My boyfriend and I just returned from a four night stay for his birthday that was absolutely fantastic. I do firmly believe that if you had a "terrible" vacation here then it was a combination of bad luck and a bad attitude because this property is truly beautiful. That being said, some of the less happy reviews I read do have some valid points. I'll offer up my opinion of them.
I like doing pretty thorough research of a resort before I go so I had emailed concierge ahead of time to request a specific room and to request birthday decorations. We originally booked a Honeymoon Suite with Private Pool and I had read that 3047 was a particularly beautiful version of this room type with an over-sized terrace. Concierge forwarded my email to Hector, the front desk manager and I followed up with him shortly before our stay. He assured me that if that room was not available, we would have a very nice room. Man oh man did he deliver. We got upgraded to the Imperial Suite and it was beautifully decorated with champagne, a cake, and balloons. This room is STUNNING. Many thanks and bravo to the Front Desk and Concierge team.
We're not particularly needy people when it comes to housekeeping and I was pleased with ours, especially turn down. It's a cute little touch to place the slippers by the bed and have it all decorated with little flowers. We were struck by how empty the resort felt, possibly because it was off season and an odd week to travel (we arrived on memorial day) but we didn't mind in the slightest.
I thought the food was good, though not amazing. A couple things stood out - the tres leches cake at the Steakhouse, the grouper sandwich at Blue Marlin, and everything at the Wok, which was our favorite. We had lunch once at the buffet, Casa Bella, and were not pleased with it. All the servers were incredibly friendly. Ernesto, Naurys, Manuel were all wonderful.
As for the drinks, the suspicions I read in other reviews that the liquor is watered down are real I'm quite certain. I saw how much liquor was poured into the glass each time a drink was made for me and if it was typical liquor I most certainly would've felt a buzz at the very least but I had several without feeling a thing. My boyfriend was drinking Dewers on the rocks the whole trip and he also felt nothing. We finally went and bought our own bottle of rum and then we had a grand old time for the rest of the trip (ha). Bartenders are a friendly bunch too, though the pool bar service is quite slow, despite it never really being busy over there during our stay.
My recommendation would be to contact the hotel before your trip, instead of waiting until you get there to ask for an upgrade, especially if you're celebrating something. Regardless, this property in general is truly beautiful and it's not difficult to have an incredible time. I hear it's changing management hands so I'm curious to see what's in store for this resort.
Thanks again Sanctuary Cap Cana, for the amazing memories!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Its inspired design combines the charm of a Spanish colonial village with the laid-back sensuality of the Caribbean and the stylish sophistication of streamlined, modern design accents. Bougainvillea-lined pathways lead guests through the resort grounds to 176 expansive, private suites housed in replicas of a tower, colonial buildings and fortress. Within the resort are 5 exceptional restaurants, 5 bars, an elegant casino, a half-mile private beach with sugar-white sand, and meeting space for up to 500 guests, while just minutes away lie all the world-class recreational appeals of Cap Cana. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with 5viajes2012 S.L., Booking.com, Expedia, Holiday Gems, Odigeo, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sanctuary Cap Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Sanctuary Cap Cana Resort