“Resort takes your breath away!”

Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol
Ranked #41 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Deerfield Beach, Florida
“Resort takes your breath away!”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at Sanctuary Cap Cana or our honeymoon in July 2014. We chose Sanctuary because of the reviews we read here on Trip Advisor and the beautiful pictures we saw online.

The flight from Miami was quick and easy, we arrive in Punta Cana in less than two hours. The airport in Punta Cana was outdoor with a thatched roof and has a nice charm. You immediately felt like you were in the tropics and on vacation. You have to go through immigration and pay the $10 tax, then you get your bags and go through customs. We were stopped at customs and grabbed a cab right out front. $30 and twenty minutes later we were at the resort. Heads up, the airport loses its charm when you leave...you have to go through immigration again! Which took almost an hour in a super long line of grumpy, hot travelers. The airport has no air conditioning, again thatched roof. We thankfully got there early so the wait didn't affect us. You have to walk through all the stores before you get to your gates. About half of the gates are in a semi air conditioned area but not enough chairs for everyone. When you go through the gate you have to wait outside for a bus to take you to the plane. I have never been happier to board a plane then when we were leaving Punta Cana.

We booked the Monarch Ocean Front Villa because we wanted something a little private and romantic. The resort's website does not have that many pictures of each individual suite, if they had we would have booked something different. We checked into our room around 3 and there was two men from maintenance trying to repair the exterior door off the bedroom. They left and we tried to open the door so we could use the back porch and it fell right off the hinges. They came back and worked on it for another hour and it barely hung on so we just didn't use it. Room was updated and beautiful, bathroom and shower very modern and tropical. The view was lackluster though. We could see the ocean but people were walking by our porch and lawn workers were right outside as well. Not as private or close to the water as we had hoped.

The second day we went to the Front Desk and asked to see alternative rooms. We chose to move to the King and Queen Honeymoon Villa which was so much nicer. We had almost double the amount of square footage and a massive deck right on the water which was amazing. We did not need all the extra room but it was a nice plus. The villa has a thatched roof so it stays a little warmer than a normal hotel room would but it was fine. The bathroom is outdoor and one morning we were greeted by a crab! Made us laugh. We scooped him in a trash can and put him outside.

I agree with what others have been saying about the food. Buffet breakfast was wonderful and had lots of options. Italian place was okay, steakhouse was our favorite, sushi was okay, but the Blue Marlin was our favorite. We went there for lunch and dinner a couple times. We did end up getting very sick on our fourth day there, we think from the water or something was bad we ate. We did drink the water from the jugs at the restaurants before that. We were sick for five days until our doctor at home put us on antibiotics. So our advice would be to not drink the water from the restaurants, or salads and to avoid the ice. Also, don't brush your teeth with the water! We did that too.

We spent the majority of our time at the pools and went to Juanillo Beach once. We loved the weather and the pools and wanted to be outside as much as possible. There are many pools and we would suggest avoiding the main pool unless you want to be around kids and/or be nagged by the employees selling things around the pool. Very annoying. Our absolute favorite pool was the castle pool because of the view and almost no one was ever there! It was like our own private pool.

Overall, we loved the grounds and the resort. The views were spectacular and every single person we met who worked there was happy and nice. Even though they work very long hours. We would see the same hostess for breakfast, lunch and dinner every single day. The employee that we loved and raved about was Bernardo at the Love Piano Bar. He was funny and remembered us every time we came in. We made sure to always stop by and see him everyday.

Room Tip: Book in the castle for the most modern rooms and they have the best view.
2 Thank coebonne
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Guest,

The comments and suggestion of our guest’s are of the utmost importance and assistance to us and I greatly appreciate the time you took to post your review after having stayed with us. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana

Exceeding the expectations of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this it is necessary to provide good service and attitude; therefore I am proud to hear that our staff went above and beyond in their effort to fulfill all your needs.

I am glad to hear that your vacation have been better than you expected and it is clear to me that we have achieved our goal. Notwithstanding, your comments on improvement areas will be part of our daily work.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again at

Ignacio Perez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,247)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Denver
Reviewed 31 July 2014

If you are looking for a quaint spot for a quiet getaway, this is your place. The resort is absolutely beautiful and allows walk-up access to Juanillo Beach. We spent most of our time at the pools and the beach, which was very relaxing. The resort had various activities during the day to participate in: cigar tasting, beach volleyball, dance lessons, etc. However, there was not much of a night life at this resort. The food was also ok. We thought the hibachi grill was the best and the Italian restaurant a close second. Overall, we enjoyed our trip as the staff were very friendly and helpful. We were greeted with a cool towel and a fruit cocktail, which was a nice touch. If we needed anything, the staff responded in a timely manner.

Room Tip: The ocean view junior suite was a very nice room with a back patio. However, we did not have much of...
1 Thank Christina M
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am delighted to hear about your recent experience at Sanctuary, as well I would like to thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to write your impressions.

Thank you for the great review and for recommending our hotel to future travelers.

We look forward to your next visit.

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed there November of last year. It was one of those spur of the moment, let's get away trips. This was our first trip to the Dominican Republic. The resort is a 30 minute or so ride from the airport in a fairly isolated part of Punta Cana. There isn't anything really close to it entertainment wise so the resort is your everything. Our stay was for a week, and looking back it should have been four days. There just isn't much to do.

The resort is very pretty. The landscaping is impressive, and looked very well kept. The staff was always helpful and polite. The room itself was a basic king bedroom, on a 0-10 cleanliness scale I gave it a 7. Room service is a plus. The food was basic, and after a week we were dying for something different. I highly recommend the grouper sandwhich. It was always good. The steak house and Italian restaurants are the best, with the Asian place coming in at a close third. The buffet was only good for breakfast. There were themed nights at the Blue Marlin that was cute and broke up the monotony. The pools were nice, especially the one overlooking the others. The pool bar does not know how to do a basic cocktail, and always for us at least served watered down spirits. I got 5 different versions of an amaretto sour. It was kinda funny.

Activity wise you can lounge on the beach. You can also walk to a beach that is maybe a 10 minute walk. Were they shine are the excursions. There are many good looking ones, and we chose the one where you see the local side of DR. That was the highlight as we sampled local food, cocoa, and went to a school. The ride can get very bumpy on that one so try to ride up front. Going to the the blue hole was awesome. It was FREEZING and there were lots of people there taking the plunge. To get there its a short walk through a forest so flimsy flip flops aren't a good idea.

Overall the resort to me is a solid three star. I thinks it's totally fine for a weekend. Only more if you are doing a lot of excursions, and it is your home base.

Room Tip: Try to get a higher floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank FinAndFiona
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback about your recent stay at our hotel.

We are so thrilled to learn that you enjoyed our facilities. I would like to thank you for your recommendations, our guest’s opinion are very important for us, this the only way that we can know about your preferences and improve our service, thank you very much for your notes, I have sent your comments to the corresponding managers in order to take them under consideration and improve the procedures at the mentioned departments

We hope to have the honor to host you again in the future.

Texas
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We just got back on sunday eve from being at this amazing resort with three other families, the service was wonderful everyone was so friendly Raul one of the managers always took care of us no matter where he saw us. The pool bar was always happening Carlos, Jr , Julio and Margarita where always there, and of course cant say any less for Enrique another manager just on top of the game. oh and i cant forget to mention Menor he knows how to party. Thanks guys for an amazing vacation the resort is its own little town and the beautiful landscape is breath taking. Cant wait to be back real soon, We already miss all the staff. The Kondo's

Room Tip: must get the ocean font villas they are perfect.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank marisolk01
Dear Guest,

Thank you for share on Trip Advisor your recent experience in our Sanctuary.

We are so thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana. At Sanctuary Cap Cana it is our pleasure to service our guest with the finest hospitality. We want to guarantee a vacation that will be unforgettable. Thank you for you kind remarks and recognition of efforts. Please tell your friends about our hotel.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We just got back from Sanctuary Cap Cana this past Sunday after spending 4 amazing nights there. My wife, her sister, brother-in-law and I wanted to go somewhere to celebrate my wife's 40th birthday where we could do nothing but relax.

Arrival at Airport: DR makes you pay a $10/pp tax to get in the country. Not that big of a deal, but kind of bush league I thought. Also, as apparently is the case with every Caribbean country, there are airport "officials" who start to take your bags for you as soon as their off the baggage claim and will shepherd you to their transportation company line. You need to decline these services if you've already arranged your own transportation, or they will be expecting a tip.

Check-in: Once we got to our correct Transportation company, the ride was only about 10-15 minutes from the airport. This was very nice. Once we got to the hotel, we were offered a drink and brought to the reception desk. The lobby is very beautiful with rustic looking columns and a fountain in the middle, but also has a pretty strong incense smell that was overpowering at times. Otherwise, everyone was nice, and check-in was very smooth.

Room: I thought the room was great. Some commenters have complained that their rooms were beat up. I didn't find this at all, other than the areas that are supposed to look beaten up - like the "distressed" tile floors. The bed was very comfortable and we had a nice balcony overlooking the pool and the ocean beyond that. If I had one complaint, it would be the showers. The water pressure was weak, and wouldn't get hot for about 5 minutes after it was turned on. Then it would get really hot, then really cold without you touching it.

Food: I was very nervous about the food after reading so many reviews complaining about the food quality. I would say it was very good. Not the best I've ever had, but overall I thought it was good. Unless they were going to hire a world-class chef, I'd expect the food to stay the same.

Pool: This was the best part of the resort. The water was the perfect temperature. Totally refreshing. Swim up bar was also nice. There were kids in the pool, but they all seemed to be well behaved (maybe because they were all European?). Otherwise, it wasn't too crowded. There was music going but definitely not a Vegas style pool.

Beach: As some others have said, there is tons of seaweed along the shore. They had guys shoveling it up pretty consistently, but when you first walk into the water your legs will get tangled up in the seaweed for the first 20 yards or so. Also the water churns up the fine-grained sand so it's not clear at all. We also loved having a cabana bed. We were able to snag one in the morning and essentially lay outside on it all day long.

Drinks: While there are your usual tropical selections, they must be putting next to no alcohol in the drinks. I'm a real lightweight, but I never felt buzzed at all after a few drinks. Eventually I had to order an extra shot on the side to dump into my drink. Even the beer (Presidente) seemed watered down.

On the whole, I would definitely recommend this place to anyone. I had some minor quibbles, but they were pretty minor. The tranquility you feel when you're at a place like this makes up for all of it.

4 Thank Mike C
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having shared your impressions.

I feel proud and grateful to hear that your experience with us left a memorable impression on you.

At Sanctuary Cap Cana we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, and it is a real pleasure for me to hear that we have achieved our goal. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence.

We look forward to your next visit.

Broken Hill, Australia
Reviewed 29 July 2014

After a hectic few weeks with work, we needed to escape the city for a much needed relaxing weekend. So we booked this hotel through Expedia, no problem. Check in time is 3:00pm, we arrived Friday at 3:15pm, for two nights, to be told that the room was not quite ready, please go and have something to eat and drink in the restaurant. (we had paid in advance for the all inclusive) We were given the room number. The service to seat us at Casa Bella was good, but after that...forgotten. Food which had obviously been sitting since lunch time was terrible. Dry, dry chicken and salad. At 4:15pm we arrived to the room to find that the staff member was still making the bed and was there for 10 mins after we returned. The room looked lovely! My husband is insulin dependant diabetic. So insulin needs refrigeration. Put the insulin in the bar fridge, where there was beer, water and soft drink all included. Then I went to open the doors to the deck but couldn't get them open, asked my husband and he struggled but eventually got them open. Used the toilet, but the toilet wasn't working. Rang reception and they said they would send the maintenance man. While I waited for him, my husband headed to the pool and the pool bar. I would meet him there for a drink when the man was finished. Maintenance man came and he was very good! I go to the pool. My husband is on one of the sun lounges. He said that he had been in the pool at the bar but couldn't get served, so got out and went around the back of the pool bar to order himself a drink. Then went to get a towel, there weren't any. He asked a man who pointed to a female staff member, he asked her and she said give me 10 minutes. Finally he got a towel. The same female staff member then came by where he was on the sun lounge and asked him if he would like a drink? He ordered a scotch and soda. It never came. When I arrived some time later, he told me he was waiting on a drink he ordered ages ago. So I went to the side door of the pool bar to get our drinks, they had the back blinds down and some of the front ones, there were 2 male staff serving and 1 female staff leaning against part of the bar and chatting. She ended up taking my order and telling one of the male staff. Got my drinks went back to the sun lounge to relax, we were nearly finished these drinks when a female staff member comes to take our plastic glasses, then realises that she didn't bring my husband his drink, we know this because a)he recognised her, b) because she hit her head three times and went "oi, oi, oi!!" but no apologies and just wandered off, didn't ask if we would like another drink, given that we were nearly finished. By then the pool bar was closed. On the way back to the room my husband stopped by reception to buy 2 days of wifi, which he did. We went back to the room and go to have a drink, the fridge was not working, the drinks were at room temperature and the insulin was not refrigerated. Rang and ordered room service for a drink, since the others were hot. Rang reception, explained about the insulin, they would send someone immediately. No one came, I went to reception, they phoned the maintenance personal and they said they were on the way. Got back to the room, waited, no one came. My husband was so angry, and said that we will go home! But of course it is not safe to drive on these roads at night because of robbers. Went to reception again, they said they would ring the man in charge of maintenance, they did and he said he, himself, would come immediately. I told the man on reception that we were not happy and would be leaving the next morning and not staying until Sunday lunch. I explained why, the man said we should speak to the Service Manager. I said if the Service Manager is here early, okay but if not, then we won't be waiting around. Went back to the room to find a man working on the fridge. Thankfully! It was late so, we left the man working on the fridge and we headed towards the Steakhouse Restaurant, but first we decide to have a couple of drinks from "Love Piano Bar", the young man behind the bar on Friday evening was very good, happy, gave good service. We had our drinks in the courtyard between Love and the Steakhouse, and it was lovely, but we were already stressed from our ordeal. We were greeted by a lovely young lady at the restaurant and the rest of the staff at the restaurant were lovely, service was good and food okay. Chorizo and Calamari could have been served hot though. Bread stale. Steak was good though. On the way back from the restaurant I thought I should drop off my husbands business card so that either the Service Manager or Manager of the Resort could contact us. So I did this, and explained that if we are gone in the morning before they arrive, please have them ring my husband. The bed in the room was comfortable, the shower recess did not drain quickly. Go to get the insulin out of the fridge in the morning to go to breakfast and the fridge is still not working. Went to breakfast just before 7:00am. Breakfast staff seated us promptly, got our coffee, then we got our breakfast which was good! But had to wait some time before one of the 3 staff came close enough for us to ask for more coffee and there was two other tables with one person at each. Go to book out, the young gentlemen out the front who welcome you were very good and cheerful. The lady on reception wanted to charge my husband for the internet which he had already paid for. So there was an argument. Then we asked about the refund. We were told that Expedia would have to do the refund. We were off the property by 8:00am Saturday and back in the city by 10:15am. I emailed Expedia and they replied promptly, then contacted my husband via email on Monday and advised that they were not able to make contact with the Manager of the Hotel. And they need to do this to be able to give us a refund. We have not heard from the Manager or the Service Manager.

Room Tip: Check everything works before unpacking.
7 Thank val2709
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to air your concerns regarding your recent stay at our Sanctuary Cap Cana.

Is saddens me to learn about the situation related with your arrival. I deeply regret that we could not fulfil your expectations with some of our services. You can rest assure that your observation were taken with the utmost consideration and I discussed the issues with the corresponding departments in order to fine tune with the operation.

Once more thank you for your constructive criticism as it is the best way to detect areas for improvements and can therefore take immediate actions.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This place is fantastic. It is mostly couples and some families with typically incredibly well-behaved kids. My boyfriend and I wanted to get out of the city for a few days, relax, drink, and read, and Sanctuary Cap Cana was perfect. We actually were at the Viva Wyndham our first day and left because it was so terrible. This place was like a mirage at first.

The service was fantastic at every step. Why yes, I'll take a drink and cold towel at check-in! The property is beautiful and they have done a really nice job of making the place feel secluded while having some key spots people tend to congregate. Everyday we met incredibly nice couples, and also had some great time to ourselves. We had an Ocean View Room next to the main building that was perfectly appointed.

The food is good, some things were great, other things missed the mark. The ceviche at blue marlin is quite tasty. We tried everywhere and I would probably say I enjoyed the Italian place and the Wok the best. You need a reservation if you want to do hibachi at the Wok. Someone made a comment about being charged for changing drinks; I have no idea what that is about and didn't encounter it. There were no hidden costs the entire time we were there, but definitely be sure to tip your waiters and bartenders. The bartenders at the pool bar are wonderful and hilarious.

The beach is pretty small and there is a ton of seaweed that floats in. Seriously, they have guys out all day cleaning it up. Once you get out a bit, it's not a big deal, but I could see that being a bigger deal for other people. Also, the housekeeping was kinda lacking. They didn't stock the minibar or espresso things everyday, forgot to replace towels, etc. Things were quickly taken care of when we would call the front desk though.

Overall, I was incredibly impressed with Sanctuary Cap Cana. They saved a potentially ruined vacation. Can't wait to be back.

Room Tip: The Oceanview room was great. There were rooms right on the beach. The rooms in the fortress are a...
1 Thank lhdrisc
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure to read, that you had a wonderful experience in our Sanctuary, we are very happy to know that you enjoyed our facilities, our culinary experience and the service provided for all our staff. Our main goal I the total satisfaction of our guests, and we are very glad to read that we accomplish that goal during your stay.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#87 of 111 in Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Green Don Pablo Collection

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol? Share your experiences!