“Amazing!”

Ranked #41 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Chicago, Illinois
“Amazing!”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My wife and I were nervous after reading some of the negative reviews, but we had a wonderful experience. The staff was amazing! My thanks to Metz, Manuel, Valentina, Larry, Christian, and Isoncka for their tremendous service. Most of all I want to thank Hector Torres for his amazing coordination and facilitation of our vow renewal ceremony. The entire staff was so friendly and they made us feel like royalty. We had a junior suite ocean view room which was spacious and had a breathtaking view. One of the biggest complaints I read was concerning the food, but we found every restaurant and even the room service to be absolutely incredible! If you want to spend time in paradise come here... we can't wait to be back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bishopric90
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure to read, that you had a wonderful experience in our Sanctuary, we are very happy to know that you enjoyed our facilities and the service provided for all our staff. Our main goal I the total satisfaction of our guests, and we are very glad to read that we accomplish that goal during your stay.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Ignacio Perez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,222)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Reviewed 12 June 2014

First, I want to start off by saying the staff gets a A+. Every staff member af this resort was awesome. From Juan Felix to Victor, Metz, Ernesto, Isoncka, Christian all were fabulous. The facility needs some updating, but overall ok. The grounds excellent, and activities were many. If you want to spend a nice quiet vacation with great people. This is the place. We'll be back next year.

Room Tip: If you can, get the Villa on the ocean
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BigDyse34
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities, and I know my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs. I will share your feedback with the entire team. They love knowing that our guest appreciates there service.

We look forward to see you soon at our Sanctuary!

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My wife and I came here for our honeymoon, and it exceeded all expectations. It was exactly what we were looking for in a honeymoon, at a very affordable price.

Atmosphere-
AMAZING view, and very well kept grounds. The landscaping is very well done. It is also very spread out for how few rooms there are, so you feel like you are the only ones there for most of the time.

Rooms-
We stayed in one of the beach walk out rooms (the 2nd tier for the rooms), but we talked to quite a few other guests about their rooms and got a good feel of their location. Here's a break down by tier. Each tier has a bigger room than the previous.
Ocean View: these are located in 2-3 story buildings on a hill overlooking a beach, and each room has a patio facing the ocean, so you really will have a great view no matter what room you get. Still, try and get a room higher up to get the best view possible. Very close walking distance to the beach.
Beachside Walk-Out (where we stayed): These have a patio that walks out directly to the back of the beach. The room was spacious, and any bigger would be excessive in our mind. The view was absolutely perfect. One tip would be to try and get a room in the middle of the strip of rooms. The ones on the end have their view a bit blocked by the ocean villas or the pool.
Fortress: These are separated from the rest of the resort, and are in an adults only section, thus they have even more of a secluded feel. The rooms are either ocean view or pool front, however, you lose the ability to walk out directly onto the beach like the 2nd tier rooms.
Ocean Front Villas- there are many different classes of these rooms. They all walk out directly onto the beach, but each is bigger and closer to the water than the last, with the biggest being directly on the water. They have covered patios, whereas the 2nd tier did not.
Honeymoon Suite- bigger than my 2 bedroom apartment, and it has its own private pool.

One thing of note, if you aren't traveling during a peak time, they offer one free upgrade to the room one tier above your current room. We didn't take this option, since we loved our room and didn't think we'd like the fortress as much. You can upgrade even further, and get a heavily reduced rate. You will probably save money by reserving a standard room, and then upgrading to the room you wish to stay in.

Food-
There are 5 restaurants to choose from, and they each range from good to very good, depending what you order. When we went they only had 2 or 3 open at a time each night. I don't know if they open more up when they are more crowded. We never had to wait for anything, and the servers were fantastic. We were told that they purify all their water, and we ate everything and drank everything without the slightest GI issue.
Casabella: This is a buffet style restaurant, and one of the better options, since you can try a little bit of everything and you know exactly what you are getting. This is the only place open for breakfast, which was probably the best thing at the resort. Made to order omelets, fantastic french toast bar, fresh fruit, made to order smoothies, all amazing!
Blue Marlin: seafood place located on the water. Beautiful view!
Steakhouse: name says it all. The filet mignon was delicious
Wok: Asian restaurant. They have a hibachi that requires a reservation, but we were quite disappointed by it. Their sushi and regular food are better.
Cappriccio: Italian restaurant, and probably our favorite. The ravoili and tortaloni were fantastic
Bars: I'm not much of a drinker, but everything was very good to my teetottaler tastes. Love Bar had the best bartender.

Activities-
This is probably the weakest aspect. They have small things like beach volleyball, horse shoes tournaments, water aerobics, etc. during the day, but there really isn't much going on at night. They tended to have just one event at 9:30pm each night, and half the time the event was canceled without notice. Didn't bother us much, since we were on our honeymoon and had other means of entertaining ourselves in the evening, but I can see others being disappointed by the lack of clubs or activities for the children. Of note, you can rent kayaks, wind-surfing, snorkeling gear, etc. for free at a nearby public beach if you are staying here.

Service-
Everyone was super nice and really tried to make our stay special. However, if you are expecting them to kiss your feet you might be disappointed.

Overall-
Perfect for a relaxing and romantic vacation on the beach at an affordable price, but leave the kids at home.

Room Tip: Upgrade once you are there, rather than before you go, to save money.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Joe L
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am delighted to hear about your recent experience at Sanctuary, as well I would like to thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to write your impressions.

Exceeding the expectations of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this it is necessary to provide good service and attitude; therefore I am proud to hear that our staff went above and beyond in their effort to fulfill all your needs.

Thank you for the great review and for recommending our hotel to future travelers.

We look forward to your next visit.

Sumner, Iowa
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We were here in February and found nothing lacking. My wife and I have been vacationing in Punta Cana for the last nine years and this place is the best overall. If you want a buffet the size of a gymnasium this is not your place. Being a picky eater I often find 90 percent of the food on display at the big resorts scary. Not here. This is a more intimate resort and everything on the buffet looked and tasted great. And it just got better at the other places to eat. Hector and all the staff made sure everything was just right. Service was excellent and attentive. The island room we upgraded to was beyond belief. Our suite was spotless. We look forward to our next visit to this resort. The only thing I would change is upgrading the Wi Fi. but this is a problem at all the resorts we have been to. Thanks for another great trip to the Dominican.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dan C
Dear Guest,

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I am really surprised this is ranked so high for DR. We stayed here for four nights after coming from the Excellence Aduts only all inclusive and the service here is half of the excellence. Let's start off with checkin. Had a horrible experience with Check-in with Alexander. Arrived around 3:30 and my room wasn't ready even though check- in is at 3pm. I didnt get into my room until 4pm. They had to charge my card over $300 for taxes and fees because I used a living social voucher. When asked, what was the amount I am being taxed off of, Alexander could not provide that information for me. Later I am told, that not everything is all inclusive. If you want premium meats or lobster, it is additional charge. The hotel should not advertise as all inclusive, if it really isn't. Also, they say they offer top shelf liquor when really they don't.

We had the ocean view junior suite. Our room was really big and spacious but the floors were dirty! They need power wash the floors or scrub them bc it was disgusting. On top of that, our room had ants. I had to call front desk to have someone clean the bathrooms bc of ants. And the the bathroom smelled like sewage the last two nights.

My main problem with the hotel was room service. Every morning I ordered room service and they would tell me it would take up to 45 minutes. ALL four mornings I ordered room service, they were late! It took over an hour for room service to arrive. On top of that, food was not consistent, it was like they had a different chef every morning. Their juices are not fresh squeezed. I think they knew they were terrible, bc one time they didn't have us sign the bill. They just said it was fine. That was probably another annoyance, we had to sign a bill everytime we ordered food or drinks even though it was all inclusive.

The restaurants were good and service was average but nothing spectacular like service as the Excelllence hotel. The blue marlin has great food and a beautiful view. The one thing we did love about the hotel is the view and the beach. If you walk to the left side of the hotel, there is a public beach. We discovered there was also another beach on the right side where there were few people. We spent two days there and enjoyed relaxing at the beach by ourselves. We still had a good time, but I wouldn't consider this a 5 star hotel. Service was definitely lacking and the rooms were dirty. We met two other couples who stayed in the castle and said their rooms weren't good either. I would not come back to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 3c00b2da
Dear Guest,

Warm regards from Sanctuary Cap Cana.

First and foremost, I would like to begin by offering a sincerest apology on my behalf and the entire staff at the Sanctuary Cap Cana, it was never our intention to disappoint you in any way.

Thank you for taking the time to post your opinion TripAdvisor. Our ultimate goal is to always to meet and exceed our guests’ expectations, so please be assured that we take your comments very seriously. We pride ourselves on providing clean, luxurious accommodations to our guests and sincerely apologize that you experienced any inconveniences during your stay.

I am aware that every customer that visits our resort forms their own opinion and what is important that we take those comments and suggestions acknowledged them and try to improve upon with the guest that mention them and for our future guest. Your notes have been send to the departments involved in order to work on it. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced and I assure you, that corrective and preventive measures have been determined with all the departments involved, in order to avoid, similar situations in the future.

Finally, I would like to ask you to give us other opportunity, will be an honor host you in the future and exceed your expectations.

Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed 6 June 2014

There is no need to prebook your transportation to the resort. You can grab a cab at the airport for $30 each way. We arrived and were greeted and taken care of very promptly and efficiently with a welcome drink. We were shown to our room which they call an ocean view room. It did have a little bit of a view but filtered through buildings, trees etc. Nice just not what I was expecting. We asked to move and they moved us with no problem to a room with a beautiful view. The downside to that was the fact that it was right over their nightclub, which played techno music until 1:00 every morning. Not really anything they could do about that, they do need to entertain the guests but when I asked if it was a quiet room, they assured me that it was very quiet. If you are looking for total privacy the swim out rooms in the castle are the way to go. It was like two totally different properties. Rather strange but it was kind of appealing for that reason. The little private beach over by the room 1000 is a beautiful beach and you aren't missing anything if you don't get to Juanillo beach. Juanillo is a big beautiful beach with windsurfing available and one restaurant. No booths for shopping. I realize not everyone is going to shop, most don't care about that but when I go on vacation I always like to pick up one little piece of local art and be done with it. The only place that you can do that is Bavaro Beach. We ended up there because we had prebooked a catamaran tour through http://catamarantourspuntacana.com/ after the tour they gave us about 10 minutes to shop before we had to get back on the bus. We should have stayed and shopped and just taken a cab back. It is $40 each way to Bavaro if you try to do this on your own. This catamaran company offers semi private tours. There was a total of 7 of us on the tour. They serve wonderful langostino on the boat. It was the best food I ate the whole time I was on vacation. When I say tour, you go to the beach right around the corner, have a drink on the beach and do a little snorkeling so not really a tour where you go down the coast or anything but it was pretty fun. We were in the D.R. for a total of 9 nights so we did end up moving yet again to another room but with a hefty price tag. If you think you may want the ocean front rooms you should book it before you leave. They wanted an extra $250 a night and had I pre booked it would have been somewhere around $150 more. I did end up talking them down to half that but it was kind of a hassle. We moved to room 1001. Beautiful. Right on the most beautiful beach you could imagine. It feels as if you are on a movie set that's how perfect it is. The fact that all of the beach in the D.R. are public can make this room kind of a bummer. It isn't cheap to stay in and while we were there, there were quite a few weddings going on. One decided to set up, literally 15 feet right in front of our room. We asked them if they could move and they moved over about 10 feet but at least I could see the water. The weddings are not a part of the hotel so they can not do anything about it. Again, it's a public beach. After the wedding left a couple of guys in convertible cars pulled up and decided to have dance party. No other way to describe that. 3 guys dancing on the beach to really loud techno music blaring out of their cars. It was rather funny at this point. A chain smoker was on was in the room right next us. Blew right in our room the whole time. So, beautiful rooms, beautiful resort, beach etc. Very nice employees. They work very hard and they deserve tips. So please tip these guys (and girls). The food could use improvement. Either over cooked or under cooked etc. I even ordered a chicken quesadilla thinking that was pretty impossible to screw up and that was made with some sort of shredded chicken, seasoning, bell peppers all blended together and american cheese. but if you stay here it pays to do the all inclusive as there is no other options for food. The only shopping around are the 3 or 4 booths they set up at the pool. Jewelry, rum and cigars one day some days they aren't there and on another day a t-shirt guy. I bought a bracelet first day and it broke. One booth wanted $25 for a little bracelet and I offered $15. It broke but it was beautiful so I purchased another one the next day at a different booth for $5. That one broke as well but at least I didn't feel as bad. I wasn't alone, other people had also lost their jewelry because it was made so cheaply. So it's pretty, you can buy it, but don't spend a lot of money because it will fall off. It is really hard to buy souvenirs here. We actually took the "shopping excursion" which is a bus that picks you up for free and takes you to a little souvenir shop. They advertise it as a mall but it's actually one little shop. They will take you the rest of the way to the airport for about $5. That will save you the $30 cab ride when you go to leave. The airport on the way out has the only shopping selection. Bottom line is this.......... If you aren't going for the food it would be a really nice place to go. Beautiful, great service etc. But I'm eater, that's one of the things I live for so this just wasn't the place for me. Would I recommend it? Yes, as long as you know what to expect. Would I go back? No, but that's just because I will never again do an all inclusive and I will make sure there are some restaurant options. I should mention that I'm not a picky eater. I have eaten street tacos in mexico and rice and beans out of a garage in costa rica and will pretty much try anything. I should also mention that my husband thought the food was okay. Nothing special but he didn't mind eating it. Sorry this is so long but I do hope that it helps some people make an informed decision. Vacations aren't cheap and a persons time is also pretty valuable. I am happy to answer any questions..............

Room Tip: Ocean front suites are the only way to go if you can afford it. The rooms in the 3000s are right in...
Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BrisaBlue
Dear Guest,

The comments and suggestion of our guest’s are of the utmost importance and assistance to us and I greatly appreciate the time you took to post your review after having stayed with us. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana

I am glad to hear that your vacation have been good and it is clear to me that we haven't achieved our goal; your comments on improvement areas will be part of our daily work.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

Lakewood, Colorado
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My girl friend and I had a good time at the resort very relaxing and good people that work there. the grounds are very nice and all the sun you could want . The restaurant's were great to eat at and never went hungry .the trip was great had lots of fun and lots of quiet time at night .

Room Tip: Try to get as close to the beach as possible the larger bungalow's looked very nice.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tony A
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your observations about your recent vacation at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

As service-oriented company, we have a firm devotion to accomplish our guest’s satisfaction; therefore, after we have finished reading your notes, we are truly sorry due the fact that we did not accomplish with our main goal: your total satisfaction.

At Sanctuary we have a strong commitment on continuous improvement; therefore your comments are very important to us, it is the only method that we can improve our service and know better your preferences. Your notes have been send to the departments involved in order to work on it. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced and I assure you, that corrective and preventive measures have been determined with all the departments involved, in order to avoid, similar situations in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#87 of 111 in Punta Cana
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,237 reviews

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol? Share your experiences!