“Excellent Resort”

Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol
Ranked #36 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Family vacationed here for 8 days in March, 2014. Loved the room, pool, food (5 restaurants, each one rates 5 stars). However, none of these features, all outstanding, could possibly compare to the service; 150% outstanding, everyone there had a smile, went out of their way to make us welcome and our trip absolutely relaxing and enjoyable. Without a doubt one of the finest resorts in the world.

Room Tip: Ocean view; will love the balcony.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

It is a pleasure to read that you had a wonderful experience at our Sanctuary, we are very pleased to know that you enjoyed our facilities and the service provided for all our staff. Our main goal is the total satisfaction of our guests and we are very glad to read that we accomplish that goal during your stay.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

I hosted a business conference at Sanctuary Cap Cana this week. We had a group of 25 including spouses and a few children. Our group came in 4 days early to have some fun activities before we started our conference on Monday/Tuesday. I have to say I experienced a level of service far beyond anything I've seen before on this island. Here are two illustrations.
Late one night, 4 of us were swimming quietly in the pool. A cart pulled up and I thought it was security telling us we couldn't swim. No, it was an attendant with fresh, warm towels for us. Later that same night we were watching the amazing stars on the beach (a number of shooting stars too) after 1 AM. My nephew went up to the bar upstairs to get us drinks but they were closed. A half hour later, a group of smiling staff arrived at the beach with rum, coke and 4 glasses with ice...just amazing that someone observed him at the bar and decided to serve up on the beach.

Most of the staff are unfailingly friendly, smiling and polite. The manager, Hector and also Scarlett did a great job with our conference. Junior at the beach was outstanding.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

We are so thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana, it is our PASSION to service our guest with the finest hospitality. We want to guarantee a vacation that will be unforgettable, thank you for you kind remarks and recognition of efforts. Please tell your friends about our hotel.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

My boyfriend and I vacationed at Sanctuary Cap Cana from March 23rd to 30th! We had an AMAZING HOLIDAY!

The resort is very unique, charming & beautiful! You think you would be walking in a Spanish Village! Not too big, not to small… It is the perfect size! You can walk the resort from one end to the other in about 15 minutes! Although the resort was fully booked during our stay, it never felt crowded. I feel that this resort is geared more towards adults which made it peaceful and relaxing.

The service and the staffs are EXCELLENT!!!!! We have travelled to Mexico, Cuba, Jamaica, Samana, Panama and this was by far the best service we ever had at an all inclusive! Our favourite staff was Johanna from the Love Bar! Always smiling, very professional and super friendly! We also would like to thank Larry, Kelvin, Rebecca & Daisy for excellent service! You all made our trip very memorable.

We dined at all the restaurants (Italian, Asian, Blue Marlin, Steakhouse & Casa Bella). The Casa Bella is opened for Breakfast & Lunch and is buffet style! The others are “A la Carte” and you only need reservation for the Hibachi at the Wok Restaurant. All were excellent! Our favorite was the Steakhouse… we had dinner there 3 times! The steak was cooked perfectly. I found that the servers were all very professional and the table setting was very classy. The house wine is “Legitimo” from Spain. We are wine drinkers and really enjoyed both, the red & white wine! They don’t cheap out on the alcohol and you will find high end Rums, Scotch and other liquors! Their Mamajuana was really tasty . If you are looking for a nice view of the ocean & resort while having lunch or dinner, the Blue Marlin Restaurant is the place to go!

We booked a Junior Suite Oceanview. The room was spacious with a nice balcony, walk-in closet and large bathroom. The bed was super comfortable. The fridge was stocked everyday sometimes twice a day! You can order room service 24hrs. Each room has silk bathrobes and a safe in the room.

We spent most of our days at the Beach. We never had issues getting beach towels everyday and finding chairs on the beach. The main pool was a little busier and chairs were reserved by 8am. The sand is white and powder like. The seaweeds on the beach are cleaned off every day. The water was very nice, warm and blue turquoise! We spent a day at the castle pool where it was very quiet with a beautiful view.

I did a few workouts at the gym (located in the Castle) which was very well equipped. They also have Aqua Aerobic, Stretching Class, Zumba dancing, Volley Ball, Spanish Lesson, Scuba Diving and all kinds of tastings! They leave a Newsletter in your room everyday with the activities & drink of the day!

We did a tour at the Don Lucas Cigar Factory (about 15 min. away). Transportation was free (tips were appreciated). They pick you up & drop you off at the Resort. Would recommend this tour as they also had a Chocolate Factory tour and a big souvenir boutique! This trip was about 3 hours long!

Sanctuary Cap Cana beats all the resorts we have gone to. We definitely give it a 5*. We would highly recommend this to couples, especially if you are looking for a quiet relaxing vacation. Beautiful grounds for Weddings and lots of people celebrating their anniversary! We are so happy to have picked this resort and we would go back in a heartbeat! This is a gorgeous resort, the staffs are exceptional (Johanna… you are A+) and hard workers! You will not be disappointed!!!!

1  Thank Les-Bibittes

ear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am delighted to hear about your recent experience at Sanctuary, as well I would like to thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to write your impressions.

Exceeding the expectations of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this it is necessary to provide good service and attitude; therefore I am proud to hear that our staff went above and beyond in their effort to fulfill all your needs.

Thank you for the great review and for recommending our hotel to future travelers.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

My husband and I travelled with friends to this resort a few weeks ago and did not want to leave! We had swim up rooms in the Castle, well worth the upgrade in my opinion. We were very close to Juanillo Beach and with steps on the other side of the pool, could take a shortcut and be there in under 5 minutes! We walked the beach daily, enjoying the edge of the surf.

We often relaxed by the rooftop pool, enjoying the bar service there. The food was very good everywhere we ate, not gourmet but still quite good! We ate at nearly every restaurant, just not the Japanese one requiring reservations, as we dined where we decided last minute each night.

Service everywhere was excellent! I had two fabulous deep tissue massages which although pricey, were definitely worth it.

I left the resort daily to dive, another left to golf, and the grounds of the entire Cap Cana complex are beautiful, not just at Sanctuary.

This resort with its excellent service and facilities tops the 5 star resorts I have stayed in in the USA, Canada and Europe. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Choose the Castle or a villa if you can!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank scubalover61

Reviewed 29 March 2014

My wife and I stayed here for seven nights in late March. We booked the standard Junior Ocean View Suite and upon arrival were upgraded for free to a swim-out room in the Castle. We loved our room and the Castle.

Highlights (From our most important to least):

-Selection of Beaches. There is the hotel's beach, Juanillo Beach (Public), and the Secluded Beach. The Secluded Beach was our favorite part of the trip. We strung up a light weight hammock we bought from Amazon and it was like a Corona Commercial. A two minute walk from the main busy pool, and not a single person. There's a hotel entrance behind the villas. The hotel's beach is adequate. You can always find a couple of chairs and its close to the free drinks and food. Juanillo beach is also wonderful. Great for a walk. On the weekends it gets quite busy with locals.

-Service. Fantastic. I was amazed at how many employees were always around. They're all so friendly and work hard. You'll see the same person working breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Always with a smile and even remembering you. I think the main complaint from people (and reviews) stem from a lack of adequate training. The people however are fantastic.

-Food. We are big foodies, and as others have said, the food will not blow you away but its very good for an all-inclusive. We enjoyed all of our meals. Blue Marlin has the view and atmosphere. Do check the daily list of activities for the 'Dominican Night' buffet there. Italian restaurant is great, we liked the outdoor seating at night. We ate at the Steakhouse twice since they seemed to have the biggest selection. Both the Skirt & Rib-Eye steaks are very delicious. Room Service was also excellent and convenient. We would order a quick meal or just desert (Try the Tres Leche). Always prompt and warm.

-Property. Gorgeous. A unique, spread-out, lush property. Exploring is half the fun. The grounds are nicely maintained. Sprinkled about, there are a few main buildings w/ rooms, a Castle, villas, and restaurants . The property and its views never got stale. Check out the pool/bar from atop the Castle.

-Rooms. We were upgraded into the Castle. Which I would recommend. It does have a cold, impersonal feel that you would expect from a castle, which we rather enjoyed because it was unique. The room was had some slight wear (mostly the wood portions). We slept very well in the room. I would highly recommend staying in the castle. My wife absolutely loved our private patio with swimming pool. Very quiet and a quick walk to Juanillo. The Bathroom was mostly coral stone. I really enjoyed the shower. Always hot and relaxing.

The only downside is probably the slight wear-and-tear around the property and rooms. Which isn't uncommon in the Caribbean. Apparently they might be closing for renovations in the Fall. But don't let this persuade you.

I highly recommend this to couples. Especially ones that are looking for a quiet and relaxing trip. This is not a bustling resort, that has endless amount of things to do (Night life, loud music, show, etc). But it is serene, with good food, a beautiful property, and ultimate relaxation.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I explored it all!

Room Tip: If you want something different, try the castle. The hotel loves 'upgrades' both free and p...
7  Thank RyanRudz

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

My husband and I spent a great 6 day vacation at this property early in March and we had a fantastic times. We actually met up with another couple from another state for a gathering and we had an excellent time at the property. We stayed in the castle and were totally surprised by the views of the ocean and the local beach. Our friends arrived one day earlier and were relocated to a sister property for the night but we did not experience that and they were compensated for the inconvenience. There is not a lot of entertainment at the hotel but we did not go there to party. We went to relax and we made our own fun. There was only one night that my husband complained about and it was when the locals hosted a beach party at the public beach. We hardly ever "ran into" anyone which was nice and we never waited longer than 15 minutes to be seated for dining. Definitely opt for the all-inclusive at this resort as it certainly made everything easier.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank firenurse1

ear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

My wife and I stayed at Sanctuary for 10 (TEN) amazing nights for our Honeymoon. We read a lot of reviews prior to choosing Sanctuary and we're happy to say that Sanctuary lives up to the hype. I will the preface the below review by saying my wife and I are both 32, we were staying for our honeymoon so we had high standards and were looking for quiet and romantic time, and we're both fairly easy going people (not super picky). Read below for our assessment on each area:

Check-in:
The biggest knock against Sanctuary based on the reviews seemed to be the overbooking problem. We called ahead of time 2-3 times before our day of arrival to ensure our reservation was still good. Fortunately when we showed up our Honeymoon Suite (Room#3041) was ready for us (whew). When we checked in we were greeted with cold towels and a welcome drink. We also were given the opportunity to upgrade to a Royalty Villa overlooking the ocean with it's own private pool for a daily upgrade fee. We were curious so we were escorted via a golf cart to the Royalty Villa. It was very beautiful but in the end we decided to stay with our existing room due to the high cost of upgrade to the Royalty Villa and also because the Honeymoon Suite was also very beautiful.

The Room:
Our Honeymoon suite was beautiful with a gorgeous view over the ocean and had it's own spacious outdoor deck with plunge pool. The plunge pool was pretty cold so we didn't get to use it more often, but it was still nice to have. The room was well appointed, the only complaint is the two sinks didn't drain very well, but everything else was wonderful. My wife and I both commented what great SLEEP we got while we were there. The blackout curtains kept the room dark and the bed was super comfy and it was so QUIET in the morning. We found the Fortress area to be very conveniently located near enough to the main pool and restaurants but also near to the Oceans bar for drinks and a quiet pool. Someone dropped by daily from the hotel to keep the room fridge stocked up on beer and water and if we had the 'do not disturb' sign on the door, it was an easy walk to the Ocean bar to get some water bottles. Our outdoor patio was also really private (only 1 neighbor could see in if they stood at a certain area on their own patio).

The Food:
I will preface this portion by saying that my wife and I are somewhat "foodies" and we appreciate really good food. Someone described the food at Sanctuary best as "exceedingly mediocre" which is a fairly good way to describe it. It's "good" for all-inclusive and we never had a "bad" meal, however if you're a foodie, you won't rave over it. That being said, the menus at all the restaurants offered good variety and the presentation of meals were always very nice. We got the feeling the chefs really tried hard, but the big problem was the actual ingredients (fish, meat, etc.) were not the highest quality.
-Casa Bella was our favorite restaurant for breakfast and lunch every day. Their buffet is always fresh with a lot of options that change daily and the fresh fruit smoothies are a nice touch.
-Carpaccio, this Italian restaurant was our favorite dinner restaurant. The risotto was always delicious.
-Wok, this chinese/japanese restaurant was fairly mediocre for sushi, but surprisingly good for main entree chinese dishes. The hibachi/teppanyaki was one of the highlight meals, and we highly recommend you make a point to do it. The chef was really entertaining and talented and the food was delicious.
-The steak house, was decent, although the cuts of meat and fish were average quality. We only ate here once.
-Blue Marlin is the ocean view restaurant that sometimes does Dominican Night buffet. The paella here is excellent but everything else is pretty mediocre. Get the paella! The dominican buffet was decent with the highlight being all the different dessert options.

I will also give big compliments to the room-service team as they consistently got our room service orders correct and we never had to wait exceedingly long for our food to be delivered. (The room service staff was also very very nice and always greeted us with a smile and took the time and effort to set up all the plates properly in our room and make everything look presentable).

The Grounds:
The property at Sanctuary is Beautiful and kept really well maintained. We felt like we were walking through a tropical paradise every day. I give the property itself an A+. We checked out one of the Al Sol sister properties (Luxury Village - $3 taxi fare) nearby since the all-inclusive package applies to other properties. We quickly realized that the Sanctuary is hands-down the nicest property in the Al Sol portfolio of resorts. We had a few drinks at luxury village and quickly left.

The Pool:
There are a lot of pools located across Sanctuary (4 or 5 i think). The main pool is where the action is with the swim-up bar and daily events going on around it. The main pool is nice and overlooks the ocean, but our only complaint is the difficulty to find pool chairs. We noticed as early as 9am, people would go down and leave towels and a magazine on a chair and reserve it all day long. The staff try their best to clear up towels from chairs they think are unoccupied, but we had problems every day finding pool chairs. The other draw back is the music they play sometimes exceedingly loud and can only be described as "euro dance trash". We often wished they would turn it down a bit so we could relax. But, music choice is so subjective, it's hard to fault them on it. If you're looking for a quiet relaxing day by the pool, the main pool area may not be for you.

A few other small drawbacks are that there is no hot jacuzzi anywhere on the property. They had a whirlpool type pool near the main pool, but it was the same temperature as the other pools. They also have Dominican Day off-and-on around the main pool which basically consisted of high-pressure sales guys trying to sell their jewelry and other random things like cigars/alcohol, etc. I dont mind them there, but they seemed to be pretty high pressure, often yelling at us from across the pool to come over and take a look at their stuff. (Not what you want when you're trying to relax around a pool).

The Beach:
As residents of FL, we have some of the world's nicest beaches 10 minutes from our house so our standards are pretty high. We didn't use the beach once during our 10 days at Sanctuary. The beach itself was smaller than we thought and the beach chairs were all lined up close together so we didn't want to use the beach. There is, however, a fairly quite beach (Juanillo beach) next door to the property (behind the Castle/Fortress). We spent most of a day at Juanillo instead, where they have free Kayak and windsurfing equipment available to guests of the hotel.

The bars/drinks:
The drinks throughout Sanctuary were really a treat. The various bars all carried top-shelf liquor as part of the all-inclusive (like Grey Goose, etc.) which was a real surprise. The different cocktails were all delicious and consistently good everywhere we got them. Drinks I will give an A to Sanctuary. The only downside is the wine is only red or white and both of them are sub-par. We had to venture off-site to a local grocery store to find reasonable wine. (You have the option to buy a bottle of wine, not included in the all-inclusive, but the prices were pretty high).
We'd read some complaints about lack of night life, but Love bar was open until 1am and they turned it into a dance bar that got pretty busy after around 10 or 11pm (assumign there were people around). Bernardo, the bar man, became our good friend and he makes great drinks and is always cheerful.

Concierge:
We rented a car from concierge. We found the concierge to be adequate, but with a notable exception for Josephina who was Excellente! She was extremely friendly and approachable and always full of smiles. She knew our names by day 2 and always said hello when she saw us around the property. Our car rental experience went well with no major headaches or complaints - they delivered the car directly to the hotel and we dropped it back off at concierge.

Miscellaneous excursions/Spa
We did the full day snorkeling trip to Catalina Island booked through the hotel. We wouldn't recommend it. The first snorkeling site was really lame (absolutely no reef or anything to see). The 2nd site at Catalina Island was mediocre for the snorkeling but excellent for the beach itself. The beach was picturesque Caribbean beach, but the snorkeling was only ok. I'd recommend seeing Catalina Island, but don't do it through the snorkeling trip (especially if you want to see fish or coral).

We also treated ourselves to a massage package. The prices are a bit absurd ($189 for an 80 min massage) and the massage itself was only mediocre. However, the facilities are well appointed, however again -- not hot jacuzzi!

Staff and tipping:
We wouldn't say the staff were the HIGHLIGHT of the trip like some reviews have indicated. We generally found a lot of the staff to be really friendly and full of smiles (particularly the housekeeping crew and the room service). Like at any restaurant or resort, some staff are clearly better than others (notably Bernardo from the Love Bar or Josefina from the Concierge were A+ stars). The rest of the staff seemed ok, with the exception of 1 staff member that seemed absolutely miserable to be at her job (I forgot her name). We're glad we brought $200 in small bills (5s and 1s) for tips. We generally gave a few dollars for breakfast, $5 for lunch, and $10 for dinner as our routine tips, unless our server was below average or way above average.

Final thoughts:
Sanctuary was everything the reviews have described it to be. It's peaceful, relaxing, beautiful, and perfect for a romantic couple get-away.

Room Tip: Honeymoon Jr. Suites are on the 3rd floor of the Fortress/Castle. The row of honeymoon suites along...
9  Thank Gary A
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#85 of 112 in Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol? Share your experiences!