“Most beautiful resort ever”

Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts
Ranked #30 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 10 May 2014

From arrival to departure, the Sanctuary was incredible. The staff was phenomenal, grounds impeccable, cleanliness everywhere you looked. This "smaller" resort was hands down better than the "golf cart" resorts. Each room is a very short walk to the ocean and every room was beach front. Restaurants were all very good, not five star, but for all inclusive, I'd give the food a 9 out of 10. Most importantly, the staff from housekeeping to waiters and concierge , were top notch. We will definitely come back again. We told the front desk upon checking out, "we have absolutely no complaints". We've already talked about returning in the fall. I'd give the overall rating five star!

Room Tip: Not a bad room
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities, and I know my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs. I will share your feedback with the entire team. They love knowing that our guest appreciates there service.

Ignacio Perez

Write a ReviewReviews (4,958)

Reviewed 10 May 2014

First time visiting Punta Cana and absolutely loved it. Sanctuary Cap Cana was a fabulous experience. The staff was friendly and courteous. We were greeted at check-in with a welcome cocktail. Check in was quick and easy, and we were escorted to our room. The junior suite we reserved was just as pictured on line. The room was clean and well maintained. Our view looking out of the room was through two sets of arched french doors which framed the well manicured landscaping and the ocean beyond beautifully. The resort is very well maintained and the architecture is lovely. There is not an ugly view from anywhere in the resort! We have traveled to several all-inclusives in Mexico and the food at Sanctuary is certainly a step above what is offered at most all-inclusive resorts. Beware of negative reviews regarding the food. Certainly there were some hit and misses but overall the food was very good for the money. The staff throughout the resort were very courteous and helpful. Stand outs at the bar were Carlos and Malvin. Niersen at breakfast every morning always recognized us and greeted us with a smile and a hello. Keila in entertainment was excellent also. The spanish lesson was fun! Housekeeping did an excellent job of keeping our room clean and the turn down service at night was a nice touch. The concierge was very helpful in procuring transportation to shopping and the sister resorts also. The staff works very hard and always seem happy to be doing their job despite earning very little money. Many tourists that come to all-inclusives tend to be demanding and not very appreciative of the hard work. We brought several one dollar bills and tipped the staff when they provided excellent service and they were very grateful. There are several pools and restaurants to try and we hit them all! It was fun discovering what we like best about each and trying new experiences. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone considering going to Punta Cana who is looking for a more upscale, quieter experience than some of the mega-resorts in the region.

3  Thank cjbky

Reviewed 10 May 2014

My husband and I wanted a nice getaway to escape from this horrid winter and relax. We typically don't like all-inclusive but were ready to go somewhere where we didn't have to worry about anything including cooking so we searched for a Caribbean escape and found this place through Jetsetter, and boy are we glad!! This place met all our expectations and we found the food was great! We loved the fact that we were secluded from all other resorts and the hotel wasn't overcrowded. It's really a perfect place if you don't like clubbing and music til late hours in the night. We were privileged by getting upgraded to the castle section - a one bedroom suite, which was absolutely perfect for privacy and it overlooked Juanillo beach, which was one of the most beautiful beaches I've seen! We loved our room - thank you Brenda for suggesting and putting us there!!! Brenda's kindness and quick service with our check-in was just the beginning to our great experience with the awesome staff Sanctuary has. I want to give a shout out to the following for making our week's stay truly feel like our home away: Melvin, Bolivar, Omar, (Casa Bella & Capriccio) Valentina (Casa Bella), Larry (Wok), Kelvyn (Steakhouse), Esteban, Paula, Brakely (Ocean Bar). All of these folks really went above & beyond and made it a special stay for us. The Sanctuary is very lucky to have them on their staff!! We fell in love with the people & place while there. We wished we were still there, so will definitely be back!!
The only complaint I have or issue I saw was beach towels were laying on chairs everywhere, because guests were lazy & inconsiderate! I think a towel card might help resolve, but I've seen this at other resorts that did have towel cards, so unfortunately you have to deal with rude vacationers anywhere you go!
If you are adventurous and looking for something exciting to do off the resort, I highly recommend the zip lining with Escape. We combined the excursion with the blue hole and both were fantastic! We had Kelvyn as our guide for zip lining and not once did it feel unsafe. He and his helper, Angel were awesome!!

Room Tip: I can only comment on Castle since this is where we stayed. Recommend!
2  Thank swattsvideo

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Myself and my girlfriend took a trip a month ago. She is Dominican from the countryside and I am New Yorker that ha traveled throughout a large portion of the Caribbean including various parts of this island. I was a little nervous about "all-inclusive" and i was right. The food at breakfast was good, lots of options. After breakfast it was a crap-shoot. The problem is you have Dominicans cooking different cuisines. They do an excellent job at their cuisine but pretty bad thereafter. It reminded me of a cruise.....and I hate cruises. The other thing that is strange is seeing the same employees working at different restaurants. Not that they screwed anything up(the staff was very generally nice and accommodating) but it posed no uniqueness. That was the negative and the only reason I would not return....including the fact that there was a casino advertised when we booked it....I'm sure I saved money so no boggy!

As for the positives, the grounds are truly beautiful and well kept. The hotel was at full occupancy and you still felt like it was a private retreat. The various architecture of the buildings was a great touch. We stayed in the Castle and it was nice. We had a standard ocean front room with a nice size terrace. The terrace would have been used to read and relax if the weather didn't cooperate, but we were very fortunate to have great weather. The last day we discovered the roof of the Castle which was absolutely peaceful. There was nobody up there and we had the bartender to ourselves...although my girlfriend doesn't drink. It was a very nice find and really took the property up a notch.

The truth is it's a very nice property and really has a sanctuary ora. The all-inclusive is something you have to be used to and not expect excellent meals and diversity unfortunately.

I'm happy I went and don't really regret it, but there are way too many places to visit and spend my money on rather than visit this property again.

Let's face it, it's also the company you have with you and the length of your stay! Just throwing my opinion out there.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Castle but i heard the villas are real nice. Go to top of Castle and don't tell...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mtmwestchester
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback about your recent stay at our hotel.

We are so thrilled to learn that you enjoyed our facilities. I would like to thank you for your recommendations, our guest’s opinion are very important for us, this the only way that we can know about your preferences and improve our service, thank you very much for your notes, I have sent your comments to the corresponding managers in order to take them under consideration and improve the procedures at the mentioned departments

We hope to have the honor to host you again in the future.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

A great hotel stay....A solid 4 star hotel. It is a unique property with an old San Juan flair. The grounds are lush and well manicured. Welcome drink upon arrival! A very close second with the St. Regis-Puerto Rico.Wow! The service was satisfactory or better. Jose and Carlos were the stand-outs at the bar. Great mojitos! For an all-inclusive I felt this resort provided an upgraded menu. Superb filet mignon and skirt steak at steakhouse. And the Blue Marlin oceanfront restaurant for lunch was wonderful. Grouper ceviche, chowder, paella, and coconut flan a must! The WOK was ok. I did enjoy their Dominican sushi roll. The breakfast brunch buffet was great! Great presentation and many choices. I would recommend staying in the Castle. Pay the upgrade!! A private and unique setting with their own rooftop pool and lounge.VIP! Great drinks and service there! The castle jr. swim out suites lead to a lagoon pool for 6 rooms or so only. Loved it! OR their large suites with their own private beach are the best. Next, ocean bungalows with pool or room 1006. I would not pay for suites with private pool in castle as they are not as nice as described. (on roof with an uninviting small pool I would not swim in). The resort has five great pools to swim in, The spa is very nice however needs better staff and marketing. Dead! Massage was satisfactory except for the constant buzzing noise from a/c as music didn't work in treatment room. Paid for 80 min. got a 60min.massage.Gym is nice ( spa, gym, and The WOK located in castle). Resort offers zumba, water aerobics, cigar rolling, and cocktail making classes. I'm told that the property is being sold to a private party and managed by Hyatt in the next few months. So there may be some changes shortly.The wood decks throughout property need replacing and some rooms need updating however I felt this hotel was a great value compared to Ritz, Regis, Hyatt, Rosewood, etc..Suggested improvements to make this a 5star hotel are: tennis courts, free bicycles, golf carts, hotel airport shuttle, more attentive pool bar/restaurant service, and upgraded linens.Oh and please replace the ping pong paddles! FYI: taxi $30/each way to airport. Taxi $3 to marina is a good deal. Beach is small with clean blue waters and white sand. Juanillo Beach located behind castle is nice too. Paddle board rentals, bar, chairs, music etc... I recommend this remote Punta Cana resort for couples looking for a safe place (a gated development) to rest/relax, golf, or utilize a fishing charter at nearby marina.

Room Tip: Pay for upgrade here! Castle swim out junior suites , large castle suites with private beach, or oce...
4  Thank kitesurfcaddy

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your experience in our Sanctuary, with our future guests.

It is an honor for us to be part of specials occasions, we are overjoyed knowing that you fully enjoyed our beautiful resort. We have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, is for this motive that our team is always ready to go the extra mile; and it becomes a reward for us every time we read the wonderful reviews and mentions of our guests. I will share your feedback with the entire team.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future at this, your Sanctuary.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I was a bit worried after reading the negative, but our stay at Sanctuary May 1-5 exceeded our expectations!! We had a Monarch Oceanfront villa Room 1005 celebrating our 10th anniversary and it seriously could not have been any more perfect for us. The staff were incredibly nice and helpful. I've never felt so sad to leave a place as I felt on our last day. We will DEFINITELY be back. It is true that guests tend to reserve their pool/beach spots early in the morning, and we didn't usually leave our room until around 9 or 10. But we always managed to get chairs together. The music at the pool was at a very nice and relaxing level, but louder during the 30 min aerobics class in the morning and the 30 min zumba class in afternoon. But it was so fun and not annoying whatsoever, thanks to the lively instructor and his contagious smile! I'm a horribly picky eater (some by choice, other by health) and we enjoyed the food. Not 5 star, but better than many other hotels and resorts we've been to. My favorite was the made to order omelet for breakfast every morning and the Wok for dinner! Housekeeping did a fantastic job, Martha at the pool kept us well hydrated and happy, the Love Bar kept us laughing, the front desk crew kept us very happy and accommodating, and every single employee we passed provided an Hola and smile, from the grounds crew to management. The property is simply breathtaking! I cannot wait for our return!

Room Tip: Villas on the south side of the property are very quiet! The beachfront villas near the resort beac...
1  Thank bcrook
Reviewed 8 May 2014

OCEAN VIEW? WHAT OCEAN VIEW? **HOTEL WAS BOOKED ON THERE WEBSITE** Hotel advertised ocean view but our view was of another building and palm trees. When I called to complain, I spoke to Hector (Manager) and was told that I was in there cheapest room and what did I expect. I told him that I expected to have what was advertised and that this felt like a bait and switch. To me it was false advertising and not fair. I purposely booked this hotel because of the ocean view that was advertised. Hector stated he didn't have any other rooms but that he would make it up to me the next day. Guess what, nothing happened and I was forgotten about. The food was average, certainly not 5 star food in my opinion. The grounds were nice and well maintained.The staff was great and very friendly. Tipping of coarse goes a long way if not you will be treated like an average Joe. WOULD I STAY AT THIS HOTEL AGAIN? I WOULD SAY NO! I say this because for the same price or less you can get more for your money. Also, keep in mind that this resort charges you if you need to use WiFI (it is not included in the all-included package). Visited from April 27- May 2.

Room Tip: Not all rooms are ocean view. You will need to pay to use WIFI at this resort. Certain items on the...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank STEVEN R

Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your observations about your recent vacation at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

As service-oriented company, we have a firm devotion to accomplish our guest’s satisfaction; therefore, after we have finished reading your notes, we are truly sorry due the fact that we did not accomplish with our main goal: your total satisfaction.

At Sanctuary we have a strong commitment on continuous improvement; therefore your comments are very important to us, it is the only method that we can improve our service and knows better your preferences. Your notes have been sending to the departments involved in order to work on it. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced and I assure you, that corrective and preventive measures have been determined with all the departments involved, in order to avoid, similar situations in the future.

Finally, I would like to ask you to give us other opportunity, will be an honor host you in the future and exceed your expectations.