“Hotel was not 5-star”

Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol
Ranked #37 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I've stayed at many all-inclusive places that are 4-5 star and this shouldn't get 5 star. The room was just ok but we didn't spend too much time in it. I did enjoy relaxing by the beach and pool, and met some great people. What made it average? The food was TERRIBLE! I'm not even a self proclaimed foodie. I'm happy with a turkey sandwich for lunch and cereal for dinner, but this was not good. The breakfast was fine, but you can't really mess up breakfast. Dinner was not good at all. I'm not much of a steak snob but the filet at the steakhouse was probably the worst steak i've ever eaten. My jaw was exhausted from chewing it for so long. The Italian place was even worse. My wife got the little pizza and I got the ravioli. The pizza reminded me of the little microwavable pizzas I ate in college and the raviolis had to have been frozen pre-packaged. Luckily there were only 2 places to eat open per night and the Japanese place was open 2 nights we were there, b/c we enjoyed that. Also, they gave you a receipt after ordering everything. The receipt would say the cost of the meal, then $0 as if you were supposed to tip 20%. Even every pool side beverage came with a receipt. I don't mind tipping but it almost felt forced. I paid for all-inclusive so I didn't have to think about signing a receipt every 5 minutes. My wife and I also enjoy traveling and experiencing the local culture. I just didn't feel like there was any. We go to Puerto Rico and eat mufongo, Mexico-mexican food, Jamaica- jerk chicken, etc, but Punta Cana didn't seem to have an identity. Overall, we did have a good time, and like I said, met some really great people, so I'm not too disappointed. But I've stayed at 5-star resorts, and this wasn't even close to 5-star. 1 must, go to the restaurant on the beach after you leave the resort (past the castle area). It had awesome food you have to pay for. 1 last thing if you go in the summer, it's really really humid! We live in Florida, so we were fine, but heard lots of chatter about the humidity.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking some of your valuable time to share about your experience with us.

I am so sorry to learn that you did not enjoy our several dining options; it is very difficult to please all of our guests in this aspect especially since everyone’s perception on food is very personal. I must say that the level of satisfaction obtained concerning the quality and variety of breakfast, lunch and dinner services has always been very elevated according to the opinions reflected in our quality questionnaires. Nevertheless, your comments will be taken into consideration.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again at

Reviewed 15 June 2014

No one could ever imagine how wonderful Santuary Cap Cana is until you experience it first hand. The staff are the most friendly people I have ever met! Always smiling and willing to help and there is someone at your service, whenever needed. The grounds are beautifully kept but you never hear noisy lawn equipment, it is always peaceful and natural on sight. But the food is OUTSTANDING from the buffet, to the room service, to the wonderful restaurants at dinner. Nothing was short of delightful! My husband and I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: We had the basic Junior sweet and felt like it was very spacious and close to the pool, ocean and re...
1  Thank Candi G

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure to read, that you had a wonderful experience in our Sanctuary, we are very happy to know that you enjoyed our facilities, our culinary experience and the service provided for all our staff. Our main goal I the total satisfaction of our guests, and we are very glad to read that we accomplish that goal during your stay.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

The property and beach are breathtaking! I am very picky so I was apprehensive about trying a new hotel. Sanctuary exceeded my expectations in every way. The staff was so friendly and kind. The villa we stayed in was gorgeous! I can't say enough positive things about this resort. The only thing they could improve was the food. Other than that - exceptional!!!!

Room Tip: The Villas are gorgeous!
1  Thank Melissa D

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure to read, that you had a wonderful experience in our Sanctuary, we are very happy to know that you enjoyed our facilities and the service provided for all our staff. Our main goal I the total satisfaction of our guests, and we are very glad to read that we accomplish that goal during your stay.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Best rum punch I've ever had, but that's where the glowing ends. My new husband and I honeymooned here for a few days after holding our wedding at the magnificent Paradisus Punta Cana. Check in was fast and easy (we arrived on Monday), and we got the honeymoon suite with a pool in the room facing the ocean which was very exciting, but we should have taken them up on the upgrade they tried to give us at the desk. Our room was not up to par. Art missing from hooks on the wall, and weird aggressive abstract art on other walls. Furniture was chipped and paint touch ups were sloppy. It felt like we were staying in the heavily used show room version of a room. The shower drain was clogged and didn't drain properly, the bathtub nearly killed my husband by draining through a light fixture downstairs onto the middle of the walkway floor. For a room with a pool in it there's a lot of very smooth floor surfaces. Our mini bar was barely stocked and didn't chill drinks properly. Our room service guy would always complain about how tired he was and how hot it was outside. Although it was an all-inclusive package everyone we interacted with grumpily expected us to tip. We got massages at the spa shortly after arrival and the ladies were curt and dismissive, the spa shoes were quite painful to walk in, and the deep tissue massages we received were so vigorous in the speed of their firm strokes that we were hurting quite a bit for the remainder of our stay. The view from our room was fantastic, overlooking a rocky tide pool teeming with crabs and sea birds, but there was no way to get down there and everywhere you looked there was scattered litter I would very much have liked to pick up. We made the mistake of paying $12 for a day for wifi only to have it not work properly. All but two of the restaurants were closed on the resort but there was no indication of which ones when we set out each night to eat. We'd wander around trying each restaurant only to find them closed with no help navigating the grounds or finding a spot to eat by staff. The staff wasn't terribly friendly, with only about half returning my hello's whenever we passed by. The gardeners working on the drained moat pool were the nicest people we met. By no means was it the worst stay we've ever had, but despite our optimism it kept disappointing us. We'd already been in the D.R. for a week at this point, but the food here gave the whirlie twirlies. To sum it all up in one word, this resort felt "cold."

4  Thank Tex G

Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your observations about your recent vacation at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

As service-oriented company, we have a firm devotion to accomplish our guest’s satisfaction; therefore, after we have finished reading your notes, we are truly sorry due the fact that we did not accomplish with our main goal: your total satisfaction.

At Sanctuary we have a strong commitment on continuous improvement; therefore your comments are very important to us, it is the only method that we can improve our service and knows better your preferences. Your notes have been sending to the departments involved in order to work on it. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced and I assure you, that corrective and preventive measures have been determined with all the departments involved, in order to avoid, similar situations in the future.

Finally, I would like to ask you to give us other opportunity, will be an honor host you in the future and exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We spent April vacation here with the kids and grandparents. First the good: The staff is exceptional. They are always there to assist you with a smile on their faces. They keep the restaurants running smoothly and the drinks cold!

The bad news: When we checked in we were upgraded to the Villas. At first we were so excited as it provided more privacy and room. It went downhill when it rained hard two nights in a row. The thatched roof leaked, soaking clothes, books, etc. The water wouldn't have been so bad, however, with it came bugs, beetles, worms and even a crab that live in the thatched roof. These bugs were gross and even got into the Easter candy we had brought for an Easter egg hunt for the kids. Nothing like stepping on a dried up worm upon waking.

We brought this to the attention of the Manager, Enrique Ventura. He apologized for the inconvenience and indicated that he would afford some type of credit once we returned home and provided him the details of our trip, which we booked through Expedia. I have emailed him on several occasions and have not even received a response. I am therefore posting this review here on Trip Advisor to alert other travelers of the condition on the Villas and to let them know that if there are any problems or concerns at the resort to resolve them while you are there.

We met other families vacationing at the pool who were staying in the modern rooms and did not experience any of these problems.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the villas unless they have been remodeled!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank raquirion
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My wife and I were nervous after reading some of the negative reviews, but we had a wonderful experience. The staff was amazing! My thanks to Metz, Manuel, Valentina, Larry, Christian, and Isoncka for their tremendous service. Most of all I want to thank Hector Torres for his amazing coordination and facilitation of our vow renewal ceremony. The entire staff was so friendly and they made us feel like royalty. We had a junior suite ocean view room which was spacious and had a breathtaking view. One of the biggest complaints I read was concerning the food, but we found every restaurant and even the room service to be absolutely incredible! If you want to spend time in paradise come here... we can't wait to be back!

1  Thank Bishopric90
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Reviewed 12 June 2014

First, I want to start off by saying the staff gets a A+. Every staff member af this resort was awesome. From Juan Felix to Victor, Metz, Ernesto, Isoncka, Christian all were fabulous. The facility needs some updating, but overall ok. The grounds excellent, and activities were many. If you want to spend a nice quiet vacation with great people. This is the place. We'll be back next year.

Room Tip: If you can, get the Villa on the ocean
2  Thank BigDyse34
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities, and I know my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs. I will share your feedback with the entire team. They love knowing that our guest appreciates there service.

We look forward to see you soon at our Sanctuary!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#85 of 112 in Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol? Share your experiences!