“Can't wait to return!”

Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol
Ranked #40 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
“Can't wait to return!”
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed 5days 4 nights all inclusive adults area in a Jr suite. The room was ok. Made for a lengthy walk to the main pools and beach area but that is honestly the only bad thing I could say! The gardens and scenery are gorgeous! Great drinks and great food! The staff was amazing and we saved so much money we could afford to get beautiful couples pictures taken! Plan on coming back next year!

• Stayed May 2014
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am delighted to hear about your recent experience at Sanctuary, as well I would like to thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to write your impressions.

Exceeding the expectations of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this it is necessary to provide good service and attitude; therefore I am proud to hear that our staff went above and beyond in their effort to fulfill all your needs.

Thank you for the great review and for recommending our hotel to future travelers.

We look forward to your next visit.

Ignacio Perez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,283)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Boise ID
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I just returned from a week at Sanctuary with my wife and two teenage boys- I am an experienced traveler and have been all over the world. I know not to judge resorts by US standards when they are not in the United States. That being said here's my thoughts: The rooms and overall facility are terrific. I really enjoy the location of Cap Cana and would always pick to stay in Cap Cana over any of the areas in Punta Cana. (Cap Cana is its own private community of marina, hotels,homes and condos) The beaches felt very private and uncrowded. The food was excellent at all of the restaurants. I paid to upgrade my room and felt that was worth it. Do not accept their first upgrade price- it is negotiable. I would say this is more of a couples resort rather than a family resort. Also if you are hoping for waves at the beach this is not the right location for you.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Idahogreg
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having shared your impressions.

I feel proud and grateful to hear that your experience with us left a memorable impression on you and your family.

At Sanctuary Cap Cana we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, and it is a real pleasure for me to hear that we have achieved our goal. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence.

We look forward to your next visit.

Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My wife & I celebrated our 25 th anniversary at Sanctuary Cap Cana from 6/2/14-6/8/14. We chose this resort for a few specific reasons: Small resort size to avoid crowds(only 110 rooms or so), rooms directly on the beach(hard to find), on a good beach(not hard to find), and price. Other resorts we considered were Zoetry properties, Maroma resort in mexico(stayed here several years ago but mucho dinero), Secrets Maroma, & Al Cielo Hotel in Mexico. However, of these listed Sanctuary was significantly less expensive by about $1500.

I research ALOT before deciding on where to vacation. There had been several negative reviews lately so I went with a very critical eye. In fact, after i booked this resort i found out they are closing in August for renovations (Hyatt is buying this property maybe too??) so was quite worried that the staff would be "short timers" & maybe let the place go. So i was going with fairly low expectations.

We booked with Allinclusiveoutlet.com. They had the best price & were excellent. We were assigned our own agent who was quick to respond to questions by phone or email. This was our first time using them but would not hesitate in the future.

Flew direct from Charlotte, NC. Amstar transfers were included in our package. Walked out found the guys in the floral shirts & were at the resort in 15 min or so Very nice! We had a van transport but it was just us. Not sure if thats always the case but there arent that many resorts in the Cap Cana area so we had private transfers both ways. Was easier than a taxi. Avoid the first guys you see when exiting the airport. They are good at acting like you belong with them & they are not taxi drivers but were selling trips to Hard Rock. (We heard a couple at our resort talking about their mistake in going with these guys) Definitely buy the $10 tourist cards online. We were the only ones on our plane who did & this was a significant time savings. If you dont check luggage you are out of the airport in minutes. We were checked in our room & on the beach before 1 pm! Another reason why we chose this resort.

Our Premium Beachfront Ground floor room was ready when we arrived That almost never happens! They also asked if we wanted to upgrade & offered to show us 3 different rooms. They took us in a golf cart to see them. We liked the room we had booked. The beachfront suite was ground floor with a large patio; we stepped right out onto the sand of the resort beach which was exactly what we paid for!

When we first arrived I was primed to look for the negative due to the recent negative reviews. In fact, our first impressions were not that good (but read on - my opinions definitely changed the longer we were there). We initially noticed very worn furniture in our room & at the beach. Peeling paint, etc. Also, our first meal was lunch at Blue Marlin - which was absolutely horrendous! My "grouper" sandwich was a poor man' version of a Filet o Fish was basically breaded mush. Our first dinner at the Steakhouse that night was equally terrible. Thankfully, these were our final negative experiences & the rest of the week was fantastic.

Here are a few specifics:
1. Location- I think this place is in a 5 star location. It is truly a stunning property. The grounds were beautiful & manicured. Tropical flowers everywhere. The views of the ocean are incredible & the elevation of the resort really adds to the stunning views. If you go to the Fortress area, the views from here are some of the best I have seen anywhere. We really liked all the bars & restaurants & seating areas right on the ocean. That seems to be a fairly uncommon thing for big AI resorts. Also, this a small resort relatively speaking. One can easily walk the entire resort in just a few minutes.

2. Rooms - our beachfront room was nice, but had some very worn tables. Beds were comfortable & linens were nice as well. I would call the room fairly nice but basic. We paid for the proximity to the beach so were quite content. One unique thing about this resort is the variety of rooms & views available. Want on the beach? Got it. Want long distance views from your private pool? Got it. Want basic room with ocean view? Got it. Want a huge villa with infinity pool literally on the ocean? Got it. Want a ground floor villa in a tropical setting or on the ocean or on the beach? Check Check & Check. I think anyone could find their flavor of room here.

3. Rooms #2 - Even though we liked our first room, we had been coveting the oceanfront villas. After some haggling with reception, we moved to an oceanfront Royalty villa with an oceanfront infinity pool. This was truly luxury & we had no need to leave the room. It had a huge bathroom, outdoor shower, large covered patio, views to die for & of course the pool. We stayed in the pool & stared at the ocean. it was unbelievably relaxing.. It was beside a bar as well, so I could walk to our "neighbor", get a couple of drinks & be back in the pool. Also, the main pools & beach & restaurants were all right outside the door. If you can get a Royalty Villa, we highly recommend it!

4. Beach - We are beach people & seldom go in the pools ( unless the pool is in our room!). This was a big factor in choosing this resort. The main resort beach is small but plenty big for his resort. Plenty of chairs & we were able to snag a beach bed fairly easily. Did not notice the towel game at all. The ocean is a pretty emerald green color, with patches of turtle grass to add color to the view. Water was very calm & swimmable. Two minor complaints are that there is a fair amount of floating sea grass - not the slimy kind however so it didnt bother us or keep people out of the water. There were people constantly cleaning this stuff off the beach. Second - the water clarity was not great. Now I'm being very picky here & we are unapologetic beach snobs. Have stayed on Grace Bay, 7 mile beach, Abacos, Mexico (Maroma, Isla Mujeres, & Puerto Aventuras) & we really REALLY like crystal clear water. The water in this area was not like these areas listed above. It was pretty but somewhat cloudy - in waist deep water you could kind of see your feet. Realize, the beach snobbery in this comment however & it didnt keep people from swimming.

5. Beach #2 - Another nice feature is that there are 2 other beaches to visit. We spent 1 day at Juanillo Beach (just to the north beside the resort) We called the front desk & they brought us there by golf cart. However, we walked back & it is a very short walk. Juanillo beach is a perfect arc of soft sand with palm trees & most of it is undeveloped, deserted, & georgeous. Right beside the resort there is a restaurant/bar. There are several covered palapas on the beach with tables, chairs & loungers. The restaurant had great service on the beach & we stayed here an entire day. The food & drinks were good. Get the Boca Chica fish - an entire whole fried snapper - expensive but worth it. Down the beach a little further is a water sports area with kayaks, paddle boards, & even kite surfing. We heard a few people say that resort guests could use kayaks for free but not sure about this. You need to walk this beach before its developed. Its truly stunning. The water is calm but about the same clarity as the resort, maybe slightly clearer. In some parts of Juanillo you can walk out 200 yds or so in waist deep water.

6. Service - We thought all service was friendly & prompt. Bartenders were very friendly & the resort beach had good drink service as well. It did help to know some espanol with some of the bar staff, housekeeping, & room service but we have found this to be common. Our room mini fridge was stocked with exactly what we requested. We did take & give out lots of $1 & $5 tips but they did not seem to expect this. The most pleasant surprise was room service - we used this extensively & every time the food got their quickly (less than 30 min), was hot, & for the most part better than restaurant food. Breakfast from room service was great as well as burgers & grilled fish & desserts.

7. Food- This was the most disappointing thing & I would say the food really doesn't match up with the beautiful location of this resort. For example, twice I ordered their conch/seafood chowder. It was a vegetable cream soup from a can & neither time was I able to actually locate seafood in the chowder. We did have good meals at WOK & their Dominican night buffet was good as well. Lunch buffet was truly bad. We are not foodies at all. Give us a good burger & some seafood & we can be content. Room service & breakfast made it OK for us but I think most people would not be happy with the food situation. This resort really needs to change this to make the food line up with the overall quality of the place. There are 2 sister resorts close by (Alsol Del Mar & Alsol Luxury Village) that you can go to as well. Its a $3 taxi ride & they said food is included ther as well. Did not try this however.

8. Activities - this is a place to chill & relax. No shows, no real entertainment. Thats exactly why we liked it. It was quiet & peaceful. There are nice areas at the bars, & we saw advertisements for karaoke, bingo, ping pong & volleyball. Watersports are at Juanillo beach.

9. Pools - Several pools on site & they are beautiful large & uncrowded. There are a couple of pools where you could have privacy & nearly the whole pool to yourself.

Overall, we had a great time here. Its a beautiful location A 5 star location with 2-3 star food. We came back feeling perfectly relaxed & would not hesitate to stay here. Many honeymooners here ( we felt old!) & I can see why. I think this resort was reasonably & fairly priced as well. Go & have a great time!

Room Tip: our beachfront room was nice, but had some very worn tables. Beds were comfortable & linens wer...
5 Thank IntenseTravMan
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking some of your valuable time to share about your experience with us.

I am so sorry to learn that you did not enjoy our several dining options; it is very difficult to please all of our guests in this aspect especially since everyone’s perception on food is very personal. I must say that the level of satisfaction obtained concerning the quality and variety of breakfast, lunch and dinner services has always been very elevated according to the opinions reflected in our quality questionnaires. Nevertheless, your comments will be taken into consideration.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again at

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I've stayed at many all-inclusive places that are 4-5 star and this shouldn't get 5 star. The room was just ok but we didn't spend too much time in it. I did enjoy relaxing by the beach and pool, and met some great people. What made it average? The food was TERRIBLE! I'm not even a self proclaimed foodie. I'm happy with a turkey sandwich for lunch and cereal for dinner, but this was not good. The breakfast was fine, but you can't really mess up breakfast. Dinner was not good at all. I'm not much of a steak snob but the filet at the steakhouse was probably the worst steak i've ever eaten. My jaw was exhausted from chewing it for so long. The Italian place was even worse. My wife got the little pizza and I got the ravioli. The pizza reminded me of the little microwavable pizzas I ate in college and the raviolis had to have been frozen pre-packaged. Luckily there were only 2 places to eat open per night and the Japanese place was open 2 nights we were there, b/c we enjoyed that. Also, they gave you a receipt after ordering everything. The receipt would say the cost of the meal, then $0 as if you were supposed to tip 20%. Even every pool side beverage came with a receipt. I don't mind tipping but it almost felt forced. I paid for all-inclusive so I didn't have to think about signing a receipt every 5 minutes. My wife and I also enjoy traveling and experiencing the local culture. I just didn't feel like there was any. We go to Puerto Rico and eat mufongo, Mexico-mexican food, Jamaica- jerk chicken, etc, but Punta Cana didn't seem to have an identity. Overall, we did have a good time, and like I said, met some really great people, so I'm not too disappointed. But I've stayed at 5-star resorts, and this wasn't even close to 5-star. 1 must, go to the restaurant on the beach after you leave the resort (past the castle area). It had awesome food you have to pay for. 1 last thing if you go in the summer, it's really really humid! We live in Florida, so we were fine, but heard lots of chatter about the humidity.

Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 June 2014

No one could ever imagine how wonderful Santuary Cap Cana is until you experience it first hand. The staff are the most friendly people I have ever met! Always smiling and willing to help and there is someone at your service, whenever needed. The grounds are beautifully kept but you never hear noisy lawn equipment, it is always peaceful and natural on sight. But the food is OUTSTANDING from the buffet, to the room service, to the wonderful restaurants at dinner. Nothing was short of delightful! My husband and I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: We had the basic Junior sweet and felt like it was very spacious and close to the pool, ocean and re...
1 Thank Candi G
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure to read, that you had a wonderful experience in our Sanctuary, we are very happy to know that you enjoyed our facilities, our culinary experience and the service provided for all our staff. Our main goal I the total satisfaction of our guests, and we are very glad to read that we accomplish that goal during your stay.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Norcross, Georgia
Reviewed 14 June 2014

The property and beach are breathtaking! I am very picky so I was apprehensive about trying a new hotel. Sanctuary exceeded my expectations in every way. The staff was so friendly and kind. The villa we stayed in was gorgeous! I can't say enough positive things about this resort. The only thing they could improve was the food. Other than that - exceptional!!!!

Room Tip: The Villas are gorgeous!
1 Thank Melissa D
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure to read, that you had a wonderful experience in our Sanctuary, we are very happy to know that you enjoyed our facilities and the service provided for all our staff. Our main goal I the total satisfaction of our guests, and we are very glad to read that we accomplish that goal during your stay.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Best rum punch I've ever had, but that's where the glowing ends. My new husband and I honeymooned here for a few days after holding our wedding at the magnificent Paradisus Punta Cana. Check in was fast and easy (we arrived on Monday), and we got the honeymoon suite with a pool in the room facing the ocean which was very exciting, but we should have taken them up on the upgrade they tried to give us at the desk. Our room was not up to par. Art missing from hooks on the wall, and weird aggressive abstract art on other walls. Furniture was chipped and paint touch ups were sloppy. It felt like we were staying in the heavily used show room version of a room. The shower drain was clogged and didn't drain properly, the bathtub nearly killed my husband by draining through a light fixture downstairs onto the middle of the walkway floor. For a room with a pool in it there's a lot of very smooth floor surfaces. Our mini bar was barely stocked and didn't chill drinks properly. Our room service guy would always complain about how tired he was and how hot it was outside. Although it was an all-inclusive package everyone we interacted with grumpily expected us to tip. We got massages at the spa shortly after arrival and the ladies were curt and dismissive, the spa shoes were quite painful to walk in, and the deep tissue massages we received were so vigorous in the speed of their firm strokes that we were hurting quite a bit for the remainder of our stay. The view from our room was fantastic, overlooking a rocky tide pool teeming with crabs and sea birds, but there was no way to get down there and everywhere you looked there was scattered litter I would very much have liked to pick up. We made the mistake of paying $12 for a day for wifi only to have it not work properly. All but two of the restaurants were closed on the resort but there was no indication of which ones when we set out each night to eat. We'd wander around trying each restaurant only to find them closed with no help navigating the grounds or finding a spot to eat by staff. The staff wasn't terribly friendly, with only about half returning my hello's whenever we passed by. The gardeners working on the drained moat pool were the nicest people we met. By no means was it the worst stay we've ever had, but despite our optimism it kept disappointing us. We'd already been in the D.R. for a week at this point, but the food here gave the whirlie twirlies. To sum it all up in one word, this resort felt "cold."

4 Thank Tex G
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your observations about your recent vacation at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

As service-oriented company, we have a firm devotion to accomplish our guest’s satisfaction; therefore, after we have finished reading your notes, we are truly sorry due the fact that we did not accomplish with our main goal: your total satisfaction.

At Sanctuary we have a strong commitment on continuous improvement; therefore your comments are very important to us, it is the only method that we can improve our service and knows better your preferences. Your notes have been sending to the departments involved in order to work on it. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced and I assure you, that corrective and preventive measures have been determined with all the departments involved, in order to avoid, similar situations in the future.

Finally, I would like to ask you to give us other opportunity, will be an honor host you in the future and exceed your expectations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#87 of 112 in Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol? Share your experiences!