Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts
Excellence Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$411
US$390
Excellence Resorts
US$249
US$196
  • Breakfast included
Breathless Punta Cana Resort & Spa(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$371
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$253
BahiaPrincipe
  • Pool
Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$391
US$293
US$437
US$428
Bookit.com
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$433
US$325
Melia.com
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$280
US$261
  • Breakfast included
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$331
US$248
US$771
US$578
Orbitz.com
5,145 results
All reviewsblue marlinlove barcasa bellajuanillo beachocean barmonarch villataco truckwok restaurantcastle poolcastle suitebaby faceroyalty villamain poolroom serviceblack angelpunta espadaour honeymoon
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I wanted to love Sanctuary, I really did. I fancied myself as one of those laid back, easygoing travelers who would sign on to TripAdvisor to complain that the negative reviewers must be uptight travelers with unrealistic expectations. Now, that may still be true, but we did experience some issues. We waited a good 30 minutes at the check in desk. We handed over our passports and the representative then got on an extended, heated telephone call. After hanging up he shook his head at us as if to say, "can you believe the person on the other end of the call?" and then proceeded to the back room. I think the phrase, "Are you kidding me?" actually escaped my lips. Another representative approached the desk and asked if we were being helped. We replied that we had handed over our passports 30 minutes ago. I guess since we don't speak fluent Spanish for a time we had assumed that the call was related to our check in, perhaps to housekeeping to inquire why our room wasn't ready. That obviously wasn't the case. We were then offered an "upgraded" room in the castle. I have no earthy idea whether this room is actually an upgrade over the room we booked and paid for. There are so many different types of rooms at a variety of prices sprinkled across the property. The castle is a bit of a walk from the beach and dining establishments, which we don't mind at all especially as the landscaping of the resort truly is lovely, but the castle itself appeared to be under major renovation. Much of it was unlighted and unfurnished, leading me to feel as if we were walking through a horror movie at night. The gym is located in the castle, which is a plus, and the bar and pool there are a nice quiet refuge. We very much enjoyed the Coco Locos we imbibed there. As for our room itself, the decor was tired and the sliding door to the patio was broken and would not lock. We did have a nice view of the lovely public Juanillo Beach. We did have a Nespresso machine, which is awesome, but I stopped using it after spotting a cockroach walking on it. I understand that this is the Carribbean and "wildlife" may be present, but I don't want to picture that while enjoying my morning coffee. As for positives, I have already mentioned the landscaping. We found the food to be on par with our expectations for an all inclusive, and the staff was friendly. We liked the size of the resort, as we are not interested in huge mega resorts as we live in NYC and are surrounded by people everyday. To summarize, we did enjoy ourselves but would most likely select another location for our next beach vacation.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nycyogini
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your observations about your recent vacation at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

As service-oriented company, we have a firm devotion to accomplish our guest’s satisfaction; therefore, after we have finished reading your notes, we are truly sorry due the fact that we did not accomplish with our main goal: your total satisfaction.

At Sanctuary we have a strong commitment on continuous improvement; therefore your comments are very important to us, it is the only method that we can improve our service and knows better your preferences. Your notes have been sending to the departments involved in order to work on it. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced and I assure you, that corrective and preventive measures have been determined with all the departments involved, in order to avoid, similar situations in the future.

Finally, I would like to ask you to give us other opportunity, will be an honor host you in the future and exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed at Sanctuary last July, we had a hard time trying to pick a resort. The grounds are beautiful, we felt like we had a lot to explore. The castle area is really cool. We were upgraded to a villa and it was huge! The bathroom was the size of a small room and gorgeous. The beach is a small area, however it was great for swimming, great chairs, and you can walk to a really large beach. I'm an ocean girl and I found it very accommodating and swam every day in the ocean. The breakfast and lunch buffets were good, I did not like the dinner options very well. We ate at all the restaurants, and I wished the buffet restaurant would have been open for dinner. Great service, very friendly staff. The only thing about the villa was there were bugs, and crabs that were on the walls. The walls in the bedroom are some kind of stone and the roof is thatch hut style, so I don't think they can really keep them out. It was not horrible and the walls in the bedroom were at least 15 feet high so I wasn't really worried about the crabs, and it did leak in the rain in the hallway. It wasn't an issue for us, we just put down a towel. We really loved it, the only complaint I would have was the food. There was just something off about it, spices or something that really did turn my stomach. That would be the only reason I might consider another location, however that was almost a year ago.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephanie C

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback about your recent stay at our hotel.

We are so thrilled to learn that you enjoyed our facilities and the service. At Sanctuary Cap Cana it is our pleasure to service our guest with the finest hospitality.

Also, I would like to tank you for your recommendations, our guest’s opinion are very important for us, this the only way that we can know about your preferences and improve our service, thank you very much for your notes, have sent your comments to the corresponding managers in order to take them under consideration and improve the procedures at the mentioned departments

We hope to have the honor to host you again in the future.

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Food ! Suck, and very small portion, ordered fried calamari , got 1 fish stick, 2 tentacles I am not kidding 10$.
Internet room 12 $ suck
Lobby internet good
Maid service : you want to take a shower , u have to wait for towels because they forgot to leave them when they cleaned up.
Couch in the room !! White stuff on it
Taxi : 40 $ one way if the the taxi wait for u additional fees.
Coffee suck
Missing some music at the pool.
Food inside hotel expensive
No much to do outside the hotel only Hard Rock Cafe !!!!!!
No snack in the afternoon , like sweets or croissants or cookies .
No ice cream
It's close from the airport and far from the downtown punta cana where there are only a little mall that resemble at USA malls. Brand name like desigual, nautica etc......
It's a trip only for people who want to stay at the hotel , enjoying swimming pool and beach. And have a quiet time . If u want to party go somewhere else .
Please choose a another hotel !!! And check if receipts !!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Maria P
Reviewed 28 June 2014

If I were to mention everything wonderful about Sanctuary Cap Cana my review would be as ling as "War and Peace". Words cannot truly explain the beauty and attentiveness that was displayed. I would also like to stress that there is no top or bottom when it comes to individuals. Everyone is equal in their kindness. They all poured their love out to make you feel like part of their family. A vacation is not all about the resort (in which this one was supreme) but pal so how things are managed and the staff. The staff at the sanctuary go far and beyond the call od duty. The bend over backwards for your satisfaction and comfort. I've been raving about the sanctuary since I came back. If I were to mention every one there the list would be endless. The front desk manager Hector could not have been more accommodating and is a true GEM! Enrique the Director of Services. Starting off with Menor, Kayla, Margarita, Carlos (the bartender) Chocolate, Inoska, Eligio, Raul, Valentina, Aneurys, Manilin, Maria, Lurdes, Josefina, Adolfo, Junior, Gabino, Liliana, Martha, Carlos (the scuba instructor) MALVIN, Oscar, Katerina, Juan, El Sol, Christian, the cleaning staff and the list goes on. As you can see I made it my point to get as people as I could and I apologies for those I left out. It was without a doubt a beautiful experience. Not only with the amazing hotel by the people. The hotel has a feeling of old world Spain. Amazingly tranquil! No noise to complain about and absolutely safe. Never felt threatened in any way. PLEASE DO NOT PASS UP ON THIS VACATION! I actually cried when I left! No words in the dictionary to further describe this amazing vacation! JUST GO, PLEASE and tell them MIRANDA sent you! ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY!!!!

Room Tip: I loved the bottom level. You just walk out and everything is there! No climbing or going up the stairs. We had room 1024!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pnkantique

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

It is a pleasure to read that you had a wonderful experience at our Sanctuary, we are very pleased to know that you enjoyed our facilities and the service provided for all our staff. Our main goal is the total satisfaction of our guests and we are very glad to read that we accomplish that goal during your stay.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

It was a real pleasure to stay here for two weeks. The cuisine is international and sometimes they organize dominican night buffet. Only one time we waited at dinner 30 minutes for the first plate. All the other Times they have served us so quickly and the dinner was delicious. Johanna at the Love bar is so professional And funny. Also eddie, junior And maria were the best.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for share on Trip Advisor your recent experience in our Sanctuary.

We are very glad to learn that you had a wonderful vacations, it is a pleasure to read that you
enjoyed our facilities and service. Our main goal is to transform the holidays of our guests in memorable moments and we are very happy to read that we accomplish that goal with you.

We hope you will visit us again at this, your Sancturary.