This was our first Caribbean vacation, and we are sold! We loved it. We went the last week in April and had perfect weather. It is a short taxi ride from the airport (about 15 min or less). The surrounding area is very well maintained. We felt safe.
Note: There is no ATM at the hotel, so make arrangements for the week at the airport or in the U.S.! Also, there was no cell/WIFI service at the airport when we landed, so we couldn't use our phones to research anything despite having an international plan.
The resort was gorgeous! 5 amazing pool areas, but the most popular was the "common area" with the swim up pool bar. We upgraded to the honeymoon suite with the private pool/patio. We loved it for star gazing, but never used it during the day. The castle also has an amazing rooftop pool and bar area, but for some reason it was always empty, so it was more fun to go to the main pool area. *The beach area was small, but gorgeous and not overcrowded.
Food was good, but similar to "wedding quality". There didn't seem to be a lot of fresh produce choices. This is not be a good place for someone on a special diet (i.e. gluten free, casein free, or vegetarian). As someone who was not dieting in any way, I felt satisfied, but no meal was memorable for it's taste. The atmosphere of each restaurant was amazing, but only 1or 2 are choices for each meal. *The menus are in both Spanish and English, and the choices are very Americanized.
The staff is extremely kind and friendly. They are very accommodating about speaking English when needed; although most people only spoke a little bit.
Most of the hotel was extremely clean, but I will say that our room was not ready when we arrived an hour after check-in. When they let us in, they forgot towels, refilling the fridge, and all the surfaces looked "clean", but as if they could still use a "deep" wash. I didn't let it bother me too much.
The atmosphere was very gorgeous, but also very peaceful and sometimes a little too quiet when looking for nightlight. Everything closes by 10:30-11, except for 1 bar. At the time we went, the whole resort was pretty quiet. I loved that we could always get the best seat in the house (in a restaurant, by the pool, or at the beach), and it felt clean and calm overall. One of the 5 days, they let in 3 vendors, which was a little stressful, but their booths were easy to avoid. Other friends have told me that these kinds of vendors or random beggars is rampant at other resorts and beaches. Also, this place is mostly couples. Not a party locale.
Overall, the all-inclusive package, the views (the beach, pools, stars, etc.), and overall landscape of the hotel made this place an amazing, wonderful stay, and excellent value, especially at the affordable price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Its inspired design combines the charm of a Spanish colonial village with the laid-back sensuality of the Caribbean and the stylish sophistication of streamlined, modern design accents. Bougainvillea-lined pathways lead guests through the resort grounds to 176 expansive, private suites housed in replicas of a tower, colonial buildings and fortress. Within the resort are 5 exceptional restaurants, 5 bars, an elegant casino, a half-mile private beach with sugar-white sand, and meeting space for up to 500 guests, while just minutes away lie all the world-class recreational appeals of Cap Cana. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Holiday Gems, Expedia, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sanctuary Cap Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Sanctuary Cap Cana Resort