Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts
Ranked #30 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Beautiful resort!The service staff was exceptional. The food was better than expected due to many negative reviews. Breakfast and lunch buffets were best. Dinners at the various restaurants, which were gorgeous with great service, were less satisfying. We stayed in a ocean front suite (reserved and paid for prior to arrival) but were put in an ocean view suite the first night (big difference). We complained loudly were moved by lunchtime the next day and compensated with spa/massage time by the front desk. Recommend getting one of the beach cabanas for easy access to shade, pool, drinks, beach, lunchtime bbq etc. Punta Cana airport has long lines coming and going. Save time and buy a tourist card online before you leave.

Room Tip: Ocean Front Suite. Avoid "Fortress" rooms
2  Thank jad19so
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure to read, that you had a wonderful experience in our Sanctuary, we are very happy to know that you enjoyed our facilities, our culinary experience and the service provided for all our staff. Our main goal I the total satisfaction of our guests, and we are very glad to read that we accomplish that goal during your stay.

Ignacio Perez

Write a ReviewReviews (5,047)

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

I made a reservation weeks in advance. Upon arrival today, they took my credit card and ID and proceeded to check me in (and charge me). Then they escorted me to the lobby seating and asked that we wait a few minutes. A front desk attendant came over to tell us that the hotel was sold out. They offered to put us in a neighboring hotel. We opted to leave (we have a car). Total disappointment for this 5 star place in Cap Cana.

The hotel looks pretty. I would not book again, considering that you may not have a room upon arrival.

Stayed: August 2014
10  Thank CeeeeP
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the experience during your visit and any inconveniences that thus may have caused, know that your feedback is very important for us. It must to be note that day after day we put a lot of effort and dedication in providing our guests the best quality service as they well deserve.

As regards the situation presented by the overbooking during the stay that you had reserved, it should be note that the overbooking is not a common policy in our hotel, I would like to assure you that the occurred is not in anyway representative of our overall service; we ask your understanding for these situations that occur in every hotel around the world, although it is not a daily thing at ours.

I personally assure you that we are committed to achieving our complete customer satisfaction; it is for this reason that we offered several options to improve your feelings. I assure you that the necessary measures have been already taken to avoid this type of situations in the future.

Once again I extend you my most sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

General Manage

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I have just returned yesterday from the Sanctuary and I am longing to be back. Of course no matter the place you go, people will complain about something. I was so in love with the place and cannot wait to plan my next trip. Great and accommodating staff on such a beautiful area of land.

Pools: The pools are lovely. The swim up pool with the bar was my favorite by far but then the other that are scattered seem almost private. (We were fortunate to have our own infinite pool in our room, it was amazing.) All of the staff takes excellent care of you during your stay by the pool. Junior became the go-to guy for our family and took care of our every need with a smile on his face!

Entertainment: Onsite there was something going on every evening from the beach dance party on Saturday to the Dominican dancers later in the week. All day, every day there are different activities to participate in. Just follow Menor, he is the man of the party!!! Volleyball, water balloons, water aerobics, dart tournaments and more. The Love Bar at night had music and was a great time to dance to, except the air flow. You need to step out to take a breather every now and then.

Age Groups: It was my family and our family friends on this stay. For all of the adults, it was more than relaxing and wonderful. For the teenage boys, they were looking for more young people to mingle with. This is definitely the place to go to enjoy the family, relax, or a romantic getaway.

Food: First let me say that all inclusive resorts do not typically have very great options, but this was not the case for the Sanctuary. I enjoyed the fresh make your own omelet bar each morning. The food is not the best you have ever had, but it was very good. I highly recommend the Wok as it was my favorite.

Beach: The sand was a lovely pink and the water turquoise, clear and felt great! It is the ocean people, of course there is seaweed (no big deal). The cabanas on the beach were so relaxing and wonderful, just do not forget the sunscreen.

Weather: For the end of July it was absolutely perfect. Upper 80s in the day, mid 70s at night and sunny.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Helen L

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure to read, that you had a wonderful experience in our Sanctuary, we are very happy to know that you enjoyed our facilities and the service provided for all our staff. Our main goal I the total satisfaction of our guests, and we are very glad to read that we accomplish that goal during your stay.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at Sanctuary Cap Cana or our honeymoon in July 2014. We chose Sanctuary because of the reviews we read here on Trip Advisor and the beautiful pictures we saw online.

The flight from Miami was quick and easy, we arrive in Punta Cana in less than two hours. The airport in Punta Cana was outdoor with a thatched roof and has a nice charm. You immediately felt like you were in the tropics and on vacation. You have to go through immigration and pay the $10 tax, then you get your bags and go through customs. We were stopped at customs and grabbed a cab right out front. $30 and twenty minutes later we were at the resort. Heads up, the airport loses its charm when you leave...you have to go through immigration again! Which took almost an hour in a super long line of grumpy, hot travelers. The airport has no air conditioning, again thatched roof. We thankfully got there early so the wait didn't affect us. You have to walk through all the stores before you get to your gates. About half of the gates are in a semi air conditioned area but not enough chairs for everyone. When you go through the gate you have to wait outside for a bus to take you to the plane. I have never been happier to board a plane then when we were leaving Punta Cana.

We booked the Monarch Ocean Front Villa because we wanted something a little private and romantic. The resort's website does not have that many pictures of each individual suite, if they had we would have booked something different. We checked into our room around 3 and there was two men from maintenance trying to repair the exterior door off the bedroom. They left and we tried to open the door so we could use the back porch and it fell right off the hinges. They came back and worked on it for another hour and it barely hung on so we just didn't use it. Room was updated and beautiful, bathroom and shower very modern and tropical. The view was lackluster though. We could see the ocean but people were walking by our porch and lawn workers were right outside as well. Not as private or close to the water as we had hoped.

The second day we went to the Front Desk and asked to see alternative rooms. We chose to move to the King and Queen Honeymoon Villa which was so much nicer. We had almost double the amount of square footage and a massive deck right on the water which was amazing. We did not need all the extra room but it was a nice plus. The villa has a thatched roof so it stays a little warmer than a normal hotel room would but it was fine. The bathroom is outdoor and one morning we were greeted by a crab! Made us laugh. We scooped him in a trash can and put him outside.

I agree with what others have been saying about the food. Buffet breakfast was wonderful and had lots of options. Italian place was okay, steakhouse was our favorite, sushi was okay, but the Blue Marlin was our favorite. We went there for lunch and dinner a couple times. We did end up getting very sick on our fourth day there, we think from the water or something was bad we ate. We did drink the water from the jugs at the restaurants before that. We were sick for five days until our doctor at home put us on antibiotics. So our advice would be to not drink the water from the restaurants, or salads and to avoid the ice. Also, don't brush your teeth with the water! We did that too.

We spent the majority of our time at the pools and went to Juanillo Beach once. We loved the weather and the pools and wanted to be outside as much as possible. There are many pools and we would suggest avoiding the main pool unless you want to be around kids and/or be nagged by the employees selling things around the pool. Very annoying. Our absolute favorite pool was the castle pool because of the view and almost no one was ever there! It was like our own private pool.

Overall, we loved the grounds and the resort. The views were spectacular and every single person we met who worked there was happy and nice. Even though they work very long hours. We would see the same hostess for breakfast, lunch and dinner every single day. The employee that we loved and raved about was Bernardo at the Love Piano Bar. He was funny and remembered us every time we came in. We made sure to always stop by and see him everyday.

Room Tip: Book in the castle for the most modern rooms and they have the best view.
2  Thank coebonne

Dear Guest,

The comments and suggestion of our guest’s are of the utmost importance and assistance to us and I greatly appreciate the time you took to post your review after having stayed with us. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana

Exceeding the expectations of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this it is necessary to provide good service and attitude; therefore I am proud to hear that our staff went above and beyond in their effort to fulfill all your needs.

I am glad to hear that your vacation have been better than you expected and it is clear to me that we have achieved our goal. Notwithstanding, your comments on improvement areas will be part of our daily work.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again at

Reviewed 31 July 2014

If you are looking for a quaint spot for a quiet getaway, this is your place. The resort is absolutely beautiful and allows walk-up access to Juanillo Beach. We spent most of our time at the pools and the beach, which was very relaxing. The resort had various activities during the day to participate in: cigar tasting, beach volleyball, dance lessons, etc. However, there was not much of a night life at this resort. The food was also ok. We thought the hibachi grill was the best and the Italian restaurant a close second. Overall, we enjoyed our trip as the staff were very friendly and helpful. We were greeted with a cool towel and a fruit cocktail, which was a nice touch. If we needed anything, the staff responded in a timely manner.

Room Tip: The ocean view junior suite was a very nice room with a back patio. However, we did not have much of...
1  Thank Christina M

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am delighted to hear about your recent experience at Sanctuary, as well I would like to thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to write your impressions.

Thank you for the great review and for recommending our hotel to future travelers.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed there November of last year. It was one of those spur of the moment, let's get away trips. This was our first trip to the Dominican Republic. The resort is a 30 minute or so ride from the airport in a fairly isolated part of Punta Cana. There isn't anything really close to it entertainment wise so the resort is your everything. Our stay was for a week, and looking back it should have been four days. There just isn't much to do.

The resort is very pretty. The landscaping is impressive, and looked very well kept. The staff was always helpful and polite. The room itself was a basic king bedroom, on a 0-10 cleanliness scale I gave it a 7. Room service is a plus. The food was basic, and after a week we were dying for something different. I highly recommend the grouper sandwhich. It was always good. The steak house and Italian restaurants are the best, with the Asian place coming in at a close third. The buffet was only good for breakfast. There were themed nights at the Blue Marlin that was cute and broke up the monotony. The pools were nice, especially the one overlooking the others. The pool bar does not know how to do a basic cocktail, and always for us at least served watered down spirits. I got 5 different versions of an amaretto sour. It was kinda funny.

Activity wise you can lounge on the beach. You can also walk to a beach that is maybe a 10 minute walk. Were they shine are the excursions. There are many good looking ones, and we chose the one where you see the local side of DR. That was the highlight as we sampled local food, cocoa, and went to a school. The ride can get very bumpy on that one so try to ride up front. Going to the the blue hole was awesome. It was FREEZING and there were lots of people there taking the plunge. To get there its a short walk through a forest so flimsy flip flops aren't a good idea.

Overall the resort to me is a solid three star. I thinks it's totally fine for a weekend. Only more if you are doing a lot of excursions, and it is your home base.

Room Tip: Try to get a higher floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank FinAndFiona

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback about your recent stay at our hotel.

We are so thrilled to learn that you enjoyed our facilities. I would like to thank you for your recommendations, our guest’s opinion are very important for us, this the only way that we can know about your preferences and improve our service, thank you very much for your notes, I have sent your comments to the corresponding managers in order to take them under consideration and improve the procedures at the mentioned departments

We hope to have the honor to host you again in the future.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We just got back on sunday eve from being at this amazing resort with three other families, the service was wonderful everyone was so friendly Raul one of the managers always took care of us no matter where he saw us. The pool bar was always happening Carlos, Jr , Julio and Margarita where always there, and of course cant say any less for Enrique another manager just on top of the game. oh and i cant forget to mention Menor he knows how to party. Thanks guys for an amazing vacation the resort is its own little town and the beautiful landscape is breath taking. Cant wait to be back real soon, We already miss all the staff. The Kondo's

Room Tip: must get the ocean font villas they are perfect.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank marisolk01

Dear Guest,

Thank you for share on Trip Advisor your recent experience in our Sanctuary.

We are so thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana. At Sanctuary Cap Cana it is our pleasure to service our guest with the finest hospitality. We want to guarantee a vacation that will be unforgettable. Thank you for you kind remarks and recognition of efforts. Please tell your friends about our hotel.