“Not the best”

Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts
Ranked #30 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Best rum punch I've ever had, but that's where the glowing ends. My new husband and I honeymooned here for a few days after holding our wedding at the magnificent Paradisus Punta Cana. Check in was fast and easy (we arrived on Monday), and we got the honeymoon suite with a pool in the room facing the ocean which was very exciting, but we should have taken them up on the upgrade they tried to give us at the desk. Our room was not up to par. Art missing from hooks on the wall, and weird aggressive abstract art on other walls. Furniture was chipped and paint touch ups were sloppy. It felt like we were staying in the heavily used show room version of a room. The shower drain was clogged and didn't drain properly, the bathtub nearly killed my husband by draining through a light fixture downstairs onto the middle of the walkway floor. For a room with a pool in it there's a lot of very smooth floor surfaces. Our mini bar was barely stocked and didn't chill drinks properly. Our room service guy would always complain about how tired he was and how hot it was outside. Although it was an all-inclusive package everyone we interacted with grumpily expected us to tip. We got massages at the spa shortly after arrival and the ladies were curt and dismissive, the spa shoes were quite painful to walk in, and the deep tissue massages we received were so vigorous in the speed of their firm strokes that we were hurting quite a bit for the remainder of our stay. The view from our room was fantastic, overlooking a rocky tide pool teeming with crabs and sea birds, but there was no way to get down there and everywhere you looked there was scattered litter I would very much have liked to pick up. We made the mistake of paying $12 for a day for wifi only to have it not work properly. All but two of the restaurants were closed on the resort but there was no indication of which ones when we set out each night to eat. We'd wander around trying each restaurant only to find them closed with no help navigating the grounds or finding a spot to eat by staff. The staff wasn't terribly friendly, with only about half returning my hello's whenever we passed by. The gardeners working on the drained moat pool were the nicest people we met. By no means was it the worst stay we've ever had, but despite our optimism it kept disappointing us. We'd already been in the D.R. for a week at this point, but the food here gave the whirlie twirlies. To sum it all up in one word, this resort felt "cold."

4  Thank Tex G
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your observations about your recent vacation at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

As service-oriented company, we have a firm devotion to accomplish our guest’s satisfaction; therefore, after we have finished reading your notes, we are truly sorry due the fact that we did not accomplish with our main goal: your total satisfaction.

At Sanctuary we have a strong commitment on continuous improvement; therefore your comments are very important to us, it is the only method that we can improve our service and knows better your preferences. Your notes have been sending to the departments involved in order to work on it. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced and I assure you, that corrective and preventive measures have been determined with all the departments involved, in order to avoid, similar situations in the future.

Finally, I would like to ask you to give us other opportunity, will be an honor host you in the future and exceed your expectations.

Ignacio Perez

Write a ReviewReviews (4,958)

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We spent April vacation here with the kids and grandparents. First the good: The staff is exceptional. They are always there to assist you with a smile on their faces. They keep the restaurants running smoothly and the drinks cold!

The bad news: When we checked in we were upgraded to the Villas. At first we were so excited as it provided more privacy and room. It went downhill when it rained hard two nights in a row. The thatched roof leaked, soaking clothes, books, etc. The water wouldn't have been so bad, however, with it came bugs, beetles, worms and even a crab that live in the thatched roof. These bugs were gross and even got into the Easter candy we had brought for an Easter egg hunt for the kids. Nothing like stepping on a dried up worm upon waking.

We brought this to the attention of the Manager, Enrique Ventura. He apologized for the inconvenience and indicated that he would afford some type of credit once we returned home and provided him the details of our trip, which we booked through Expedia. I have emailed him on several occasions and have not even received a response. I am therefore posting this review here on Trip Advisor to alert other travelers of the condition on the Villas and to let them know that if there are any problems or concerns at the resort to resolve them while you are there.

We met other families vacationing at the pool who were staying in the modern rooms and did not experience any of these problems.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the villas unless they have been remodeled!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank raquirion
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My wife and I were nervous after reading some of the negative reviews, but we had a wonderful experience. The staff was amazing! My thanks to Metz, Manuel, Valentina, Larry, Christian, and Isoncka for their tremendous service. Most of all I want to thank Hector Torres for his amazing coordination and facilitation of our vow renewal ceremony. The entire staff was so friendly and they made us feel like royalty. We had a junior suite ocean view room which was spacious and had a breathtaking view. One of the biggest complaints I read was concerning the food, but we found every restaurant and even the room service to be absolutely incredible! If you want to spend time in paradise come here... we can't wait to be back!

1  Thank Bishopric90
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure to read, that you had a wonderful experience in our Sanctuary, we are very happy to know that you enjoyed our facilities and the service provided for all our staff. Our main goal I the total satisfaction of our guests, and we are very glad to read that we accomplish that goal during your stay.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

First, I want to start off by saying the staff gets a A+. Every staff member af this resort was awesome. From Juan Felix to Victor, Metz, Ernesto, Isoncka, Christian all were fabulous. The facility needs some updating, but overall ok. The grounds excellent, and activities were many. If you want to spend a nice quiet vacation with great people. This is the place. We'll be back next year.

Room Tip: If you can, get the Villa on the ocean
2  Thank BigDyse34
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities, and I know my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs. I will share your feedback with the entire team. They love knowing that our guest appreciates there service.

We look forward to see you soon at our Sanctuary!

Reviewed 11 June 2014

My wife and I came here for our honeymoon, and it exceeded all expectations. It was exactly what we were looking for in a honeymoon, at a very affordable price.

Atmosphere-
AMAZING view, and very well kept grounds. The landscaping is very well done. It is also very spread out for how few rooms there are, so you feel like you are the only ones there for most of the time.

Rooms-
We stayed in one of the beach walk out rooms (the 2nd tier for the rooms), but we talked to quite a few other guests about their rooms and got a good feel of their location. Here's a break down by tier. Each tier has a bigger room than the previous.
Ocean View: these are located in 2-3 story buildings on a hill overlooking a beach, and each room has a patio facing the ocean, so you really will have a great view no matter what room you get. Still, try and get a room higher up to get the best view possible. Very close walking distance to the beach.
Beachside Walk-Out (where we stayed): These have a patio that walks out directly to the back of the beach. The room was spacious, and any bigger would be excessive in our mind. The view was absolutely perfect. One tip would be to try and get a room in the middle of the strip of rooms. The ones on the end have their view a bit blocked by the ocean villas or the pool.
Fortress: These are separated from the rest of the resort, and are in an adults only section, thus they have even more of a secluded feel. The rooms are either ocean view or pool front, however, you lose the ability to walk out directly onto the beach like the 2nd tier rooms.
Ocean Front Villas- there are many different classes of these rooms. They all walk out directly onto the beach, but each is bigger and closer to the water than the last, with the biggest being directly on the water. They have covered patios, whereas the 2nd tier did not.
Honeymoon Suite- bigger than my 2 bedroom apartment, and it has its own private pool.

One thing of note, if you aren't traveling during a peak time, they offer one free upgrade to the room one tier above your current room. We didn't take this option, since we loved our room and didn't think we'd like the fortress as much. You can upgrade even further, and get a heavily reduced rate. You will probably save money by reserving a standard room, and then upgrading to the room you wish to stay in.

Food-
There are 5 restaurants to choose from, and they each range from good to very good, depending what you order. When we went they only had 2 or 3 open at a time each night. I don't know if they open more up when they are more crowded. We never had to wait for anything, and the servers were fantastic. We were told that they purify all their water, and we ate everything and drank everything without the slightest GI issue.
Casabella: This is a buffet style restaurant, and one of the better options, since you can try a little bit of everything and you know exactly what you are getting. This is the only place open for breakfast, which was probably the best thing at the resort. Made to order omelets, fantastic french toast bar, fresh fruit, made to order smoothies, all amazing!
Blue Marlin: seafood place located on the water. Beautiful view!
Steakhouse: name says it all. The filet mignon was delicious
Wok: Asian restaurant. They have a hibachi that requires a reservation, but we were quite disappointed by it. Their sushi and regular food are better.
Cappriccio: Italian restaurant, and probably our favorite. The ravoili and tortaloni were fantastic
Bars: I'm not much of a drinker, but everything was very good to my teetottaler tastes. Love Bar had the best bartender.

Activities-
This is probably the weakest aspect. They have small things like beach volleyball, horse shoes tournaments, water aerobics, etc. during the day, but there really isn't much going on at night. They tended to have just one event at 9:30pm each night, and half the time the event was canceled without notice. Didn't bother us much, since we were on our honeymoon and had other means of entertaining ourselves in the evening, but I can see others being disappointed by the lack of clubs or activities for the children. Of note, you can rent kayaks, wind-surfing, snorkeling gear, etc. for free at a nearby public beach if you are staying here.

Service-
Everyone was super nice and really tried to make our stay special. However, if you are expecting them to kiss your feet you might be disappointed.

Overall-
Perfect for a relaxing and romantic vacation on the beach at an affordable price, but leave the kids at home.

Room Tip: Upgrade once you are there, rather than before you go, to save money.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Joe L

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am delighted to hear about your recent experience at Sanctuary, as well I would like to thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to write your impressions.

Exceeding the expectations of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this it is necessary to provide good service and attitude; therefore I am proud to hear that our staff went above and beyond in their effort to fulfill all your needs.

Thank you for the great review and for recommending our hotel to future travelers.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We were here in February and found nothing lacking. My wife and I have been vacationing in Punta Cana for the last nine years and this place is the best overall. If you want a buffet the size of a gymnasium this is not your place. Being a picky eater I often find 90 percent of the food on display at the big resorts scary. Not here. This is a more intimate resort and everything on the buffet looked and tasted great. And it just got better at the other places to eat. Hector and all the staff made sure everything was just right. Service was excellent and attentive. The island room we upgraded to was beyond belief. Our suite was spotless. We look forward to our next visit to this resort. The only thing I would change is upgrading the Wi Fi. but this is a problem at all the resorts we have been to. Thanks for another great trip to the Dominican.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dan C

Dear Guest,

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I am really surprised this is ranked so high for DR. We stayed here for four nights after coming from the Excellence Aduts only all inclusive and the service here is half of the excellence. Let's start off with checkin. Had a horrible experience with Check-in with Alexander. Arrived around 3:30 and my room wasn't ready even though check- in is at 3pm. I didnt get into my room until 4pm. They had to charge my card over $300 for taxes and fees because I used a living social voucher. When asked, what was the amount I am being taxed off of, Alexander could not provide that information for me. Later I am told, that not everything is all inclusive. If you want premium meats or lobster, it is additional charge. The hotel should not advertise as all inclusive, if it really isn't. Also, they say they offer top shelf liquor when really they don't.

We had the ocean view junior suite. Our room was really big and spacious but the floors were dirty! They need power wash the floors or scrub them bc it was disgusting. On top of that, our room had ants. I had to call front desk to have someone clean the bathrooms bc of ants. And the the bathroom smelled like sewage the last two nights.

My main problem with the hotel was room service. Every morning I ordered room service and they would tell me it would take up to 45 minutes. ALL four mornings I ordered room service, they were late! It took over an hour for room service to arrive. On top of that, food was not consistent, it was like they had a different chef every morning. Their juices are not fresh squeezed. I think they knew they were terrible, bc one time they didn't have us sign the bill. They just said it was fine. That was probably another annoyance, we had to sign a bill everytime we ordered food or drinks even though it was all inclusive.

The restaurants were good and service was average but nothing spectacular like service as the Excelllence hotel. The blue marlin has great food and a beautiful view. The one thing we did love about the hotel is the view and the beach. If you walk to the left side of the hotel, there is a public beach. We discovered there was also another beach on the right side where there were few people. We spent two days there and enjoyed relaxing at the beach by ourselves. We still had a good time, but I wouldn't consider this a 5 star hotel. Service was definitely lacking and the rooms were dirty. We met two other couples who stayed in the castle and said their rooms weren't good either. I would not come back to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 3c00b2da

Dear Guest,

Warm regards from Sanctuary Cap Cana.

First and foremost, I would like to begin by offering a sincerest apology on my behalf and the entire staff at the Sanctuary Cap Cana, it was never our intention to disappoint you in any way.

Thank you for taking the time to post your opinion TripAdvisor. Our ultimate goal is to always to meet and exceed our guests’ expectations, so please be assured that we take your comments very seriously. We pride ourselves on providing clean, luxurious accommodations to our guests and sincerely apologize that you experienced any inconveniences during your stay.

I am aware that every customer that visits our resort forms their own opinion and what is important that we take those comments and suggestions acknowledged them and try to improve upon with the guest that mention them and for our future guest. Your notes have been send to the departments involved in order to work on it. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced and I assure you, that corrective and preventive measures have been determined with all the departments involved, in order to avoid, similar situations in the future.