x a day so plenty of towels. The lighting and niches to sit and read or talk are limitless and very cozy. Not a spring break hot spot, which is good if you want a laid back vacation. Mostly 35 and up or families, so really a nice resort for married or a little older crowd. Seemed to be plenty of chairs, most reserve them with the towels in the am but you can find a chair up to 9- 10 am. Beach isn't really large but very nice with adequate chairs allotted. There is a public beach on each side of the hotel that you can safely walk on and it too is well maintained. The furniture is all upscale and newer so it look and sits nicely. It is a BEAUTIFUL resort with a fantastic staff!! ALSOL should be thrilled with the staff they employ there, they work feverishly to take care of everything you need and keep that resort looking so spotless. We noticed a hammock was ripped and less than an hour later the staff was replacing it with a new one. They walk that property consistently make sure no items like that go unnoticed. We travel a lot through out the year and go to Jamaica yearly but The Sanctuary has quickly earned its way to a top spot for resorts to revisit and that's no easy task. We will definitely return to this hidden gem, it has proven that small resorts can indeed compete with the large resorts. Well done Alsol!!!

Room Tip: If your not a honeymooner or dont get that upgrade then pay a little more and get an ocean front sui...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kit S
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having shared your impressions.

I feel proud and grateful to hear that your experience with us left you a memorable impression.

At Sanctuary Cap Cana we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, and it is a real pleasure for me to hear that we have achieved our goal. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence.

Hartford CT
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We spent 5 fast days at Santuary. Overall a fantastic, quick escape from the cold.
Upon arrival we were offered an upgrade. We were v skeptical but had an amazing result.

We booked an oceanfront junior suite in the castle. We were instead brought to a VILLA.
A 2 story palace: 2 massive bathrooms, a giant bedroom suite, 2 indoor pools
and no smell at all. The space was v uptodate. No broken tiles, just a direct ocean view!

My group had never been to an all inclusive. We assumed it would require careful food
selection, and it did. But we found some good salads and just enough to keep us happy.
We liked The Wok and lunch at the Blue Marlin. We never needed reservations.

Drinks were our biggest issue. We would have happily paid for a REAL grey goose martini.
Some how all the alcohol (except beer and wine) did seem watered down. It was frustrating. I wish they said house liquor was free and top shelf was extra. We would have been happy to pay!

Staff was always cheerful and available for us. We did make a point of tipping and found everyone knew us pretty quickly. We never waited for drinks or food. All smiling and attentive.
Tip!! It is well worth it!!

Room Tip: We loved the castle. And an Oceanfront is on the ocean... Ocean view is never a good choice at any...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank lisawHartfordCT
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for share your recent experience in our Sanctuary on Trip Advisor.

It is a pleasure to read, that you had a wonderful holiday in our resort, we are glad to learn that you enjoyed our facilities and Service.

We are very grateful with your mention about our associates, thank you very much for recognize their work and for comment the details that they have had with you, our team consists of people that are always ready to go the extra mile, in order to provide an excellent service and to transform your vacations into memorable moments.

Be sure that they will know about your review and you recognition, they will be more than happy to know the good impression that they left on you.

On another hand, concerning your recomendations for the alcoholic drinks, I should note that we have a large selection of quality drinks which are generally pleasing the customer. However,
Our guest´s observations are vital for us, because we can improve our service and learn what our guest are looking for. We appreciate all your notes; we assure you that we will be working on it.

We hope to have the honor to host you again in the future.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Stayed at Sanctuary Cap Cana in February 2014. Had a Junior Suite beachside, approximately 65 square meters.

The positive reviews about the place are all right on the money - in summary:

Food was the best "all-inclusive" that I have seen (and I have seen many). Breakfast and lunch at Bella Casa were great, and my favorite for dinner was the Steakhouse, also had a good experience at Italian restaurant, and Wok (Japanese) and Blue Marlin restaurants were good.

Property is very beautiful, well-maintained, and service was friendly and great.

Fitness center was decent, and you will be able to do everything you need - cardio equipment was better than at most Caribbean resorts.

The location is about 20 minutes from the airport ($30 each way) but little far from any shopping and such. It is a $40 cab ride each way to get to the nearest shopping center, so do yourself a favor and bring all you need from home. The gift shop and minimarket on the property have very limited supplies.

Beach is not quite as great as at a few other resorts in DR, but still no complaints - plus I liked the fact that the resort's private location means that you can safely leave stuff at your spot on the beach without having to worry about your things walking away on their own while you are swimming.

I had time to do a few short excursions - Cave tour very cool and highly recommend. Hoyo Azul Eco Tour is nice, and in the end you can swim in the blue cave lagoon, which is very cool. You can easily do both these tours the same day as they are only about 2.5 hours each, but make sure to do the Cave tour first in the morning, as it involves a 15-minute nice hike up the mountainslope.

Also had time to do a 20-minute helicopter sighseeing ride. Very highly recommend, even if I am biased since I fly for living....But the optimum time is 20-minutes on this excursion - you will see everything and you will thank yourself for doing it.

Over the past 6-7 years I have been to 6 different resorts in DR, and so far this is my favorite. If you are wondering whether to choose Sanctuary over almost all of the other local resorts, let me make it easy for you - do it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Peku K
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

We are so thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana, it is our PASSION to service our guest with the finest hospitality. We want to guarantee a vacation that will be unforgettable, thank you for you kind remarks and recognition of efforts. Please tell your friends about our hotel.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Pataskala, Ohio
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Not sure why this resort gets so many so-so reviews. We just returned and had a great time and have very little to 'complain' about. First, we were greeted with the lovely 'Welcome' drink and then taken to our beautiful room in the castle. THANK YOU HECTOR, for this amazing room. We had the most beautiful ocean view.

The breakfast buffet was good, especially the omelet station. We often ate lunch at the buffet and there was plenty to choose from. We also ordered a hamburger or salad while laying beachside and they bring it right to you. Our favorite restaurant was the Italian. There were 6 people in our group and everyone one of us agreed. The Steakhouse always gets great reviews, but we were not impressed. The service was very slow. The Blue Marlin was decent but the Italian restaurant is the only one we visited twice. Bottom line on food. If you are going to an all inclusive for the food, then you probably should think again. They are making a huge variety of food for hundreds of people so don't expect it be like a top-notch restaurant.

The beach at the resort is beautiful. A little small, but nice. The pools are beautiful too. They could use more chairs at the beach and each pool (especially the smaller pools).

The Ocean Bar was a nice place to go in the evening. It is not action packed at all, but we enjoyed that. Demetrius was a great bartender and makes a great Marco Polo drink.

The staff was very attentive and always willing to make a drink or give you a bottle of water.

The resort grounds are absolutely beautiful and very unique. We would definitely recommend to this resort!

Room Tip: The Castle has amazing rooms!!!!
2 Thank Nikki W
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team and services, and I know my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs (Specially Hector). I will share your feedback with the entire team. They love knowing that our guest appreciates there service.

We look forward to see you soon at our Sanctuary!

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 March 2014

My husband and I stayed in the caste in a swim out suite. The food, spa and drinks are excellent! We also experienced the dune buggy excursion that included a visit/swim in a cave where the water was 41 feet deep. Nothing like we ever seen. The service however wasn't so great in the love bar. The waitress only seemed to cater to single men. The bartender at the Castle area bar wasn't very friendly either. However, all other staff was always smiling and very nice. The gym area was very clean and uncrowded. Although we didn't get to try the steakhouse we enjoyed the Blue Marlin and the Wok.

Room Tip: The swimout area is private and spacious.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Armani L
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having shared your impressions.

Thank you a lot for the confidence placed in us to celebrate your Birthday with us, for recommending us to property to other travelers, and for your compliments.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Returned from the Sanctuary 3 days ago.

I can not add to any of the positive comments already posted. The property is beautiful. Yes, some rehabbing is needed and when addressed the property will be a jewel amongst the Resorts in Punta Cana.

We travel to the Caribbean on an annual basis and have been doing so for years. We've experienced both poor and outstanding service. Unlike some some others we found the service to be outstanding.

The food was good and better than most All Inclusives we have visited. We primarily drink beer and wine so we had no issues with the quality or amount of liquor in a drink.

In regards to rooms this is definitely a personal preference. We did not care for the Castle. It was a bit sterile for our tastes and, excluding the exterior, not unlike a hotel you would find in any major city in the U.S.A. We stayed in an ocean front suite. Was it showing it's age, yes. However, it was very clean and only occasionally did we detect a hint of mustiness. But it had that Caribbean feel that we enjoy. It was ocean front enough for us. Open the patio door, cross 10 - 15 feet of manicured grass, hit the sand and 40 feet away was the beach.

What surprised us?

1. We booked the resort believing it to be "Adults Only". It is not. 25 - 40% of the couples we spoke with also believed it to be "Adults Only". While we generally did not notice children during the day they were loud and noticeable at dinner. Even though we never went to dinner prior to 9:00 p.m. crying babies and temper tantrums were unfortunately the norm.

2. The resort offers 3 - 4 day "golf packages". Groups were rotating in and out of the resort on a daily basis. While most groups went practically unnoticed some were drunk, loud and obnoxious. Their thought must have been let's go down to the D.R. play some golf and raise some hell. Truth be told I was some what surprised that there were no altercations caused by drunken golfers "hitting on" wives and girl friends.

Bottom line, I believe that Sanctuary ownership/management needs to identify the market they want to go after i.e. couples, families, a revolving door of golfers.

1 Thank Mike N
Dear Guest,

The comments and suggestion of our guest’s are of the utmost importance and assistance to us and I greatly appreciate the time you took to post your review after having stayed with us. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana

Concerning the information that we are a only adults resort, I have to point out that our webside inform about we are a family frendly hotel and also for the couples that decide be far from the kids, we have an only adults section: The fortress. However, I am glad to hear that your vacation have been better than you expected and it is clear to me that we have achieved our goal. Notwithstanding, your comments on improvement areas will be part of our daily work.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again at

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#87 of 111 in Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Green Don Pablo Collection

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol? Share your experiences!