“Decent, for the price”

Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts
Ranked #30 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We stayed at Sanctuary Cap Cana from March 30 - April 4th in one of their Monarch Villas. The resort itself is a very pretty property, but the villas definitely needed some updating, as well as maintenance. Our TV didn't work, the doors didn't shut properly, and our toilet didn't flush either. All of our issues (aside from the door) were addressed fairly quickly, so we were happy with that.

The food was actually pretty good! I guess I had set my expectations low, considering it is all-inclusive. We don't usually book all-inclusive properties, but this worked best for the other family that we were traveling with. The Steakhouse was the best. The fish place never disappointed, and the teppanyaki place was our least favorite.

One recommendation I would make if you go to bed early, is to take earplugs with you. Although the resort guidelines ask that guests respect the quiet after 10:00pm policy, the hotel had parties going well past 11:00pm on some nights.

The beach by the Monarch Villas isn't the best. It is rocky and there is lots of sea vegetation that washes up on the beach. There are maintenance workers out there trying to clean it up, but it's a never-ending battle. The kids didn't mind though, since they could explore the rocks and find sea creatures and fish.

The resort had lots of activities planned throughout the day, and we especially loved the fresh Coco Loco drinks!

All in all, based on the price, it was a good value. The villa had plenty of space for our family of 4, food was good, and we got what we came for - lots of R&R.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank stellak73
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback about your recent stay at our hotel.

We are so thrilled to learn that you enjoyed our facilities. I would like to thank you for your recommendations, our guest’s opinion are very important for us, this the only way that we can know about your preferences and improve our service, thank you very much for your notes, I have sent your comments to the corresponding managers in order to take them under consideration and improve the procedures at the mentioned departments

We hope to have the honor to host you again in the future.

Ignacio Perez

Write a ReviewReviews (4,958)

Reviewed 15 May 2014

My wife and I made our first visit to the Dominican Republic, we have been to all inclusive in most of Mexico and wanted to try a different setting. Entrance in to the country was through the Punta Cana airport and uneventful. If you are using a taxi service look for the pink shirts outside the airport and beware there are individuals inside the airport that offer discount trips if you visit their resorts(time share).
The trip to the Sanctuary Cap Cana resort took approximately 15 minutes and cost $30 US by taxi.The service was professional, car was clean and maintained.
Upon arrival at the resort 3 hours prior to the check in time, the bell boys immediately welcomed us and place our luggage in a safe place while we were welcomed with a drink and checked in at the lobby. The reception personnel speak fluent English and answer any questions you have, they also explain the facilities and package they give you for resort discounts.
The bell boy transport you and your luggage to your room with a golf cart and are very welcoming if you require anything. When we entered our room we found the king bed we had booked was 2 twins. We discussed this with the bell boy and soon received a call that our new room would be available once it had been inspected. We booked what they call a junior ocean view suite. The main floor does not have the best view of the ocean but you can see it through the palm trees. The second floor of the junior suite building has much better views of the ocean and resort area. The room was clean, spacious and everything worked. The paint or finish of some of the resort buildings do have paint fade or peeling, there are minor cracks and repairs in places. However i would like to remind people the humidity, heat, weather, and visiting people have a huge affect on the finishes, We were very happy with our first room's cleanliness and even happier with the second due to the proper bed size and view. Other rooms in the facility such as in the Castle are very nice and the cabins are incredible with the added features like ocean side or private pools.
The resort is very large and spacious and yet there is no over crowding with people. Sanctuary is well developed to give people there away time. We wanted a place to unwind, relax and slow down; Sanctuary offered that and it was delivered. At about 7 am towels are placed on the pool loungers in neat rolls. If you want you can go down early and reserve the loungers by unrolling the towels or placing other articles on them. As in most resorts the loungers aren't used through the day by the people reserving them but we also noted that the other 4 pools had few if any people at them.
The food is well above average. The resort has 5 restaurants and the beach BBQ and there are no reservations needed other than at the WOK if you have the chef show with your meal. Every restaurant has a menu with many different items and we found most things were very good, some were exceptional and we wish it was available at local restaurants. The alcohol is not premium but this is the same at most all inclusive resorts and keeps people from becoming drunken idiots. If you want the better alcohol you can ask and the servers which are ALL EXCEPTIONAL will help you out.
Gardens are a must see. They are beautiful, well kept and other resorts use them for pictures for weddings. The main beach is small but there are neighboring beaches to both sides that are spectacular and nearly completely empty.
Service is amazing. Every aspect of the resort is well managed. Rooms are clean, maintained and we were very pleased. Food is above average to exceptional. Grounds are incredible. Location is fantastic. Spa was poor, not a service that we would promote and needs to be improved. Not in a location for spring breakers. Does welcome kids.

Dear Guest,

The comments and suggestion of our guest’s are of the utmost importance and assistance to us and I greatly appreciate the time you took to post your review after having stayed with us. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana

Exceeding the expectations of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this it is necessary to provide good service and attitude; therefore I am proud to hear that our staff went above and beyond in their effort to fulfill all your needs.

I am glad to hear that your vacation have been better than you expected and it is clear to me that we have achieved our goal. Notwithstanding, your comments on improvement areas will be part of our daily work.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again at

Reviewed 14 May 2014

My wife and I visited Dominican Republic in May 2014 and stayed at Sanctuary Cap Cana. At the airport when you go to pick up your luggage there are people in uniforms that want to help you find your luggage. This people don’t work for the airport so you will have to tip them later. Before you leave the airport your will be asked many times if you have transportation to your hotel. I paid $30.00 for 2 one way, I researched and that is average rate. The property is beautiful; the staff is very friendly and helpful. I think you can’t go wrong with all inclusive. We ate at most of the restaurants. A quick review: WOK, make reservation for the hibachi grill, great food. CAPRICCIO, great food and friendly staff. BLUE MARLIN, you can skip this one, food was very average. We ate breakfast every morning at Casa Bella. Breakfast buffet style and most of the food was good. Drinks at the bar were great, try the Mamajuana shots. There are about 5 cabanas at the beach, if you want to secure one, be there early and leave a towel and a book. There is a minibar in the room that consists of a few beers, water and sodas. Overall we had an amazing experience, the views from the properly are breathtaking. To me the only reason this property doesn’t get an excellent review is because there are some areas that need some maintenance and the food is not of the best quality.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with Ocean view at a high floor
3  Thank Hernan74

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I do not recommend Sanctuary Cap Cana because they are notorious for overbooking their rooms. This was our first stay there and upon our arrival we as well as two other couples were told our rooms would not be available until the next day. They put us up in their sister property Alsol Del Mar which was like a ghost town and the food was inedible. This essentially wasted a day and a half of our vacation. We were given a complimentary gift certificate for our next stay, but once we were back home and tried to reserve a spot for next year we were told the hotel would be closed during that period and that our gift certificate would expire by the time they reopened. They offered to let us stay at Al Sol Del Mar with the inedible food and we declined. They then offered us a $50.00 gift certificate, as if a $50.00 credit would compensate for they complimentary week stay they had already given us. The food in the restaurants is marginal at best with the exception of The Wok, and the restaurant in their main lobby, which provided the breakfasts and lunch, which were great, and the service in these areas was also great. It is a beautiful property, but it is too bad that the people running the front desk have no consideration for their customers. After this experience, I will never return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Linda M

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the experience during your visit and any inconveniences that thus may have caused, know that your feedback is very important for us. It must to be note that day after day we put a lot of effort and dedication in providing our guests the best quality service as they well deserve.

As regards the situation presented by the overbooking during the stay that you had reserved, it should be note that the overbooking is not a common policy in our hotel, I would like to assure you that the occurred is not in anyway representative of our overall service; we ask your understanding for these situations that occur in every hotel around the world, although it is not a daily thing at ours.

I personally assure you that we are committed to achieving our complete customer satisfaction; it is for this reason that we offered several options to improve your feelings. I assure you that the necessary measures have been already taken to avoid this type of situations in the future.

Once again I extend you my most sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

General Manage

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I went with my husband in January. I can't do justice to the beauty of the place by describing it in a few sentences. Let's say it's the most beautiful thing you'll ever see! The island is gorgeous, resort is beautifully located with great views of the island. Our room, a complimentary upgrade to the honeymoon suite with a private plunge pool was one in a private area of the fortress. Amazing!!! The staff were courteous and very very helpful. Special arrangements we made for our diet as we only consume Halal. We had an all-inclusive package which meant we only paid tips. Joan Fernandez ensured that we had no trouble from check in to check out and we were driven to the airport by a security personnel from the resort. Eduardo, the head chef arranged for special items for our meals. Bautista and Jose were the best managers at the restaurants. The food was amazing. Beaches were nice and private. We loved everything about it! I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a memorable vacation. i can't wait to go their again!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank naziahakim

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am delighted to hear about your recent experience at Sanctuary, as well I would like to thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to write your impressions.

Thank you for the great review and for recommending our hotel to future travelers.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

From arrival to departure, the Sanctuary was incredible. The staff was phenomenal, grounds impeccable, cleanliness everywhere you looked. This "smaller" resort was hands down better than the "golf cart" resorts. Each room is a very short walk to the ocean and every room was beach front. Restaurants were all very good, not five star, but for all inclusive, I'd give the food a 9 out of 10. Most importantly, the staff from housekeeping to waiters and concierge , were top notch. We will definitely come back again. We told the front desk upon checking out, "we have absolutely no complaints". We've already talked about returning in the fall. I'd give the overall rating five star!

Room Tip: Not a bad room
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities, and I know my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs. I will share your feedback with the entire team. They love knowing that our guest appreciates there service.

We look forward to see you soon at our Sanctuary!

Reviewed 10 May 2014

First time visiting Punta Cana and absolutely loved it. Sanctuary Cap Cana was a fabulous experience. The staff was friendly and courteous. We were greeted at check-in with a welcome cocktail. Check in was quick and easy, and we were escorted to our room. The junior suite we reserved was just as pictured on line. The room was clean and well maintained. Our view looking out of the room was through two sets of arched french doors which framed the well manicured landscaping and the ocean beyond beautifully. The resort is very well maintained and the architecture is lovely. There is not an ugly view from anywhere in the resort! We have traveled to several all-inclusives in Mexico and the food at Sanctuary is certainly a step above what is offered at most all-inclusive resorts. Beware of negative reviews regarding the food. Certainly there were some hit and misses but overall the food was very good for the money. The staff throughout the resort were very courteous and helpful. Stand outs at the bar were Carlos and Malvin. Niersen at breakfast every morning always recognized us and greeted us with a smile and a hello. Keila in entertainment was excellent also. The spanish lesson was fun! Housekeeping did an excellent job of keeping our room clean and the turn down service at night was a nice touch. The concierge was very helpful in procuring transportation to shopping and the sister resorts also. The staff works very hard and always seem happy to be doing their job despite earning very little money. Many tourists that come to all-inclusives tend to be demanding and not very appreciative of the hard work. We brought several one dollar bills and tipped the staff when they provided excellent service and they were very grateful. There are several pools and restaurants to try and we hit them all! It was fun discovering what we like best about each and trying new experiences. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone considering going to Punta Cana who is looking for a more upscale, quieter experience than some of the mega-resorts in the region.

3  Thank cjbky

Dear Guest,

We look forward to see you soon at our Sanctuary!