“NOT A FIVE STAR HOTEL”

Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol
Ranked #37 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I am really surprised this is ranked so high for DR. We stayed here for four nights after coming from the Excellence Aduts only all inclusive and the service here is half of the excellence. Let's start off with checkin. Had a horrible experience with Check-in with Alexander. Arrived around 3:30 and my room wasn't ready even though check- in is at 3pm. I didnt get into my room until 4pm. They had to charge my card over $300 for taxes and fees because I used a living social voucher. When asked, what was the amount I am being taxed off of, Alexander could not provide that information for me. Later I am told, that not everything is all inclusive. If you want premium meats or lobster, it is additional charge. The hotel should not advertise as all inclusive, if it really isn't. Also, they say they offer top shelf liquor when really they don't.

We had the ocean view junior suite. Our room was really big and spacious but the floors were dirty! They need power wash the floors or scrub them bc it was disgusting. On top of that, our room had ants. I had to call front desk to have someone clean the bathrooms bc of ants. And the the bathroom smelled like sewage the last two nights.

My main problem with the hotel was room service. Every morning I ordered room service and they would tell me it would take up to 45 minutes. ALL four mornings I ordered room service, they were late! It took over an hour for room service to arrive. On top of that, food was not consistent, it was like they had a different chef every morning. Their juices are not fresh squeezed. I think they knew they were terrible, bc one time they didn't have us sign the bill. They just said it was fine. That was probably another annoyance, we had to sign a bill everytime we ordered food or drinks even though it was all inclusive.

The restaurants were good and service was average but nothing spectacular like service as the Excelllence hotel. The blue marlin has great food and a beautiful view. The one thing we did love about the hotel is the view and the beach. If you walk to the left side of the hotel, there is a public beach. We discovered there was also another beach on the right side where there were few people. We spent two days there and enjoyed relaxing at the beach by ourselves. We still had a good time, but I wouldn't consider this a 5 star hotel. Service was definitely lacking and the rooms were dirty. We met two other couples who stayed in the castle and said their rooms weren't good either. I would not come back to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 3c00b2da
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Warm regards from Sanctuary Cap Cana.

First and foremost, I would like to begin by offering a sincerest apology on my behalf and the entire staff at the Sanctuary Cap Cana, it was never our intention to disappoint you in any way.

Thank you for taking the time to post your opinion TripAdvisor. Our ultimate goal is to always to meet and exceed our guests’ expectations, so please be assured that we take your comments very seriously. We pride ourselves on providing clean, luxurious accommodations to our guests and sincerely apologize that you experienced any inconveniences during your stay.

I am aware that every customer that visits our resort forms their own opinion and what is important that we take those comments and suggestions acknowledged them and try to improve upon with the guest that mention them and for our future guest. Your notes have been send to the departments involved in order to work on it. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced and I assure you, that corrective and preventive measures have been determined with all the departments involved, in order to avoid, similar situations in the future.

Finally, I would like to ask you to give us other opportunity, will be an honor host you in the future and exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

There is no need to prebook your transportation to the resort. You can grab a cab at the airport for $30 each way. We arrived and were greeted and taken care of very promptly and efficiently with a welcome drink. We were shown to our room which they call an ocean view room. It did have a little bit of a view but filtered through buildings, trees etc. Nice just not what I was expecting. We asked to move and they moved us with no problem to a room with a beautiful view. The downside to that was the fact that it was right over their nightclub, which played techno music until 1:00 every morning. Not really anything they could do about that, they do need to entertain the guests but when I asked if it was a quiet room, they assured me that it was very quiet. If you are looking for total privacy the swim out rooms in the castle are the way to go. It was like two totally different properties. Rather strange but it was kind of appealing for that reason. The little private beach over by the room 1000 is a beautiful beach and you aren't missing anything if you don't get to Juanillo beach. Juanillo is a big beautiful beach with windsurfing available and one restaurant. No booths for shopping. I realize not everyone is going to shop, most don't care about that but when I go on vacation I always like to pick up one little piece of local art and be done with it. The only place that you can do that is Bavaro Beach. We ended up there because we had prebooked a catamaran tour through http://catamarantourspuntacana.com/ after the tour they gave us about 10 minutes to shop before we had to get back on the bus. We should have stayed and shopped and just taken a cab back. It is $40 each way to Bavaro if you try to do this on your own. This catamaran company offers semi private tours. There was a total of 7 of us on the tour. They serve wonderful langostino on the boat. It was the best food I ate the whole time I was on vacation. When I say tour, you go to the beach right around the corner, have a drink on the beach and do a little snorkeling so not really a tour where you go down the coast or anything but it was pretty fun. We were in the D.R. for a total of 9 nights so we did end up moving yet again to another room but with a hefty price tag. If you think you may want the ocean front rooms you should book it before you leave. They wanted an extra $250 a night and had I pre booked it would have been somewhere around $150 more. I did end up talking them down to half that but it was kind of a hassle. We moved to room 1001. Beautiful. Right on the most beautiful beach you could imagine. It feels as if you are on a movie set that's how perfect it is. The fact that all of the beach in the D.R. are public can make this room kind of a bummer. It isn't cheap to stay in and while we were there, there were quite a few weddings going on. One decided to set up, literally 15 feet right in front of our room. We asked them if they could move and they moved over about 10 feet but at least I could see the water. The weddings are not a part of the hotel so they can not do anything about it. Again, it's a public beach. After the wedding left a couple of guys in convertible cars pulled up and decided to have dance party. No other way to describe that. 3 guys dancing on the beach to really loud techno music blaring out of their cars. It was rather funny at this point. A chain smoker was on was in the room right next us. Blew right in our room the whole time. So, beautiful rooms, beautiful resort, beach etc. Very nice employees. They work very hard and they deserve tips. So please tip these guys (and girls). The food could use improvement. Either over cooked or under cooked etc. I even ordered a chicken quesadilla thinking that was pretty impossible to screw up and that was made with some sort of shredded chicken, seasoning, bell peppers all blended together and american cheese. but if you stay here it pays to do the all inclusive as there is no other options for food. The only shopping around are the 3 or 4 booths they set up at the pool. Jewelry, rum and cigars one day some days they aren't there and on another day a t-shirt guy. I bought a bracelet first day and it broke. One booth wanted $25 for a little bracelet and I offered $15. It broke but it was beautiful so I purchased another one the next day at a different booth for $5. That one broke as well but at least I didn't feel as bad. I wasn't alone, other people had also lost their jewelry because it was made so cheaply. So it's pretty, you can buy it, but don't spend a lot of money because it will fall off. It is really hard to buy souvenirs here. We actually took the "shopping excursion" which is a bus that picks you up for free and takes you to a little souvenir shop. They advertise it as a mall but it's actually one little shop. They will take you the rest of the way to the airport for about $5. That will save you the $30 cab ride when you go to leave. The airport on the way out has the only shopping selection. Bottom line is this.......... If you aren't going for the food it would be a really nice place to go. Beautiful, great service etc. But I'm eater, that's one of the things I live for so this just wasn't the place for me. Would I recommend it? Yes, as long as you know what to expect. Would I go back? No, but that's just because I will never again do an all inclusive and I will make sure there are some restaurant options. I should mention that I'm not a picky eater. I have eaten street tacos in mexico and rice and beans out of a garage in costa rica and will pretty much try anything. I should also mention that my husband thought the food was okay. Nothing special but he didn't mind eating it. Sorry this is so long but I do hope that it helps some people make an informed decision. Vacations aren't cheap and a persons time is also pretty valuable. I am happy to answer any questions..............

Room Tip: Ocean front suites are the only way to go if you can afford it. The rooms in the 3000s are right in...
Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BrisaBlue

Dear Guest,

The comments and suggestion of our guest’s are of the utmost importance and assistance to us and I greatly appreciate the time you took to post your review after having stayed with us. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana

Exceeding the expectations of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this it is necessary to provide good service and attitude; therefore I am proud to hear that our staff went above and beyond in their effort to fulfill all your needs.

I am glad to hear that your vacation have been good and it is clear to me that we haven't achieved our goal; your comments on improvement areas will be part of our daily work.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

My girl friend and I had a good time at the resort very relaxing and good people that work there. the grounds are very nice and all the sun you could want . The restaurant's were great to eat at and never went hungry .the trip was great had lots of fun and lots of quiet time at night .

Room Tip: Try to get as close to the beach as possible the larger bungalow's looked very nice.
2  Thank Tony A

Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your observations about your recent vacation at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

As service-oriented company, we have a firm devotion to accomplish our guest’s satisfaction; therefore, after we have finished reading your notes, we are truly sorry due the fact that we did not accomplish with our main goal: your total satisfaction.

At Sanctuary we have a strong commitment on continuous improvement; therefore your comments are very important to us, it is the only method that we can improve our service and know better your preferences. Your notes have been send to the departments involved in order to work on it. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced and I assure you, that corrective and preventive measures have been determined with all the departments involved, in order to avoid, similar situations in the future.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

My husband and I recently came back from this resort and had a fabulous time. It was a clean, friendly, and fun place with great people. The staff was not only attentive, but engaging. We had unbelieveably great service from the bell hop to the events coordinator. Menor and Ramon were two of our favorites. They tried to keep the day filled with little events that allowed you to be involved, but still relaxed. The facility and amentites were clean and beautiful. We highly reccommend this resort. We only hope that you have pleasure of the same great staff we did.

Room Tip: Loved the ocean view. It is right above the love bar, so if you are an early turn in, it may be lou...
1  Thank anna s
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities, and I know my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs. I will share your feedback with the entire team. They love knowing that our guest appreciates there service.

We look forward to see you soon at our Sanctuary!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

My boyfriend and I just returned from a four night stay for his birthday that was absolutely fantastic. I do firmly believe that if you had a "terrible" vacation here then it was a combination of bad luck and a bad attitude because this property is truly beautiful. That being said, some of the less happy reviews I read do have some valid points. I'll offer up my opinion of them.

I like doing pretty thorough research of a resort before I go so I had emailed concierge ahead of time to request a specific room and to request birthday decorations. We originally booked a Honeymoon Suite with Private Pool and I had read that 3047 was a particularly beautiful version of this room type with an over-sized terrace. Concierge forwarded my email to Hector, the front desk manager and I followed up with him shortly before our stay. He assured me that if that room was not available, we would have a very nice room. Man oh man did he deliver. We got upgraded to the Imperial Suite and it was beautifully decorated with champagne, a cake, and balloons. This room is STUNNING. Many thanks and bravo to the Front Desk and Concierge team.

We're not particularly needy people when it comes to housekeeping and I was pleased with ours, especially turn down. It's a cute little touch to place the slippers by the bed and have it all decorated with little flowers. We were struck by how empty the resort felt, possibly because it was off season and an odd week to travel (we arrived on memorial day) but we didn't mind in the slightest.

I thought the food was good, though not amazing. A couple things stood out - the tres leches cake at the Steakhouse, the grouper sandwich at Blue Marlin, and everything at the Wok, which was our favorite. We had lunch once at the buffet, Casa Bella, and were not pleased with it. All the servers were incredibly friendly. Ernesto, Naurys, Manuel were all wonderful.

As for the drinks, the suspicions I read in other reviews that the liquor is watered down are real I'm quite certain. I saw how much liquor was poured into the glass each time a drink was made for me and if it was typical liquor I most certainly would've felt a buzz at the very least but I had several without feeling a thing. My boyfriend was drinking Dewers on the rocks the whole trip and he also felt nothing. We finally went and bought our own bottle of rum and then we had a grand old time for the rest of the trip (ha). Bartenders are a friendly bunch too, though the pool bar service is quite slow, despite it never really being busy over there during our stay.

My recommendation would be to contact the hotel before your trip, instead of waiting until you get there to ask for an upgrade, especially if you're celebrating something. Regardless, this property in general is truly beautiful and it's not difficult to have an incredible time. I hear it's changing management hands so I'm curious to see what's in store for this resort.

Thanks again Sanctuary Cap Cana, for the amazing memories!

Room Tip: If at all possible, stay in an Imperial Suite. Breathtaking.
2  Thank Sandra164

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure to read, that you had a wonderful experience in our Sanctuary, we are very happy to know that you enjoyed our facilities, our culinary experience and the service provided for all our staff. Our main goal I the total satisfaction of our guests, and we are very glad to read that we accomplish that goal during your stay.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

The hotel itself is gorgeous - straight out of Travel and Leisure, 5-star appearance. At check-in, we inquired about hotel occupancy (70%) and then upgrades as all the reviews recommended. We were only given 1 option, one of the 'villa' style places, at an additional $400/night. Clearly that is more than they cost (confirmed by other guests we met during our stay) but no issue, we were fine in the room we had (ocean view, same building as reception). We would have paid an add'l $100/night otherwise not worth it.

The staff was hit of miss, not rude but not all 100% welcoming and accommodating. The bartender at Love Bar was awesome, the Steak House staff all wonderful, the staff at the pool bar were on their own schedule and didn't listen to your order, gave you whichever mixed drink they felt like making (all tasted good but none seemed to have alcohol). At an all-inclusive, you'd think they'd give you a strong drink to manage their work load but we had to start requesting shots and mix ourselves. Housekeeping took a couple days to really get it (had to ask for towels, mini bar drinks every day) but it's a small annoyance on a vacation with a view like that - island time is totally fine.

The food was sub-par, and I had high hopes from all the reviews. We have NYC taste buds so that could be about 30% of it but the consensus amongst other guests was similar. Since occupancy was about 50% most of the trip, only 2 restaurants were open per night so choices were limited. The Wok was the best (everyone else seemed to like Capriccio, 2nd best for us) but me and another couple we met had trouble sleeping after meals there - not vacation tummy but something was up...The Blue Marlin was not good. Fish bad everywhere but the shrimp at the Wok. Steakhouse was ok, filet mignon mediocre, fish bad, sides good, bread great, service and wine great. I heard the other fattier cuts of beef were better. Breakfast was the best - enough choices for everyone but what in the world is wrong with the bacon!? Overall not the worst A-I food and worth it for the price and location.

The MAJOR DOWN SIDE was the gym - there was mold and I actually ended up with an allergic reaction to which I've had to seek medical treatment. They should not leave that open until they fix it (if they can - it's surrounded by underwater pools), a huge health hazard and caused me to miss a day of work.

Overall I'd give it a 7/10 stars - pluses for location, minuses for food and overlooking the mold as, once fixed, would be a 7/10 place.

Room Tip: Request ocean view rooms in the main building if you're not doing a Villa or Suite as the buildi...
1  Thank Carrie M
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Guest,

At Sanctuary we have a strong commitment on continuous improvement; therefore your comments are very important to us, it is the only method that we can improve our service and knows better your preferences. Your notes have been sending to the departments involved in order to work on it. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced and I assure you, that corrective and preventive measures have been determined with all the departments involved, in order to avoid, similar situations in the future.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We just returned from our trip to Sanctuary Cap Cana and we had a great time celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary! When we arrived, we were greeted with a cool towel and refreshing drink and many warm smiles which continued throughout our visit. We stayed in the Beachfront Premier Suite and were very pleased with our accommodations! There was a banner across our door wishing us a Happy Anniversary..nice touch! We also were treated to a complimentary "champagne breakfast in bed" which was very nicely done! The grounds are beautiful with the Spanish Architecture..I felt like I was in Spain! The staff was very friendly and worked very hard to make us happy! Menor was so much fun and the entertainment crew all did a great job! Eddy and the rest of the beach/bar crew were amazing making sure that whatever we needed was taken care of. The food was good and needs improvement as the quality at times was inconsistent from restaurant to restaurant but there was plenty variety and we really didn't have a "bad" meal! They do need to provide "fresher" food options as well. Thank you to our wonderful hostest Ynoca and our server Socrates who smiled every morning and made us feel right at home! :o) We had a wondeful vacation and will definitely will return to Sanctuary! Gracias a todos! Hasta luego! :o)

Room Tip: We enjoyed the Beachfront Premier Suite..nice and private yet close enough to everything with beauti...
1  Thank Carmen F

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure to read, that you had a wonderful experience in our Sanctuary, we are very happy to know that you enjoyed our facilities and the service provided for all our staff. Our main goal I the total satisfaction of our guests, and we are very glad to read that we accomplish that goal during your stay.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#85 of 112 in Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol? Share your experiences!