“THE BEST HOTEL EVER!!! THE BEST SERVICE EVER!!!”

Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol
Ranked #39 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
New York, New York, United States
“THE BEST HOTEL EVER!!! THE BEST SERVICE EVER!!!”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We chose this hotel to return to the Dominican Republic after 3 years of not having gone there, and wow. Let me start with the star of the show, their service. This has got to be the best service I have ever had in a hotel ever, the entire crew from the people cleaning the rooms to the general manager are simply amazing. Let me mention some names here, even though they are all exceptional there. In the bar Julio, Jonathan, Miguel, Eric are simply fabulous, you do not want to leave the pool with those guys there, they make you feel like family all the time. Julio and Eric are management material, their attention to detail is flawless. In the restaurants they are all amazing as well, however, again I have to mention some names because their service goes beyond. Giranny was the first server I met when i arrived, and i wanted her to take care of me for my entire stay, she is so fabulous that it is like she reads your mind. Elio is an amazing server as well, lively and chipper, he accommodates you as much as he can, he is simply awesome. Then there is Miguel who is super happy to serve you as well. The hostess are great, Eva and Rebecca are the best hostesses I have seen in any restaurant, they just radiate happiness and always have a smile of their faces. In the love bar there is Johanna, who is a doll, always happy and always dancing. She made me want to stay in the bar and just have a good time! The entertainment team is quite simply awesome, Menor is one of the funniest people i have ever met in my life, he made me laugh by anything he said, he made staying in the hotel fun, his partner also. The entire management team is great, I had the opportunity to meet them by the pool during an introduction and I had to go over and talk to them I was so happy at the hotel, keep up the great service guys. In the reception area there are Juan and Brenda, happy to receive you and sad when you have to leave, they are very nice people to deal with. Service to me is the most important factor in the hotel business and these people have it down to a science, I will always go to this hotel when I go to the Dominican Republic and I already can't wait to go back, they made my stay feel like a dream. On another note, the hotel itself is beautiful, the rooms are gorgeous and well maintained, the pool was always clean, no issues anywhere whatsoever. It takes hard work and dedication to run a hotel like this, I will refer over my entire family and friends, even clients of mines to this hotel. Awesome job all around guys, can't wait to see you all again.

Room Tip: Room close to the reception area and pool.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am delighted to hear about your recent experience at Sanctuary, as well I would like to thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to write your impressions.

Exceeding the expectations of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this it is necessary to provide good service and attitude; therefore I am proud to hear that our staff went above and beyond in their effort to fulfill all your needs.

Thank you for the great review and for recommending our hotel to future travelers.

We look forward to your next visit.

Ignacio Perez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,272)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed there last July, loved the grounds, service and food. We opted for the all inclusive option which made things easier, you still receive a bill at the end of meals but the amount owed is $0, this can get annoying when ordering drinks and getting a bill for 0 each time however this stopped on the second day once you got to know the bartenders at the different bars. The beach close to the 'party pool' was small. To get to the larger section of beach you had to walk to the end of the resort then pass the public beach, this wasn't a major issue for us as the walk was beautiful through the grounds. We ate at all the restaurants, everything we ate was great. Can't wait to return.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for share on Trip Advisor your recent experience in our Sanctuary.

We are very glad to learn that you had a wonderful vacations, it is a pleasure to read that you
enjoyed our facilities and service. Our main goal is to transform the holidays of our guests in memorable moments and we are very happy to read that we accomplish that goal with you.

We hope you will visit us again at this, your Sancturary.

Gainesville, Virginia
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This is my letter to the hotel and to their management company detailing our issues: Though we had a very enjoyable vacation, there are a number of items I feel that you need to be made aware of. We chose your resort because of it’s 4.5-5 star ratings on many travel websites and also because of recommendations from friends. However, I have to say that for a resort that claims to be one of the best in the Dominican Republic, it was lacking in several places.
First and foremost was the quality of the food. Never have I been to a 4-5 star hotel or resort that had such poor food. The first problem is that technically it is not all inclusive like you claim. If you have to pay extra for quality food, then it’s not all inclusive. We wanted to try the lobster at Blue Marlin and ribeye at Steakhouse, but it was quite disappointing to have to pay extra. The breakfast buffet at Casa Bella was lackluster at best. It was very difficult to find something appetizing. The lunch on the beach was inedible, not only because of the taste but because of lack of food safety measures by your staff. No one wore gloves and there was cross contamination everywhere. Dinners were by far the best meal, but even they were not excellent. In fact, my husband got incredibly ill our last night by eating bad mussels from Blue Marlin. Our biggest disappointment in the food was not being able to eat at Wok. We were told by one staff member no reservations were needed, then told that they were. We never figured out what the real story was. When we tried to eat there we discovered it was a tiny restaurant, far too small for the resort, and we would have had to wait over an hour to eat outside. We did not wait, and went to Steakhouse instead, where we waited over an hour for our food to be served. Overall, the food definitely needs to be improved.
Secondly, the housekeeping was very inconsistent. It was incredibly difficult to get enough towels, and washcloths were never brought unless we called and asked for them. The quality of the towels was very poor as they were rough and frayed. I also noticed that the robes in the spa were all frayed and in bad condition as well.
We had several calls to maintenance as well. On of our doorknobs was falling off and dropping rusty screws on the floor. It was fixed, but should never have been left in that condition to begin with. Our bathtub had almost no water pressure and when maintenance couldn’t fix it, he just left and gave us no other options. I was very unhappy to not be able to use the tub.
Overall, the resort is beautiful and relaxing, but in need of a major overhaul. We very much enjoyed the beach and pools and the spa was excellent despite needing new robes, but so much more needs to be done to make it a quality resort. It looks like it is being left to fall into disrepair and the food was a huge disappointment. I sincerely hope you will look into these issues. I would love to say I would come back or would recommend your resort, but with the items listed above needing to be addressed, I just can’t.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Garchibald1022
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your observations about your recent vacation at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

As service-oriented company, we have a firm devotion to accomplish our guest’s satisfaction; therefore, after we have finished reading your notes, we are truly sorry due the fact that we did not accomplish with our main goal: your total satisfaction.

At Sanctuary we have a strong commitment on continuous improvement; therefore your comments are very important to us, it is the only method that we can improve our service and knows better your preferences. Your notes have been sending to the departments involved in order to work on it. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced and I assure you, that corrective and preventive measures have been determined with all the departments involved, in order to avoid, similar situations in the future.

Finally, I would like to ask you to give us other opportunity, will be an honor host you in the future and exceed your expectations.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Excellent experience at Sanctuary! Would definitely return. Stayed at the fortress 3038. Room was excellent. Adjacent "honeymoon" sweets were also quite nice. Very peaceful and tranquil place overall. Staff were courteous, kind and cheerful. Always eager to help. Would definitely go again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DRAJS1
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities, and I know my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs. I will share your feedback with the entire team. They love knowing that our guest appreciates there service.

We look forward to see you soon at our Sanctuary!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I wanted to love Sanctuary, I really did. I fancied myself as one of those laid back, easygoing travelers who would sign on to TripAdvisor to complain that the negative reviewers must be uptight travelers with unrealistic expectations. Now, that may still be true, but we did experience some issues. We waited a good 30 minutes at the check in desk. We handed over our passports and the representative then got on an extended, heated telephone call. After hanging up he shook his head at us as if to say, "can you believe the person on the other end of the call?" and then proceeded to the back room. I think the phrase, "Are you kidding me?" actually escaped my lips. Another representative approached the desk and asked if we were being helped. We replied that we had handed over our passports 30 minutes ago. I guess since we don't speak fluent Spanish for a time we had assumed that the call was related to our check in, perhaps to housekeeping to inquire why our room wasn't ready. That obviously wasn't the case. We were then offered an "upgraded" room in the castle. I have no earthy idea whether this room is actually an upgrade over the room we booked and paid for. There are so many different types of rooms at a variety of prices sprinkled across the property. The castle is a bit of a walk from the beach and dining establishments, which we don't mind at all especially as the landscaping of the resort truly is lovely, but the castle itself appeared to be under major renovation. Much of it was unlighted and unfurnished, leading me to feel as if we were walking through a horror movie at night. The gym is located in the castle, which is a plus, and the bar and pool there are a nice quiet refuge. We very much enjoyed the Coco Locos we imbibed there. As for our room itself, the decor was tired and the sliding door to the patio was broken and would not lock. We did have a nice view of the lovely public Juanillo Beach. We did have a Nespresso machine, which is awesome, but I stopped using it after spotting a cockroach walking on it. I understand that this is the Carribbean and "wildlife" may be present, but I don't want to picture that while enjoying my morning coffee. As for positives, I have already mentioned the landscaping. We found the food to be on par with our expectations for an all inclusive, and the staff was friendly. We liked the size of the resort, as we are not interested in huge mega resorts as we live in NYC and are surrounded by people everyday. To summarize, we did enjoy ourselves but would most likely select another location for our next beach vacation.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nycyogini

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed at Sanctuary last July, we had a hard time trying to pick a resort. The grounds are beautiful, we felt like we had a lot to explore. The castle area is really cool. We were upgraded to a villa and it was huge! The bathroom was the size of a small room and gorgeous. The beach is a small area, however it was great for swimming, great chairs, and you can walk to a really large beach. I'm an ocean girl and I found it very accommodating and swam every day in the ocean. The breakfast and lunch buffets were good, I did not like the dinner options very well. We ate at all the restaurants, and I wished the buffet restaurant would have been open for dinner. Great service, very friendly staff. The only thing about the villa was there were bugs, and crabs that were on the walls. The walls in the bedroom are some kind of stone and the roof is thatch hut style, so I don't think they can really keep them out. It was not horrible and the walls in the bedroom were at least 15 feet high so I wasn't really worried about the crabs, and it did leak in the rain in the hallway. It wasn't an issue for us, we just put down a towel. We really loved it, the only complaint I would have was the food. There was just something off about it, spices or something that really did turn my stomach. That would be the only reason I might consider another location, however that was almost a year ago.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stephanie C
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback about your recent stay at our hotel.

We are so thrilled to learn that you enjoyed our facilities and the service. At Sanctuary Cap Cana it is our pleasure to service our guest with the finest hospitality.

Also, I would like to tank you for your recommendations, our guest’s opinion are very important for us, this the only way that we can know about your preferences and improve our service, thank you very much for your notes, have sent your comments to the corresponding managers in order to take them under consideration and improve the procedures at the mentioned departments

We hope to have the honor to host you again in the future.

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Food ! Suck, and very small portion, ordered fried calamari , got 1 fish stick, 2 tentacles I am not kidding 10$.
Internet room 12 $ suck
Lobby internet good
Maid service : you want to take a shower , u have to wait for towels because they forgot to leave them when they cleaned up.
Couch in the room !! White stuff on it
Taxi : 40 $ one way if the the taxi wait for u additional fees.
Coffee suck
Missing some music at the pool.
Food inside hotel expensive
No much to do outside the hotel only Hard Rock Cafe !!!!!!
No snack in the afternoon , like sweets or croissants or cookies .
No ice cream
It's close from the airport and far from the downtown punta cana where there are only a little mall that resemble at USA malls. Brand name like desigual, nautica etc......
It's a trip only for people who want to stay at the hotel , enjoying swimming pool and beach. And have a quiet time . If u want to party go somewhere else .
Please choose a another hotel !!! And check if receipts !!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#86 of 112 in Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol? Share your experiences!