“Very good stay but not excellent.”

Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol
Ranked #39 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
London
“Very good stay but not excellent.”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

For a new build hotel in the "old style" this place is really cool. The buildings make it look like a sort of archaic spanish town, very pretty if slightly "disney-like". The Spa is great, ask for Maraya - one of the best massages I've had in a long time (although obscenely expensive, I think it was c. $170). The room and bathroom were beautiful. We had one near the spa on the ground floor so we could walk out from our room to the nearby cabanas. One minor niggle was that our rooms were by a strip of stagnant water which sometimes made the room smell a little funky and attracted mosquitos so we had to be quite vigilant about opening/closing doors and what we wore when having a drink on our patio in the evening. However, I would still go for those rooms because of the access to the cabanas and the view is BEAUTIFUL. The drinks were great, sparkling wine was included in the AI and I can recommend their pina colada - SO SO delicious. The ceviche for lunch at the Seafood restaurant was also great. What I particularly liked about this hotel is that all restaurants were included in their AI which means we got a lot of variety. A few points to note dining. In room dining takes AGES to arrive. Breakfast took over an hour and half one day and we just ordered coffee and a fruit plate. The seafood restaurant can get quite windy at night so take a sweater. I really liked the japanese restaurant, the food was great. Having said this, my sister and mother didn't like it because we ordered salmon sashimi and tuna sashimi and two orders of tuna came and then we asked again for the salmon and more tuna came, which was a bit odd but I think that was the only main problem (oh and the tuna sashimi wasn't great at all - maybe just steer clear of sashimi). The steakhouse was consistently good, in particular the pork chop and the lobster (there was a supplement for this) were stand outs. However, in all the restaurants if you order a fillet of fish (whichever fish it may be) it WILL, without fail, be overcooked. Severely overcooked. Know that now and make of it what you will. This is not a reason not to go here but after a week it was a bit annoying. They are generally pretty lax about substitutions; we asked for dressing on the side (salsa a parte) about a 40 times, salad instead of potatoes, extra vegetables, less sugar in our mojitos etc and none of this was a problem.

The hotel in general was excellent. Totally beautiful and the staff were so willing to do anything they could. I would say don't go all inclusive. The food isn't great and right next to the hotel is a great restaurant/beach club called Juanillo beach which serves incredible, affordable food and drinks, there are sunloungers there too which is a real plus as it gets VERY crowded on the hotel beach and it is nowhere near as beautiful as Juanillo. We went every day of our stay for lunch and to lounge and then had dinner at the hotel. Also, at Juanillo you don't have to pay for the cabanas you just pay for drinks and food. OH and there's free WIFI there which is a real plus because you have to pay for it at the hotel (it's only free in the lobby, although sometimes our room picked up a mystery signal).

I would say GO. Don't go all inclusive (although I'm not sure if this is an option?), spend your days at Juanillo beach (I will return and stay here just for the beach next door), and maybe think twice about having the fillet of salmon.

Room Tip: ask for ground floor fort rooms so you can get the cabanas!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Guest,

The comments and suggestion of our guest’s are of the utmost importance and assistance to us and I greatly appreciate the time you took to post your review after having stayed with us. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana

Exceeding the expectations of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this it is necessary to provide good service and attitude; therefore I am proud to hear that our staff went above and beyond in their effort to fulfill all your needs.

I am glad to hear that your vacation have been better than you expected and it is clear to me that we have achieved our goal. Notwithstanding, your comments on improvement areas will be part of our daily work.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again at

Ignacio Perez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,270)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 25 March 2014

The Sanctuary is a beautiful property with absolutely gorgeous views. We stayed for a week and were thrilled with our experience. I read some of the negative reviews, yet we had the opposite experience.

The people working in the resort are extremely nice and helpful, and the people we met were awesome. Hector is the man and you will usually see him around the front desk. He went to school in the US and can help you with anything. Make sure you go all-inclusive. It will be worth it, and it is so much easier. They will ask you to sign a ticket - don't worry - you won't be charged. They just account for what is being served.

Room - Ask for an upgrade. We paid for an upgrade, but it was worth every penny. We stayed in the castle and had one of the honeymoon suites with a private outdoor pool. Our room (3047) was on the corner, so we had our own little private oasis and were thrilled to hang out there. The view was absolutely unbeatable. Hector was awesome and helped us out! There are a myriad of room types from villas on the beach to rooms in the castle. Ask questions ahead of time to figure out exactly what you want. It is helpful to call and ask questions.

Ocean Bar - We considered this the secret treasure. The view is amazing! It was not crowded at the pool during the day, and we went there every evening to have a pre-dinner drink. Esteban makes amazing drinks. Ask for a pina colada with a special rum topper. Make sure you ask him to make you "The Karen" - grey goose and soda with a splash of cranberry and a lime. It's the best!

Food - There are 4 restaurants. Everyone seems to have their own opinion, and our opinion was that the Wok and Steakhouse are the best and the Blue Marlin is good too. We were not fans of the Italian restaurant. Go to the pool or beach and order the Grouper burger on the pool menu. It is the BEST. We ordered off of that menu instead of eating the buffet at the beach. Room service is great too, and it is 24 hours a day. Breakfast is wonderful. We ate a ton at breakfast!

Nightlife - We were looking for a place to chill and were thrilled not to encounter the college spring breakers or a big time party scene. If you are looking for a singles late night crazy time, this may not be for you.

Fitness/ Spa - The workout room is fine and has good cardio equipment, but it could certainly be updated. The spa was very nice. It is pricey and you cannot combine any discounts including using discounts for the packages. I had an amazing massage and loved it! Ask for a spa credit if you ask for a room upgrade!

Tipping - The front desk will tell you that gratuity is included and I read reviews about that. We tipped American dollars and saw others do this as well. We feel this was the right move, as the people work really hard, and they appreciate it. Remember to tip the kind people who clean your room, but that is something that should be done anywhere.

A Tip - Learn a little Spanish - at least the bare minimum. It will be very helpful for you and polite to make an attempt to speak the local language. And unlike some countries - they appreciate the attempt!

We met awesome people from St. Louis, Atlanta, New York, and Chicago!!!

We like luxury five star accommodations, and we were very happy. Remember that you are in the Caribbean, and things are not always perfect!

Room Tip: Get an ocean front room and if you get a villa request the ones right on the beach
2 Thank The4Suttons
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

It is a pleasure to read, that you had a wonderful experience in our Sanctuary, we are very happy to know that you enjoyed our facilities, our culinary experience and the service provided for all our staff.

We have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, is for this motive that our team is always ready to go the extra mile; and it becomes a reward for us every time we read the wonderful reviews and mentions of our guests. I will share your feedback with the entire team.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future at this, your Sanctuary.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 March 2014

When we arrived at Sanctuary Cap Cana we were pleasantly surprised by how beautiful the property was. The first problem though occurred at check-in. There was only one couple in line ahead of us and yet we waited 20 minutes before one of the two check-in agents were free. There was just no sense of urgency. The agents were taking their time and I think they have a complicated check-in process which slows things down. You know how at most hotels you just give your credit card, sign something and they give you the keys? Not sure. For some reason it takes 10 minutes to get your keys. I was willing to forgive all this once I saw the room, it was beautiful and the view was great too, BUT again we soon learned the property was the only great thing here. Somehow we were literally the only people on the property without the all inclusive, we were definitely ripped off. I pad $296 a night plus food, while every other couple we met paid $199 a night with food included. If you still book this hotel after reading my review don't do it on Travelocity. They obv gave us an awful rate. Anyway what I didn't realize was that even if you aren't doing the all inclusive you get the same really bad, inedible & super small portion food. For lunch that day we ate at the outside restaurant Blue Marlin. Again pretty location, but we paid regular prices for food and got what looked like a sample plate. My husband ordered soup and he said it was literally five bites. It was about the amount equal to two shot glasses. I got a Caesar salad and it was the size of a small side salad, not an entree. That night we ate at the Asian option Wok. What was strange is we asked the concierge if we could make reservations there and she said it was full and the steakhouse was closed that night. Not many options left so we decided to go to Wok anyway at opening to see if there were any cancellations. Well when we got there it was almost entirely empty. Like there were 6 people in the entire restaurant, but again we were told they were full. We asked if we could wait and then the hostess actually came back and surprise they were able to see us at the Hibachi table where the other 6 people were sitting. BTW the restaurant stayed empty the entire hour we were there. So clearly they were not full. Anyway my husband ordered a sushi roll and it was the funniest thing you've ever seen. It was literally 5 very skinny pieces of sushi and the tuna wasn't even recognizable. This was maybe equal to 2 pieces of a regular sushi roll, but again remember we had to pay normal prices for this. I wasn't even given a menu. Apparently in all-inclusive hibachi they just make you food and serve you what they make. Skip to breakfast at the Italian restaurant the next morning, the only option in the hotel was this buffet or room service. Worst buffet ever. Literally inedible food. I had one piece of bread with nutella spread on it. That's it. The eggs were half liquid. I'm not even going to call them runny, I'm going to call them liquid. Nasty. Needless to say we moved to the Hard Rock the day and were thrilled to leave the hotel. Guess what though? Check-out was the worst thing yet. First of all you have to wait back in the check-in line to check-out. Then they wanted to run our credit card again to charge us for the inedible food. We were using AMEX, same card we used when we got there, but they said they wanted us to use a different credit card. Um no. They said that sometimes their AMEX machine works and sometimes it doesn't. I reminded them that our credit card was on file and that every other hotel in the world just charges you based on that hold, but they refused. We had a car waiting to pick us up outside the hotel at 11:55am. We got to check out at 11:50am. Now it was 12:15p and I told them we had to leave and just to charge our card. They refused. I told them I felt like they were holding us hostage and to get a manager. A clueless manager with a confused look on his face came up and said that we had to wait until they fixed the credit card machine. I refused saying that this was costing us extra money with the driver. Meanwhile if we were catching a flight we would have risked missing it because of this hotel's lack of care for it's guests. About 10 minutes later we convinced the manager to just take an imprint of our card (btw we offered this 15 minutes earlier but they had refused). Anyway no way I would ever return here. Definitely the worst hotel experience we've ever had and we travel a lot.

1 Thank Cindi A
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your observations about your recent vacation at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

As service-oriented company, we have a firm devotion to accomplish our guest’s satisfaction; therefore, after we have finished reading your notes, we are truly sorry due the fact that we did not accomplish with our main goal: your total satisfaction.

At Sanctuary we have a strong commitment on continuous improvement; therefore your comments are very important to us, it is the only method that we can improve our service and know better your preferences. Your notes have been send to the departments involved in order to work on it. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced and I assure you, that corrective and preventive measures have been determined with all the departments involved, in order to avoid, similar situations in the future.

Finally, I would like to ask you to give us other opportunity, will be an honor host you in the future and exceed your expectations.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We just returned from a week in DR paradise with five high school senior girls and families. We opted for the all-inclusive stay at the Sanctuary and are so glad we did. This resort offers many amenities that work well for a wide range of vacationers. It has several very nice pools, a good variety of restaurants, and fun daily activities. We stayed on the south end in the villas and beach front suites and were very pleased with our accommodations. Our group enthusiastically joined the noon time water aerobics, 5:00 pm Zumba classes, and evening music/dancing in the main lounge bar. We noticed many couples and a few families with young children. There didn't seem to be a lot of activities for very young children, though no one in our group was looking for that. There were not a lot of teenagers at the resort even though it was prime spring break season and the resort was at 100% occupancy. Those who want a quiet, adult vacation can do so here, but we also found plenty to do with our group. We loved the fact that the resort is very safe - we could allow our high school girls the freedom to "do their own thing," knowing they were just a few minutes away.
The best aspect of Sanctuary is the people - we have never felt so warmly embraced by staff. Truly, by the end of the week, we felt teary-eyed saying good-bye to these warm, hard-working, gracious employees who are so genuinely eager to make sure their guests have a great vacation. A few call-outs to some very special people: Menor - entertainment director - most enthusiastic water aerobics instructor on the planet; Eligio - funny, loved to tease our group; Junior - always a smile and checking to see if we needed anything; Carlos at the poolside bar - knew our group and our idiosyncrasies, like wanting extra ice in our glasses; and Chef Victor behind the morning omelet station - always a genuine smile and gracious "Buenos Dias" to start our day. These people work long, long days - we'd see them at 10:00 am and they were still hard at work at 11:00 pm some evenings, and they never failed to greet us with an enthusiastic smile, high five, or warm embrace. They are, in my opinion, what makes Sanctuary a very special place.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for share on Trip Advisor your recent experience in our Sanctuary.

We are very glad to learn that you had a wonderful vacations, it is a pleasure to read that you
enjoyed our facilities and service. Our main goal is to transform the holidays of our guests in memorable moments and we are very happy to read that we accomplish that goal with you.

We hope you will visit us again at this, your Sancturary.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My husband and I returned from a vacation at the Sanctuary on Saturday. We had an amazing time. I booked the trip about 6 months ago and was worried about some of the recent negative reviews that I had read. All I can say is, who wrote those reviews (must have been real unhappy and negative people)? This place was beautiful. Our room was great; the beach was amazing, the staff spectacular, and the food delicious!
We arrived and were treated to a welcome cocktail and immediately shown to our room. It was an Ocean View Junior Suite and it was perfect. The room was really large – very separate. I’m an early bird and my husband a night owl but we did fine with the separation of the bedroom area and the living room area. Also, we had a huge bathroom with separate shower, tub and toilet and a huge walk-in closet.
I loved the breakfast buffet at Casa Bella – they had American type choices as well as European. I was always satisfied with the food – many choices – and champagne to boot! The staff was great too. Staff that stand out were: Valentina, Jime and Manuel. They were all professional and friendly. Lunches were good also at Casa Bella.
Blue Marlin was a beautiful spot for lunch and dinner and food was awesome, but the service wasn’t as good as all the other places. Steakhouse was great – I don’t go to the Caribbean for steak so ordered tuna and it was spectacular (Juan Junior was a great waiter). Same thing with The Wok – ordered fish of the day and fried rice – super meal (Valentina again –super service). Don’t eat at Capriccio – not that good – but went back to the room and ordered room service. It was quick and good and had a nice selection.
Best part of the trip – hanging out by the main pool and the beach. I loved that the beach was visible from the pool – best of both worlds! I enjoyed all the activities offered by the staff. We took Spanish lessons from Ramon – who was wonderful. My husband has never spoken a word of Spanish and Ramon was very patient and kind. We also did water aerobics each day – fun also and taught by Ramon. He was awesome and I can’t say enough nice things about him. Other staff that was helpful in Activities were Blondy and Menor. At the pool bar – Margarita was awesome.
We had a wonderful stay and I would recommend to everyone!

Room Tip: You don't need to upgrade. The Ocean View Junior Suite was perfect.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am delighted to hear about your recent experience at Sanctuary, as well I would like to thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to write your impressions.

Thank you for the great review and for recommending our hotel to future travelers.

monterrey
Reviewed 23 March 2014

When we got there, I couldn't believe my eyes! This hotel is in a very beautiful, exclusive area, the moment you get off the taxi, they welcome you by saying: Welcome home /Bienvenido a casa! While we were checking in, they gave us some fruit punch frapée, and like in all hotels, they ask you if it's your first time there, we said yes and that we were on our honeymoon. The lady who attended us named Brenda, was really sweet! She upgraded us to the Castle Junior Suite Swim Out! When we got to the room, we were so happy and excited, the room and view incredible! It was just what we wanted. We stayed there for 5 nights, but I wish we were there more! The service is great, you must try the Banama Mama at any bar. Food is great, our favorite waiter was definitely Manuel, he was so friendly and attentive. We had a romantic massage package at the Spa, we really enjoyed it! We also checked out the activities we could do there, and we talked with Fermin, who was really ,helpful and nice, and we decided to go swim with dolphins. It was an incredible experience, you should definitely try it! We also had a photoshoot at the hotel. David, the photographer, is very professional and took AMAZING pictures of us. It's also a bit pricey, but definitely worth it! Overall, it was a great experience, the hotel is outstanding, it looks like a CLEAN Italian villa right there on the beach, the staff is great, room service 24hrs, the water of the beach seemed like a pool since there aren't any waves! Definitely a place for couples who want to relax, and enjoy! Thanks again for such an incredible experience for our honeymoon! We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having shared your impressions.

Thank you a lot for the confidence placed in us to celebrate your Honeymoon with us, for recommending us to property to other travelers, and for your compliments; I feel proud and grateful to hear that your experience with us left a memorable.

At Sanctuary Cap Cana we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, and it is a real pleasure for me to hear that we have achieved our goal. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence.

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My family of 4 just got back from a week long trip at Sanctuary. My two children, ages 10 & 13, said it was the best trip of their lives. The staff were so friendly to them and they loved taking part in all of the daily activities. Manor, the entertainment director was excellent and made sure we always had something to do and that the kids were having fun. We stayed in a beach front Monarch villa (1002) and had an entire empty beach to ourselves every day. It was cleaned everyday and they kept our mini bar stocked with exactly what we liked.
We also played golf at Punta Espada & did the dolphin excursion, which the concierge arranged for us. We tried all of the restaurants and thought the Steakhouse was by far the best. We also used the in-house photography service for family pictures and highly recommend using them- Jorge was our photographer and he did a great job!
We did decide to tip a few dollars for each meal and every time we got good service and had no problem doing this because all of the staff deserved it.
Overall I would definitely recommend and would love to bring my family back to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#86 of 112 in Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol? Share your experiences!